Bubblegum Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been reading some of "Shady's Edgy YA" thread, and of course, felt thoroughly left out because I am far from edgy, both as a teenager and a writer. My books would fall under the bubblegum, girly, pink cover variety. They may be considered YA chick-lit or YA romance. I am not afraid to admit most of my writing is light, fluffy fun. Maybe bubblegum is a writer's version of a derogatory slur, an insulting, demeaning term, but I won't shy away from calling myself a bubble gum writer. I am sure (well, hopeful at least) that there are a few more bubblegum writers on this board, and I think we deserve a thread too. Not that we don't like all you edgy writers out there. *waves to Shady_Lane*

I don't think being bubblegum necessarily means a book is bad. There's nothing wrong with having a fun read, in my opinion. Also, some bubblegum books can have surprising depth at times, and many are well written! Plus, not everybody wants to read a book with constant sex, drug use, and cursing.

A well-written bubblegum book I've read recently is Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress by Tina Ferraro. While not YA, what I've read of the Enchanted, Inc. series by Shanna Swendson is also good. It's like bubblegum fantasy.

Does anyone else here write bubblegum books? Tell me about your writing. Also, does anybody have any book recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you started this thread.

I think my thread got twisted around a bit...I have flat-out nothing against fun, upbeat YA fiction. I could read The Year of Secret Assignments and Flipped until the cows come home.

There are times you don't want to be hit over the head with a message. There are times you don't want to watch your MC thrown into pits of dispair. Enter bubblegum fiction.

The only reason I ignorred it on my thread is because writer's rarely worry (in my experience) that their YA is too bubblegum to get published.

There's room for all of it.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't mind the so-called bubblegum books. Well, it depends on which ones. If it's a book about a girl and she needs to find a prom dress in a week and that's it, I won't read it. If it's a book about some rich high schools and their drama/money filled lives, I'll read that.

I see no problem with writing either of the things I mentioned. It's what you like, so go for it. People live both ways, so it's not like one's more realistic than the other (comparing edgy and bubblegum).

I've thought about writing something like this before, but I don't know if I can. The closet I got was a WIP about friends wanting to be popular...but it quickly turned into a whole test of friendships with screaming and people running away and getting shot and all sorts of stuff. I don't think it'd be called edgy, though, so maybe it'd be bubblegum...is there something in between?

Anyway, I have some recs...but I can't be sure they're bubblegum, not that I'm thinking about it.

What would books like Gossip Girls fall under? I mean, there's cursing and sex in those...but I don't think people call them edgy...

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Can I join if I write middle grade bubblegum? My first book was a fairy novel, aimed at girls. The one I am working on now is for boys (Pinocchio as a teenager, though he doesn't remember being a puppet). Both are fun, casual and (I like to think) funny. I didn't read the ther thread yet, though I've been meaning to, but I am sure most would agree there's a place for both types of writing, just as in the adult market.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I think my thread got twisted around a bit...I have flat-out nothing against fun, upbeat YA fiction. I could read The Year of Secret Assignments and Flipped until the cows come home.
The Year of Secret Assignments is AWESOME. I cracked up the whole time...

People should read all of Jaclyn Moriarty's books. Feeling Sorry for Celia is pretty good and funny. And I really liked The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie.

Are her books considered "bubblegum"? If so it's not really a bad thing...those books are hilarious, imo

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a novel that has two teenagers falling in love while being chased through a gigantic planet eating space ship by a three eyed space lizard.

Is that bubblegum sci-fi? It's got a lot of jokes and a lot of action and a lot of romance. Mmm...adorable teenage romance! Not so much on the darker bits, though there is threatened rape, child killing and xenophilia...which is kinda creepy.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I ignorred it on my thread is because writer's rarely worry (in my experience) that their YA is too bubblegum to get published.

There's room for all of it.

Ha ha...I sometimes worry about being too bubblegum. My characters are somewhat innocent and concerned with first kisses. I know that lots of teens are having oral sex and stuff, so I have a tendency to worry they aren't edgy enough for the YA market.

Actually, an agent suggested that I revise my current novel into a tween novel, and it actually worked out very well. In my opinion, at least. I don't know what he thinks about it. Maybe I was really writing tween fiction this whole time?

I do agree that there is room for all types of fiction in YA, which is essentially why I love the YA section of a book store. There is so much variety. I may not like edgy, someone else may not like bubblegum, but we should both be able to find a YA book we enjoy.

Also, I didn't mean to say I was offended by anything on the Edgy thread. I just felt like making one for lighter fiction, seeing as I had nothing interesting to add.

Yes, I suffer from lack of edge.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I find it amusing that my characters are really concerned with first kisses...but then they move on to concerned with oral, then full blown sex. But it's done in a way that I think is true to what sex should be: Making love.

I.E: Something magical and beautiful that should be shared between people in love, not just pawned off cheap.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I find it amusing that my characters are really concerned with first kisses...but then they move on to concerned with oral, then full blown sex. But it's done in a way that I think is true to what sex should be: Making love.

I.E: Something magical and beautiful that should be shared between people in love, not just pawned off cheap.

can I just say...that was beautiful :D

I did have something worth reading to add...but I've forgotten...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Er...thanks? Beautiful in "Aww, the idiot savant got something right again.' or beautiful as in, "Sniffle, I love you man! <Group guy hug>"?

I'd like to post examples, but I'm sure that would be considered showing off/plagiarizing.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
What would books like Gossip Girls fall under? I mean, there's cursing and sex in those...but I don't think people call them edgy...

I call them "bitch lit" or "slut lit" (hey, Satori, tell us how you really feel...), but I spoke to a big-time Executive Editor about Those Books at a conference earlier this year, and she very pointedly categorized them as chick lit.

My response: ??!??

I'm not much of a chick lit reader, but I think there's a biiiig difference between Gossip Girl and, say, Sarah Mlynowski or Meg Cabot's books. YA chick lit, to me, is basically romantic comedy. And most of it is good clean fun. Gossip Girl and its ilk make entertainment out of materialism and social climbing and money-worship. Definitely not bubblegum fiction. I wasn't offended by Smack or Doing It or Go Ask Alice or Forever or Looking For Alaska or Wicked Lovely but holy hell am I EVER offended by Gossip Girl.

*off soapbox*

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that Gossip Girl and A-List are definitely not the same as Meg Cabot and her ilk. I don't read them, but I'd consider them something like mean girl lit.

I've just thought of some bubblegum books people might like. There's a Simon Pulse Romantic Comedy line. They're very recognizable. They all have similar cartoon covers. I've only read How Not To Spend Your Senior Year by Cameron Dokey, thus far. Who knew faking dead could be so much fun?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I too hate Gossip Girls, and I've never read it ;D

But it SOUNDS horrid.

I made it through a couple of pages of one, decided it was the literary equivalent of My Super Sweet Sixteen, and reshelved it immediately.

Sadly, there is an audience. On the upside, at least they're reading.

And a grudging Kudos to the author who saw the market and capitalized on it, thoug I personally could not have brought myself to do it!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Zoombie: It was a group hug comment haha

Everyone Else: Wow...I didn't know people hated GG so much. Actually, I did. My sister reads them and she tells me about them and, to me, they sound like a good time. She and I both know that they're not serious literature, or even Meg Cabot, but they're like reading the tabloids. It's all in good fun.

And I kind of like My Super Sweet Sixteen...anyone see the movie?!?! :tongue

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
It's all in good fun.:tongue

And that's why they exist (though they're not really my own personal definition of "fun").

Super Sweet Sixteen is a little more disturbing to me, 'cause it's real teens. I am mostly disgusted with the parents who have raised their children to believe that acting like a spoiled brat is somehow cool and acceptable. Whereas these bratty types may be fun/entertaining to read about in literature, seeing the real ones throw tantrums on national television is scary!

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
It'd be like the Simple Life! Yesssss

wow...I'm really seperating myself from everyone with my comments, aren't I...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Except it wouldn't be a shitty T.V show, I'm hoping.

Soooooo...bubblegum sci-fi should have a market. But it's not really a bubblegum, more of an optimistically realistic adventure story with lots of jokes and two very adorably in love MC's.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like bubblegum sci-fi would just be called normal sci-fi. Though...I guess there is a difference, in a way. But from what you've said about yours it sounds like there's a lot of action and stuff. I'd think bubblegum sci-fi would be something like...a robot looking for her prom dress.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
There's room for everything. Really. I don't care if I'm reading somethnig edgy or something "bubble gum" as long as it's well-written...generally I prefer books that give me some food for thought, but my main point is that it's well written.

shana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shananorris.com
I think my stories fall under the bubblegum category. I write humorous YA romance. They're meant for mostly light entertainment although I hope readers who are looking for a deeper meaning under the surface do find it because there is one there, I just present it in a fluffy package. No sex, no drugs in my books. As a teen I wanted to write edgy and throw in a character who was on drugs and other characters who were having sex all the time, but as I got older I realized I just wanted to make readers laugh and take them away from problems and pressures like that for a while. I read a lot, so sometimes I read edgier stories, other times I'd rather read something funny and light. I like both as a reader, but as a writer I lean toward light entertainment.

The Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies are fun to read. And the Mates, Dates series by Cathy Hopkins.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I'm sorry, Proverbs, I think I may have been the one who started the 'bubble gum' label. I said it sometime ago when describing the YA chick lit. And no, there isn't anything wrong with YA chick lit. It sells, kids love it, keep writing it. It has it's place. I like YA fantasy myself.

So I've been reading some of "Shady's Edgy YA" thread, and of course, felt thoroughly left out because I am far from edgy, both as a teenager and a writer. My books would fall under the bubblegum, girly, pink cover variety. They may be considered YA chick-lit or YA romance. I am not afraid to admit most of my writing is light, fluffy fun. Maybe bubblegum is a writer's version of a derogatory slur, an insulting, demeaning term, but I won't shy away from calling myself a bubble gum writer. I am sure (well, hopeful at least) that there are a few more bubblegum writers on this board, and I think we deserve a thread too. Not that we don't like all you edgy writers out there. *waves to Shady_Lane*

I don't think being bubblegum necessarily means a book is bad. There's nothing wrong with having a fun read, in my opinion. Also, some bubblegum books can have surprising depth at times, and many are well written! Plus, not everybody wants to read a book with constant sex, drug use, and cursing.

A well-written bubblegum book I've read recently is Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress by Tina Ferraro. While not YA, what I've read of the Enchanted, Inc. series by Shanna Swendson is also good. It's like bubblegum fantasy.

Does anyone else here write bubblegum books? Tell me about your writing. Also, does anybody have any book recommendations? Thanks!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'd think bubblegum sci-fi would be something like...a robot looking for her prom dress.

I totally want to write about this now. I'm stealing this idea if you don't mind.

Last edited:

clockwatcher

Registered
Reaction score
The novel I should be editing is YA romance and I guess could be considered bubblegum but it's not really. It does have comedy but it's because the MC is very sarcastic. Nothing slapsticky or even funny really happens... just her opinions are dripped in sarcasm. And it also deals with the hero's parents' divorce and is quite family oriented. But it's lighthearted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.