• Road Kill

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
So my mom found what she thought was a dead kitten on the side of the road. Then she realized it was breathing, barely. She picked up the small black bag of bones and the little creature responded by only opening its eyes for a second. She, being a sucker just like me, took the pathetic creature home. Soon, after much attention, it started to move but could not walk because it was so weak.

Here comes the good part. She, of course, can not have a cat in her apartment, the cat shelter wasn't taking on anymore cats, and animal control is putting 90+ cats asleep per day here. I told her I absolutely would NOT take it. That's how I ended up with both my dogs. . .poor little strays no one else wanted. I couldn't do it again, don't have the space or money to nurse another animal back to health just for it to become feisty and tear up my house. . .not again. But it needed food, so I'd swing by the store on my way and pick some up for it.

Then I saw this emaciated and injured little thing. It looks like something tried to eat him. His flesh is torn on the side and top of his face and the wound is too old for stitches now. So, yup, here I am the ultimate sucker, with this pathetic little black cat and vet bills I can't afford.

Anyway, if I'm going to be spending all this time and money on it, I need to know what name to curse every time a new vet bill arrives. Since it was dead (we thought) on the side of the road, we thought it might be funny to call it Road Kill. However, after all it has been through, maybe it deserves a more dignified name like the black panther (leopard) on Jungle Book, Bagheera.

So what do you think? Road Kill or Bagheera?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
If you go with Road Kill you can just call him "Roadie" for short.

or on second thought, Bagheera is a much better name.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Fred is not an option. That Rob, always stirring up trouble.

Trish I thought about calling him Roady, but I've also called him Baggy Bottom (close to what Jay said) a couple of times. I think my daughter is leaning toward Bagheera and my son, Road Kill.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for Bagheera. Do you have a PayPal account? I'd be glad to contribute a bit toward the kitty vet bills. PM me if you've got one. I'm a softy for rescued animals myself. (2 of my three dogs, all three of my cats, my rabbit, my goats and 2 of my horses are all rescues.)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I'd actually go with Lazarus myself, but between the options offered, I'd go with Bagheera. I think he deserves a dignified name for being alive.

Either that, or you could go with Goodyear.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
I vote for Bagheera. Do you have a PayPal account? I'd be glad to contribute a bit toward the kitty vet bills. PM me if you've got one. I'm a softy for rescued animals myself. (2 of my three dogs, all three of my cats, my rabbit, my goats and 2 of my horses are all rescues.)

I adopted a thousand head of cattle. I'll send you through the account number.

Os.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Soccermom, thanks. . .I didn't know there were such generous people here. You're actually not the first to offer, but I am sincerely impressed by your desire to help. My vet is letting me pay monthly payments instead of one lump sum.

Goodyear *shakes head* Bad, bad pconsidine

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
This pic doesn't really show the shape he's in. I really need a new camera. On the other side of his face, he has a big chunk of flesh missing, on his throat he has another wound, and on the top of his head, he has a group of scab/scars along with various scraps and cuts all over. I think he was almost dinner for some animal at one point.

If you look close, you can see his hip bones protruding in back.

The vet said he probably would have been dead by yesterday evening if my mom hadn't found him.

IMG_0033.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If I lived anywhere remotely near you I would come and take the cat in a heartbeat. I'm apparently the same kind of sucker you are. ;)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to say that the kitty should be named. . . .

Chop Suey?

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
We have a recently acquired cat who was chucked over our fence. He lost an eye and my husband insisted on calling him Winky.

*sigh*

He appears to be unable to meow, but purrs like a tractor, and no matter what we do to his fur, it always looks like he wants to be in a punk rock band.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bagheera! It shows strength.

How sweet!

Road Kill is just too long. Or you could call it RK for short. Then when someone asks you what it stands for you can toot your own horn, proudly of course.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Bagheera! It shows strength.

How sweet!

Road Kill is just too long. Or you could call it RK for short. Then when someone asks you what it stands for you can toot your own horn, proudly of course.

Actually combine all three : Bagheera Road Kill, and call him Burky for short.
Best of both worlds.

Good on ya for saving him...all eight of mine are rescues, so's the damn dog.

I have enough hair on my floors to spin into yarn....and to top it off one of our cats has to be on a special diet. Because we have so many, it's impossible to segregate during dinner and they all get the diet which is $33 for sixteen pounds. We end up spending more on their chow than ours.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you go with Road Kill you can just call him "Roadie" for short.

or on second thought, Bagheera is a much better name.

That's kinda what I thought.

Kill won't work cuz he ain't daid.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like his name is Bagheera.

Thanks for helping me decide (and we are keeping Road Kill as his middle name, but he'll never be humiliated by being called that in front of others :D).

Today he was actually able to jump up on my bed and he has lots more energy. He followed me all over the house like a little puppy when I was getting ready for work and he is just starting to meow occasionally. I felt so bad leaving him this morning because he tried to follow me out the door.

I know it took both my dogs (yup, both sick/injured strays no one else wanted) months to have their real personalities start shining through. . .I'm not sure how long it'll take Bagheera, but I'm thinking he'll adjust a bit quicker than they did.

Thanks again!

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
OK this is going to sound way sad and pathetic. I've always had pets and when I moved in with the ex he wasn't an animal person. Instead of getting me the kitty and puppy I longed for he got me a MAGNET of a kitten and a puppy. Being magnets, and thus flattened they were forever known as Road Kill (the cat) and Flat Puppy (yea, not so creative on that one...). They're still on my fridge even though I have my real life kitty, Petzl (named after the company that sells climbing/caving gear). So that's why I'm voting for Road Kill....RK for short.