Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
HI

Quick Q:

About How much would cost for getting a one off - stand alone color comic book/graphic novel published?

a) How much for the Artist?
b) How much for design/layout?
c) How much for printing/publishing?
d) Anything else?
e) About: Grand Total?
I am just wanting to find out about the costs for now.

I want to make my animation screenplay script into a comic book. I will be meeting with my artist friend next month to talk about this concept and if he agrees then we can work together on this project.

Kev.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at Lulu.com. I'm pretty sure they offer graphic novel services, so you can get an idea of printing costs there.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
My 2 books are POD and I am really put off going that route again!! Any other options?
K.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Check out the link at the bottom of this post.

It will take you to a company that I've done business with and I'm basically happy with.

As far as paying the artist that would depend on whether they want a straight page rate or a cut of the profits (presuming there are any) or just a piece of the overall ownership action.

If it's a straight page rate and the artist has no prior credentials and there's no strict deadline, about 85 to 100 dollars a page for straight pencils wouldn't be out of line.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com

Not really a quick A for this though.

About How much would cost for getting a one off - stand alone color comic book/graphic novel published?

Depends on the amount of pages (this for working out how much it will cost just to do the creative side as well as the publishing side) and the size of said pages (mostly publishing side).

a) How much for the Artist?

What kind of artist?

Generally a comic has a penciler, an inker, a colorist and a letterer. Depending on the quality of their work, and where you look, you can find the above creatives very easily, and offering ANY kinda page rate will seriously up your chances of finding someone to work with.

I would say (and these are ball-park, based on MY looking in the past...)
  • Penciler - $40-$120 per page
  • Inker - $20-$80 per page
  • Colorist - $20-$50 per page
  • Letter - $5-$20 per page

BUT, if your script/concept is strong enough, you CAN get a full team for free.

OK, not really free, you work out a deal where they get paid when the book sells. However, to stand a chance of finding people who are good, you should plan to pitch the book to a publisher when the pages are done.

FWIW, I recommend self-publishing as a LAST option. If you have the quality, there are lots of indie publishers who will be open to pitches.

b) How much for design/layout?

If you mean basically setting the pages, your artist will work on the pages and then send you the files. You pass the files to the printer/publisher. They should do that.

If you mean cover, logo, etc. Then the art team will do the cover (at an aditional fee) or you can get a guest artist to do the cover. The logo, you can work out with the art team OR hire a graphic designer to do that. If you go to a publisher, they may well help here.

c) How much for printing/publishing?

If you want to get an idea of the cost of self publishing check out comixpress. You get get a pretty good breakdown of the unit costs.

If you go with a publisher, they will cover the costs here. A decent set up will maybe do something like a 50:50 split. They cover the costs, then take half the costs out of your share when sales roll in. You will of course, be sharing the rights here too. If you don't wanna do that, then self publishing is the only way.

If you self-publisher, you will need to print out a large amount of comics before you come close to breaking even and will, likely as not, lose money.

If you self-publisher, I would basically assume that whatever you pay is lost money. You will never see it again. You won't sell a single issue.

That isn't as defeatist as it seems. Rather, I would consider that money invested in my career. Since I expect to make no money from sales, I am then free to give out my book as a sample and get my name out there. If you sell any, it's a BONUS!

d) Anything else?

You want to advertise/promote your book. This again can be as cheap or expensive as you deem worth your investment. Fliers, postcards, mailers, posters, banners, web-ads, t-shirts, the list goes on.

I would also seriously recommend tables at Cons. And while it's a chunk of change and a logistics pain in the rump, attending the bigger ones is gonna be much more worthwhile. Small cons are OK, and a good way to get some local buzz and support, but if you really wanna make some waves, you need the Wizard Cons, or San Diego. And again, if you are resigned to losing money on your book, you can get a small booth at one of these cons and sell at a massive discount or even give away freebies, and get your book out. Never underestimate the value of giving something away free at a con.

Different cons have different costs, including travel, hotels, shipping your stock and promo stuff, as well as the booth itself.

But having people come to YOU at a con is a MAJOR step forward.

e) About: Grand Total?
I am just wanting to find out about the costs for now.

How long is a piece of string?

There are so many variables, and your own mindset (what you want in return) that impact the bottom line. If you want to make some money, you'd be better off buying a powerwasher and cleaning people's driveways. If you want to break into comics, and have a long term plan, it can be seriously worth while. Even, at the end of the day if you just want to have fun, share a create experience with some other creatives, it can also be great. What you want out of it also dictates the investment and the payoff for that.

Not sure that helped a great deal. :D

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Hey Guys.

My comic is almost ready to go out and I am self publishing through Indy PLanet and using Ka-Blam as the POD. The profit margin is not too bad but it makes selling through Diamond or retailer distributors impossible.

My artists are fantastic and I got them way below page rate because they believe in the project. I opted out of giving percentages or creator rights because it is based on my screenplay and I don't want to cause problems there if it does sell as a film after the comic comes out.

I found them by lurking around comic message boards and when I saw an artists I like I emailed, told him what I was doing and asked to have the script read. That's what got them hooked. After some talks we agreed on a good page rate and now, after 6 months of preproduction, Issue 1 will be ready for sale by End of Sept (at the printers now in fact)

The subsequent issues (3 more) will be published quarterly and then after all is said and done, then I will go to publishers of note to get the Graphic Novel published through regular channels. My hopes are to add extras to it to make it appealing to those who bought the series as well.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Great news, Joe. Good luck! Your project looks great.

I plan on using Ka-Blam for two more graphic novel/TPB projects before the year is out.

The Miskatonic Project
1170282976_ftDmje_ioB.jpg

and The New Justice Machine
1170291859_UMe5XKVG3J.jpg

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Axler,

Just wondering and PM email me if you like.

What are realistic sales expectations? give me a rough idea and any means in which you market your work.

I'll send you a pdf of my comic. It really turned out great and would love for you to see a low res of it.

By the way, I like the cover for the Miskatonic Project. cool.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Well, to be honest with you, Joe...my reasons for publishing the Death Hawk graphic novel (and the others) don't have that much to do with sales...at the moment.

First and foremost, I wanted to collect the Death Hawk stories in one volume in order to preserve them, since the original paper stock they were printed on was one step above prison- brand toilet paper. With the exception of one issue, the original art has been lost to the ages (or to the first publisher's private collection).

Another reason is legal...it'll be easier to defend my property if aspects of it are lifted again when all the material is collected in one volume.

Death Hawk: The Soulworm Saga has sold respectably, I guess, when you take into account I've done next to no marketing, promotion or advertising. It's sold through the Indy Planet site and a couple of other mail order venues. I seriously doubt it will be carried through Diamond, however. Really just don't like 'em.

Now that my schedule is freed up a bit, I plan to do a lot more promotion for Death Hawk, but sales really aren't the driving factor....yet.

I did buy an ISBN number and bar code, so the book will be easier to get into brick and mortar bookstores.

Oh, yeah...the covers of both The Miskatonic Project and The New Justice Machine were penciled by the inimitable Darryl Banks and inked by the legendary Jim Mooney.

Last edited:

javili

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the Indy website, but see only sales. Are they a POD outfit like lulu How do you find out about that end of it?

javili

Registered
Reaction score
I get it now...planet is the store, K Blam is the press. Interesting prices structure.

Definitely a resource I will keep in mind.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
OK guys.

It's finally out.

My first limited series graphic novel is now published through them.

By the way, Axler. How long does it take for a sale to show up in your merchant sales section I keep asking Barry, but they are hard to get a hold of and peg them down on that question

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
OK guys.

By the way, Axler. How long does it take for a sale to show up in your merchant sales section I keep asking Barry, but they are hard to get a hold of and peg them down on that question

I really couldn't tell you, sorry. They were so backlogged when they printed the Death Hawk GN, it took them nearly two months to actually get it listed in the Indy Planet catalog.

Good luck with The Eyes of Mara...it looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.