Finally subbing again

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it's not like it's been years or anything. But for a couple of months there, mss. were coming home to me and I wasn't sending them back out.

But since the 18th I've sent out seven of my old short stories (counting the one to F&SF that's in the mailbox right now), and I'm working on a new one (since that's the only number in my sig that isn't getting bigger).

(I've also deemed two of my "literary" pieces trunkworthy, and despaired of hearing a response on my latest smoking story, which is too bad because there's no fallback market for it. But that's all beside the point.)

I just feel good that I'm not letting myself slide anymore. Those three or four months were pretty much wasted; I could have sold something in that time, or at least written something saleable. And now that I'm back in the game -- I still can.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Good for you, Solatium! Keep it up!

You are fortunate to have more than one piece to send out. (I just have my one and only book, on submission, so I'm playing the waiting game and feeling generally in a funk.)

How did you pull yourself out of your slump?

Good luck!

Susan

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Good for you! It's hard when you let things slip away to get back in the game. I have a tendancy to let everything slide during the Christmas holidays and getting back in gear is hard. This year, it was March before I started subbing again.

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
How did you pull yourself out of your slump?
Actually, it all came of a neatness tear I went on lately. Although I'd been recording responses on Duotrope as soon as I got them, I'd been neglecting to fill out my nifty little index cards, or to file my rejects in the proper folder. Since I was straightening everything else up, I decided to fix that too. And as I updated my cards, I realized I had all these stories that I could be sending out, so why wasn't I?

dahosek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dahosek.com
My only complaint about duotrope is that they don't seem to provide a means of recording submissions to markets which aren't in their database or which they admit exist but won't include because of a lack of on-line submission guidelines (Esquire and Story Quarterly I'm talking about you).

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I keep the cards.

(Smoke Signals is the only market I've dealt with that Duotrope hasn't deigned to include in their database, though, and that's a completely isolated set of stories; I don't send them anyplace else.)