Serializing Novellas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arainsb123

I'm considering trying to serialize a novella I wrote. It's 23,000 words, so it's too short for book publishers and too long for most magazines, especially since I haven't been published before.

I've been writing a sequel to my novella, and I'm going to add it on as a part 2 when I'm finished, which will bring the novella up to at least 50,000-60,000 words. So here's my question: Is it possible to serialize my novella and then pursue publication of it combined with the part 2 in novel format? I read in the 2003 Writer's Market that this is a good idea but now that it's 2004 things could have changed so I need to know. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me! :)

Arisa81

I've written a novella myself.
I thought of turning it into a novel, but haven't gotten around to it...
I'm not sure what will work or not, I guess you'd have to do it and just give it a shot, you know.

Novellas do seem to be a tough sell themselves, I wish I new what to do with mine. Writing part 2 is an interesting thought. In your cover letter, you could explain to them what you've done and they can make the decision about how to format it I suppose.

Hope that someone else has a better suggestion for ya !

arainsb123

I'm going to submit it to Elysian Fiction. After three months I'm even allowed to publish it with other magazines, and they only take first electronic rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.