Requerying an agent, but not asked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I recently queried and agent (who repped my favorite book, so she's one of the best in my eyes) and she asked for a partial right away. I sent it and she responded quickly, saying she loved the premise and the writing and she thought the idea was perfect for my readership (yay) but that she found the characters to be a little boring and things my journal format is to blame...

I just finished up another revision of the manuscript and I realized that the first chapter, which was the partial, is really boring. Like, the characters have no personality. They're flat. I didn't realize it before, but I definitely see it now.

So I kind of want to requery the agent after deleting the whole first section. She didn't ask for a rewrite or anything, but would it be okay to write her a query saying that I'd queried before, agreed with her comments, and wanted to know if she'd have another look? Or is it a bad idea to requery the same work when not asked?

p.s. mods, I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so feel free to move it if it'd go better somewhere else.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
If the agent didn't ask for a rewrite or resubmission, chalk it up as a rejection. Move on.

Sorry but in this case and of course just my opinion I have to go along with Ray a hundred percent-unfortunate but probably the case.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agent

If you agree that the characters were boring, particularly in tech first chapter, then write her another letter, or send another e-mail, and tell you what you've done to correct things. The worst that can happen is that she'll say no.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
You've got nothing to lose following James's suggestion. And otherwise you've just got...nothing.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was waiting for a tie-breaker and Susan was it! haha

I'll make sure to have an amazingly perfect partial before querying again. Just in case...

THANKS!

P.S. Doing this wouldn't mean that it'd bar me from sending her other stuff in the future, right? I mean...would she be annoyed, do you think?

P.S.S. Barbarique: My first thought was that she was mistaken. But then I read the book from the last chapter to the first and it honestly just drops off with that first chapter. I never noticed before because the 4th chapter (which is a journal like the 1st) is a lot better, but she never saw that. So I'm thinking it might be okay if I delete that first chapter and just weave the information into the rest of the book...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
No, you won't be barred from submitting to her again. There is no set limit on how often you can query or submit to an agent, editor, publication, whatever.... Even if they tell you, "You can never submit here again," short of a court order, they can't prevent you from sending your work to them.

However, if they do tell you never to submit again, I probably would take that as a sign that they're not interested in representing/publishing you. ;)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be in any rush about resubmitting. Even when I've received suggestions for revisions, I've held off sending the revised ms to the interested agent. Why? Because in the meantime, I've sent the revised ms to other agents, and learned it still isn't right. So my advice is, make sure it's really perfect; don't go off half cocked.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agent

Trust me, any agent who would get mad at receiving a second query letter, especially one based on her own advice, is not an agent you want representing you. All you're doing by sending a second query is giving yourself, and her, a second chance. If she doesn't want to see the manuscript again, she'll just say no thanks, and no harm done to either of you.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James. I always worry about things like that for some reason...

After deleting the first chapter I realized that it was all fluff. I added maybe three sentences and they explained everything just fine. So I'm going to re-query and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone! Wish me luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.