PDA

View Full Version : Want to talk about your WIP?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

seun
07-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Not neccessarily your plot or characters (although feel free). More if it's going well, are you happy with it, your plans for it when it's done - anything along those lines.

I've just finished two short stories which I'm happy with. I'll start rewriting them this weekend and after that, I'm going to start editing a novella I recently finished.

How about you?

ccarver30
07-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I finished my novel, started to query and realized that it sucked. I was forcing it instead of letting it happen. SO, I am in the process of rewriting the entire thing with a different plot. I am hoping this helps make it longer (it was only 60k [about 20-40k too short for the genre]). I have to say that I am much happier with the way the story is going now. The only crappy thing is that it took me a decade to get off my duff and finish the story... I need to get the rewrite done by the end of the summer, I think (I have only been rewriting for about 6 weeks)!

I love my characters so much though that I don't want to let them down!!

Sohia Rose
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I've been working on my memoir, part-time, for about a-year-and-a-half. It's interesting how my writing style has evolved in that much time, yet my voice has remained consistent.

In the midst of that hoopla, I started a how-to book, in which I completed a first draft in about two weeks; I was on vacation and worked on it full-time. Plus, I had an outline. I'm still adding to it. At first though, I didn't think I'd make a decent word-count. But my bullheadedness won't let me succumb to failure. I'm determined to write this book, so I started more research, added more content, and it's looking pretty good.

In all, being a writer isn't good enough for me. I want to be an author. :)

ccarver30
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
In all, being a writer isn't good enough for me. I want to be an author.

Sounds like you are well on your way, darling! :)

seun
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm very happy with the first of my two stories. I wanted to write a Twilight Zone type story and leave the MC in big trouble without a way out. While writing it, I started to really like the guy and his attempts to get out of it so I gave him a slightly more hopeful ending than I planned on.

The other story needs quite a bit of work and is pretty depressing but hey-ho. I can live with that.

JJ Cooper
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Good thread sean.

I am so happy with my WIP at the moment. A couple of years to get around 12 000 words on paper. Arrived here at AW. Realised that I needed to learn to write and have spent the last few months re-writing it. Good news is that I am now flying along with the rest of it (although I do have a habit of constantly going back over what I have written) and am about 1/5 of the way through. I have also spent a considerable amount of time on plots and sub-plots and am surprising myself at what I'm coming up with.

I do need to add that I get some great inspiration here that keeps me ticking over.

My wife can even see how excited I'm getting with it and has even offered that I go away for a weekend by myself somewhere quiet to get some writing done. What a gem. She knows that I only get a couple of hours max (if I stay up late) to write.

Anyway I'm in the middle of an interrogation scene, so back to it.

JJ

Jack Nog
07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Finished my first draft of my first novel. Took about three months and I'm at 86k. I think it might be too short, and I haven't cut anything yet...

I was going to go and write a short story for a breather before I revised, but I always, always, always have trouble with the "short" part. That and I can never seem to get across what I want in a short. Nobody buys those from me anyhow.

So I looked at some old research notes on a ghost town near me, and then set a scene for fun. I'm now 10k in and only introduced the characters. I'm on my way to WIP number 2 and this one is going to be long.

I'm not revising my first WIP until August 24th. Exactly Six weeks from when I finished. I was beginning to hate that novel even though I was saying goodbye to some of the characters.

sunna
07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I am currently editing my first novel. Most of that is going well, but I decided to take out the prologue, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get the information that was in that into the first few chapters without putting people to sleep. So that's a bit frustrating; but other than that I'm pretty happy with the progress I'm making.

I am also writing my second WIP, which is a sequel. (I know, bit no-no....but I'm having fun and learning a lot, so even if this goes nowhere I think I'll be ok with it!) That one is a blast; I'm still in the 'honeymoon' stage, where I have as much fun reading what I wrote as I do writing more. I love this part...even if the return to reality is a bit painful. :)

I just wish I had more time to do this!

Sohia Rose
07-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Sounds like you are well on your way, darling! :)

Yeh. Sometimes I get distracted. Last week I had an idea for another how-to book, but I need to finish these two first. :)

scarletpeaches
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I've given myself a two-month time limit to finish my WIP.

It feels good. I believe it's good. But...(there's always a 'but')...

I felt good about my previous works which I now see as less-than-perfect. So how does one know whether you're looking at a book through rose-coloured spectacles or with more realistic vision?

Or perhaps one improves with each novel? I just wish I knew which level on the 'goodness' scale is good enough to be published! 10? I thought I was there already but obviously not.

Yet.

swvaughn
07-26-2007, 05:52 PM
The writing is going fairly well, coming pretty fast. I've not a lot of time as the day job takes up much of it, but I'm determined to get this draft finished in a few weeks (yes. Really. See my sig -- almost 30K out of 75K, arbitrary goal that may or may not end up being the final count...)

I need this book finished. I need something for my agent to sell because editors are dicking around with the manuscript she's currently sending because they "don't know where to put it on a shelf." Argh. I have to get something sold -- I have things to do and they require money. Like, paying property taxes and stuff.

Probably too much of a rant there but yeah. Finishing this in a few weeks. Seriously. Who needs sleep anyway...

(and yes I know I shouldn't expect this new MS to sell instantly or net me a lot of money fast, but I've got to believe it won't take two or three or ten freaking YEARS like some of the success stories I've read. Other people sell their books in a few weeks. Why can't I? I'm ranting again...)

Harper K
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
My WIP is making me kind of crazy right now. Kind of really crazy, I should say. I had planned on finishing the second draft in late June, then shifted my deadline to the first week of July. Now it's the LAST week of July and I still have several more chapters to write. And endings aren't exactly my strong point. This thing just drags on and on. I feel trapped by it, because every night I come home from work and the goal's always the same: BIC, writing as much as I can. Anything else I do feels irresponsible.

There's so much stuff I've put off doing until that glorious first day after I finish this draft. But I didn't think I'd have to delay all that stuff so long. Some of it's small, like buying a DVD I've been wanting, watching my Netflix movies, and getting a new stack of books from the library. But some of it's pretty major, like unpacking the boxes in our new office (my husband and I moved earlier this month). I'm getting tired of scraping my legs on the edges of cardboard boxes every time I need to cross the room.

I like my WIP, and I feel like I'm writing the type of book I'd want to read, but sometimes I worry that it's too quiet for today's market, that the stakes aren't high enough, that I'm not enough of a "typical" reader to write a mass-market book.

In conclusion: sigh!

Azraelsbane
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
At the moment, I'm thrilled with my main WIP. Only a few chapters left, and it's been a monster hanging over my head for a LONG time. I'm on track to finish sometime in August. Here's hopin'!

Stew21
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I have to finish the first draft of novel #2 and then spend my time doing re-writes of novel #2 and a third draft of novel #1.
In the meantime, I feel like actually accomplish something by writing poetry.

Summerwriter
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Not neccessarily your plot or characters (although feel free). More if it's going well, are you happy with it, your plans for it when it's done - anything along those lines.

Well, the BdH does not make any progress, because my IW (Inner Writer) is on vacation. Some time ago she made quite a discovery...and after that she has been silent. I have no idea what she is up to, but I know I must keep that "copy the book or any text you choose word for word" -thing. Maybe Gisela will let me know about her plans in the future. I don't know yet. She showed me some...short scenes...but I have not written them down. I do not know if they are anything valuable.

I've just finished two short stories which I'm happy with. I'll start rewriting them this weekend and after that, I'm going to start editing a novella I recently finished.

How about you?

Well, I edited some writing of mine. But that was a long time ago. I just hope I will be able to return to my writing soon.

WordGypsy
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
My WIP was finished as of the 19th. That's the first draft. It's the first novel I've ever finished despite starting about 5 or 6 so I'm pretty proud! It's sitting for two weeks (Aug 2nd) so I have 7 days to go...yea, I'm counting lol! I can't wait to get started with the rewrites and when draft two is finished can send it out to beta readers. When they get back to me and I make my changes I can count it as done...In the meantime I pulled up a novel I started a while ago, thinking it was a sequel. It's not. So I have a lot of work to do :D Best get back to it!!

MelodyO
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I finally got over the morale-crushing rejections of novel #1, and am happily pushing ahead on my WIP. I'm writing 400 - 500 words a day, and I'm beyond satisfied with that. Just like the last time, I'm falling in love with my characters and want to keep them safe and warm. Unfortunately, they're going to have to get shot, beat up, kidnapped, and attacked by zombies before they can live happily ever after. Braaaains!

Sassee
07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
swvaughn, is that the same WIP you posted in the SYW forum? If so, good luck to you! I loved that one and can't wait to read the finished, PUBLISHED, version :)

Mine?

Oh, I got stuck for about two months. There was an important scene about to happen and I couldn't figure out how I wanted it to go. My characters were shrugging their shoulders. I was pulling out my hair. Then, very suddenly... whoosh! It all spilled out of me. Writer's constipation, thou hast been defeated by creativity's laxative! I've written over 7k words since last weekend and I'm very pleased with the result. Both me and my characters can get on with our lives! (And I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal! YAY!)

MelodyO
07-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Writer's constipation, thou hast been defeated by creativity's laxative!

LOL! It's terrific that you broke through your writer's block. You're well on your way to the end now!

BenPanced
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Monster edit of novel #1 was completed last month, but now I have to get off my kiester and crank out a query to get it shopped around.

Serious overhaul of novel #2 is under way. The melodrama sucks so much bilge, it would embarrass even Jackie Collins. It needs to go back to the funny I used in #1.

Big time rewrite of novel #3 is currently fallow to work on #2. I've finally found a source of conflict for #3 to make it flow more naturally.

#4...#4?...is there a #4?...

Legionsynch
07-26-2007, 10:11 PM
My new WIP is going...maybe not as well as I'd like, but it's progressing, which is excellent. I know where the story is going, and I know how all the different threads intersect, I'm just trying to figure out one crucial element. Until I figure that out, I'm just spinning my wheels.

Storm Surge
07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm in a slump right now. One paragraph per day seems too much.
WIP 1: being beta read
WIP 2: ought to be rewritten, but I'm getting the feeling that it's not going to amount to anything
WIP 3: working on second draft, not getting anywhere quickly
WIP 4: first draft, just started on the climax!
WIP 5: first draft, just plodding
Once the first drafts get done, I'm giving myself a vacation.

julief
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
just about got WIP 1 polished off. I'm so glad to finish it! I'm just about sick of it now.

WIP 2 is started but still getting planned out. For example, I know she will kill this other character but I can't figure out why or how yet (got the where and when and what happens next, though).

I'm chugging along and somewhere between obsessed, aggravated, and thrilled.

Oh, yeah, and the idea for WIP 3 hit me during a pleasure drive through the country.

I'll be busy for years.

reenkam
07-26-2007, 10:54 PM
WIP 1: There was a random plot twist last night, so I'm re-excited about writing it.
WIP 2: It's taking forever to come up with the different characters...
past WIP 1: Got to chapter 16 in edits and got bored...I'll get back to it sometime
past WIP 2: Rewriting...slowly
past WIP 3: Rewriting (wow, it's a theme!) and writing poems for it. 5/22 done

Kalthandrix
07-27-2007, 12:28 AM
I was trucking along pretty well, and than I too was struck by a chapter that had me stumped. I knew "what" I wanted in it, but was not happy with the "how" I was getting it in there. On top of that, I ended up shaving off about 2k worth of material because I decided to go another direction in a chapter.

“How to get over this?” you might be wondering - I have turned to reading other peoples books :D - well and also creating a formal chapter by chapter outline that has allowed me to map out every chapter with the who, what, when, where, and lodes of internal and external conflict (were you expecting s how in there?). Some chapters as of yet are still just bare-bones, but I would say that 80% of the chapters I have planned (roughly 38-ish) have some content in it.

On top of that, I have been making some notes for another book that I dreamt up – as well as a scene here and there that I thought would be cool but are as of yet unassigned to any particular project.

The beginning of August will see me picking up my writing cap once again and chasing the dragon once more - even though I will have at least three more books of James Clemens' The Banned and the Banished series to get through :( .

Novelhistorian
07-27-2007, 01:03 AM
So glad you asked. I was feeling discouraged last week but better now. I'm on the second chapter, and fighting through what seems to be a repetitive strain injury that's hurting my right wrist. I was feeling down about the pain, worrying that changing my writing routine to accommodate the injury wouldn't be enough, and on top of that, chapter two seemed awful. But I let the chapter sit, went back to chapter 1 to reshape the MC and alter the situation a bit, and meanwhile, the change in routine appears to be helping my wrist. All of a sudden, chapter two didn't look so bad. Still a couple trouble spots, but I know I can fix them and have decided to press on, writing about a thousand words a day.

ottorino
07-27-2007, 01:05 AM
I've just come to an exciting climax in my wip, around 30,000 word in, and I don't know where to go. Damnation!

aadams73
07-27-2007, 01:13 AM
I just finished a short story that I'm having a tricky time classifying. I think it might fit into fantasy. Right now I'm giving it the "in the drawer" treatment for a few days before I pull it out, pick it to pieces, and submit it.

My main WIP is coming along swimmingly.

pconsidine
07-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Currently, I am getting my ass kicked by a screenplay I'm trying to develop. In the quintessential development scenario, I have two characters, their relationship to each other, and the event that sets things in motion, but no idea for the rest of the story. One would think it would simply follow naturally, wouldn't one?

But I'm allowing it to ferment for now. I have a monstrous notebook that I keep with me at all times and I occasionally make notes throughout the day. I guess I'm still working on it, even though it feels like not much is getting done.

ccarver30
07-27-2007, 01:40 AM
I've just come to an exciting climax in my wip, around 30,000 word in, and I don't know where to go. Damnation!

Mayhap you are a Historical Romance writer?:tongue
I say damnation all the time... :D

Shady Lane
07-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Almost 9,000 words in. I have a feeling things are moving too slowly. This has never been a problem for me before, so I'm trying to ignore it.

seun
07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Then, very suddenly... whoosh! It all spilled out of me. Writer's constipation, thou hast been defeated by creativity's laxative!

What a lovely mental picture that is :D

Sassee
07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
What a lovely mental picture that is :D

I know, isn't it? <evil grin>

RRK
07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm hoping to finish my longer WIP (60K/90K) by the end of September, put it aside during November while I start something new for NaNoWriMo, and then do a massive overhaul so that I can try to query it out before the summer rush next year. Of course, this carefully-laid-out plan might be completely undone if my other WIP (26K/55-or-so K) takes over my life as I'm afraid it will. The second WIP is much better--it flows unforced and is probably more interesting, I think because I originally did it as a short story and have been expanding it. The other WIP is my baby, though...and like all babies, has been forcing me through a very painful labor for the past year.

Really, the important thing is just for me to finish something. I've lost track of how many novels I've started over the years and then abandoned; I got into writing short stories last year as a way to train myself to finish things, and I think at long last I'm ready to actually see a few novels through to the end. Here's hoping!

reigningcatsndogs
07-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Just finished first draft of current WIP (novel #17):D

I still have to go back to do more revisions on #1-16 -- write and rewrite, and rewrite ad nauseum!!! :Shrug: The writing is a blast, the revision, hmmmm, not so much, other than each revision gives you that added sense of satisfaction. I now have the first two chapters done on next one WIP (Meadowlarks and Mourning Doves -- working title), a stand-alone, set in the prairies during the depression, and have three outlines going, one for each of my series.

I also have to touch up a query letter and synopsis (again) and have two out on submission, and have two partials and a full out there somewhere in publisher land. Damn, this is beginning to sound like a job!!! I need a raise and better benefits.!!!!

Ageless Stranger
07-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Well unlike the first of the stories I wrote, the second flowed instantly and it's in a great shape so far. I found writing the first one really taught me how to jump between the varying settings and ideas that come together in stories. I've been writing mainly what I'd love to read and my fiancee read it, immediately fell in love with the story. Tried to read the whole damn thing in one night the poor thing. I suppose that really gave me the drive to try to become an author.

jennifer75
07-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I think I have writers block. I'm not sure though. I just don't have the drive to pick it up and continue. I want to, someday. But I don't feel like that "room" in my head is open to me right now. I have a lot of decisions to make regarding it and I'm not ready to face them.

Oberon
07-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Second novel out there being rejected, returned to first novel, trying to get a catchy query (My wife hates the first one I tried), but I gotta write, so I started #3, gave myself a challenge, do this in first person. Didn't realize how tricky that would be, but I'm well on the way. I am aiming for the climax I have imagined, trying to make things progress logically to that end, and realize I may be not paying enough attention to characterization. When the draft is done I will put it out to pasture for a while and come back to it with a hopefully fresh view. Children's book sort of languishing, having trouble with animals that talk, being the son of a naturalist (can an octopus speak?). Memoir of childhood in WWII waiting for September. New Yorker didn't want it. Fancy that! Paris Review didn't want my poem, either. Maybe I'll check the free verse scanning problem and try somewhere else. Yes, I will. And I decided I'd better stop writing a sequel to number one until it shows some promise. Thanks to all you folks who have so much good advice.

Chasing the Horizon
07-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, you asked . . .

I'm 4,000 words from finishing the third rewrite of the novel I finished the first draft of back in June. It's been difficult at times, but since it's my first novel it really hasn't been too bad. Hopefully future books won't need as much rewriting. Betas keep bugging me to read it (in fact, I should be working on this right now instead of posting on AW). At least the length has ended up almost perfect for the genre.

I've got three more WIPs all of which continue the series and are in the first draft stage. (This series is my baby and I'm writing the entire thing whether the first book gets published or not. So there.) The second book in the series is nearly 50k long (almost half done), and really going great. Once I can concentrate more on it I don't think it'll take more than a month or so to finish. I have a bit of a problem with a scene in the fourth book: it's running a little long (OK, 35,000 words and only half done. Yes, that's one single scene). I'll figure it out eventually.

The 5th-9th books in the series are in the concept stage and I've got about 10,000 words worth of notes so far. They should be ready to be written by the time I finish the third book.

I've got another novel length WIP that isn't part of my series, which I've been doing without an outline (not usual for me). It went great at first and I'm not stuck, but it's just not as much fun as my series. I'll get back to it eventually.

I have two ideas for novellas (one of which is already started). I'm hesitating to write them right now because I want to know there will be a market for them when I finish. The fantasy romance novella would probably be able to find a home with an e-pub, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not quite sure where I'm going plot-wise with that one either. I'm holding off on the contemporary novella until I figure out whether or not I can write true erotica. If I can't then it won't have a market because the ending isn't HEA.

I have a pair of first person novels which prequel my series that are currently in the development stage. I've got the voice down good and know the beginning and end, but I need a plot that connects the two. MC is also in my series, so characters are a non-issue.

Then there's the stand-alone series tie-in book with the wonderful, tight, highly-marketable plot, which I just can't bring myself to write. It has different main characters than my series and . . . what can I say, I just like spending time with my series characters better. I pretty much have to write this book at some point because of how it ties in with my series (well, and the fact that it has the best plot I've ever thought of). This, rather than the series sequels, should technically be my next main WIP. Yeah, not gonna happen. *sigh* How long would it take to finish a 110k book writing a paragraph a day, anyway?

Of course, once my completed novel is finished being beta read and edited, I'm going to have to write an actual query and synopsis. If my attempts to date are any indication of my skill at query and synopsis writing, it will take approximately fifty years to complete them in a satisfactory manner. No, I'm not looking forward to this.

Did I mention that I'm ADD? :D

Esopha
07-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Little Cities is driving me crazy. My MC is getting on my nerves. The supporting cast is getting on my nerves. Everything is getting on my nerves. I think it's the pacing. The walking around aimlessly towards their destination is not helping anyone, and I've already exhausted everything I can think of to insert more words. I think I'm going to have to overhaul the end of the book as well.

And then I have to go through and fix gaping plot holes and story elements that just don't fit anymore. And then characterization, polishing, polishing, polishing, add some more political satire, make sure all the jokes and witticisms are funny, and then maybe, MAYBE I'll get a beta reader.

I like my second WIP way more than LC at this point. Possibly because it's giving me less trouble. *delicately begins tearing hair out*

MMcC
07-28-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm working furiously on a trilogy that will (if I live long enough) be a long term series. Not so much interconnected plots beyond the trilogy, but the universe/setting I've created is going to be my novel writing "home" for the forseeable future.

Finished book 1 KNOWING it would need lots of revising, and that was cool. It may be the second book in the end. Book 2 is about 1/3 done, and book 3 is almost completely outlined.

Romantic paranormal with very dark tones, and very strong comedy elements.

underthecity
07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Since you asked,

Draft #2 of Ghost Machine is coming along very slowly. I started revising before Christmas, I believe, and I'm on page 179 of 400. Between working my full time job and other obligations, I'm managing to revise about a chapter a week.

The revising itself is coming along fine, but it's so cumbersome. When I wrote the first draft I tried not to bog myself down in all the details and fleshing out. Well, now I have to work out the details, flesh out the scenes, add beats, improve the dialog, and everything else. It's so time consuming.

And I'm so looking forward to revising the exciting scenes that happen later on, but I know I have to work on all the earlier stuff first. Sigh! I just want it to be done.

But I am enjoying the story and what happens in it. And every time I make a change and feel really good about it, I have to wonder if an author like JK Rowling felt the same way when she was revising her first HP novel.

allen

seun
07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I edited my two stories over the weekend. (Behind Me and A Man's Home Is His Castle). One is only three pages but I'm quite happy with it. I'll have a tinker with both and may even post them in SYW if you ask nicely.

Ageless Stranger
07-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Little Cities is driving me crazy. My MC is getting on my nerves. The supporting cast is getting on my nerves. Everything is getting on my nerves. I think it's the pacing. The walking around aimlessly towards their destination is not helping anyone.

Be happy, my MC is practically trying to power walk upto my antagonist and beat the hell out of him. He doesn't seem to realize there are hoops to jump first. He's a practical fellow.

JJ Cooper
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Got some good conflict between my two leading characters. And there's this lovable old sod who keeps poking his head in. Thing is I forgot to get him changed out of his bathrobe so he is now guarding someone in this attire. I've decided to keep it this way.

JJ

ccarver30
07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I had no idea where I was going to go last night when I sat down to write. All of a sudden, another man is interested in my MFC. Wonder what my MMC will have to say about that!! :)

JJ Cooper
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I had no idea where I was going to go last night when I sat down to write. All of a sudden, another man is interested in my MFC. Wonder what my MMC will have to say about that!! :)

Puts hand up. Yeah sorry about that, but you know what us Aussies are like. By the way, your MMC isn't some kickboxing champ is he?

JJ

triceretops
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I've got to get this thriller out of my way and off to the agent, per his editing requests. It's driving me nuts--I've made no less than nine passes on this beotch, and I know it's good. It's just that I'm SO tired of reading it slowly over and over again. I left a really neat werewolf story (a strange twister), and can't wait to get back to it. Meanwhile, the SF book my agent has been passing around for the past year is dying a slow death. I've already rewritten that one and got an offer from a publisher that I refused. Don't know the fate of the first agented book.

So, I stand right now in the editing dolrums (sp?), and that will be for another week or so.

Tri (very agitated and fedup with editing)

JJ Cooper
07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Great stuff Tri. You're a writing machine.

JJ

seun
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
In other news, I'm thinking about submitting one or two short stories to...somewhere. I've never submitted any SS before and have sod all idea where to start.

Methinks some research is required.

ccarver30
07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Puts hand up. Yeah sorry about that, but you know what us Aussies are like. By the way, your MMC isn't some kickboxing champ is he?

JJ

He's not, but he is an earl... he may have some shady connections... ;)

Bubastes
I'm trying not to freak out as I write the first draft of Novel #1 (third attempt). I normally write articles and "long shorts" (8-10K stories), so writing something this long is brand new to me. I'm now at the word count where I usually scrap my WIP, so lately every sentence feels like I'm moving into uncharted territory.

ccarver30
P.S. Did you say Australian? > : -)

swvaughn
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
swvaughn, is that the same WIP you posted in the SYW forum? If so, good luck to you! I loved that one and can't wait to read the finished, PUBLISHED, version :)

Mine?

Oh, I got stuck for about two months. There was an important scene about to happen and I couldn't figure out how I wanted it to go. My characters were shrugging their shoulders. I was pulling out my hair. Then, very suddenly... whoosh! It all spilled out of me. Writer's constipation, thou hast been defeated by creativity's laxative! I've written over 7k words since last weekend and I'm very pleased with the result. Both me and my characters can get on with our lives! (And I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal! YAY!)

Aye, that's the one. :D Thank you, Sassee! I'm a third there...

What you've done with your WIP has happened to me many a time. Hope it all comes out faster now! :)

ccarver30
07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Writer's constipation, thou hast been defeated by creativity's laxative!

LOL Nice! (and YAY! for you)

Dave.C.Robinson
07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Lessee:

Novel #1: Heroic Fantasy - Complete - Currently doing a polish draft and working up a synopsis to start querying agents. Going slowly, but getting there. The story is coming up solid, just needed to do a fair bit of fixing for smoothing the prose.
--about 8-10K plus notes done on possible sequel. Just enough to separated the characters from the first novel. Will not be written unless first novel sells.

Novel #2: Space Opera - Draft complete - Sitting there until I can get a proper rewrite. Needs some minor plot holes fixed and also a couple of complete polishing passes. Somewhere between on hiatus and trunked.

Novel #3: Urban Fantasy - Just started. Currently on hold on second chapter of first draft while I prepare Novel #1.

Novel #4: Light Fantasy - Rough notes, one longish short written with same MC, lost the toss to become novel #3. Very much on the back burner.

Novels #3 and #4 could shift positions until I get decently into one then the other will fall away until one's at least draft complete.

Sassee
07-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Too many of my characters are coming out to play now... I may need to chase them off temporarily, but it's sort of hard to do when I've set them all up to be in the same place at the same time. Urgh. I think the afore mentioned laxative was a little too strong. Now I've got too much coming out, and not all of it is going where it needs to. (How's THAT for imagery? :))

I've also started worrying about my ending. I have all this action building up to a highly exciting climax and I'm hella worried about having a so-so ending. Does anyone else worry about that? This is the first time I've ever had the finish line in sight for a WIP so I'm kinda panicky. If I stick with my current pattern of 4-6k word chapters and keep my goal of 90k words, I've only got about 4-6 more chapters to go before the end, and to me that seems really short. I'll be writing a sequel (mostly for my own enjoyment), but still. I'm deathly afraid of disappointing myself and my beta readers... maybe that's why I've never finished one of these things... bah!

Mondays suck. Where's Friday?

swvaughn
07-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Too many of my characters are coming out to play now... I may need to chase them off temporarily, but it's sort of hard to do when I've set them all up to be in the same place at the same time. Urgh. I think the afore mentioned laxative was a little too strong. Now I've got too much coming out, and not all of it is going where it needs to. (How's THAT for imagery? :))

I've also started worrying about my ending. I have all this action building up to a highly exciting climax and I'm hella worried about having a so-so ending. Does anyone else worry about that? This is the first time I've ever had the finish line in sight for a WIP so I'm kinda panicky. If I stick with my current pattern of 4-6k word chapters and keep my goal of 90k words, I've only got about 4-6 more chapters to go before the end, and to me that seems really short. I'll be writing a sequel (mostly for my own enjoyment), but still. I'm deathly afraid of disappointing myself and my beta readers... maybe that's why I've never finished one of these things... bah!

Mondays suck. Where's Friday?

Keep going! You'll be sooo happy when you type The End. :D

It always seems like the ending is going to suck when you get close to it. Don't let your nerves get the best of you -- just write it, and you might be surprised to find that you're pleased with it. It's important to finish first, and then you're allowed to obsess over the end (and the beginning, and the middle, and every single one of your XX-thousands words... :D).

Writing is a beautiful thing because you can always go back and fix it. You can get to The End! Go, Ninja Bunny!!

Kalthandrix
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
In other news, I'm thinking about submitting one or two short stories to...somewhere. I've never submitted any SS before and have sod all idea where to start.

Methinks some research is required.
If they are under 17k and you qualify - I would suggest trying to get one into the Writers of the Future (http://www.writersofthefuture.com/)contest. It is a long shot to win, but if you do than you have some street cred.

Southern_girl29
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
My first WIP isn't really a WIP in progress anymore, because I finished editing and revising it last month, and it's now out to agents.

My current WIP is going really good. I'm just in the beginning stages. It's actually the second in a series, which I know is a big no-no, but I'm enjoying it. I loved these characters so much that I had to keep writing about them. It's really in its beginning stages, but I've written eight or nine pages of notes. I'll probably finish up the note taking sometime this week and begin writing in earnest next week.

seun
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
If they are under 17k and you qualify - I would suggest trying to get one into the Writers of the Future (http://www.writersofthefuture.com/)contest. It is a long shot to win, but if you do than you have some street cred.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out today :)

Danger Jane
07-31-2007, 09:21 PM
WIP 1: editing as much as I can without needing to print it. Making the settings be not vague. But dammit it's only 25K still.

WIP 2: Sitting on it for a little while. Might need to rewrite. I'm getting confused.

WIP3: Juuust starting off. I still need to give myself a direction or it'll never go anywhere.

Azraelsbane
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Main WIP: Banging my head against the keyboard. Only about 15k more to go. By now, it's practically a lullaby.

SpookyRabbit
08-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Finally, finally I have overcome the writer's block that has hung over me all summer long. Summer, when I like to get a lot of writing done...summer, that is about to come to a close as I head back to the classroom. Argh! :e2thud:

Instead of jumping right into the story, I worked out my outdoodles (some people outline, I outdoodle), and now I am forcing myself to sit down and research the life and times that are expected of those characters in my book. Usually, I just research as I go...stop in the middle of a sentence to do a quick google search of what folks used for toilet paper circa 1067 AD (you don't want to know, by the way), and then continue on. I'm hoping this new, less haphazard approach to my latest manuscript will help things run more smoothly and my story be a better one in the long run.

Best of luck to everyone in all their work.

tjwriter
08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I've been writing again. Woohoo!

Queen of Legends is making slow progress, but it's getting there. I've been doing long hand in a notebook I carry in my purse. It feels so nice to be finally writing this again.

JJ Cooper
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Well done Spookyrabbit and tjwriter for getting back to it. Keep at it.

Almost there Azraelsbane. Keep at it.

Danger Jane - far too much procastinating. LOL.

Southern Girl. Well done.

Sorry didn't go any further up the board. I'm travelling nicely thanks. My MMC and MFC are a little upset at me because I built them up for a big confronation with a nasty little girl and, after detailed planning and preparation - she didn't show up. I'm so mean sometimes. But wait she's planned a trap for them. Will they fall for it or will they get out of it. Only one person knows for now (any suggestions).

JJ

Klazart
08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm doing okay on my WIP, about a fourth to a third of the way through. Sometimes it's tough and I feel like I'm writing crap, other times it feels great, like it's gonna be the next great literary novel. But getting started every day, that's the hardest part.

Sohia Rose
08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm doing okay on my WIP, about a fourth to a third of the way through. Sometimes it's tough and I feel like I'm writing crap, other times it feels great, like it's gonna be the next great literary novel. But getting started every day, that's the hardest part.

I hear ya. I've been avoiding my manuscript for about two days, even though yesterday I forced myself to do some editing. To shake my anguish, I wrote in my writing journal, musing, a journal towards my feelings about writing. Anybody else keep a writing journal about the writing process?

ccarver30
08-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I feel like my WIP is lacking depth... hmm, what to do...

JJ Cooper
08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I feel like my WIP is lacking depth... hmm, what to do...

Think of us Aussie boys. That should be enough inspiration. Wait...that may distract you.

JJ

ccarver30
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
^^ It very much does (distract me). ;)

SpookyRabbit
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
JJ thanks for the slap on the back and tj way to go. Writing is writing whether in your notebook, the back of grocery lists, or on the inside of your palm (my often-used tablet). The research and development labs continue for the new manuscript and I still find myself popping onto the computer to look up the meanings of some of these words in this medieval history book (motte-a raised earth mound like a hill, usually artificial and topped with a keep). Why doust everything have to be so hard-eth?

DragonHeart
08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now and hesitating because I'm not sure what to do.

Red Phalanx is on hold at the moment with an incomplete 1400 word outline. I haven't lost interest in it but I feel that I don't have a clearly defined world and that's making it difficult to lay the plot out. It may be easier to stop the outline where it is and just start the rough draft in the hopes that the world will build itself and solve this particular problem.

The Dragon Stone is stalled at 3000 words because the plot did something I wasn't expecting and now I'm not sure how to continue without venturing into the land of cliche, though at the same time I should have seen that particular event coming. The one I had in mind was too neat, too linear for the situation. Now I fear that I may be convoluting the plot and weakening it by trying to explain how this new twist happened. I really shouldn't worry about it and just forge ahead.

As for my newest WIP, In the Shadow of Her Wings, I'm wondering if maybe I'm building too much of the world, that it may end up sounding constructed and not organic. I only have a vague idea of the plot, but a very clearly defined setting. I worry that I'm getting too hung up on building a big, beautiful, wonderful world and not spending enough time getting to know the characters.

~DragonHeart~

Sassee
08-02-2007, 07:26 PM
You know, I'm not sure my MC is getting enough action (of the bedroom type). Poor thing has been on edge for an entire week. She's been used as bait and nearly been killed 3 times, been lied to and manipulated about that many times, her hormones are raging, and on top of it all she's missing a lot of her classes right before midterms. And... she broke up with her boyfriend before all of this happened, so she doesn't have an outlet for relieving stress. Or, at least, not an outlet that won't get her into more trouble.

I'm starting to feel her pain. LOL!

The worst part? I'm pretty sure she's not "getting any" the rest of this WIP. Poor, poor Kate.

The good news is that the story is still flying from my fingertips. It's all downhill from here :)

Esopha
08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Alright. I was right. The pacing was wrong, wrong, wrong. I fixed it and the story's going more smoothly now, and I like the impromptu characterization that suddenly occurred (which I will now undoubtedly have to work into the earlier parts of the book). The end is going to be rewritten. It's terrible, and doesn't fit with the rest of the story anymore. Thankfully, the story will be a lot stronger because of that, and the MC will stop being such a poop.

So there's a bunch of prose I need to add, but we're almost at the climax/denouement/ending and I'm hoping it'll be a straight shot from here. I'm also debatingn whether or not I need a more present antagonist, and wtfing over plot elements whose importance I don't know even though my characters insist that they're important and will play a large part in the end...

My mind is boggling right now. It's kind of ridiculous.

necia phoenix
08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Mind if I jump in here?

Lets see, my main WIP Masters of Purgatory, has just about hit the middle of the middle, more stuff is about to happen to get on the road to the grande finale.

My finished novel Immortality Unveiled is sitting, waiting for me to finish MOP so I can really get the edits done.

My other finished novel Redemption is waiting for me to dust it off too (not to mention my mother in law wants to read it **headdesk**)

I've got short stories out the yin-yang that I told myself I won't work on till MOP is finished. (MOP is one of those; I've been working on it for over five years and I'm going to finish it before Sept of this year, things)

so I need to stop messin around here and get to mop...

Spiny Norman
08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Of course we want to talk about out WIP's! That's practically why we're here! Haven't we seen how popular the post your best line/recent paragraph/what have you written today threads are? :)

Roustabout is finished, edited, and is currently out being hefted around by several very lazy beta readers. Then I'm going to Spain for two weeks to see my brother, then I'm going to come back, read through the whole thing again, and start putting it out there.

I'm feeling strong about the middle and ending and the very first and second chapters, but the third and fourth or so feel off to me, maybe just a little. It's basically a "crisis of identity" novel - young man with a seriously messed up life goes home for a wedding and to figure out how things went wrong. The only difference is that A. He's a burned out mathematical prodigy and B. he keeps seeing his dead father, who has a nasty tendency to pop up at inopportune times and goad him.

Getting him to his home town and introducing all of his old friends is the only weak part in the whole, I think. After that it's pretty engaging. But I can't think of a way to make those few chapters a little bit stronger, and on the whole I may be overthinking in. They can probably just ride off of the bizarreness of what the MC keeps encountering. One friend expressed it as, "Sort of like Garden State, but with a fat lip and a liver problem. And testicles."

He doesn't care for the emo-like nature of Garden State, see. This is certainly messier and less self-involved than that.

Genre is another difficulty. It's not plot based, but it's not exactly highbrow literature - at the moment I'm going with "upmarket commercial fiction," because that sounds cool. It's got basic appeal with some literary thoughtfulness.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know a place to go to for beta readers?

LilliCray
08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Lessee...

Higher Chaos, my main WIP... oh, boy, I can say a LOT about that one. It's been all over the place. First it was a futuristic scifi thing, then it went to somewhat normal for four versions, then back to some weird time-dimension-whattheheck thing for no apparent reason. (I got back to one of the normalish versions a few days ago.) But, it's not going anywhere. At. All. Sigh...

Seventh Magic, my fantasy WIP, is going pretty well. I've got some semblance of a plot for a storyline of two years, but after that it's kind of hazy. 6,200+ words, on hold until I finish thinking the plot through... or until I feel like I really want to start on it again.

Dance of the Elementalist, another fantasy WIP, is still... y'know... in the planning stage. Sigh.....

Rise of the Phoenix, urban fantasy extravaganza! Sheesh... I have no idea what to do with this one. I got the idea for it years ago, and it's got potential, but I can't really remember some of the details. Gotta either find my notes or make somethin' up...

And we mustn't forget the unidentified elf floating around in my head! Haven't discovered her story yet, but have discovered a few nice traits for her race... ;)

DragonHeart
08-03-2007, 06:24 AM
It seems that a long, boring shift at work was just what I required. I spent most of my night thinking about In the Shadow of Her Wings and I made a massive breakthrough. In fact, I'll be starting the first draft in just a few minutes. All I needed was a POV shift and the right time period. And dolphins. Dragons and dolphins and humans, that's the new story.

~DragonHeart~

rihannsu
08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm writing my first short script (15 pp or less). I've gotten to the point that I've written out the beats and have my acts together. ;)

I'm allowing myself the opportunity to suck this time. I know no matter how good or crappy (and it probably is crappy) it is, I'm going to have that negative voice telling me it sucks.

But I decided to enter this contest so I could get writing the first script out of the way. It's a local contest and there's no entry fee, so this is pretty much the perfect way to submit a first script.

emsuniverse
08-05-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm jumping in here....

I'm currently working on researching/outlining (I hate outlining, but it's necessary for this one) my "tween" novel. I'm having to do some basic medical research and it's slowing me down. I want to get the outline done by the weekend.

JoNightshade
08-05-2007, 11:38 AM
After my two-week end-of-story crisis (kinda like mid-life crisis but for my book), I have finally, FINALLY completed the first draft of my WIP!

Actually it sounds kinda weird saying "finally," given the fact this is not only the longest novel I've written, but also the quickest. I think it's been about three months.

Of course, it's not over yet! Second draft, which I am already itching to work on, will consist of filling in all of my holes... seasonal weather, for example, as well as orienting all of the rooms in the mansion where most of it takes place. I wrote the first draft saying things like "And then they went to the north wing," but when you add it all up, stuff in the north and south wings totally don't match up. :)

Third draft will likely be cutting, rewriting, and highlighting. I actually had an epiphany when I wrote the last scene and discovered the main theme of my book. Wow. :) Now I have to go back in and enhance those points.

Fourth draft, line-by-line editing.

Wow. I have a long way to go. But I'm excited! Now it's just the details.

Chasing the Horizon
08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
After my two-week end-of-story crisis (kinda like mid-life crisis but for my book), I have finally, FINALLY completed the first draft of my WIP!
Congratulations! :D

I finally finished my novel for real today. Not that it's 100% finished, but no more major rewrites and I can finally hand it out to my betas. Yay! (took freakin' long enough. I'm going to try getting it right the FIRST time with my next WIP)

blackpen
08-06-2007, 12:26 PM
actually, no, i don't want to talk about it. my eyes are so sore from sitting in front of a computer all the time for the past few days and i think i am going blind. i just want to get as much done before my muse leaves me again and if i finish this now and submit it asap then i won't be able to work on this while i need to be studying for the lsat.
congrats on everyone who has finished, i don't know how you do it.

Varthikes
08-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I recently finished the first quarter of my current novel. Now, before I continue with the second quarter, I'm going to go back and proofread the first.

I'm really looking forward to the second quarter, though. A lot happens there very quickly.

Esopha
08-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Third draft will likely be cutting, rewriting, and highlighting. I actually had an epiphany when I wrote the last scene and discovered the main theme of my book. Wow. :) Now I have to go back in and enhance those points.

Hey, that happened to me, too! I was so surprised. Of course, I'm way to lazy to go back and emphasize my theme until the third or fourth draft.

seun
08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I've hit a wall in my WIP. The MC is on the run with a load of stolen cash; he's hiding in a crappy hotel in a strange city and his face is all over the news. The owner of the hotel recognises him which obviously means the MC has to leg it.

I don't know how to handle the hotel owner. He can either report the MC to the papers and police and maybe make some money out of it, or he can let the MC go which would be the 'good' thing to do. The problem is I don't know whether he would do the good thing or try and make some money out of it.

Anyone want to vote on it?

seun
08-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Did I read that right? You wrote a novel in two days?

seun
08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Impressive.

seun
08-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Thank you. Maybe size wise...but the quality is yet to be determined. I can honestly say there was a point where I began to drift and hallucinate. It was pretty crazy. I found a couple words that had nothing to do with the manuscript pop up on the screen.

:D

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 04:51 PM
So close to the end. I'm about halfway done with the last chapter, and it looks like it'll be over 100k...again! Hopefully not by much.

Namatu
08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
There's a story that's been in my head for more than a dozen years. I've tried to write it and it's not ready. Finally, however, I wrote a few paragraphs and there, right there on the page - for the first time ever - was the tone. The right tone has revealed itself!

It's not my WIP. Not yet. I have no idea how to follow what I've written down. But it's there. Proof that the damn thing can be written because now I have the key. This is monumentally exciting for me.

My WIP, however, continues to languish in purgatory. That's okay. I'll attack is again later.

ccarver30
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I had an "Oh dayyyyummm!" moment last night. Someone showed up that wasn't supposed to... DUN DUN DUN!!!

Dave.C.Robinson
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I've hit a wall in my WIP. The MC is on the run with a load of stolen cash; he's hiding in a crappy hotel in a strange city and his face is all over the news. The owner of the hotel recognises him which obviously means the MC has to leg it.

I don't know how to handle the hotel owner. He can either report the MC to the papers and police and maybe make some money out of it, or he can let the MC go which would be the 'good' thing to do. The problem is I don't know whether he would do the good thing or try and make some money out of it.

Anyone want to vote on it?

Maybe he tries to blackmail the MC? Just a thought :)

seun
08-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Maybe he tries to blackmail the MC? Just a thought :)

Very possibly. I have to decide what sort of man the hotel owner is. And more than that, what would he realisticly do?

Legionsynch
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I switched gears a couple weeks ago, when a new set of characters poked their heads out, and demanded attention. Since then, I've spent more time fleshing out their personalities, understanding who they are and where they come from.

I'm glad I wrote the first novel and all, but I've barely written anything for this new novel, and I can already feel that it's going to be a bigger, stronger novel than my first. It's exciting, but I feel kindof bad for the characters of my other book, who are now standing around scratching their heads in limbo. Poor Jordan will never find out what happened with his ultimate school prank.

A. Hamilton
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
There's a story that's been in my head for more than a dozen years. I've tried to write it and it's not ready. Finally, however, I wrote a few paragraphs and there, right there on the page - for the first time ever - was the tone. The right tone has revealed itself!

This is about where I am with mine. I'm calling it a WIP though, just to encourage myself.

Storm Surge
08-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I finally got going with the rewrite of WIP 3 and my sister comes over with her one year old who wants to climb in my lap and pound on my computer with a hairbrush.
*sigh*
Maybe tomorrow...

Namatu
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
This is about where I am with mine. I'm calling it a WIP though, just to encourage myself.
After ten-plus years, I'd just get discouraged calling it a WIP. I think of it that way, but it's still not quite ready. I do look forward to the next revelation however. Good luck with yours!

reenkam
08-14-2007, 09:47 PM
yay, WIP talk!

I was aout 1/3 through a WIP that's third in a series and I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I still love the story, and I know I'll continue everything soon, but I had another story that was basically attacking my imagination and creativity, hoging everything. I finally caved in to write it.

The idea for this WIP first came last October and I wrote a chapter and was neutral about it. I set it to the side for a few months and then went back and did a second chapter, taking a different angle. I was neutral about this, too, at best. I put the whole project on hold at that point.

Recently I was wondering what it'd be like to come at the story from a completely different character's point of view. I started writing and I really like it so far. It's a style different from what I usually do. I tend to have 'light' writing, that's conversational in voice, even when the subject is dark. This WIP is a little more literary, I suppose, but ti's still urban fantasy, but hopefully different than what's already out there (no vamps!).

I've also decided to let myself go free with this. I'm doing no chapter breaks (I'll add them later) and I have no projected word count. I'll just write until the story's over. If it's too long, I'll chop. I know I don't write short, so no issue there.

I'm feeling good about this. Maybe it'll be my agent-getting work :)

jnesvold
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I have recently become afflicted by "Writer's Block." It sucks, because I really liked the story I was working on. I've switched gears to another tale, which will hopefully dislodge the block and allow me to finish the first one.

seun
08-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I have recently become afflicted by "Writer's Block." It sucks, because I really liked the story I was working on. I've switched gears to another tale, which will hopefully dislodge the block and allow me to finish the first one.

Fingers crossed, mate.

Azraelsbane
08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
THE END! :partyguy:

Okay, now to clean it up.

Stew21
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm about 10K words from the end.
:D
Next week at this time, i'll get to do all that hornblwoing, snoopydancing and sighing relief. (right before I dive in to draft #2)

Stew21
08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
And congrats to you Az!

Jack Nog
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but I had me one of those danged lightning strikes in the dark last night which pretty much settled the book.

I don't plot so to speak, I just take an idea and start writing. Somewhere in the middle of the writing a resolution presents itself and I know the major story arc. Kinda nice how that occurs. So far two for three in this method.

Kate Thornton
08-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm already on page three. Okay, I write slowly - I'm a short story writer working on a novel, but I find myself perfecting every damned sentence before I move on. I am soooo slow with this! I want to get to the action now. The set-up's done.

mum23
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm already on page three. Okay, I write slowly - I'm a short story writer working on a novel, but I find myself perfecting every damned sentence before I move on. I am soooo slow with this! I want to get to the action now. The set-up's done.

I am exactly the same! It takes ages to get onto chapter 2 because I am re writing chapter one. Draft? I don't do drafts. Well I do actually. I have a draft that reads like a social services document. All telly telly telly no showy showy showy.

scarletpeaches
08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Page 183. Chapter eleven. Stuff happens. Then it's chapter twelve.

triceretops
08-15-2007, 11:28 PM
On page 93 right now. Have all of the major characters introduced and pretty set in their ways. I'm deep in the Shoshone forest of Wyoming on the fringe of Yellowstone Park. I'm trying to capture the grandure of this place, researching Cody and studying the geodetic survey maps of this beautiful area. I only know that I'm working toward the major climatic scene in where my werewolf girl will be chased by the sheriff's department and his nasty hunting dogs, her ranger lover, a nutso cyptozoologist, and mad scientist father and his sidekick. While she's on the run, her mutated brother draws the heat by killing many of the area residents, which puts the blame on her. To escape them all, she's freeclimbs Devils Tower to the top, where she hides.

Have NO idea how I'm going to spend the next 200 pages to build up to that. Guh. Haven't had to resort to an outline yet. But I think I smell one around the corner.

Tri

BarbJ
08-15-2007, 11:45 PM
I have 2 WIPs right now. One is completed (hah! - well, sort of) and on hold to go back to after I let it simmer on the back of the stove. Then it might actually be completed.

The second is at the second rough-draft stage, and I'm now in the middle of the first chapter in the final draft stage, pre-final edit. Why do I call it "final" draft? I may "final" again.

And, of course, I was glancing through AW at work and noticed the Sudden Fiction thread. I've never done flash fiction, but it sounds intriguing - and instructive since I tend to write looong. Now I've rough-drafted 2 flash pieces.

Ah well, at least I have some choices on what to work on this weekend...

Esopha
08-16-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm so close to finishing LC, it's driving me crazy! I'm no more than 10k away. So close, so close!

No more AW! *slaps self*

Shady Lane
08-16-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm on page 112. Having a rough time with it, editing other stuff instead.

Varthikes
08-16-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm on Chapter 8 right now with 70 pages. And the action is rising.

seun
08-16-2007, 01:00 PM

I got past this scene last night. I made the owner realistic but human as well. I figured just because he runs a crappy hotel wouldn't make him a bad guy.
Think it works quite well.

tjwriter
08-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm making progress. A little longhand every day.

But my story is turning into a spewed mess. I haven't figured out how the magic works, my MCs talk in a voice that is too modern for their time period, and one of MCs left a very safe place for very little reason to go to a place where she is wanted.

But screw all that. I'm just going to write it and let it happen. Figuring it all out will have to come later.

aadams73
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I can see the finish line. Today or tomorrow my first draft will be done.

seun
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I can see the finish line. Today or tomorrow my first draft will be done.

:snoopy:

Feels good, doesn't it?

Varthikes
08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Page 77 and starting Chapter 9.

triceretops
08-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Page 104 and the start of chapter Nine. This book is daring me to write an outline. I'm resisting the urge, treating each chapter like a tiny book. So far so good. It seems when I finish one chapter, I know right where to go for the next. Don't know how long I can keep this up. Guh.

Tri

Tasmin21
08-17-2007, 02:49 AM
I finished off chapter 11, AND wrote the entirety of chapter 12 today. *boggle* I never write that much! Hope my boss doesn't realize I'm slacking.

Lyra Jean
08-17-2007, 02:52 AM
I'm 3,000 words into my novel. I've finally come to terms that I write fantasy and that I'm okay with it. Put my historical wip on hold as I don't feel I can work on two novels at the same time.

Short stories. Attempting to get "Barbie Pill" published again. The magazine does reprints. Trying to get "A Bedtime Story" published. It was already rejected once but I believe I found a few markets I could send it too. Thank God for Duotrope.

ccarver30
08-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I wrote about 1500 words last night. I am so happy with my re-write. The first edition sucked so bad. I am feeling a little giddy about the whole thing.
*squee*

Chameleon
08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Seeing as how I'm currently in the midst of final exams, I haven't yet to start a WIP. But I do have characters developing in my head at the most inconvenient times --like when the exam proctor is reading the instructions to the exam. I have an idea about my main character, a minor character that might have a bigger role than expected and the premise for the society I want to create. I don't know how to play the story out yet, but then again, I'm not going to know until I put pen to paper.

Chami

Chameleon
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I wrote about 8 pages last night, double-spaced, on my latest project; tentatively titled: THE THINGS DUBIOUS PICKLES DOES.

I like the title!

Chami

Stew21
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I just committed to finishing the first draft this weekend. I'll come back on monday and let you know how I did.

SDBmania
08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm confident that I have finally ended my second manuscript. It's at 68000 words and I just can't think of a valid way to continue it. I feel the story has wrapped up well with leaving one or two loose ends for fun(did that to allow a possible sequel in the future.) I like how it ends so far, but I may change it since this is just my first draft. I also admit that my goal was to end at 80000 words and I kind of wish I hadn't come up short. Still, so far so good. Now I've got to go through the whole thing and I'm going to have to overhaul a few parts in the book. Mostly adding some story content as I kind of made some major changes after I wrote most of it.

Just mostly that it's now completely independent from my first self-published work, "The Last Rejection." A move I feel good about. Though the story is somewhat similar, it now has no more ties plot or time wise to my first book. I think that was a good decision. That meant changing some names of a fictional domestic terrorist group(which may become something different) and a pharmaceutical company.

Boy, that's a lot to undertake. One of the things about the upcoming process that I like is that major changes could occur. I sure do love the creative process!

seun
08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm getting near the end of my WIP - second draft. I already know a couple of scenes don't work as they are but I can deal with that once the story's done.

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I have reorganized some scenes and neared the end of Act I. Whew! I've already written a few scenes of Act II.

Still brainstorming Novel #3.

tjwriter
08-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm about 10K in, I think. I still haven't typed in the longhand stuff, which I keep making more every day. I figure a writing catch-up day will be called for shortly.

I finally have all six characters in the same room, and they will find out more than they ever wanted to know soon.

ccarver30
08-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I am nearing the 30k mark and am soooo happy with my WIP. It is a re-write and it is so much better. Thank heavens I realized it sucked instead of trying to send it out to 15 more agents. Whew! :)

triceretops
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, after 2 1/2 years, this is book number six and I'm at the 40,000 word mark. My agent has made this the number one priority over the other two, and wants to follow it chapter by chapter. Kind of nice to be watched the whole way through it. But...it is also a lot of presure with the desire to get it perfect. Very taxing on the nerves.

Tri

ajkjd01
08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
What do you do when you're on your eighth draft, and something STILL doesn't feel right?

That's where I'm at.

It's not that the story is bad or the writing is bad. In fact I rather like it. My critique group likes it, and the beta readers I've had looking at it have liked it a lot.

I'm not satisfied with the prologue and the opening of the first chapter. I feel like I'm nailing my MC's voice and thoughts, but it's slow to get going. I've rewritten it four different ways, and I'm still not happy.

Any thoughts?

Dave.C.Robinson
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
What do you do when you're on your eighth draft, and something STILL doesn't feel right?

That's where I'm at.

It's not that the story is bad or the writing is bad. In fact I rather like it. My critique group likes it, and the beta readers I've had looking at it have liked it a lot.

I'm not satisfied with the prologue and the opening of the first chapter. I feel like I'm nailing my MC's voice and thoughts, but it's slow to get going. I've rewritten it four different ways, and I'm still not happy.

Any thoughts?

I know this is going to sound harsh, but have you tried dumping it? If the prologue and start of the first chapter aren't working cut them out. Start the book where it is working and weave anything the reader absolutely has to know into the story as it progresses.

I know that when I write something I just can't get right, I usually find it's because it's something I don't need for the story and the words don't feel right because they shouldn't be there.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM

How about you?

I'm pretty happy with how my manuscript is coming along. I'm on Draft 3, and in the middle of Chapter 5. The book is 34 chapters long, and I'm aiming for a word count of 90,000 with this draft.

It seems to be coming along nicely. Each chapter is at least a page longer than my previous version, which I am quite happy with. If every chapter is made a page longer, then I'll easily make the word count goal I have set up.

I am moving fairly slowly right now, though, because time is at a premium. But I'm finding my writing is actually better than it has been in many years because of this time constraint, and I think, for me anyway, this will prove very advantageous to my writing quality over the next few months.

I probably will have the book finished sometime in September, and it looks to me like this will be the final version of the book. After that, I plan on submitting the piece.

Of course, I'll have to proof it so as to find any spelling errors, etc., but it'll pretty much be done otherwise.

:)

maestrowork
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Any thoughts?

I agree with Dave. How about dumping both? I cut out 7 chapters to get to my final draft. It was a GREAT cut.

Legionsynch
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
The current WIP is going well. I had a new character drop themselves right into the middle of my story, and basically take over. After I got over the shock of that, I rather enjoyed where the story is going.

I've introduced all but two of the most important characters in the story, and the last two should be coming up soon.

I think I woke up Sunday with 1,300 words so far, and right now I'm right around 7,100. That's a few productive days, I think. :)

ajkjd01
08-23-2007, 12:50 AM
I've actually been mulling exactly that thought....about cutting the prologue and the first chapter entirely. I hate to do it (like most of us hate a major cut), but it's taking too long to get to the first attack scene in a werewolf story, which is at the end of chapter 3.

Maybe I can turn the fun little interlude at the jail I started with into an ending point of the story instead....

Claudia Gray
08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
I have two more evenings to get Stargazer in shape to go to my betas. I know other things I need to do, but I am definitely at the point where I need another set of eyes to ask the questions that I think are obvious but might not be to somebody who hasn't been eating, sleeping and breathing this book for the past several months. I am happy with how my latest rewrite has gone. Several things needed fixing, and in almost every case, the fix has gone more smoothly than I'd hoped, flowing well with the text and working with the overall story. Let's hope the betas will agree.

My three other WIPs currently exist as a fairly detailed outline, a very rough outline and some notes hurriedly jotted down, respectively. (I'm not even counting the next book in the Evernight series with this.) After I finish Stargazer, I'm going to have a hectic couple of months -- I have to move, I'm doing some traveling, and, if my PT doesn't go better, possibly some surgery. :( I've decided to work these WIPs up to the proposal stage during those months so my agent can see what I'm up to and give me the thumbs up or thumbs down; after things stabilize a bit, by November or so, I will dive into the third Evernight book.

tjwriter
08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Hmm. I'm feeling pretty good about my WIP right now. Things are going pretty good.

Sassee
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I've been distracted! Aaaaahhh!!!!

Kate et al have decided to take a vacation on me. They're like "sorry chica, we're hangin out at the pool for a while." In the mean time I've had another character burst into my head like a shotgun blast, and she's tearing up her own space in there. I gotta come up with a storyline for her quick... she won't go away!

Sean D. Schaffer
08-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I finished Chapter 5 yesterday, on my Third Draft. I'm 84 pages into the manuscript now, and so far things are still working out for the best. The Third Draft is 7 pages longer at this point than the Second Draft was. I'll need roughly twenty pages total added to the work to get it to the 90,000 word mark. For once, I'm actually confident I might make it.

I worked on about 750 words last night, partially because I'm on a slower part of the manuscript and I love writing the quick parts better. However, as I finished the chapter, I'll be going into some more interesting parts as the manuscript progresses.

One thing I will probably do with the chapters, is alternate them more frequently. Right now, I have a change in scenery every two or three chapters, and I don't think that's really what I want, except for in a couple of places. The present situation draws scenes out much too long, and I really believe the work can be heavily enhanced if I work on changing the scenery more quickly, like every chapter. I will probably do that when it comes time to do my final proofread for spelling errors, etc.

So that's where I am right now. I am not enjoying the work completely at this point, but what writing I do accomplish, is still very much better than it was in the previous draft.

Sassee
08-24-2007, 10:54 PM
I've been distracted! Aaaaahhh!!!!

Kate et al have decided to take a vacation on me. They're like "sorry chica, we're hangin out at the pool for a while." In the mean time I've had another character burst into my head like a shotgun blast, and she's tearing up her own space in there. I gotta come up with a storyline for her quick... she won't go away!

... she's still not gone, and I still don't have a storyline for her. This is pretty weird, because the story/character usually come to me simultaneously, or the storyline comes first and character shortly after. I've never had a character randomly materialize and not know what to do with her. It's weirding me out. And it's making me lose focus on my current WIP...

ishtar'sgate
08-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Ack, what a question! I thought when I finished my last novel, found a publisher and saw it on the stands that I'd be so pumped I'd have no trouble whipping out another novel real quick. Wrong. It's agony. My first novel was historical and so is my second. I'm still thrashing around trying to find just the right opening. I like my characters, have written several scenes, know the direction I want to take but I hate every opening I've tried so far. I took a break over the summer. I was obsessing way too much. Come fall, I'll take another stab at it. Hopefully I'll get it right this time.
Linnea

Sean D. Schaffer
08-25-2007, 05:13 AM
My WIP is coming along nicely today. I wasn't sure I was going to work on it, though. I'm four pages into Chapter 7 now, and have just passed the 25,000 word mark, so I'm pretty happy at the moment with how well the WIP is working out.

Now if I can just get back to work and finish this chapter, that would be even more cool.

seun
08-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I finished my WIP today - second draft, at least. It needs some work in places for a couple of thin scenes but it's more or less done.

It's been strange writing this one, not least because of the book's relative short length (41,000 words). It's a sequel to a book I've had rejected a few times but that didn't come into it when I decided to write this one. I had the story to tell and it felt like the right time to do it. That's partly because I've decided to focus more on paranormal/fantasy work for a while. Finishing this book means I can put 'normal' fiction behind me for a while. I won't reject an idea just because it doesn't fit in Fantasy but after doing this for several years, it feels like it's time to get some real focus.

Stew21
08-27-2007, 06:59 PM
congrats on finishing your second draft, seun.
I just started my second draft.

Azraelsbane
08-27-2007, 07:05 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm still on Chapter 9 of my Third Draft. I was going to finish the chapter last night, but time and other activities got to me and by 2 AM, I realized I'd have to do the work today.

As of this moment, the manuscript is 13 pages longer than the Second Draft at the same spot. The book seems to be coming along quite nicely. Also, as my Second Draft printout has 24 lines per page, thanks to the header I put on it, and my Third Draft, which does not have a header, is 25 lines per page, the word-count length should be substantially different by the time I finish the draft.

Not too many changes have occurred within the manuscript's basic format or its storyline. I had one time thought I would be adding more plot and an extra storyline, but the book, now, doesn't really need it.

So that's what's basically going on with my WIP. It's coming along nicely, and I am pretty pleased with the progress.

BenPanced
08-27-2007, 10:29 PM
It's about this guy. Who does some stuff. With that other guy. And this other guy. And another guy, too. And the fifth chapter is el sucko stinkerino, so I'm starting it over again because I'm writing the thing and I think it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags and it doesn't really fit the structure I've done with the other chapters so I think I deserve some ice cream, dangit.

rihannsu
08-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm on the first draft of my short story- but by my calculations, I'm more tha n 10% through it. I have a really loose outline for it, but the pantser method is helping me more.

I got an idea for a screenplay today at lunch. :D

AceTachyon
08-28-2007, 02:27 AM
After a bit of a break, I jumped back into my WIP. Currently at 2500 words and moving along. The frustrating bit is trying to find more than half and hour to write every day. But I'm coping.

I think.

necia phoenix
08-28-2007, 02:41 AM
I am nearing 80k on my main WIP. I am so excited.

Jack Nog
08-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, lets see.

A proposal is due at work, so I can't skip out to go write. I don't even take a lunch any more.
My doctor put me on some medication that basically takes away my will to write. I really can't explain it. Maybe not my will, but at least the urgency to get something out for the day. I was so scared I'd lost something that I did take a break yesterday, but ended up proofing a section I'd written weeks before. I ended up writing about 300 words.
Planning a surprise party for my wife.
My wife (teacher) is back at school this week and my son is back at daycare.

I promised that I'd start revising WIP #1 and can't even find the time to print it out. And I feel that if I do that, the writing will suffer more. I do not want to end up as a writer with 10 novels that are all in first draft form.

Can someone change me to the 36 hour day and only require 4 hours of sleep for sanity and well-being?

/gripe over

MelodyO
08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I had planned to get up early every day this summer and write before the family woke up. Instead, I slept in then read AW every day, and school starts in a week so I won't be able to write in the early mornings at all.

I am my own worst enemy. ::smacks myself around::

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I had planned to get up early every day this summer and write before the family woke up. Instead, I slept in then read AW every day, and school starts in a week so I won't be able to write in the early mornings at all.

I am my own worst enemy. ::smacks myself around::

Welcome to the club. :)

Though, admittedly, I graduated college last semester, so I don't have to worry about school. I'm just lucky that my husband is so interested in my story he thinks I should stay home and write instead of getting a job. LoL.

Jaycinth
08-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm having the hardest time getting jump started after being without a computer from april to July...and then getting swampped with evening and weekend work.

So I was over at the bar complaining. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1585273&postcount=4966) And As I was leaving I saw this sign and I thought that this thread might be a kinda AA for Writers.

Hello. My name is Jaycinth. I have 4 projects in the works, I am not really working on them and now I've gone and ressurected another project.

I'm a sick little fairy.

Azraelsbane
08-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Hello. My name is Jaycinth. I have 4 projects in the works, I am not really working on them and now I've gone and ressurected another project.

I'm a sick little fairy.

I find that if you put just a pinch of strychnine in a WIP's kibble, it keeps it nice and manageable. Good luck! :D

Sassee
08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
<ninja bunny's head slowly slips off of her palm where it's resting>

<ninja bunny jerks her head up and snorts, suddenly awake>

What? I was resting my eyes. No really...

<looks around>

I'm working on my WIP. Sorta. After like a month break I wrote about 700 words. I really need to figure out how this thing is going to end so I can write towards it. My characters are getting irritated with me.

The other character that burst into my head is patiently waiting for her own storyline to appear. Not sure how long that's gonna last (the patience, I mean). Tho, I'm trying to get the other WIP finished first before I open the floodgates on this new girl.

I think I need someone to come over and whip me into shape periodically. "Oh really? You're not writing?" whoo-pish!

AceTachyon
08-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I think I need someone to come over and whip me into shape periodically. "Oh really? You're not writing?" whoo-pish!

So you're suggesting we put together a support group to beat each other toward submission?

:tongue

seun
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I started my edit last night. People look at each other before they speak FAR too much.

glassquill
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm currently editing my WIP for the first time. I suspect I'd get on much faster if only ideas for the second book didn't interrupt me all the time. Got to love characters that have a mind of their own. :tongue

triceretops
08-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Slowing down just a tad on The Lupis Strain. There's no reason for it really. Big action hunt coming up, and I need to fashion a clever snare to capture a wild beast. Got the perfect one too. It's just getting to the location that's bugging me. It's a like a safari and having to cross some ground to get to the destination. Gee, what do I describe--the blue jays and raccoons on the way? You can only look at a pine or fir tree so many ways. Ah, that's where LOTR would come in handy. He was a master of moving over long stretches of real estate with some pretty good narrative.

Bleck.

Tri

Sassee
08-29-2007, 06:35 PM
So you're suggesting we put together a support group to beat each other toward submission?

YES!!!

ajkjd01
08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm currently editing my WIP for the first time. I suspect I'd get on much faster if only ideas for the second book didn't interrupt me all the time. Got to love characters that have a mind of their own. :tongue

Yes, yes. Me, too.

Only it's not just the second book that's intruding. It's the second book, and the third book, and ideas for a fourth...

AceTachyon
08-29-2007, 09:04 PM

YES!!!

:whip:

Write, dammit! Write like the wind!

JoNightshade
08-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm at the point where I am getting really impatient with myself. I'm at the end of my second draft, looking at about 4 little scenes that need writing and a couple of spots that need marginal rewrites.

AND I WANT TO SEND MY QUERIES OUT NOW! AAAAAAGGHHHH!!!

I know I have to wait, I know I do. I know I have to make this shine. But it's haaaaard!

ccarver30
08-29-2007, 09:23 PM
My siblings got in to a fight last night. I loved it. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/moontower07/mwahaha.gif

Azraelsbane
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm at the point where I am getting really impatient with myself. I'm at the end of my second draft, looking at about 4 little scenes that need writing and a couple of spots that need marginal rewrites.

AND I WANT TO SEND MY QUERIES OUT NOW! AAAAAAGGHHHH!!!

I know I have to wait, I know I do. I know I have to make this shine. But it's haaaaard!

Calm down, Jo. I'm in the same boat. :) Been working on this thing for a decade, and I've finally got it done and am in the process of polishing. I'm barreling through edits/rewrites at about 2 chapters a day, and it's driving me nuts. I still have to write two scenes that I decided were mandatory, and I promised my betas I'd have stuff to them by Sunday night...

Not to mention I just want to query already! Argh! I feel ya, but we have to remember that the better it is when we send it out, the less grief we'll get with rejections. :Hug2:

glassquill
08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes, yes. Me, too.

Only it's not just the second book that's intruding. It's the second book, and the third book, and ideas for a fourth...

I know exactly what you mean, believe me. :D

sanssouci
08-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I think I've finally come up with an interesting opening scene where *gasp* something actually happens.

A huge improvement on the comatose meandering I usually start with.

Sean D. Schaffer
08-30-2007, 08:09 AM
My WIP is coming along fairly well right now. I've added another 19 pages to the work with Chapter 10. At present it's 163 pages long, and therefore 40,750 words in length.

I wrote the chapter first on the typewriter, but I finished with the computer. I've already worked on the first nine chapters with the computer, so I see no reason to finish it on another machine. I wish I had left the typewriter alone this time, as the chapter took me two days to finish.

I still have 24 chapters to go on the Third Draft, and the work is coming along very slowly. But I'm going to try for a two-chapter-a-day goal for the next couple weeks to see if I can't finish the manuscript before September is over.

I hope you all have a wonderful day today, and I look forward to writing to you all again.

glassquill
08-31-2007, 09:33 AM
I give up on getting any editing done on the first book. :flag: It's difficult to concentrate on correcting mistakes when ideas for the second one is gnawing on my ankle.

Excuse me while I go write out the second one. Maybe when that's done I could edit both of them together. (I know. Excuses, excuses.:tongue )

Spiny Norman
08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm done with my second edit, though my narrator still uses a lot of "sort of" and "kind ofs" and I'm weeding those out.

Right now the only issue is the first chapter. The novel is extremely voice-oriented, as it's FP narrated and the guy has a really strong voice. He's also an extremely smart but very troubled young man, and as he tries to look at his life he brings in obscure comparisons and analyzes them in a bemused, detached manner, a la Vonnegut, I suppose. He then insists they have nothing to do with the story, but of course they do. These subjects go from plant life in deserts, the amount of time it takes from light to get from the moon to the earth, brain tumors and mass murderer, railroad mishaps, and what a blue whale's vagina really thinks, if anything.

The first chapter is one of these. It's a meditation upon plant life in Death Valley, and how the flowers can wait decades for one rain storm to bloom for mere hours. It's pretty good, it's a recurring theme (especially the flowers), but I wonder if it's enough to grab the reader. I certainly think I wrote it well and it gives people the impression "There is something very wrong with this narrator," but does that grab them?

It's in the Mainstream SYW forum, if you want to know. My various neuroses are eating me alive on this.

triceretops
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Standing at 60,300 words at the moment. I outlined for the next six chapters ahead. Now I have some direction at least on where I'm going.

Tri

Sassee
09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
The bounce has gone out of my bungee. /cry

Stew21
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
second draft is under way, and going smoothly. I've discovered a character trait in my MC that I think I'm going to expand on, and a plot hole that needs to be filled.
I'm incredibly happy with the progress.

ccarver30
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I came up with the perfect thing to help me get unstuck at lunch today. Yay! :D

triceretops
09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
69,400 and going along smoothly. Waiting for a damn wheel to fall off. A nasty block in the middle of the book is norm for me--so what's up? I ain't bitchin', going for more coffee in the kitchen.

Tri

Claudia Gray
09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
In final, final stages of edits on Stargazer. I'll probably end up rewriting Ch. 1 again -- this is becoming a ritual -- and I know I want to add a tougher scene for Jared. Other than that, though, it's mostly line edits. I'm feeling good about it.

seun
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought I was nearing the end of my edit, but a few issues have occured to me so it may take a little longer. I've thought of a new scene for near the end which is just so delicious I have to write it :D. A couple of other scenes need developing as they're kind of thin.

And I can't make up my mind on the title. It's been The Great Gig In The Sky since day one, but New Year's Day is looking good, too.

ccarver30
09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
I was in the middle of a juicy part and my battery started flashing. I guess 2 hours was a good amount of time- plus Starbucks was about to close. :D

Sean D. Schaffer
09-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Finished my manuscript 2 days ago. I haven't written anything new, but I have been thinking about a new story, which I outlined a few months ago. I will probably make that outlined piece my new project.

Sassee
09-08-2007, 06:34 AM
FINALLY! Good God. I got through that chapter...

Azraelsbane
09-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Ahhhhhhh!!! I'm gonna cut Morghan's heart out...with a spoon! A very dull spoon! I need her to move her ass already.

Okay, that is all.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Finished my manuscript 2 days ago. I haven't written anything new, but I have been thinking about a new story, which I outlined a few months ago. I will probably make that outlined piece my new project.

I just now realized I'm NOT done with the manuscript, as I have a whole bunch of revised work on the piece, that has been typewritten, that is not in the final product. I've decided to recant what I said about it being finished and revise the work on the typewriter. I imagine it will take me another week or possibly two, to get the work completely finished.

However, I'm convinced the word count will be even higher when I finish the WIP. So that's one good thing going for me.

Cranky
09-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Do I wanna talk about my WIP? Can I use dirty words? LOL

I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it! Did I mention that I hated the cursed thing? I took a couple days off, due to a nasty migraine, and I came back to it tonight. And stared at it. Backed up, re-read a little bit, trying to get back into the groove. Nothing.

OK, I thought. Fine, I'll just skip this, and move ahead to the next story point, and just leave a few bread crumbs for me to follow later on. Again, nothing. There is nothing!
I'm sitting here, staring at it and thinking, "Who cares? Why the hell is she even going to this place? Is it necessary? Am I just moving her around because I feel like it? And why should anyone care about this little twit's adventures, anyway? This stinks!"

And of course, my MC has clammed up, and won't tell me a damned thing about what's going on. I might as well be picking my nose...at least that would produce something, gross as it is.

AAAAAHHHHH!!

Chameleon
09-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I have an idea about my first WIP but I really need some practice writing creatively. I've been writing in legalese (legal writing is the opposite of creative writing), so I need to get some practice in. To do that, I've created a blog to post short stories once a week. I have a MC and a whole bunch of interesting minor characters. The planning is coming along well, and I have enough ideas for stories for about a month and a half. I'll just have to see if I'm committed enough to do this thing. woohooo. I feel so excited.

Azraelsbane
09-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I just now realized I'm NOT done with the manuscript, as I have a whole bunch of revised work on the piece, that has been typewritten, that is not in the final product. I've decided to recant what I said about it being finished and revise the work on the typewriter. I imagine it will take me another week or possibly two, to get the work completely finished.

However, I'm convinced the word count will be even higher when I finish the WIP. So that's one good thing going for me.

Yeah, good luck with that... I started with 102k and I'm down to 87k. Went definitely the other way for me, but trust me, it needed it. BAD. ;)

Good luck editing!

lostintheweb
09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
I have an idea about my first WIP but I really need some practice writing creatively. I've been writing in legalese (legal writing is the opposite of creative writing), so I need to get some practice in.

I understand completely. Nothing like writing a brief to undermine the ability to write creatively.

triceretops
09-08-2007, 02:27 PM

It's still nice to see you in the home stretch, Sean. Looks like you'll be adding some word count, which isn't bad at all.

Tri

Sean D. Schaffer
09-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Snipped...

It's still nice to see you in the home stretch, Sean. Looks like you'll be adding some word count, which isn't bad at all.

Tri

Thanks Tri. I don't know why I'm having such trouble with my decision-making at the moment, but it is getting tiring. Last night I 'decided' to only put two chapters of the revised work into the WIP and to do it on the computer. I don't know what my problem is! I'm half tempted to just throw in the towel on this piece and give up entirely, because I cannot make a good decision on what I need to do.

What I really need to do is suck up and just let the writing be finished. But I'm always bothered by what could be. I make these decisions and then change them almost immediately when I find out they're the 'wrong' decisions. I think what's going on, is I want to be perfect even though I know it's not possible.

You know? Aside from Chapter 17, I really don't need to re-write any of this manuscript. Chapter 17 was pretty badly-written in the 2nd Draft, but in the 3rd, it was pretty darned good. I'm going to go ahead and change it and leave the rest of the piece alone. This manuscript has torn me up so much over the last couple years, that I really need to move on.

I just wish I could make a decision and stick to it.

:(

She_wulf
09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, good luck with that... I started with 102k and I'm down to 87k. Went definitely the other way for me, but trust me, it needed it. BAD...

I've got the opposite problem. A tight, action-packed manuscript (IMO) that is just about wrapping up, and only at 52K

*sigh*

tjwriter
09-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Doing a massive type in of the writing I've been doing longhand. Hoping to spark some of the stuff I've been struggling with.

The story has real potential, I just need to work on me.

Le sigh.

Sassee
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
The good news: I wrote 2k words yesterday!!!

The bad news: My characters started writing themselves into the final scene about 15k words (approx 2-3 chapters) early... :e2smack:

ccarver30
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I didn't get to write jack sh*t this weekend. :(
Tomorrow should be a good day though!! :)

Sean D. Schaffer
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Today I'm going to see about working on a not-so-new project. I just have to figure out whether I have reason to change the names in this project or not.

seun
09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I've started that scene I mentioned here a few days ago. It's an expansion of a scene I already had - going well so far.

AceTachyon
09-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I didn't get to write jack sh*t this weekend. :(

Echoing carver.

Although I got 50 words done this morning before our cat demanded attention.

Otherwise, we find "presents" on the carpet.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Since I decided, last night, to cancel my DSL connection and go off the Internet entirely, I had a spurt of creative energy last night. I decided one last time, after all, to re-write The Redemption of Jonathan Rahn, and just last night I wrote 25 pages on the typewriter. That translates, using the 250 method, to 6,250 words. In one night.

I am beginning to feel a confidence in my writing ability that I've not felt in my entire life. I think this decision to finally leave the 'Net has spurred on the creative impulse, but I'm wondering if there's something more to it than that.

I know I cut ties with a very bad influence in my own life last week, and that could also have something major to do with how much I work on my WIPs.

But I wanted you all to know that I am feeling like the proverbial 'million bucks'. My writing is taking off, and I have the un-shakable feeling that my present WIP is going to be my debut novel. I have no idea where this confidence is coming from, only that it is not from my own mind. I'm thinking perhaps all the years of losing are about to finally end.

I hope you all have a great day today, and I'll talk to you all later, hopefully ... although I'm not sure when.

My DSL konks out on Thursday the 13th of this month. Best wishes to everyone.

Sassee
09-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Slowly fixing my too-soon ending. My characters have stopped clamming up on me and words have been spewing out at a good clip since Sunday. Crossing my fingers and hoping this keeps up... 71k of 90k! Woo!!!

PeeDee
09-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Want to talk about your WIP?

No.

*bursts into tears*

Sassee
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
No.

*bursts into tears*

/comfort

Sassee
09-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Holy crap I wrote two full chapters since Sunday. I think I'm possessed...

Sean D. Schaffer
09-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Today I wrote two pages so far ... but I was at a friend's apartment much of the day, so I couldn't really do much writing.

But the night is still young, and I am enjoying my manuscript again. After the 25 pages I wrote last night, I really am beginning to feel the need to be writing more.

For the moment, I am quite happy.

DragonHeart
09-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I really need to get back in gear. I made the mistake of missing a couple days of writing due to unrelated matters and before I know it, two whole months have gone by and I've barely written anything new. Luckily things have settled down somewhat, but that's still a lot of time I can't make up.

My priority right now is to get my butt in the chair and get The Dragon Stone finished and revised.

~DragonHeart~

seun
09-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I got my WIP more or less as I want it last night. All that's left is sorting out the chapters and finally deciding on a title.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Last night, I wrote another 6 pages, plus part of a seventh. I'll have to re-write that last one, because I was getting so tired I could hardly stay awake while writing it. I had to keep working even though my body was screaming for sleep, in part because the last word of the previous page's last sentence, had to go on a new page. Ticked me off big-time, because I wanted my rest.

But I made sure to have about half the seventh page done before I took it out of the typewriter. I used to leave pages half-done in the typewriter, but with the paper stuck in the cylinder it would always end up bent in the middle when I finally took the page out.

Besides that, the writing was getting bad, because I was so darned tired. The time wasn't the issue, so much as I had just taken my evening medications. They make me sleep very well. :D

Anyway, that's what's going on with my WIP. Have a good day today, everyone, and best wishes with your WIPs.

Sassee
09-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Dang, that last chapter ended up being too short...

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Last scene addition... almost there!

Calla Lily
09-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Last scene addition... almost there!

Tease. :e2poke:

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Tease. :e2poke:

Ha! :) No, really... I'm finishing already, promise!

My husband is about to strangle me, because he's been missing a wife for the past three weeks. And then Monday I fly to Cal for a week. Poor guy has the worst luck.

DragonHeart
09-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Finally, some progress. Only a couple hundred words so far, but it's something. I hope Alexander knows what he's doing, cause I sure don't. Stupid dragon, not even telling me his plans. *grumbles*

~DragonHeart~

AceTachyon
09-13-2007, 02:14 AM
Holy crap I wrote two full chapters since Sunday. I think I'm possessed...
/exorcism

Tasmin21
09-13-2007, 02:44 AM
I finished chapter 18 even though I'm not happy with it at all. I am learning to "allow myself to write crap." It's harder than I thought it'd be.

Sassee
09-13-2007, 02:48 AM
/exorcism

What? Nooooooo! <struggles>

Must... write... <spasm, cough, poof!>

<sits calmly>

You know, I think I had other stuff I was supposed to be doing.

<wanders off to do everything *except* write>

Shane Fitzsimmons
09-13-2007, 02:59 AM
I've got the first two acts broadly outlined, and am working on the third. I hope to have that done by the end of the week, and then I'll probably spend the next two weeks or so doing the chapter outline.

I'm reasonably happy about where things are going, but I'm hitting some snags with fleshing out the characters. I have issues when it comes to being able to get inside a character's head before I know their name, and I'm pretty ridiculously bad at coming up with good names. I've come up with some pretty great ones that I'm very pleased with, but I still haven't named my main character, and the way things are going I expect that he'll probably be the last person I come up with a name for.

I guess that's just the way it goes, though.

DamaNegra
09-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Eh... I've been kind of writing lately. Sort of. I'm not even writing chapters, but I finally hit the 27,000 mark. I'm putting on about 1000 words per day, which I haven't been able to do since... erm... never. Expecting to hit the 28,000 mark today. Maybe the 30,000 mark by the end of this week.

.... yeah right.

Esopha
09-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Everything in Blue is coming along really smoothly. It should be a straight shot from here to the end, unless my characters throw me a curveball.

We've gotten back to Fairyland in LC. It's exciting, behind in the maze for the third time. ;) I have the rest of the manuscript to edit, another scene to write, and then two or so more edits before I have to find beta readers.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Sadly, on my last day on the 'Net, I have nothing to report. I didn't work on the manuscript at all today.

But that's okay, because I have 31 pages finished in two days. Not a bad accomplishment for me.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and I hope to talk to you all later.

necia phoenix
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I finished my monstrosity....
well draft #1
I am going to take a few days off of writing and try to unwind.

Azraelsbane
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I finished my monstrosity....
well draft #1
I am going to take a few days off of writing and try to unwind.

Grats!! :D

Priene
09-13-2007, 11:52 AM
My WIP: like nailing a sponge cake to a ceiling with a set of dessert spoons.

If you'll pardon me, I'll be bellowing inanely for the next few minutes.

Harper K
09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm struggling to get farther than one page into my 3rd draft. I wrote a great 1-page prologue the other day which established a new framing device for the story... and I thought Chapter One would follow easily from there.

Well. It hasn't.

The opening chapters from my last draft are OK but not great. They need to be reordered, and there need to be some changes to voice and style. I'm not sure whether I can do that best by performing some major edit work, or by doing a total rewrite of those chapters. I really need to decide soon. And get to work on it, instead of just staring at draft 2 and feeling like crap.

seun
09-13-2007, 11:22 PM
You'll all be thrilled to know I decided on a title. My now finished (current draft, at least) is The Great Gig In The Sky.

Yay, me.

ccarver30
09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
You'll all be thrilled to know I decided on a title. My now finished (current draft, at least) is The Great Gig In The Sky.

Yay, me.

Ah, you decided on one! Yay! :)

seun
09-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Ah, you decided on one! Yay! :)

Yeah. New Year's Day seemed too vague. :)

ccarver30
09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I think the Gig is more original too. :)

Varthikes
09-15-2007, 09:32 AM
You know...

It's very interesting when your characters suddenly take control of the story. You have something planned, but they've got something else in mind.

That happened to me today with "Echoes of the Past". The main character is telling her backstory to another of the main characters. I was planning to conclude the backstory one way, but the character decided differently.

I've also started developing an alternative version of my semi-fanfiction, making it a fully-original story.

glassquill
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Back to square one again. :cry: One of the main characters isn't working out right. I have seen cardboard cut-outs with more personality. Can't just remove him because the whole plot will fall apart. :Headbang:

Oh well, at least I still can fix it. I think.

Lesson I learnt from this - If you keep running into walls, it's time to look behind because something isn't right. :tongue

Azraelsbane
09-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Back to square one again. :cry: One of the main characters isn't working out right. I have seen cardboard cut-outs with more personality. Can't just remove him because the whole plot will fall apart. :Headbang:

Oh well, at least I still can fix it. I think.

Lesson I learnt from this - If you keep running into walls, it's time to look behind because something isn't right. :tongue

I'm so sorry, Glass. :( You'll get it! I know you will. Aleanna is too good of a character to be thwarted by her brother's incompetence. ;)

As for my wip... It's in the hands of betas, and I just wrote my first query and posted it for crits. Getting so nervous...

DragonHeart
09-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Alexander sure is taking a lot of abuse lately. I feel bad, but not enough to take those parts out. :D

It's actually kind of fun working without an outline. Never know what's gonna happen next! I think it'd be a lot more boring if I'd planned it. Or at least, there'd be no smacking the dragon soul stuck in human form in the face with a big stick otherwise. Hey, it was for his own good...I think.

And yes, I'm aware that the second-to-last sentence is nearly unreadable.

~DragonHeart~

Marian Perera
09-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Yay, I just finished Part 1 of a three-part novel. Part 1 is three chapters and just over 40,000 words long. I think I'll go get a meatball marinara sub from Subway to celebrate.

lfraser
09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Finally got my MC out into the big old world, which is where Part II starts for her. Now I have to go back to the other characters and push them along the same timeline so they're all ready for Part II at the same time.

I don't know exactly what happens in Part II. That scares me. But I've been working with an outline, and I'm not sure whether it's helped me or hindered me, so I'll try workng without for a while.

I'm also at the 77,000 word mark, which means this will be way too long if and when it ever gets finished.

Varthikes
09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Alexander sure is taking a lot of abuse lately. I feel bad, but not enough to take those parts out. :D

It's actually kind of fun working without an outline. Never know what's gonna happen next! I think it'd be a lot more boring if I'd planned it. Or at least, there'd be no smacking the dragon soul stuck in human form in the face with a big stick otherwise. Hey, it was for his own good...I think.

And yes, I'm aware that the second-to-last sentence is nearly unreadable.

~DragonHeart~

Hey, even when you do make an outline, the story tends to take a different route from what you've planned evrey now and then. At least, that's what I'm discovering.

DragonHeart
09-17-2007, 06:36 AM
That's true enough in itself, I've just found that outlines tend to bog me down too much. I spend so much time figuring out how everything works, I forget I'm supposed to be writing a story to go along with it. So I'm trying the process in reverse and writing the story first. So far so good, at least.

~DragonHeart~

Sassee
09-17-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't want to rewrite this chapter, I really don't. I've written it twice already and my characters have run in different directions both times, altering the storyline in major ways both times... I have a feeling the third time will be no different. Bah.

These things need to learn to write themselves, imo.

Dragonfly45
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
My WIP was going really well and smooth for a while there, was up to 20,000 words and was just, well, flowing. But the past few days it hasn't been going as well, just because I haven't been as motivated as I was. So I stepped away from it for the weekend in hopes I could come back to it fresh on Monday and be more gung-ho, so we'll see...right now though, I feel like i'll be able to get a lot done tomorrow, because my mind has gotten unstuck over the weekend, I think.

seun
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't have a WIP at the moment. I finished the second draft of my last book a few days ago and have been doing the agent search since then. I've got a couple of ideas for a short story but neither really grab me, so I'm a bit...lost. :Shrug:

sneakers145
09-17-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm six chapters into the first (rough) draft of my newest novel and so far like it. I'm also experimenting with first person present tense, so that's been interesting. Trying to be mindful of ratcheting up the tension as I go along. My goal is to write straight through without revising, then see what I've got.

ishtar'sgate
09-18-2007, 01:25 AM

How about you?
No, I DON'T want to talk about my WIP. My characters only want to do what THEY want to do, not what I want them to do. Who do they think they are, anyway? :rant:
Linnea

LeslieB
09-18-2007, 01:28 AM
No, I DON'T want to talk about my WIP. My characters only want to do what THEY want to do, not what I want them to do. Who do they think they are, anyway? :rant:
Linnea

*sigh* My world and welcome to it.

Work in progress. Ha! What progress?

Sassee
09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Why does my WIP hate me?

Monkey
09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm working up a synopsis for my YA so that I can continue with Submission Hell.

Believe me, once it's semi-readable, you guys will be seeing it in SYW. Hopefully, that'll be within the next few days.

I'm also working on a non-fiction. It's my first time. And the subject is complicated. And I have a co-author. ARRRGH.

It's a fascinating concept, though. It's about the Tarot, and using the Tarot, Mythology, and your imagination to shape your situation and guide your future. My co-author has been using this technique for about 30 years, and has had some impressive results. The funny thing is, part of the book is written almost exactly like an RPG.

I can't help but grin every time I open up the file and start work. For years, people have accused D&D of being a gateway into the occult. It isn't. But the book I'm writing right now sure as heck is!

I'm hoping that since it will be marketed as more of an obviously occult how-to sort of thing, people won't feel that I'm trying to lure in innocents and won't freak out so bad. On the other hand, if they buy my books in order to burn them, I'll get rich! :D

Anyway, I haven't told many people about that WIP because it's a hard concept to explain and some people are going to be angered by anything that has to do with the Tarot. My grandparents, for instance, will *not* be pleased.

Monkey
09-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Gah, I've been working on that YA synopsis for a while now, and it's getting worse instead of better. I just posted it under "Children's" in the SYW thread, if anyone wants to give me a hand.

I pay in reps!

Sassee
09-19-2007, 05:18 AM
You know what, I think I'm going to rewrite the whole thing. It's not completely beyond repair but I think I would spend 3 times the effort fixing it than I did trying to make myself sit down and write it in the first place.

<sigh>

I guess I should try to make an outline this time around...

Sassee
09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Trying the snowflake thing with my existing material. It's sort of therapeutic (sp?). Maybe I won't rewrite the entire thing after all...

Sassee
09-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I have an innate talent for writing myself into a corner. I've gotten my characters stuck in a situation *I* don't even know how to get out of. How does that happen? LOL!

Claudia Gray
09-23-2007, 04:43 AM
I think my outline is finally in shape for me to begin Delilah, so I'll start writing later on tonight. I'm excited and a wee bit nervous, but nothing to do but plunge in!

Cranky
09-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Trying the snowflake thing with my existing material. It's sort of therapeutic (sp?). Maybe I won't rewrite the entire thing after all...

Stupid question alert: What's "the snowflake thing"?