Another SYW challenge?

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Anyone interested in doing another Historical SYW challenge? I might even work up the courage to post something this time. :)

Maybe we can do something on a topic, like love scenes, fight scenes, sex scenes, death scenes, childbirth scenes. Something that might come up in most of our pieces.

What do you all think?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly think it's easier on everyone to post specific chapters (especially the first) because if you post something from the middle there's an issue of the reader knowing who the characters are and what's been going on. (And it's also easier for the poster to just grab the chapter than figure out where to begin and where to end.) But, as always, I'm game. Puma

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I understand what you're saying, Puma, and I agree that first chapters are easier. In my case, though, I don't necessarly write the beginning first, and I don't necessarly seperate out into chapters until I'm done, so that's why scenes work better for me. That, and I thought it would be neat to compare how we all handle a similar theme (love, anger, etc.) based on the characters and the time period that we are writing on.

Just a suggestion!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm game, but I can't play if you do childbirth scenes. I've never written one.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
How about...

posting in SYW every fortnight:

1 a fight scene
2 a love scene
3 a first meeting between the MC and the enemy
4 a first meeting between the male and female leads
5 the opening hook scene
6 a death scene
7 the moment of truth/aha/gotcha scene
8 an important decision scene
9 a discovery of an important fact scene
10 the ending scene

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ambitious, pdr! I do think that it's better for each "thread"/post by each individual writer to be one thread. In Western they've put up threads for shoot-outs, etc., but everyone posts in the same thread and there aren't a lot of specific comments made to any individual poster. I think it's advantageous for each poster to get comments relevant to his or her post.

So - if we start expanding, maybe we could title each thread Love:WIP title, or Fight:WIP title, or whatever - but make sure it's identified by topic in the thread heading just like we did with the HCh1 threads. Puma

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
Scenes are great, but how about doing brief characterizations or descriptions, particularly of the famous historical characters in the story? This would interest me immensely.

I just read GG Kay's new fantasy Ysabel, where his story's prologue is three pages of description, including history, of Provence. It didn't work for me. I doubt, if he were not an already successful writer, if he could have found any publisher to accept this as a beginning. But we do need such information, and I think it would be fun to see how others handle this artfully.

Unlike many, I like description and dote on good characterization, but I think both need to be woven into the story. In a sense both can be tells, but they can also be integral to good story telling and turned into shows and scenes. If handled right, they can also be narration as gripping as an action scene.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone interested in doing another Historical SYW challenge? I might even work up the courage to post something this time. :)

Maybe we can do something on a topic, like love scenes, fight scenes, sex scenes, death scenes, childbirth scenes. Something that might come up in most of our pieces.

What do you all think?

I absolutely LOVE this idea, PastMidnight. And pdr's list is a good one, too. If a question is coordinated by topic then the comparisons of different contributions might shed some great light on how we handle each type of scene. Or we can tackle specific problematic issues that come up with writing a particular type of scene - i.e. how to avoid cliches in a love scene.

This sounds like fun! I'd better get writing, though, since I'm not far enough into my story to contribute more than a couple of these. Thanks for the push! :)

c.e.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Scenes are great, but how about doing brief characterizations or descriptions, particularly of the famous historical characters in the story? This would interest me immensely.

I just read GG Kay's new fantasy Ysabel, where his story's prologue is three pages of description, including history, of Provence. It didn't work for me. I doubt, if he were not an already successful writer, if he could have found any publisher to accept this as a beginning. But we do need such information, and I think it would be fun to see how others handle this artfully.

Unlike many, I like description and dote on good characterization, but I think both need to be woven into the story. In a sense both can be tells, but they can also be integral to good story telling and turned into shows and scenes. If handled right, they can also be narration as gripping as an action scene.

I don't think that 'scene' necessarly has to mean action or dialogue. To use examples from PDR's excellent list, an important decision or first meeting scene may be entirely internal or descriptive. I think by saying 'scene', we aren't forced to put an entire chapter. It may be shorter than that and, therefore, easier for readers to get through on here. I'm with you, though, I'm a sucker for a good description!

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
f a question is coordinated by topic then the comparisons of different contributions might shed some great light on how we handle each type of scene. Or we can tackle specific problematic issues that come up with writing a particular type of scene - i.e. how to avoid cliches in a love scene.

Yes, this is what I was thinking too. And we can get some ideas of how to construct our own scenes on a certain topic by reading everyone elses. For example, I'm unsure of my little fight scene, as I've never been in a fight myself, so I'm curious to see how others (who may be more experienced) have written fight scenes.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
What would you say to maybe starting with something like the 'plot in one sentence' thread over in the novel writing forum? With a very (one or two sentence) plot summary, then we can set each other up for the excerpts that we will later post.

I know we already did a first chapter challenge, but I think we have some new members on the historical forum. What about trying PDR's suggestion of an opening hook scene? Not the whole first chapter, but maybe a few paragraphs, a page, or something. We can set an approximate word limit or not, and see if we can hook the reader in that few paragraphs or pages.

I like PDR's idea of doing it fortnightly (every two weeks), as the challenges wouldn't necessarly be an entire chapter, but rather just brief scenes. And if we have a lot of challenges fairly frequently like that, there might not be as much pressure to have to respond to every challenge. You can pick and choose which ones you want to submit to.

What do you think?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi PastMidnight (and everyone else) - I set up the last challenge (and possibly ones before that). In my opinion, whoever sets up the challenge should read the threads posted in response to the challenge and make comments on each one. I don't have time to do that right now.

So, my suggestion is that one of you volunteer to "host" the challenge, pick one item from pdr's list, post your selection in this thread and let everyone know you're going to do the first fortnight challenge, and then wait a couple days to make sure there's no major disagreement. These work much better is there's only one topic going at a time. Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
How about...

(Yes, pastmidnight, I meant a scene as opposed to a full chapter, rather than the technical meaning of the word scene. So we could just put up bits we're working on for comment and help.)

...instead of getting one person to do everything we share the load this time? If you post an extract/scene/ then you must comment politely and as helpfully as possible on all the other posters' scenes. That way one person, like poor Puma, doesn't get overloaded. And think about the fortnight, maybe people would prefer three or four weeks. That way we could post a scene, then rewrite according to comments and repost to see if we'd made it better. Make sense to those who would like to participate?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi pdr - et al - I think a month is a lot better than a fortnight. We've had more submissions in the first chapters after the first month was over than we did in the first month. Puma

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
(Yes, pastmidnight, I meant a scene as opposed to a full chapter, rather than the technical meaning of the word scene. So we could just put up bits we're working on for comment and help.)

...instead of getting one person to do everything we share the load this time? If you post an extract/scene/ then you must comment politely and as helpfully as possible on all the other posters' scenes. That way one person, like poor Puma, doesn't get overloaded. And think about the fortnight, maybe people would prefer three or four weeks. That way we could post a scene, then rewrite according to comments and repost to see if we'd made it better. Make sense to those who would like to participate?

Sharing the load is good! Puma already does so much. Should the person who is "hosting" a particular topic also have a specific question in mind to discuss about that topic? And should we have any type of word limit on the scenes?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Shall we just...

go with the order of the list?

No need for any one person to host or think up questions.

The poster simply posts their scene/episode and asks: Is this working? Or How do I get this scene to...? Or I'm no good at romance/fights etc help me get this better.

And no, I wouldn't recommend any more info from the poster than the date and place. The words have to work. We posters have to crit the 500+ words without grizzles about who is MC or baddy. If we can't pick who is what then the scene isn't working is it? That's why I suggested scenes and specific moments.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
So, pdr, you're suggesting to start with a fight scene - but, in one thread or as individual threads? No more information given as preamble than the date and the place (sounds good to me). Posts from the beginning to the end of the scene (approximately 500 words give or take). And everyone submitting should nicely critique everyone else who posts. That sound about right?

What if people who want to participate don't have the exact topic posted in their WIPs? For example - I have a heated argument and a recounting of one of the battles of the War of 1812 in mine - but no fight scene per se. My feeling is that I'd pass on the fight scene topic. Agreed? Puma

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
So, pdr, you're suggesting to start with a fight scene - but, in one thread or as individual threads? No more information given as preamble than the date and the place (sounds good to me). Posts from the beginning to the end of the scene (approximately 500 words give or take). And everyone submitting should nicely critique everyone else who posts. That sound about right?

What if people who want to participate don't have the exact topic posted in their WIPs? For example - I have a heated argument and a recounting of one of the battles of the War of 1812 in mine - but no fight scene per se. My feeling is that I'd pass on the fight scene topic. Agreed? Puma

I agree, Puma, that individual threads work better than one thread. So, like last time, we can indicate in the title that it is 'Fight Scene' or whatever, so that folks know it is in response to the challenge.

Sounds great! After years of unfinished works, I've finally finished something and have done one revision, and am looking forward to the comments!

I don't think that 'fight scene' has to necessarly has to be a physical fight. We can leave it up to the authors to determine if something is a fight scene. So, Puma, if you felt that your argument scene could be considered a fight, go for it.

I like the idea of monthly. That's true, I'd forgotten how many people we had responding to the last challenge near to the end of the month. It also gives more people the time to work up the courage to post, if they are a little unsure about it. :) And if someone is using the challenge as motivation to write a certain scene, it gives them time to do that.

I agree that everyone who posts their own scene should critique the others

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I assumed...

we'd follow the SYW format, so yes, each poster posts their own thread, heading it something like Challenge 1. Fight.

The scene should be as long as it takes to make it, I just though 500 + was a reasonable amount.

Yes. Posters shouldn't explain their work. Beginners will do this. Just the date and place.

Yes, you can only post if you comment on the other posts. And, let's get this clear. We need decent crits. So come on posters remember:

NO taking it out on someone who gave you a crit you did not like.

NO comments except about the work posted.

NO 'this isn't as good as that bit you posted last month' comments.

NO 'I looked your work up on the net and none of it is very good is it?' type comments. Comment only on the work presented.

AND please remember that old rule about the halo effect. The written work of people you think you 'know' from this message board will not bear any relationship to how you think they would write. Get over it! Swallow your disappointment and look at the writing, not the writer.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the opposition to the poster qualifying their scene with a sentence or two. I can understand this in terms of first chapters - those should stand alone - but for an isolated scene that can come from anywhere in the book? If it needs context, shouldn't we be able to give a little? I mean, the entire book leading up to that scene is context. I would rather go by the author's judgment on the need for context in this type of challenge. For example, in the fight scene challenge it might be VERY helpful for me to know things like the age and relationship between two characters who are fighting. And if the reason for the fight isn't clear from dialogue - not all fight scenes have much dialogue - then I think that is also important information. It helps me to understand the behaviors of the characters.

c.e.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
Scene challenge: Fight

Okay, I'll start this with a 500 wc scene in SYW.

Head your entry Scene Challenge: Fight with date and place. Challenge open until Aug. 31. If you enter, critique others. If you wish, you may name and briefly describe the antagonists, including only what is necessary to understand any peculiarities.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Scenes...

are just that. A fight scene needs critting on the fight. Is it possible, realistic and believable for the reader or is it hopelessly Hollywood?

I think that character motive is only gaged when reading the whole novel. The idea of the scenes was for we writers to present short pieces which we wondered about in our novels. The most common problems for writers in historical novels are things like fight scenes, or deaths, or relationships. Do they work or do they read too 21stC?

Last edited:

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Well, then perhaps we can leave that up to the critiquer. We can still just post time and place, but if a critiquer feels like they need more information about a character, they can ask. I can see what c.e. lawson is saying, but I suspect that a lot of that information would (or should) come out in the scene anyhow. A young knight who is going into his first battle and a grizzled veteran who is fighting his last are going to come across differently in the text. Of course, based on the way that you cut your snippet to post, some of that may be lost. Should we leave it up to the critiquers to ask for more information?