PDA

View Full Version : Calling all gardeners

mum23
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I am going to make a dramatic twist to my work. I need any info on typical garden plants that are lethel if eaten.
I know digitalis- foxglove, is poisonous but where do I find out how much of a dose would be lethel?
Thanks.

aadams73
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Five seconds at Google would have given you this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis)answer:

"The entire plant is a poison (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death."

mum23
07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
i did google it and found several. I know from working in a chemist digitalis is heart related so it is more the common one. Any potential murderers out there that have tried it in someones tea? lol.

There have been instances of people confusing digitalis with the harmless Symphytum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphytum) (comphrey) plant (which is often brewed into a tea) with fatal consequences. Other fatal accidents involve children drinking the water in a vase containing digitalis plants.

In performing a post mortem, can digitalis be detected or would it be assumed the ingerster (ie the person who drank/ate it) could have simply suffered a heart attack?

aadams73
07-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Any potential murderers out there that have tried it in someones tea? lol.

I've been tempted, but only when my mother-in-law comes to visit :D

In performing a post mortem, can digitalis be detected or would it be assumed the ingerster (ie the person who drank/ate it) could have simply suffered a heart attack?

Yes, it shows up in a toxicology screen.

mum23
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
yeah got that much too, wonder how often 'accidental poisoning' is overlooked as intentional?
Any case historys you know of?

ps. I'd probably give my mil some if we were speaking lol.

Birol
07-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm moving this over to Story Research.

waylander
07-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I am going to make a dramatic twist to my work. I need any info on typical garden plants that are lethel if eaten.
I know digitalis- foxglove, is poisonous but where do I find out how much of a dose would be lethel?
Thanks.

Laburnum seed pods are highly poisonous

Evaine
07-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I vaguely remember hearing about a child who died from eating a few laburnam seeds, when I was a kid myself - I certainly remember being warned off from touching the seeds.

Belladonna is poisonous, too. So are the fruits of the potato plant (which look a bit like green tomatoes).

I once knew a lady who divided her garden up into two halfs - one completely edible plants, and the other completely poisonous plants.

Kate Thornton
07-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I So are the fruits of the potato plant (which look a bit like green tomatoes).

All the greens of potatoes are poisonous. Don't eat the leaves!

One of my favorite reference books on poisons for stories is Deadly Doses: A Writers Guide to Poisons
http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Doses-Writers-Poisons-Howdunit/dp/0898793718

mum23
07-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys (sorry I posted in the wrong place) Think I'm going to go with digitalis as it is similar to the comfrey plant which you can make tea from. Hope it proves to be a painful death for my character. She deserves it lol.

Soccer Mom
07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Oleander is also highly poisonous and easy to obtain. All parts of the plant are poisonous. Why I could walk outside right now and cut a few branches....

mum23
07-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Oleander is also highly poisonous and easy to obtain. All parts of the plant are poisonous. Why I could walk outside right now and cut a few branches....

Ahh but is the temptation worth doing time for? lol

Soccer Mom
07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
You're assuming I would get caught?

In all seriousness, the trick to poisoning with digitalis is that you have to get the dosage just right. It's not necessarily fatal.

Another thing that is extremely poisonous....nicotine. Just remove the filters, grind up the contents of cigs and steep in water. Downside: very nasty flavor. It would be tough to get someone to ingest this.

Calla Lily
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Georgette Heyer poisoned someone with nicotine in one of her mysteries---darn, can't remember the title offhand. The villain injected it into a toothpaste tube. Over a few weeks (I think) the victim brushed enough into his mouth to croak--rather painfully.

Scrawler
07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Oleander. Remember "White Oleander"?

Stressed
07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Five seconds at Google would have given you this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis)answer:

"The entire plant is a poison (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death."

Any ideas as to how I can incorporate it into my future ex-husbandís next meal?! ;)

Soccer Mom
07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Georgette Heyer poisoned someone with nicotine in one of her mysteries---darn, can't remember the title offhand. The villain injected it into a toothpaste tube. Over a few weeks (I think) the victim brushed enough into his mouth to croak--rather painfully.

It's supposed to be an awful death. I'll look for this book. I have never actually handled a poisoning case, but they fascinate me. Such a stealthy way to commit murder!

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Where is this garden? And what season is it?

Carmy
07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Rhubarb! The leaves are posionous.