PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have a wand?

Christine N.
07-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Just a question that occured to me. Who's got wand and what kind of wood is it made from? Did you pluck it from the ground, or cut it from the tree with a silver knife or buy it in a shop?

I've always wanted a wand, just never found one that seemed to speak to me.

PattiTheWicked
07-30-2007, 04:40 AM
I have two. One is a nice long piece of what I suspect is pine that jumped into my hand one year on a hike in the woods.

The other is willow, and it's one I picked myself, brought home and decorated with a crystal, some ribbon, and a bit of sparkle. It seems to be more decorative than functional, because I prefer to use my plain pine one.

I actually lust for one I saw in a catalog, it's got a metal handle and a quartz on one end, with a serpent and a Celtic knotwork on it. It's horribly ostentatious, but I love it. It's also about $70.

Christine N.
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
LOL. I admit I lust after the ones on Alivan's site (http://www.alivans.com). I know it's a Harry Potter type of magic thing, but it's fun. And they're real wood, handmade.

They have this one with carved ivy vines around the handle...
So...pretty...(and most of them less than $70)

Carole
07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I use a maple wand that I've had for about 10 or maybe 12 years. I also wanted it to speak to me, but I thought I was out of luck at first. I just couldn't find it.

I looked and looked in the forest behind where we used to live, but I couldn't come to terms with cutting a branch for my own "selfish" purposes. I also didn't want to take something dead that was lying on the ground. At the end of my trek, I found a perfect branch, broken by a recent storm, but still hanging from the tree. I decided that Mama Maple gave the wand to me. While we lived there, I took an offering to the tree every week afterward and always referred to her as the "mama" tree. I miss that place.

Christine N.
07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Did you do anything to it, Carole? Strip the bark or sand it or anything? Wrap the handle in ribbon?

sunna
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
I have one I made from a hollow copper pipe that used to be part of a lightning rod, silk cord, and several different stones that are welded to the tips and beaded around the shaft (sorry if that sounds a bit dirty ;) ); with herbs and a few other things inside.

It looks prettier than it sounds, I swear.

It's more of a meditation tool than anything else these days, but it was a blast to make.

Sarita
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I think we saw a pic of Carole's wand in a post a while back. Let me see if I can find it...

ETA: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=674&d=1130824006

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=675&d=1130824171

Christine N.
07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Sweet! Thanks, Saritams :)

MMcC
07-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Hawthorne, with moonstone, citrine, aventurine, turquoise, amethyst, garnet, obsidian, a hawk's feather, and rabbit skin binding.

Sarita
08-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Does anyone else have cool pictures of their wands?

Christine N.
08-01-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm wondering if I can get my dad to hand turn me one on his lathe...I'd get him the wood if I could find the right kind. Willow sounds nice, or maple. I have a giant maple, and she's always losing branches, none of them ever seem to be 'right'.

I guess I'm partial to smooth and elegant instead of bumpy and rustic. I like the idea of filling it with herbs.

sunna
08-01-2007, 04:33 AM
So, to all you wand-users out there....

This may sound a little stupid, but I'm agonna ask it anyway: What do you use your wand for?

One of my friends only used hers for invoking; another used his the way I have always used an athame - pretty much for all things involving the direction of energy. As my wand was made for something fairly specific, it doesn't get used very often outside of meditation these days. And I love my athame, so I tend to use that for casting, charging, invoking, etc..

Just curious...

MMcC
08-01-2007, 05:29 AM
If I draw a small circle... banishing... calling. I've been known to use it to discharge or draw energy. I use my athame almost exclusively for cutting.

Carole
08-04-2007, 05:17 PM
What you use your wand for really depends on the person. I use mine for the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (which I really should do more often), in spellwork, chakra healing (because I set chakra-related stones into the wood), and meditation. It just depends on my mood really.

sassandgroove
08-06-2007, 10:40 PM
I hate to sound silly, but I didn't know people really used wands. This is a fascinating thread.

Does the wand help to focus?

RumpleTumbler
08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
In my best Mr. Spock voice....."Fascinating."

MMcC
08-06-2007, 11:59 PM
It's sort of an instrument, and creativity LIKES to focus in our hands, if you think about it. My Nana used a broom. My Ma (great-grandmother) used an old blackthorn shileleigh with a whitby jet acorn set in a knot that came loose. I still have it. :)

I use an athame for cutting and a wand that has symbolic items worked into it for drawing or banishing a circle, etc. I like to hold things in my hands. I like pens, pencils, pendulums, anything that connects me to the work via my hands is positive for me. A wand that incorporated color and a TINY black stone to help bind my power was essential. I added the rabbit fur as a way to incorporate my fear as a positive thing.

The making of it was a very special, private weekend. That empowers the article, too.

sassandgroove
08-07-2007, 12:19 AM
It's sort of an instrument, and creativity LIKES to focus in our hands, if you think about it. My Nana used a broom. My Ma (great-grandmother) used an old blackthorn shileleigh with a whitby jet acorn set in a knot that came loose. I still have it. :)

I use an athame for cutting and a wand that has symbolic items worked into it for drawing or banishing a circle, etc. I like to hold things in my hands. I like pens, pencils, pendulums, anything that connects me to the work via my hands is positive for me. A wand that incorporated color and a TINY black stone to help bind my power was essential. I added the rabbit fur as a way to incorporate my fear as a positive thing.

The making of it was a very special, private weekend. That empowers the article, too.What is an athame? And a banishing circle?

MMcC
08-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Athame= ritual knife.

Ali B
08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
What you use your wand for really depends on the person. I use mine for the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (which I really should do more often), in spellwork, chakra healing (because I set chakra-related stones into the wood), and meditation. It just depends on my mood really.

I have a stone I use for chakra healing. Is there a certain wood that would work best in combination with chakra properties if I was to combine them into a wand?
Does anyone do that? Use a certain type wood to intensify the power of an object you add to it?

plaidearthworm
08-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I didn't have a traditional wand, but I used a 5 ft tall walking stick for many years. I used it to ground to earth energy, or draw it up, and I took it on many, many walks, in addition to using it in ritual. It finally bit the dust a couple of years ago, and I've never found another one that I connected with like that one. I think it was made of sassafras, and it had a special energy all its own.

Carole
08-08-2007, 04:50 AM
I have a stone I use for chakra healing. Is there a certain wood that would work best in combination with chakra properties if I was to combine them into a wand?
Does anyone do that? Use a certain type wood to intensify the power of an object you add to it?
I actually had to research that a bit. I know that clear quartz crystal is a pretty decent all-purpose stone and can strengthen nearly anything you do, but I hadn't thought about the properties of a particular wood being that way. What I'm seeing is that Myrtle might be a good choice. My wand is Maple and I have different stones set into it representing each chakra point.

Bartholomew
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
May I ask what a wand does?

Carole
08-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Depends on what you're doing, but generally speaking your wand concentrates and then sends out the energy you're directing at a particular thing or situation. It's a tool.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Seems to me, and don't take this the wrong way, that it seems more of a crutch than a tool.

Can't you just use your finger or even just your mind?

Because I've always thought of wands as fiction accouterments, not real honest to goodness magical devices.

plaidearthworm
08-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but a wand is a traditional tool of magic. Some people go in for the full kit, including wand, athame, etc. In mainstream faith terms, using your finger as a wand would be like going to church for communion, and having the priest just stick his finger in your mouth (everyone, make up your own punchline) and recite the words; it's just not the same. Some don't use a wand, but for those who do, it's usually an item that means a lot to them personally. When you work with magical tools, after a while they acquire a...feeling, for lack of a better word. At least, for me, they do. A familiarity and a mood. And, after many years, using a wand is like using a finger, because it is part of you. Hope this helps!

Carole
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Seems to me, and don't take this the wrong way, that it seems more of a crutch than a tool.

Because I've always thought of wands as fiction accouterments, not real honest to goodness magical devices.

While wands aren't fiction accoutrement, you absolutely can achieve your goal without them. Many of us believe that the power we use is 100% from our minds.

Are you familiar with Rosicrucian theory?

Christine N.
08-10-2007, 09:30 PM
You can use your mind, sure, you can just use a wand to focus the energy. If that makes sense. Some people have trouble focusing unless they have a physical object to focuse on or with.

Ali B
08-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I actually had to research that a bit. I know that clear quartz crystal is a pretty decent all-purpose stone and can strengthen nearly anything you do, but I hadn't thought about the properties of a particular wood being that way. What I'm seeing is that Myrtle might be a good choice. My wand is Maple and I have different stones set into it representing each chakra point.

Oooo! Myrtle is my favorite tree! That sounds so...right. I do use clear quartz crystal. Thanks for your help.

Carole
08-12-2007, 01:23 AM
You can use your mind, sure, you can just use a wand to focus the energy. If that makes sense. Some people have trouble focusing unless they have a physical object to focuse on or with.

That's so true. Eastern civilization SO blows us away in regard to discipline of the mind. A wand could surely be referred to as a crutch, but it's a mighty purdy one!

Oooo! Myrtle is my favorite tree! That sounds so...right. I do use clear quartz crystal. Thanks for your help.

Right on! Hubby saw a beautiful tree recently and he says he wants them in the yard of our new house. Yep - Myrtle.

frimble3
08-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Same way that a orchestra conductor could just use his finger to indicate what he wants, but a proper baton emphasizes the movements for all the musicians to see, and gives both him and the musicians something to focus on.

TsukiRyoko
09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I carved my first wand out of a beautiful local white willow that I'd always write and sit under. I used to do a lot of wishing and moon magicks, so it suited me well. I spent 3 whole days just striping the bark (I wanted to really pour my soul into it, so I didn't use anything other than my hands). It's very rustic looking, still has all of its knots and crevices and everything, and I love it to death. I still have it and use it often, but didn't give it the crystal quartz and moonstone tip until recently. I anoint it often and let it rest on blessed herbal beds on a full moont night before I use it, but other than that, I keep it looking plain and rustic out of preference. I like being able to feel how the wood is naturally, because it helps me get into the mood quicker.

I've always liked thinner wands (they feel so much more natural in my hand), so giving my wand an herbal core wouldn't work, but it sounds like a fun idea for my next wand.

I think I'm going to make a newer wand, possibly out of rowan, ash, or elder. I don't know why, but they've been calling my name a lot. This one will probably look a bit fancier than my last one, but it will still look like it just came off the tree for the most part.

TsukiRyoko
09-06-2007, 02:08 AM

Actually, if I'm doing smaller spellwork or something, I use my power hand. I usually only stick to my wand in ritual, because of it's symbolism and channeling.

Branwyn
09-07-2007, 12:51 AM
My first wand was from the forest. I don't know what tree the branch came from and I used a pine cone at the end. Then I made one from copper and put crystals on either end. Now I use my finger.

HeronW
01-26-2008, 02:36 AM
I made two wands, the first came from a root I picked up at a writer's conference, of all things. I was given some sand paper by 'Wanda the Wandmaker'--lovely woman. Only after I'd smoothed the worst parts and then held it in my right hand--where it fit like a door handle. It has a small twin-ended crystal in the depression at the top. That's with me now. Years later I made one of a copper pipe-18" long, wrapped with leather, set with 12 stones--it really rocks.

truelyana
01-26-2008, 03:31 AM

That's what I do! Use my finger sometimes, and other times my mind.

truelyana
01-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Actually, if I'm doing smaller spellwork or something, I use my power hand. I usually only stick to my wand in ritual, because of it's symbolism and channeling.

Have you got a tail, you could use instead? (Yes, a tail positioned anywhere in your body)

Carole
01-29-2008, 11:13 PM
That's good to know. Everything is sleeping here now, but unfortunately sleeping also makes you wonder if they'll ever wake up! I can't wait to get out there and start my very first "digging in the dirt" session in my new yard. It's so warm here today that if I didn't have the flu (yuck) I'd be out there clearing away old branches and plotting my garden. Then again, if I didn't have the flu I'd be at work. Phooey on work.

Tell me about Creeping Myrtle. I'm not sure we are thinking about the same thing. The Myrtle that's common here is in tree form. More like an overgrown shrub, but taller.

sunna
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Stones have different meanings and those are what are usually used for chakra work, one stone to represent each chakra. I would recommend Scott Cunningham's book on stones. If you need a quick rundown, I could look up some for you. Just PM me. :e2fish:

I also recommend The Crystal Bible; a bit hard to look things up in it, but there's so much great info in that book it's easily worth the hassle. Plus it has pictures, so if you've got something and you're not sure what it is you can look it up that way. (I have a friend who loves to give me cool stones she's found or bought just because she was thinking of me, but she never remembers what they are; so this function comes in quite handy. :))