How many sailors does it take...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lets say I have a 'small' trade ship- time period is roughly 1400s, so a wooden vessel with a few sails and whatnot. A nice deck with more room below... but we're not talkin the Black Pearl here...
And what size would a 'small' trade ship be- 40 feet?

How many sailors would it take to man the ship, excluding the captain and his first mate... and is first mate capitalized? That's driving me batty ;)

Cheers,
Christina

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Well, all that would depend on where the ship was sailing from and what sort of sailing it was doing. Crossing the ocean would have required different types of ships than sailing up and down rivers or around the coast. For deep ocean in the 1400s you'd probably be talking about either a carrack or a more primitive galleon (like the Nina and Pinta), unless you were in the east in which case it would have been a junk. The smallest length I've heard of for the carracks and galleons was around 60-65ft. If the ship is much smaller than that they just wouldn't have been able to carry enough cargo. For comparison, the Black Pearl in POTC is 84ft, and she's also a galleon, reminiscent of a circa 1600 design.

A small galleon (like the Nina) could be sailed by as few as six or so experienced sailors, but a normal crew compliment would have been somewhere around 20-30 or maybe even more. They needed to take extra men to allow for the deaths during long ocean crossings.

I've never seen first mate capitalized.

If you put in more specifics I can probably answer your question better. I know a good bit about sailing ships (and steam ships, but those weren't around in the 1400s).

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
60 feet huh? *takes out all jokes referring to the size of the Captain's ship* (j/k!)

6-10 sailors sounds great for what I need. (translation- I'm so sick of side characters. Even when downplayed they are a pain in the butt!)

The ship trades on the open ocean- but in a strip between continents. It spends a lot of time near the coast.

By east do you mean eastern europe or asia? My setting is loosely based on medieval Poland...

Cheers,
Christina

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
By east I meant Asia. Are you writing an actual historical, or are you writing fantasy with a 1400s tech level?

I know what you mean about the ship's crew being an annoying plethora of secondary characters, LOL. My enchanted galleon has a crew of sixty, but only fifteen or so that I bothered naming. The rest are just sort of 'there'.

It was quite typical for deep ocean ships to hug the coast when they could, since the longer they had to go between ports the more supplies they had to carry, meaning less cargo space.

How important is the ship in your story? Is there a lot of time spent aboard it? If so, there's going to be a lot that you'll need to know in order to make it realistic. Even in fantasy you need a basis in historical fact so it sounds real, even if it's different than how things were on this world. I'm happy to answer whatever questions you have. I've spent nearly a year studying historical ships and have even gone sailing on a real tall ship, all as research for my own writing.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I dunno about 1400's, but I lived on a 40 foot sailboat when I was a kid. My parents could run it by themselves, although three adults was best. Of course now everything is streamlined. Incidentally, 4 adults on a 40 footer is a bit cramped. :)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Modern sailing ships are a lot easier to handle than the old galleons. If you thought 4 people on a 40 foot ship was cramped, imagine 40 people on a 60 foot ship.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, 4 adults on a 40 footer is a bit cramped. :)

Ha! Only 4? I frequently use to be the youngest of 6 or more(!) people on a 42 foot sailboat. Yep, I slept in some crammed hall (I know, you don't call them hallways... the word is escaping me).

Anywho :)

Yep, Fantasy novel that is paralleled with 1400s Poland.... if Poland were much smaller and the south-central country in a peninsula ;)

As it stands now, my MC boards the ship and just hangs out while they sail to their destination. She talks with her friends and the Captain (also her friend) but not the sailors. Pretty dry stuff, but I figured I better spice it up a little (even if I just make a comment about the sailors working the rigging or somesuch), thus this thread.

The ship is important in getting them around and behind the enemy. They are on it for a few hours... MC is focused on her revenge ;)

And I just realized- how far (roughly) can a ship travel in a few hours? (Say 12 hours). I know this depends on the wind and the ship, but I just need a rough range. I may have to shorten my coastline to make this work!

Cheers,
Christina

graybeard

Hull speed

Ha! Only 4? I frequently use to be the youngest of 6 or more(!) people on a 42 foot sailboat. Yep, I slept in some crammed hall (I know, you don't call them hallways... the word is escaping me).

Anywho :)

Yep, Fantasy novel that is paralleled with 1400s Poland.... if Poland were much smaller and the south-central country in a peninsula ;)

As it stands now, my MC boards the ship and just hangs out while they sail to their destination. She talks with her friends and the Captain (also her friend) but not the sailors. Pretty dry stuff, but I figured I better spice it up a little (even if I just make a comment about the sailors working the rigging or somesuch), thus this thread.

The ship is important in getting them around and behind the enemy. They are on it for a few hours... MC is focused on her revenge ;)

And I just realized- how far (roughly) can a ship travel in a few hours? (Say 12 hours). I know this depends on the wind and the ship, but I just need a rough range. I may have to shorten my coastline to make this work!

Cheers,
Christina

Hull speed is determined by length of hull. Ship of 60 - 65 ft. would be straining to make 7 nautical knots per hour. Running before the wind, perhaps 9. Grandad was captain of a "fore n' after" -sails follow length of hull. Your ship had sails across the beam.
john

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
You might like...

to check the resources sticky in the Historical section of genre. There are some good references to things like the National Maritime Museum UK website where you can find loads of information and pictures etc.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Running before the wind, perhaps 9.

:cry: I was afraid of that. ...well, actually, it could still work... they don't have to sail thattt far, what's a few more hours.

Thanks for the additional info graybeard and pdr!

Christina

Status
Not open for further replies.