Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka eraser

Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" feature

My publisher recently gave permission for this feature to be applied to my book. Initially I had misgivings; I suppose because I worried how much would be available for "free." I just spent a few minutes checking it out and am no longer concerned on that account.

When I put my "reader" hat on I like the idea. It allows the virtual equivalent of browsing in a store and might lead to more sales.

How do you feel about it as readers/potential purchasers of online books? How about as writers; are you comfortable with having parts of your book "out there?"

SFEley

Re: Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" feature

Authors working with Baen and Tor have released content on the Web, from opening chapters to entire books, and the anecdotal evidence seems to be that giving the work away for free can increase sales of the paper edition.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

Stephenie Hovland

There's an online book club that also gives away part of the book. They send out parts of the book each day. The concept behind it is to expose people to more literature, and after reading a chapter or two, you either like or don't. I would go out and buy it, if I read the first chapter and got hooked.
www.dearreader.com/

I thought the Amazon feature was a good idea. When I browse online, I don't always have the freedom to check out the table of contents, or read the first page, like I do in a book store.

I like it as long as they have guidelines, so it doesn't go too far.

Stephenie

Jules Hall

Lately I've come across a few books from series that have the first chapter of the next book at the end of the current one. It's pretty much the same thing, only without needing to be part of a series for it to work.

I've browsed through the Baen library, which I think is pretty cool, although I'll admit I've bought no books because of it. But this is primarily because I'm too lazy to order books, and none of my local bookstores seem to stock any by writers that are in the library (most UK bookstores seem to only stock books published by UK-based imprints, and I don't think Baen has one :( ).

Betty W01

I hate it. But that's from the POV of someone trying to use it to find a certain book or type of book. I can't tell you how many times I've typed in a keyword or title or an author's name, and gotten books which included the keyword in their pages - somewhere - or part of the title or one or both parts of the name. Argh. And then the book I wanted either wasn't on the list at all, or it was on like the 102nd page of a huge long list of responses. Argh. I wish you could turn that feature on or off as desired. It hasn't helped me once!

As for Baen, Mercedes Lackey's latest book (which I got from the library) includes a CD of a whole bunch of complete books from Baen and other interested writers, and it is stamped with permission to copy the CD for personal or sharing use. I read John Ringo's There Will Be Dragons that way. It was good, but boy, I do not like reading a whole novel on the computer screen. However, reading his book made me look for his newest one the last time I was out, so I guess it works.

ChunkyC

I downloaded 'The Honor of the Queen' by David Weber from Baen's free library. I haven't finished reading it because it is tough to do on screen, but I ended up snagging another of his books in paperback as a result and quite enjoyed it. So I have to say that being able to preview a book should help sales.

maestrowork

As a reader I love it. It really gives me a chance to check the book out -- a few chapters or a few pages. I have purchased a few books that way -- books I normally would not have bought unless I could flip through them in the stores.

Pthom

I have to log in here with those who like it. It makes the process of determining what to buy a LOT easier.

James D Macdonald

Recall, though, that some publishers dont' own electronic rights to the books they published, and some publishers or authors have signed exclusive electronic rights agreements with other parties.

Yeshanu

I don't know about the rights angle of this, but speaking as a reader, I wouldn't buy a book on-line unless I'd had a little peep at what was inside it, or in the case of something like Logical Chess, had it recommended by someone I trust.

If you think about it, it's just giving internet browsers the same priviledges as bookstore browsers. I never buy a book from a bookstore without reading at least one chapter to know I'm getting value for my money. I'm not a rich person and every dollar counts...

I suspect that I'm not the only one, and that's why putting a chapter or so on line would help sales.

BTW, eraser, the last time I checked on Amazon, I couldn't look inside your book, so I'll just have to go back now and do that, won't I? :grin

maestrowork

I suspect if the publisher doesn't have the electronic rights, they won't be participating in the program. Not all books have that feature.

James D Macdonald

I've got the first chapters of most of my books on my webpage.

absolutewrite

Yep, I always provide an excerpt on my website, too. And I totally agree with Betty about this whole issue:

I can't tell you how many times I've typed in a keyword or title or an author's name, and gotten books which included the keyword in their pages - somewhere...

I was shocked when it was first implemented-- I did my usual search for "Jenna Glatzer" (to check on my book rankings and new reviews) and found something like 100 results. I thought, "Oh, wow, did I write a bunch of books I forgot about?" Then I found that my results included anyone who mentioned the name Jenna OR Glatzer anywhere in their books!

I *THINK* the Search feature has evolved, but initially, the writers' associations were furious (as I was, too) that you could effectively print out about 90 percent of the pages of any book that allowed this function. It was especially bad for authors of cookbooks, how-to books, travel guides, etc. because a reader could simply search for the particular recipe/s, instructions, whatever, and print it out without buying the rest of the book.

Anyone know if this is still the case? I strongly believe that only the first chapter or two should be made available (if the author and publisher agree to it).

arrowqueen

There's an excerpt from my Kate Benedict one, 'Wages of Sin' on amazon.com.

I was quitre flattered - and it's quite handy being able to tell people they can go and read a bit.

Cheers,
aq

stormie267

Hmmm...

...my publisher gave permission awhile ago for Amazon to add the look inside the book feature for my book, Lost And Found Love. After reading these posts, I decided to go to Amazon, and now I find the Look feature for my book is gone! I loved it when I had it. People could read the first five pages, as they would in a bookstore, and decide.

Anyway, I'm all for it.

Editrx

Re: Hmmm...

Baen Books has had a significant increase particularly in midlist books that have been in print for a number of years by making them available as full text for free as a part of the baen.com website (Free Library). The paper sales went up drastically in all cases. "Snippets" of upcoming or newer books appear to have the same effect for new titles.

BTW, of course Baen has UK distribution: we distribute via Pocket, and so Simon & Schuster UK carries all our titles when they distribute to UK bookstores (same as the US distribution). I suspect if you look in a major UK bookstore you'll see the standard Baen titles.

I found Amazon sales for my own nonfiction book (2003) had a nice spike after the "peek inside" snippets went live on their website. I had already posted the first few chapters and TOC on my website -- I believe strongly that it helps sales.

(pertinent revelatory information: I am the production manager for Baen Books)

HConn

Re: Hmmm...

(pertinent revelatory information: I am the production manager for Baen Books)

So... are you the person who's kept my manuscript incommunicata since April '02? And doesn't respond to my queries??

:b

Kidding, editrix. I know it's not you. I just couldn't resist the urge to post that.

Status
Not open for further replies.