The Great Chili Thread

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Okay, I love chili but I don't make it myself. I have heard tell that some of you out there make some that is legendary. I would love to see some of these great dishes written out here, so I can try making one. Rep points when they're written out and again once I make them and then again when I taste them. It's like chili, sometimes it revisits you after the fact. .....pardon.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I can't include my secret ingredient in the recipe, is that ok?

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
My husband makes amazing chili, but only when the weather's cold. And he doesn't have a recipe...you'd have to watch him to figure out what he does, because he says he doesn't remember what he uses until he gets going.

But I think that's what makes it so nummy...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I make terrific chili, if I do say so myself. I just made some last night and it was a big hit.

1 lb. high quality ground beef or buffalo
1 large onion chopped large-ish (sorry, no translations - my technical terms are my own)
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 packet McCormick's hot chili seasoning
1 heaping tsp. cocoa powder (I prefer dark, but regular will do)
2 Tbsp (at least) crushed hot peppers (The wet, jarred kind you buy in the aisle with the pickles)
1/3 can or bottle of beer
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1/2 cup catsup

Brown ground beef with next six ingredients. Then, add remainder and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil. Add more hot peppers, beer and catsup to desired taste and consistency. Reduce heat and simmer at least 90 minutes, stirring from time to time (at least an hour covered, then uncovered to desired soupiness.) Serve over brown rice with a side dish of fried plantains with hot sauce and the rest of that beer and you'll know what it's like to be me.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I just had some thawed chili today that I made a week or two ago. I've never cooked it scientifically, just need to balance proportions well.

Brown ground meat (turkey or beef), add onion and peppers (green, orange, red, hot, etc) to sweat, salt, season (chili powder, cumin, coriander, cocoa), add beans (kidney, pink, pinto, or black), add tomato (crushed from a can, whole from a can crushed by you, and/or fresh), and tomato paste to thicken, sugar to tone down acidity of tomatoes.

Had a discussion this weekend about soupy vs hearty chili - I prefer eating chili with a fork otherwise all the saucy flavory goodness runs off the solids.

Another big argument is what to serve it with. White rice? Cornbread? Home-fried tortillas? Or on top: guacamole? Sour cream? Cheese?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I am a guacamole enthusiast. I love the stuff - but always fresh made by me, none of that stoe crap that looks like green vomit.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I like hearty chili served over a grilled cheese sandwich. Sounds weird, but it works for me.

My imprecise chili recipe (I'm too lazy to write it out properly right now):
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
2-3 tbsp. chili powder or to taste (I use Penzey's chili powder)
1-2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper or 1-2 minced canned chipotles in adobo (the chipotle is my "secret ingredient")
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste (if you want it hotter)

Brown the ground beef, then add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions soften. Dump the rest of the ingredients in the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
OK, I just gots ta ask here.
What's with the cocoa powder? I've never heard of adding that to chili

I have used dark chocolate in several of my chilis.

The flavenoids in chocolate are somehow (a miracle, really) a direct harmonious link to the capascin in pepper. So the sweet blends perfectly with the hot.

In some of my hotter chilis, I use the dark chocolate to darken the color, and at the same time, cut some of the heat -- you get the flavor of the heat, but the chocolate cuts the burn.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I have enjoyed chocolate chip cookies immediately after chips and salsa - unbelievable combo.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I just gots ta ask here.
What's with the cocoa powder? I've never heard of adding that to chili
Chocolate -which is bitter in its natural state- is a critical ingredent in Mexican mole sauces, along with ground nuts, chiles and so forth. It adds a richness to chili when used judiciously. Great stuff!

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
My GF and I made our first pot of chili (for either of us), just yesterday... So, it's funny that this thread popped up.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone, I'll try some of these recipies out, have to admit, I prefer no beans. I grew up eating Frito Pie, you cut open a bag of fritos, pour in the chili, shredded cheese, chopped onions and jalepenos and then mixed it up with a spoon and ate it right out of the bag. Great stuff to wash down with a real cold glass bottled coke. That was a true Texas meal, may have to run to the store for some Fritos right now...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My "whatevs" chili

Add four cans (15 oz.) of kidney beans, drained, and four cans (15 oz.) plain tomato sauce to soup pot. Put on low heat to get things warming up. Brown 2 lb. ground beef and add to beans & sauce. Sautee 1 medium to large onion in beef drippin'. Add to soup pot. Turn heat up to medium then add your seasonings: black pepper, white pepper, chili powder, red/cayenne pepper. Don't worry about measuring; just sprinkle in whatever looks good. Add several dashes of Louisiana style hot sauce. Cook until small bubbles begin to form around the edges, stirring occasionally, then bring back to low and let simmer for a good two hours or so (remember to stir occasionally!). During final final fifteen minutes or so, add shredded Colby or medium sharp cheddar cheese. Stir in until melted. Serve with crackers and sour cream.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I have no recipe. Just a "target taste" that I'll know when I taste it. Thus that's why I call it a target taste.

Start with many fresh tomatoes and onions, some ground beef, some beans, the essential spices that give it that great chili taste, a huge pot, and several hours. I always pour a bit of beer in the chili and a bit more in the cook, but that comes later.

Low heat, patience, time for the flavors to express themselves and blend. I'm usually in and out of the kitchen for a quick stir every 20 minutes, all day long. With a taste test every time.

If you cook something like chili or Sicilian spaghetti sauce, and you have dogs in the house, they suffer. Oh God, it smells so good and they can't eat it! It's torture, I'm tellin ya.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
every recipe should start thusly;

1. put on rubber gloves