TackY? Unheard of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Dear fellow scribes,

As some of you may know, my novel will finally be published by a major house. Furthermore, you may remember that my novel was rescued from the trash by a junior editor. When we spoke over the phone, I half-jokingly said to her, "I HAVE to take you to dinner." And she replied, "No, no..." and laughed.

Okay, I accept that. But I really want to do something nice for her. Would it be tacky to send flowers? Or should I just send a card? I want to show my appreciation somehow; but I don't want to turn her off, or make her think I'm a kooky stalker author.

(I also offered my agent dinner/chocolate and he laughingly declined. This is kinda' frustrating since he also saved me from self-publishing my novel.

Sigh.

Advice, anyone?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Many agents and publishers say that they appreciate it when their clients say thank you, but that it isn't necessary to give them gifts as a thank you since technically they are doing their job.

I never gave a gift to either of mine, though I did thank them profusely and sent an ecard to my agent! No flowers or anything and in fact they both took ME to lunch. I think so long as you keep your enthusiasm that's all you need.

Then again, I did send my agent a small gift basket of champagne and chocolates on our anniversary. But by then I had known her a year, and I am very comfortable with her, quite friendly. It's all about your instincts, not much of an answer, but the good news is, if you wind up doing nothing, that's okay too!

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you're a kind one toothpaste! :)

I totally hear you. It's just that my circumstances in both cases were so rare. My agent gave me a second chance - out of nowhere! And this junior editor risked debating with her boss over my work.

hmmmm...

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm...well...but what she did, well...that was a little different than just doing her job perhaps. And the jr editor, I'm guessing, just gets a salary, not a cut of the book? but even then...hmmm This situation is a little different than sending a holiday gift or something.

me? I guess it wouldn't be about the protocol. If my book hinged on that one person, than yeah. I'd be so grateful and I'd thank them. A card/note and small gift--such as flowers, gift cert, something. Because without that one person doing what they did...oh yeah. I'd do something for them.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly Twizzle! She fought for my book.
AT least my agent will get his 15%, but I know for a FACT I was about to be rejected until my angelic editor stepped in.

So it is written. I will send something. Maybe not flowers or fruit after reading the rejection blog (thanks for that), but probably some cookies or sumthin up that sweet alley.

Thanks guys! :)

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Star,

Another idea is a gift card for something that you know the editor probably uses regularly (say, Starbucks?). Assistant editors don't make much and I would imagine free, over-priced caffeine and muffins would be appreciated;)

I also didn't send my agent anything other than a very nice card, but I think your instincts are right here.

grommet

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would stick to a simple phone call saying, "Thanks, and if I'm ever in the city of Townsville, I'd like to buy you a drink or 10."

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
And Janet, don't give up and you may be in my position one day.
I've been rejected many, many, many times. But I believed in myself. You can too! (((Hugs)))

Status
Not open for further replies.