Problem novel vs. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
Let me see if I can make my question make sense.

I have a manuscript that I shopped around to only about 3 publishers and then shelved for a while because I want to change it. This revision isn't what I'm working on now but it's simmering away in the back of my mind so that I'll be ready to tackle the manuscript when the time comes. The MC is 19 and struggling with anorexia. But I don't see that as the real crux of the story. Without getting into a whole synopsis here, the story is one of her claiming a right to her own feelings and viewpoints. It's about her relationships with the people around her as well...and basically it's a coming-of-age story. Along the way, she sets herself on the road to recovery from her eating disorder.

Would this automatically be categorized as a "problem novel" because she happens to have anorexia? The ED is really just an external manifestation of what's going on inside. (I didn't know any of this in advance, by the way. Just wrote it as it came to me and then later on was able to see what it meant.) Basically, is it possible to have something like anorexia, which is a hot topic in the media, show up as part of a book and not have readers immediately see nothing but "book on anorexic teen" when they look at it? I thought about removing the eating disorder from the book entirely so the deeper themes don't get lost...yet the struggle with the disease illustrates her personal growth so well, and she has such lucidity regarding her experience while being embroiled in it, that I'm not sure losing that entire aspect of the book would be the way to go. Thoughts?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
From watching a friend recover from bulimia--

I'd say an ED is always an external manifestation of inner turmoil. So maybe your MS is a "problem" novel. The themes won't be lost simply because the MC has an ED...they'll perhaps be highlighted because of it.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I've got bulimia in a book I'm shopping right now, but it's definitely not a problem novel because it's not a huge part of the book.

If everything you say is true (Jesus, I sound like I'm interrogating you...sorry about that), and you have a strong story not directly related to the ED, I don't think you'll have a problem.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
One of my books that I'm revising right now has an ED as a very minor subject, as depth for the character. But in no way is it an ED novel...So I wouldn't call yours a problem novel

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
It really matters if this is seen as a problem novel if you don't want it to be. The reason being that "issue" books aren't so popular right now as the market is pretty saturated. If someone wants a book on an eating disorder there are lots to choose from. Focus on the coming of age story and keep the eating disorder as part of the character's make up. In a coming of age novel the MC usually needs a motive in order to get over their problem and reach maturity. An eating disorder would certainly give motive, but if you don't want it to overshadow the complexities of the relationships, keep it firmly under control.

In my own novel (in submission), there is lots of violence, but I had to be extra careful not to wander into bullying territory for the same reason. Violence was key to the plot, but if it looked like the characters were dealing with bullying, it would have been branded an issue book. Come to think of it, it's chock full of "issues", but none of them overshadow the focus of the story.

At least I hope so :)

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
Grey Malkin, you've perfectly described the balance I want to strike:
Focus on the coming of age story and keep the eating disorder as part of the character's make up. In a coming of age novel the MC usually needs a motive in order to get over their problem and reach maturity.
and
Come to think of it, it's chock full of "issues", but none of them overshadow the focus of the story.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
One book that does a masterful job of portraying a main character with an eating disorder without actually being about that eating disorder is How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.

Of course, it's post-apocalyptic, which means she does have quite a lot more to talk about. But I really liked the subtle but meaningful way the narrator's anorexia was handled.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of issue books because I sometimes feel they are using entertainment (ie a novel) as a means of educating a YA audience - sort of sneaky really. But every now and then you get an issue book which comes at you like a smack in the face - no real story, just "this is how it is". Monkey Taming by Judith Fathallah is one, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath another. Both are fiction, but they come across as autobiographies because they ride so close to the writers' own experience.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One book that does a masterful job of portraying a main character with an eating disorder without actually being about that eating disorder is How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.

Of course, it's post-apocalyptic, which means she does have quite a lot more to talk about. But I really liked the subtle but meaningful way the narrator's anorexia was handled.

I was thinking of the same book. I highly recommend it. It's fantastic. She never comes out and "says" that the MC has an eating disorder, but you can tell.

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Claudia and Soccer Mom. I'll have to look for that book some time.

I think another danger with problem novels is that of taking a real-life problem and diminishing it to a source of sensationalized entertainment without respect for the personal growth that underlies the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.