Calling all gardeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Five seconds at Google would have given you this answer:

"The entire plant is a poison (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death."

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
i did google it and found several. I know from working in a chemist digitalis is heart related so it is more the common one. Any potential murderers out there that have tried it in someones tea? lol.

There have been instances of people confusing digitalis with the harmless Symphytum (comphrey) plant (which is often brewed into a tea) with fatal consequences. Other fatal accidents involve children drinking the water in a vase containing digitalis plants.

In performing a post mortem, can digitalis be detected or would it be assumed the ingerster (ie the person who drank/ate it) could have simply suffered a heart attack?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Any potential murderers out there that have tried it in someones tea? lol.

I've been tempted, but only when my mother-in-law comes to visit :D

In performing a post mortem, can digitalis be detected or would it be assumed the ingerster (ie the person who drank/ate it) could have simply suffered a heart attack?

Yes, it shows up in a toxicology screen.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to make a dramatic twist to my work. I need any info on typical garden plants that are lethel if eaten.
I know digitalis- foxglove, is poisonous but where do I find out how much of a dose would be lethel?
Thanks.

Laburnum seed pods are highly poisonous

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I vaguely remember hearing about a child who died from eating a few laburnam seeds, when I was a kid myself - I certainly remember being warned off from touching the seeds.

Belladonna is poisonous, too. So are the fruits of the potato plant (which look a bit like green tomatoes).

I once knew a lady who divided her garden up into two halfs - one completely edible plants, and the other completely poisonous plants.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oleander is also highly poisonous and easy to obtain. All parts of the plant are poisonous. Why I could walk outside right now and cut a few branches....

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're assuming I would get caught?

In all seriousness, the trick to poisoning with digitalis is that you have to get the dosage just right. It's not necessarily fatal.

Another thing that is extremely poisonous....nicotine. Just remove the filters, grind up the contents of cigs and steep in water. Downside: very nasty flavor. It would be tough to get someone to ingest this.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Georgette Heyer poisoned someone with nicotine in one of her mysteries---darn, can't remember the title offhand. The villain injected it into a toothpaste tube. Over a few weeks (I think) the victim brushed enough into his mouth to croak--rather painfully.

Stressed

Registered
Reaction score
Five seconds at Google would have given you this answer:

"The entire plant is a poison (including the roots and seeds), although the leaves of the upper stem are particularly potent, with just a nibble being enough to potentially cause death."

Any ideas as to how I can incorporate it into my future ex-husband’s next meal?! ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Georgette Heyer poisoned someone with nicotine in one of her mysteries---darn, can't remember the title offhand. The villain injected it into a toothpaste tube. Over a few weeks (I think) the victim brushed enough into his mouth to croak--rather painfully.

It's supposed to be an awful death. I'll look for this book. I have never actually handled a poisoning case, but they fascinate me. Such a stealthy way to commit murder!

Status
Not open for further replies.