Do any of you have a wand?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Just a question that occured to me. Who's got wand and what kind of wood is it made from? Did you pluck it from the ground, or cut it from the tree with a silver knife or buy it in a shop?

I've always wanted a wand, just never found one that seemed to speak to me.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I have two. One is a nice long piece of what I suspect is pine that jumped into my hand one year on a hike in the woods.

The other is willow, and it's one I picked myself, brought home and decorated with a crystal, some ribbon, and a bit of sparkle. It seems to be more decorative than functional, because I prefer to use my plain pine one.

I actually lust for one I saw in a catalog, it's got a metal handle and a quartz on one end, with a serpent and a Celtic knotwork on it. It's horribly ostentatious, but I love it. It's also about $70.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I use a maple wand that I've had for about 10 or maybe 12 years. I also wanted it to speak to me, but I thought I was out of luck at first. I just couldn't find it.

I looked and looked in the forest behind where we used to live, but I couldn't come to terms with cutting a branch for my own "selfish" purposes. I also didn't want to take something dead that was lying on the ground. At the end of my trek, I found a perfect branch, broken by a recent storm, but still hanging from the tree. I decided that Mama Maple gave the wand to me. While we lived there, I took an offering to the tree every week afterward and always referred to her as the "mama" tree. I miss that place.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I have one I made from a hollow copper pipe that used to be part of a lightning rod, silk cord, and several different stones that are welded to the tips and beaded around the shaft (sorry if that sounds a bit dirty ;) ); with herbs and a few other things inside.

It looks prettier than it sounds, I swear.

It's more of a meditation tool than anything else these days, but it was a blast to make.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have cool pictures of their wands?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm wondering if I can get my dad to hand turn me one on his lathe...I'd get him the wood if I could find the right kind. Willow sounds nice, or maple. I have a giant maple, and she's always losing branches, none of them ever seem to be 'right'.

I guess I'm partial to smooth and elegant instead of bumpy and rustic. I like the idea of filling it with herbs.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
So, to all you wand-users out there....

This may sound a little stupid, but I'm agonna ask it anyway: What do you use your wand for?

One of my friends only used hers for invoking; another used his the way I have always used an athame - pretty much for all things involving the direction of energy. As my wand was made for something fairly specific, it doesn't get used very often outside of meditation these days. And I love my athame, so I tend to use that for casting, charging, invoking, etc..

Just curious...

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
What you use your wand for really depends on the person. I use mine for the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (which I really should do more often), in spellwork, chakra healing (because I set chakra-related stones into the wood), and meditation. It just depends on my mood really.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to sound silly, but I didn't know people really used wands. This is a fascinating thread.

Does the wand help to focus?

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
It's sort of an instrument, and creativity LIKES to focus in our hands, if you think about it. My Nana used a broom. My Ma (great-grandmother) used an old blackthorn shileleigh with a whitby jet acorn set in a knot that came loose. I still have it. :)

I use an athame for cutting and a wand that has symbolic items worked into it for drawing or banishing a circle, etc. I like to hold things in my hands. I like pens, pencils, pendulums, anything that connects me to the work via my hands is positive for me. A wand that incorporated color and a TINY black stone to help bind my power was essential. I added the rabbit fur as a way to incorporate my fear as a positive thing.

The making of it was a very special, private weekend. That empowers the article, too.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's sort of an instrument, and creativity LIKES to focus in our hands, if you think about it. My Nana used a broom. My Ma (great-grandmother) used an old blackthorn shileleigh with a whitby jet acorn set in a knot that came loose. I still have it. :)

I use an athame for cutting and a wand that has symbolic items worked into it for drawing or banishing a circle, etc. I like to hold things in my hands. I like pens, pencils, pendulums, anything that connects me to the work via my hands is positive for me. A wand that incorporated color and a TINY black stone to help bind my power was essential. I added the rabbit fur as a way to incorporate my fear as a positive thing.

The making of it was a very special, private weekend. That empowers the article, too.
What is an athame? And a banishing circle?

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
What you use your wand for really depends on the person. I use mine for the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (which I really should do more often), in spellwork, chakra healing (because I set chakra-related stones into the wood), and meditation. It just depends on my mood really.

I have a stone I use for chakra healing. Is there a certain wood that would work best in combination with chakra properties if I was to combine them into a wand?
Does anyone do that? Use a certain type wood to intensify the power of an object you add to it?

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a traditional wand, but I used a 5 ft tall walking stick for many years. I used it to ground to earth energy, or draw it up, and I took it on many, many walks, in addition to using it in ritual. It finally bit the dust a couple of years ago, and I've never found another one that I connected with like that one. I think it was made of sassafras, and it had a special energy all its own.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a stone I use for chakra healing. Is there a certain wood that would work best in combination with chakra properties if I was to combine them into a wand?
Does anyone do that? Use a certain type wood to intensify the power of an object you add to it?
I actually had to research that a bit. I know that clear quartz crystal is a pretty decent all-purpose stone and can strengthen nearly anything you do, but I hadn't thought about the properties of a particular wood being that way. What I'm seeing is that Myrtle might be a good choice. My wand is Maple and I have different stones set into it representing each chakra point.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you're doing, but generally speaking your wand concentrates and then sends out the energy you're directing at a particular thing or situation. It's a tool.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Seems to me, and don't take this the wrong way, that it seems more of a crutch than a tool.

Can't you just use your finger or even just your mind?

Because I've always thought of wands as fiction accouterments, not real honest to goodness magical devices.