PDA

View Full Version : orphanage house controlled by the church?

David Gonzalez
07-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Hello first time posting here so I don't know if there a way to ask around..
well I just want to know what the Sisters daily duty when they are in the orphanage

Daily routine ..
what age a girl is require to become a Sister?
do orphanage pay education?

The_Grand_Duchess
07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm not very sure of your question. I'll try to help you though.

I don't think the girls have to become nuns at all. But if they wanted to it depends on the time period. It has to do with marrying/adult age I believe meaning anywhere between 16 and 21 probably.

I don't think orphanages cover higher education but they do teach the kids or send them to school. Once again it all depends on the time period that you're dealing with.

I hope that helped some.

job
07-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Are we talking modern day?

There are few, if any, ordinary 'orphanages' in operation in the US any more. They mostly closed in the 1955 to 1975 period.

Lots of reasons for this.

Could you use
a facility for the mentally retarded
a hospice
a treatment facility for AIDS babies
residential treatment for drug users/runaways
?

theengel
07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
There's an orphanage here in Cincinnati...St. Joseph. Still run by the Catholic Church. But I don't ever recall seeing nuns there. I used to work on their printers.

They do the elementary schooling and stuff right there in the building.

I've never heard of a girl being required to become a nun.

The_Grand_Duchess
07-26-2007, 04:04 PM
There's an orphanage here in Cincinnati...St. Joseph. Still run by the Catholic Church. But I don't ever recall seeing nuns there. I used to work on their printers.

They do the elementary schooling and stuff right there in the building.

I've never heard of a girl being required to become a nun.

See that's why I think he's asking about an older time period becuase back in the day it was expected that either you were married off or you stayed and became a nun.

johnnysannie
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
In the heyday of Catholic orphanges in the US, both boys and girls lived in the orphan homes. The Sisters had many duties but included teaching the children, cooking for the kids, cleaning up, admininistering discipline, etc - anything you can imagine being part of childcare would be possible.

Girls were not required to become nuns any more than boys were required to become priests or brothers. Most orphans could stay until they were about 18. Some orphanages found jobs for their children at that age - a domestic job for a girl or a farmhand job for a male.

Daily routine would be something like rise early, have prayers (and most likely Mass in a chapel or adjacent church) breakfast, chores, schooling, more prayer, etc.

There are not very many Catholic operated orphanages in the US today and the few that do exist are more likely to have a lay (non-religious) staff just like most parochial schools have lay teachers instead of Sisters. There are just not enough Sisters to perform all the duties.

Now if you want a setting where a girl would be headed to becoming a nun, a convent setting would be more ideal especially in the past. Convents sometimes took in orphan girls and vocations were encouraged heavily if not forced.

David Gonzalez
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your answers!
I won't try to go deeper into since it's just going to be used as a background setting. *needs to print*
Anyhow I think I got enough info since I kinda get the idea of their daily routine etc etc