'How to Write' books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Opinion seems polarised on these creatures - do you have any? Have you read any? What do you think of them? Do they help or are they just a waste of time that could be better spent getting down to writing your own book?

Me, I have quite a few and I much prefer the nuts-and-bolts type 'how to write' book. No zen for me, thank you. No, "You can do it!" Well yeah, maybe, but tell me how - that'd be a bigger help than 300 pages of backslapping.

I believe there comes a point where you have to put the instruction manuals down and get on with writing your own book. You can spend too much time reading 'how to write' books that you forget to write your own. Perhaps it's fear of writing something less than perfect? I've written plenty of crap in my time so I guess I'm over that fear. But I find this kind of book interesting. They pass the time and I pick up different ideas from different authors.

And there's the point - authors. I don't trust 'how to' books written by people who've barely had one poem and a shopping list published. I need help from people who know what they're doing.

Here are the ones I own (although I've read many more):
  • No Plot? No Problem - Chris Baty
  • The Creative Writing Coursebook - Julia Bell & Paul Magrs
  • Ideas For Children's Writers - Pamela Cleaver
  • Teach Yourself: Creative Writing - Dianne Doubtfire
  • The Ode Less Travelled* - Stephen Fry
  • Write Away - Elizabeth George
  • Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg
  • On Writing - Stephen King
  • See Jane Write - Sarah Mlynowski & Farrin Jacobs
  • Teach Yourself: Writing Poetry* - Matthew Sweeney & John Hartley Williams
  • Need to Know? Writing Fiction - Alan Wall & Gill Paul
  • Teach Yourself: Writing a Novel - Nigel Watts
  • Wannabe a Writer? - Jane Wenham-Jones
*I've included my poetry books in there because as far as I'm concerned, it's still creative writing, though in a different medium.

I didn't realise I had that many - but remember, they've been bought, read and collected over the past few years; not all at once. Perhaps if I'd read less, though, I would have written more? What do you think? Are they a delaying tactic for writers who aren't quite sure of their own technique, or a fun way to pass the time between masterpieces?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm, Write Tight, The 3 am Epiphany, Gotham Workshop, Write Brain, On Becoming a Novelist...

that's what currently on my nightstand. :)

personally, I think you learn to write by writing and reading. And reading for me includes everything I can get my little greedy hands on about writing (and the business of writing), not just novels. I also take workshops. Again, it's all about getting as many ideas and opinions I can get my hands on.

I think, though, being a good writer means reading them through, and taking what's useful and knowing what to throw out. Because you throw out a lot.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've read a couple (although the only one I own is On Writing). Not a fan of the 'inspiring' books that suggest anyone who can type is a writer.

They definitely have their place but reading and writing as much as possible is the way forward for me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a couple (although the only one I own is On Writing).

This is also the only one I own, and I think it's amazing. If you aren't sure if you want to check out any books about writing, I would start with this one. Even if you don't feel you've learned anything, (which is unlikely) Stephen King makes it a great read anyway.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
When I first set my mind to writing and submitting my work, I went to the library and took out books on writing. I did this for months. I also went on the Internet and read everything I could on writing. I joined AW, and lurked on other writer's boards.

I can't really say which book or books helped me the most. I think each one helped me in some way.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I own quite a few. I've found most of them to be fairly useless. The two I have really liked are On Writing, Stephen King, and Self Editing for Fiction Writers, Browne and King.

I'll admit that I was entertained by Some Writers Deserve to Starve, Elaura Niles.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow. I didn't realize I had this many.

Elements of Fiction Writing (Writer's Digest Series):
  • Scene and Structure
  • Plot
  • Dialogue
  • Beginnings, Middles, and Ends
  • Characters and Viewpoint
  • Description

The Art of Styling Sentences
You Can Write a Mystery
Crafting Stories for Children
Writing for Children and Teenagers
Elements of Style
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
Gotham Writers' Workshop: Writing Fiction
Writing Great Essays
Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
Stephen King: On Writing

Three English type books (from school) and a couple of books on grammar.

Then I have two books to help inspire: Writing Down the Bones and Room to Write. Both of which I haven't looked at in many years.

I think that's it.

Some have been very helpful like Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and the two writing for kids books. Gotham Writers' Workshop has been good as well. Some of the others, I have to admit, confused me more than helped me. There is such a thing as too much information before you're ready to digest all of it.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I've read through a lot of books (Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is still on my "to read" list), but I've kept only these:

The Lie That Tells a Truth
by John Dufresne (I like this one even more than On Writing)
Character and Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card (thank you, AW, for introducing me to this one!)
The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp (not a writing book per se, but a good book about creativity)
78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might by Pat Walsh (the snarky writing keeps my diva tendencies in check)

And of course, I have my Strunk & White, my dictionary, my thesaurus, etc., but I don't count those as "how to write" books.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh yes, I forgot that one. I also have Elements of Style. Seemed a bit American to me (well, duh) so not all the so-called rules would apply.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I own any books on writing. Wait. I've got Elements of Style, but I haven't read it in like 20 years.

I tried as a teen to read a "How-To" book and it was full of stuff that didn't help me. I hated the exercises and the recommendations. (You must always keep a journal, blah, blah, blah. Yuck. Hate journalling.) So I quit reading and haven't picked up another one.

Most of what I learned about writing, I learned from reading and from being around other writers.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have a few. The ones that really helped me were about specific techniques and best practices: plotting, dialogue, point of views, etc.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I have On Writing, Self Editing For Fiction Writers, and Writing The Breakout Novel.

Self editing . . . is the most useful one to me. Writing the Breakout Novel was very disappointing.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I have a big collection bought at thrift stores from over the years when I thought I might someday want to be a writer, but there's one I'm reading through for the second time (the only writing book I have with this distinction):

How to Write Best Selling Fiction

The author really promotes putting the screws to the reader, er uh, MC of the story, so that just at the point that things couldn't possibly get worse for the MC, they do. If I ever publish a book following this author's methods, it'll need a warning "The publisher Strongly Suggests reading of this book on a toilet, because it will scare the **** out of you."

ETA: there are copies on Amazon starting at only $80!

I don't think I own any books on writing. Wait. I've got Elements of Style, but I haven't read it in like 20 years.

I forget when the latest edition was published, but it's up to the Fourth Edition now, and also, it has two authors...

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I like the writing how-to books. I have read quite a few and the better ones are very entertaining (Stephen King can enthrall me with a shopping list.)

Reading and writing help me write better. I like to see what other writers think will help me - so I read them. I don't always take all of the - sometimes conflicting - advice, though.

I don't count the how-to books the same as reference books, though. Books on grammar and style, dictionaries, thesaurus stuff, works on poisons, methods of death and world-building are all in a different kettle.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
do you have any? I have a few 4-6
Have you read any? I've read many more than I own (my library has 10-15).
What do you think of them? Love them. (but I never do the exercises.)
Do they help or are they just a waste of time that could be better spent getting down to writing your own book? They have helped me immensely. I knew I could write because I've been doing it for years. But with how-to books, I've learned the craft. I may not use everything I learn but I've picked up so many great ideas and have had many Aha! moments. When I'm stuck or feel something is missing but don't know what, I'll skim a how-to book and see where it takes me.

Some of my favorites are
The Lie That Tells a Truth78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
First Aid for Fiction

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I love how-to-write books. I have many, ranging from the zen-type to the nuts-and-bolts type.

I will frequently sit outside on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee, a writing pad, and one of these books. I read a couple quick exercises, write a couple of paragraphs, and I'm ready to settle down for some real work. They get me in the mood, as it were.

I have a couple that I read (The First Five Pages, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers) that I read over whenever I finish a novel and dread the edit/rewrite process.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How-to

I know beyond doubt that how-to books have helped me tremendously. My favorites are "Zen in the Art of Writing," and "On Writing." I think both have the real nuts and bolts that I need as a writer.

But there are half a dozen or so others that have also helped, and that remain in my library.

I do, however, think that how-to books are largely writer specific, and the best how-to book for a given writer is almost always one written by a writer he loved to read. If you don't like a writer's fiction, the how-to book he writes probably won't do you much good.

I believe "On Writing" is an exception here, primarily because it deals so much with basics that get overlooked, but I think it holds true for the vast majority of how-to books.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

I tried as a teen to read a "How-To" book and it was full of stuff that didn't help me. I hated the exercises and the recommendations. (You must always keep a journal, blah, blah, blah. Yuck. Hate journalling.) So I quit reading and haven't picked up another one.

Most of what I learned about writing, I learned from reading and from being around other writers.

I love keeping a journal, but any how-to book with exercises is usually one I won't follow. I love good how-to books, but I think writing exercises are a waste of time.

There are tons of how-to books that don't say anything about keeping a journal, though I still think keeping a journal is one of the smartest things any writer can do, and tons of how-to books that do not tell a writer to do writing exercises.

Reaction score
I've never kept a diary longer than a few months. I don't want to write about myself. I want to write about other people. I can honestly say keeping a diary didn't help my writing one jot. All that teaches you is to look into yourself and while that can be useful when you're starting out on character development, it's also possible to sketch believable characters without having gazed at your own navel for a few years beforehand.

licity-lieu

drying and defragging...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.librarything.com
I've never done any writing exercises from how-to books. I have a book called 'Now Write' which devotes each chapter to a workshop style writing challenge. I've actually done some of those and found them very useful and engaging--which is unusual. Out of interest, has anyone ever done any of the 'Self Editing for Fiction Writers' exercises? I think they look good but something blocks me from giving them a go. Maybe it's the fact that the book contains the answers at the back!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never kept a diary longer than a few months. I don't want to write about myself. I want to write about other people. I can honestly say keeping a diary didn't help my writing one jot. All that teaches you is to look into yourself and while that can be useful when you're starting out on character development, it's also possible to sketch believable characters without having gazed at your own navel for a few years beforehand.

Try keeping a journal for ten years, and writing in it with absolute honestly. And keeping a journal should involve writing abut others as much, or more, than writing about yourself. If you really want to write about other people accurately, you first need to know yourself.

And a journal is really the only safe place there is to write about others with complete candor without getting yourself killed, or at least losing a lot of friends and family.

Reaction score
I'd rather use the time to write books. They're the closest thing to a diary I'll ever write - and they're much more fun. And their discovery wouldn't get me shot. ;)

Reaction score
Hell no...there's no full disclosure on my blog. It's censored.

If I wrote with 100% honesty, I'd spend more time writing my diary than I would my books...and like I said, they're the closest thing to a diary I'll ever write. There's bits of truth in all of them. But I'll never be more specific than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.