Querying BEFORE the novel's done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolabohemian

Forgive me if this has been gone over before, but, given the speed at which most publishers and editors move, does it seem logical to anyone else to query before you've finished writing the novel? I mean, you know how it's going to end and how long it will probably take to get there. After you've got sample chapters smoothed out, why not?

It's just a thought, and maybe an idiotic one at that...

maestrowork

If you can finish (and polish) it by the time the agent/publisher asks for a complete ms, then why not? It's your risk to take.

cleoauthor

I personally think it's risky to query before the book is finished. It's true that it can take months for agents or publishers to get back to you, but then again, they can surprise you. I'm trying to peddle a book now, and I sent an email query out, and that very same day they asked me to email me the entire manuscript. Phew! Fortunately, it was finished so I was able to send it out immediately. Guess it's just a gamble you take.

veingloree

The benefit is findign a publisher sooner, the risk is finding one to soon and pssing them off. That's a pretty big risk. I may query while I am still finishing revising as that can be done pretty quickly if required -- but not before finishing writing.

HollyB

I agree that you should wait until the novel is done before you query. After I finished my second novel mss, I realized the first several chapters were unnecessary backstory, and needed to be cut. But I didn't *understand* that until the novel was finished. So, if I had queried first, and sent out 3 chapters and a synopsis, I'd have sent 3 chapters that were garbage...not the best way to attract an agent.

Jamesaritchie

query

Wait until the novel is finsihed. There's no reason not to wait. And just when you think agents and editors move slowly, they'll put on a burst of speed.

And the simple truth is that until you finish the novel you don't even know what you have to offer an agent or editor. Or even if you will finish it. Or how much it will change in that final polish.

The quickest way to find an agent or a publisher is to offer them a finished, polished, perfected novel.

James D Macdonald

You don't get a prize for getting the greatest number of rejections, or the fastest rejections. Why rush?

SFEley

There's also the consideration that they may not be as slow as you think. In my rounds of querying agents, I'm finding that it's typical to get a response back in a matter of weeks. (The first agent I queried responded within 2 hours -- I'd e-mailed him, and had a referral from a current client of his.)

It's reading the manuscript that can take a long time, after they've requested it and you've sent it. So you'd better be prepared when somebody asks.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

maestrowork

Oh yeah. 3-6 months for reading the ms. -- I was just told by an agent.

:grr

SRHowen

DAW--has had my ms by request (through my agent) since Sept 2003.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.