The Creative Name I call Myself Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreativityWorks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EntrepreneurTheArts.com
As a creative person, a newbie writer and a professional clarinetist, I am fascinated by what drives the creative process. So much so I have a book written about it. I was wondering how as a writer you think about your work?

I read a lot of posts about having a need to write, an uncontrollable urge that speaks so loudly to most of you that you simply must write. I of course understand that creative fuel and it needs no particular explaination... but what drives it?

Do the images and stories in your head speak so loudly to you that you must write them down and so you do? Is that what drives you? Do you write like an entrepreneur thinks, pioneering new thoughts in seach of believers? Is this the prevailing electricity that flows through your written word?

What is it for you?

Last edited:

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I have a little man that lives in my head-he keeps knocking on the inside of my forehead-quite hard at times-till I allow him to speak and I am forced to write down the shit that he dictates to me-I have absolutely no control over him and his attacks-otherwise I would be doing more laying about which is after all the thing that I do best!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yup-but over the years I have managed to just give in to him as he pays for the beamers and the boats-what a ya gonna do?

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yup-plus it beats the hell out of working'!!!! By the by it is a good thread-wonder what the others are up to?

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I have that voice in my head, too. I've noticed that when I go a long time without writing, I don't notice or pick-up on things that people say as much. When I'm in a writing mode, I hear things differently. Anything that perks my ears up, I think, can I put that somewhere?

Sometimes I think I'm going to remember things I hear, so I don't write it down. I almost never remember. Now I write down situations, conversations or clip out articles from magazines and newspapers and file them in a box.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I see you are a professional flautist-I remember Artis Kraneck-sorry I could never remember how to spell her name-she was the head of the Chicago Lyric Opera-she is in Naples I think and one of those scooter thieves drives by and grabs her purse and she refuses to realease it and gets dragged down the street-she was pretty big and he had a few problems draggin her-some years back I admit-but she got her purse and him-what a lady she was-ran a pretty good ship as well! What that has to do with the thread beats the hell out of me-just thought since you are a musician from the Chicago area-well-just havin a little chat while the others have there tea and cakes-Dave

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I have that voice in my head, too. I've noticed that when I go a long time without writing, I don't notice or pick-up on things that people say as much. When I'm in a writing mode, I hear things differently. Anything that perks my ears up, I think, can I put that somewhere?

Sometimes I think I'm going to remember things I hear, so I don't write it down. I almost never remember. Now I write down situations, conversations or clip out articles from magazines and newspapers and file them in a box.

Yup-I have so many note pad sheets in my clothing-wallet-hell it is everywhere-he gets to talking-that little bugger I mean-and he wont even allow me a peanut butter and jelly sammich unless I write down what he is saying-Cheese what a little pushy bugger he is. I actually found a rumpled up piece of paper with a hell of an idea for an article in the bottom of my old jogging shoes-I think I had had one to many-hell it does make you search for the damned things-they could be anywhere-anywhere I tell ya!

Oh and welcome to you two-it is always fun to have new meat around the joint!!!!

CreativityWorks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, Ardis was great. She passed away not long ago. ( I looked up the date on line and how quickly time passes- it was 97) I never worked with her as I have primarily played in chamber music settings and with orchestras. I actually play the clarinet but always wanted to play the flute.

Last edited:

CreativityWorks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yup-I have so many note pad sheets in my clothing-wallet-hell it is everywhere-he gets to talking-that little bugger I mean-and he wont even allow me a peanut butter and jelly sammich unless I write down what he is saying-Cheese what a little pushy bugger he is. I actually found a rumpled up piece of paper with a hell of an idea for an article in the bottom of my old jogging shoes-I think I had had one to many-hell it does make you search for the damned things-they could be anywhere-anywhere I tell ya!

Oh and welcome to you two-it is always fun to have new meat around the joint!!!!
Great visual with that comment!! And it might even be true...

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Artis was great. She passed away not long ago. I never worked with her as I have primarily played in chamber music settings and with orchestras. I actually play the clarinet but always wanted to play the flute.

Shit what a dumb bunny I am-sorry about that kiddo-clarinet-beautiful-if you were a dude it would be also a lot more macho-JUST KIDDING! Artis thanks for the spelling-she was a tough lady and knew her job a lot better than most-a lot tougher running a theatre here than in Europe!!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Creative name

Does anyone simply write because they want to write, and without the artsy mumbo jumbo?

CreativityWorks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shit what a dumb bunny I am-sorry about that kiddo-clarinet-beautiful-if you were a dude it would be also a lot more macho-JUST KIDDING! Artis thanks for the spelling-she was a tough lady and knew her job a lot better than most-a lot tougher running a theatre here than in Europe!!
Yes indeed Ardis was a tough one. When I attended Northwestern the teacher I studied with, Robert Marcellus, was the same way. But he got you to produce magical moments... it was the style back then.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to write. I wouldn't die if I couldn't write. It isn't my entire life. but I would still sit around making up stories to entertain myself. But I enjoy writing and if I can write down the stories I entertain myself with and someone pays me money for them, what's not to like?

Now if I couldn't read anymore? Ack!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone simply write because they want to write, and without the artsy mumbo jumbo?

Christ what the hell would I do without the artsy fartsy mumbo jumbo-well hell maybe I'd just be an old lack of artsy farty mumbo jumbo burger flipper! Not that there is anything wrong with flipping-it is after all our American Heritage

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Fox Lake is hoppin' today. I just got off the water about 15 minutes ago. The sunshine and the breeze inspire me to write. I write with great intensity after boat rides...

Well you know what they say among arsty fartsy circles-write till your bum fall off-or at least while it is all wrinkled up cause what you been in the lake too long!!!!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Well I would like to write tonight actually but I have rehersal. I am going to Italy next week to play with a group as their soloist. Rossini Theme and Variations... so the clarinet is taking priority for awhile..

Oh alright bought watch your armbratchair-your lips must not get chapped-please take care alright and if you go anywhere near Verona go and check out the opera at the arena!

CreativityWorks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like to write. I wouldn't die if I couldn't write. It isn't my entire life. but I would still sit around making up stories to entertain myself. But I enjoy writing and if I can write down the stories I entertain myself with and someone pays me money for them, what's not to like?

Now if I couldn't read anymore? Ack!
So writing is a form of entertainment for you- its your indulgence for yourself? If you never get paid to do it would that also be ok? Whatever I passionately embrace I have to make money at or I get bored..It becomes a game to me on some level to see how efficiently I can make money at something I enjoy doing....

davids

Banned
Reaction score
So writing is a form of entertainment for you- its your indulgence for yourself? If you never get paid to do it would that also be ok? Whatever I passionately embrace I have to make money at or I get bored..It becomes a game to me on some level to see how efficiently I can make money at something I enjoy doing....

You don't mean to tell me there are writers not making money from their writing-say it aint so-please and Cheese Whizackers

Status
Not open for further replies.