We discuss Distribution and putting books on shelves. How do you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
How does one nail a competent distributor or two? One that goes out and sells books to the bookstores.

It's the single key to being successful, so how does a publisher accomplish this? Who do they approach and what to do they show off?

Any answers, even conflicting ones will be very helpful. If you like you can consider your answer a birthday present for my sixtieth today.

Regards,
Scott

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Scott! I work for a book publisher (educational materials only). We have a sales force that goes out and stomps the pavement visiting the stores that are usual buyers, we have booths at BEA and other conferences, for the large markets (clubs like Sams etc.) we do scheduled presentations.

What do we show off - new product even up to a year before it's off the presses as mock-ups, backlist items that are available, and in a few rare instances, overstocked items that are discounted. We have a very comprehensive catalog that gets mailed out to all the potential buyers - but follow up in person visits are what make the sales.

On a different tact - I've seen on the Barnes and Noble website that they have a topic on how to get them to pick up your book. From what I understand, it's not that hard to get a book on Amazon.com. Printers may be linked to specific distributors (Ingram, etc.) Puma

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I'll mirror what Puma says. But you asked how you obtain an independent distributor, and this is more difficult. Distributors have sales forces that cover a wide territory. They have established relationships with genre buyers from all the indies, chain stores, and libraries. Everyone knows that competition is fierce, so distributors are predictably choosy about their clients. The lineup, or series, has to be marketable and the publisher has to have an established promotional machine. It's a buyer's market, and indie distributors have the luxury of being choosy.

First off, you'll need to fill out a financial statement and include your business plan. You'll include your lineup and sales history. If a distributor finds your company (or book series for the self-pubbed author) marketable, they'll charge anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 to become a client.

Some distributors are better than others, and some I'd avoid at all costs - even though they have a big name. IPG is very good. And very expensive. I've heard many success stores of those who are with IPG and some heartbreaker stories. Always keep in mind that just because you've been signed on with any distributor, if you don't bring in the goods - meaning your books aren't selling - you more than likely will be dumped after a year or so.

The main thing to do when shopping for an independent distributor is to ask around. If you find someone you like, call their clients and talk to them.

It's the single key to being successful, so how does a publisher accomplish this? Who do they approach and what to do they show off?
It's not the single key to being successful. Distributors get the book in front of genre buyers, but they aren't miracle workers. First thing buyers ask is, "What are the publisher and author doing to promote this title? How are they creating demand?" If they aren't doing anything, it's going to be a hard sell. They look for an author's platform, and that's why you'll see IPG and most other good distributors are heavy handed with nonfiction and niche works. It's easier to sell.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. Happy birthday!

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Priceless and Puma--and anyone else that pitches in.

It would have been a better birthday if I hadn't tried to twist my left off in a fall on the 26th. I'm limping about on a boot and a crutch at the moment.

regards,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.