Using existing contacts with writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
I had three professors last year at school who were successful novelists. One liked me, I think, one did not dislike me, and one probably doesn't know who I am.

How do authors respond when you ask them to read something you've written? How would you go about asking an author for help in getting a novel published? Is it useful to try to network with authors who write in a completely different genre from yours? Are authors usually flattered that you ask, or offended that you're trying to use them as connections?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
They're people so they'll respond in different ways. A nice guy will more likely be nice about the request because he's a nice guy; an ass will also respond true to form.

I wouldn't expect much from writers outside my genre unless you're looking for generic information about your manuscript. For example, if a guy doesn't read mysteries, he may not like your book no matter how good it is -- it's just not his thing. If he doesn't read mysteries, is he qualified to offer opinions on your pacing, plot twists, etc. Your book may be filled with mystery no-no's and horrible cliches but he would know it because he writes/reads Civil War-era historical fiction?

For example, westerns bore me. If I read your western chances are I'll be bored, my comments will reflect that, and it really has nothing to do with the quality of your work.

This is not to say you shouldn't network with them. I find other writers fascinating and enjoy talking with them about their work. Writers are a passionate bunch and fun to hang out with. Listening to Peter Reinhart talk about baking bread is quite an experience, for example, for a mundane topic.

Last edited:

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
Writers are people. Ask them if they might like to read it, ask them if they have any advice or suggestions, celebrate if they say yes and be prepared for what they have to tell you, and don't take it to heart if they don't tell you what you want to hear, or they say no, they simply can't do it. It could be they don't like the genre, it could be they don't feel qualified, it could be that they are just having a crappy day or they are swamped with work or their dog just died. It never hurts to ask though -- and its a brave and smart thing to do!

As for me, I only ask people who know nothing about writing to read my work --it's safer that way :). I'm too chicken to ask people in the know, like the people here at AW, what they think of my work, because I'm not prepared yet to hear the honest facts. Maybe some day I'll venture into SYW, but not yet!!! Maybe when I have 7 or 8 more books written, I'll finally find the courage to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.