• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Want to be good at science? Take lots of math

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This is so beyond "duh" as to have no humanly utterable equivalent.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duh indeed. I wonder if we could get a grant for a study to determine if scientific research causes cancer in laboratory rats?

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the conclusion of the study is NOT the same as the title of the article. In fact, near the end it says: "But Wheeler, who was not part of the research group, cautioned that a correlation isn't necessarily the same as cause and effect."

It doesn't say the taking more math (cause) will make you better in science (effect). It says that the same people who take more math also tend to do better in science.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't say the taking more math (cause) will make you better in science (effect). It says that the same people who take more math also tend to do better in science.
Yeah, and that should be pretty obvious. It's like saying people who take skating lessons tend to do better in hockey. :)

ETA: I concede my lab rat joke is more cause & effect, and therefore not a good example. But I still think we could get a grant for the study. ;)

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
... I wonder if we could get a grant for a study to determine if scientific research causes cancer in laboratory rats?
The grant would be nice, albeit belated...

One of the problems of research is that often, observing an event or a process with hopes of a certain outcome can, in fact, cause the expected outcome to occur.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I am so not speaking to you today, pthom. So there!

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
It's amazing that this is a news story, or that it required some kind of reasearch, or that any grant is available for this. After all, there is math in every science book. Math is a pre-requisite. So, um, understanding the pre-requisite helps do better on a topic?

The relevant Family Guy moment is:
The Quahog newscast of the day ... "A major study was just released on the subject of whether bees can think, and -- let me check -- no, they can't."