PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vomaxx
11-16-2004, 03:19 AM
A query to Curtis Brown Ltd. (in NYC, not England) resulted in a request to read my novel and a 1-month exclusive. The agent, Nathan Bransford, said that the agent I had actually written to at Curtis Brown had declined but passed my letter on to him.

As far as I can see, Curtis Brown is a very good agency, and the fact that Mr. Bransford is not listed on any directory I consult would mean merely that he is newly-joined. It seems very appropriate that an unknown author (me) might be passed on to a junior agent. I am flattered to have a positive answer.

However, getting a request for a full read on the basis of my query letter is a new experience--four other agents requested partials, and I have not heard more from any of them yet--and I just thought I'd ask if anyone had any information on Curtis Brown and/or Mr. Bransford.

Thanks.

spywriter
11-16-2004, 04:54 AM
When I queried this last time, (i am new too)I had two agents ask for the whole thing, two ask for first three, one ask for first 150 pages and one ask for first chapter. Clearly it varies from agency to agency.

All but one was a reputable agency...

callalily61
11-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Congrats!

(They just rejected me today. Oh, well...)

CaoPaux
08-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Does indeed seem to be a venerable agency, with Google references to going back to 1938. No web page, though. (Most agencies at this level donít.)

There is also a "Curtis Brown Ltd." in San Francisco, but I can't tell if it's a branch office or not. Anyone?

Spidercat
10-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones? I'm interested in submitting to one or the other since they both represent children's books, but I don't want to accidentally send two queries to the same agency. Curtis Brown Group Ltd is based in Europe and has an address in London. Curtis Brown Ltd. is based in New York, but I don't know if these are just seperate offices of the same overall agency.

Grey Malkin
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Pretty sure they're separate. I'm in the UK and emailed the US Curtis Brown about a year ago. I'm sure they told me they work independent to one another.

aruna
10-13-2005, 01:28 PM
They are definitely seperate. It says so on the UK website:
http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/contact_us.html

Seqkat
04-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know if Curtis Brown Ltd. and Curtis Brown Group Ltd are the same literary agency or two seperate ones?

That was a great question! I was confused with that too.

I've searched on Google, and it's hard to find good info. on this agency. Does anyone know if this is a good agency? Do they make a lot of sales?

Thank you, so much!

waylander
04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Top class agency.

Do the happy dance if they show interest in your work.

writermom
10-18-2006, 01:29 AM
QUESTION:

Did Ginger Clark change her name to Ginger Knowlton? That is how she is listed in the new Writer's Market. Is it a mistake?

waylander
10-18-2006, 01:44 AM
She is still listed as attending World FantasyCon as Ginger Clark

JennaGlatzer
10-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Writermom, I'm pretty sure those are two different people (Knowlton and Clark), but I've just written to Ginger Clark to make sure. I'll get back to you as soon as she responds.

She was here a couple of months ago... for anyone who missed the Q&A: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34123

JennaGlatzer
10-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Wow, now THAT was fast... :)

Dear Jenna:

This is the second time in a week this has come up--yes, there are two Gingers at Curtis Brown. We are entirely separate people. This is the first time in both of our careers where we are working in an office with another Ginger!

Thanks for asking, though.

Ginger

jkorzenko
10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Ginger Clark has a partial of mine. I took the risk of emailing my query, keeping it short and sweet as she hasn't decided whether or not she's going to like accepting email queries. Within a day, I had a response. We swapped a few emails about technicalities and exclusives, etc. She's very professional. The exclusive runs out next week so we'll see.

J.

writermom
10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

plugger
02-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Today, I submitted a query via email and heard back within an hour requesting the first chapter. We'll see.

plugger
02-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Oh well, got turned down, but with a nice note. All in one afternoon.

CaoPaux
02-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Just an FYI - Mr. Bransford is answering questions in our very own Ask the Agent forum, here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53863

Aprylwriter
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
I queried Nathan Bransford about two weeks ago. He requested to see a partial of my manuscript. It was rejected, but he was very nice and courteous and he assured me that I write very well and he thinks that I will get a literary agent. I'm happy about the response, even though it was a rejection slip.

Apryl

KellyG
02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I've heard of Curtis Brown if they're the English one. They're in my Writers and Artists Yearbook and seem really good with some real big name authors. Good luck y'all!

Sonarbabe
02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Nathan Bransford very nicely and very professinonally rejected me, but that's okay. What I was submitting was category, so I wasn't too surprised. I'd submit again with something else.

Prawn
05-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Bransford was very fast and professional. I got a rejection back on my e-mail sub in about two hours. He's on the ball.

Will Lavender
05-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Nathan Bransford is one of the kindest, classiest people in this business, in my opinion.

NiennaC
06-26-2007, 04:02 AM
How about Michele Beno? She turned up on an agent query search of mine as being an agent with CB, but I can't find much else about her.

NiennaC
06-28-2007, 04:50 AM
I may be impatient, but I'm still going to bump this thread in the hopes that someone knows something about Ms. Beno.

Moon Daughter
06-28-2007, 05:01 AM
I tried googling Michele Beno and the only thing I came up with is that she went to Curtis Brown after a stint with HarperColins (not sure what that's about) and that she's been a guest on many panels at conferences.

Sorry.

NiennaC
06-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks, that's all I was able to come up with, too. I'm hoping Curtis will get their site up soon and maybe they'll have more information on her. Do you think it's odd I can't find a mention of sales anywhere, or any mention of her beyond conferences? I'm just wondering.

Moon Daughter
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not really experienced in that area, so I can't really say for sure if it's good or bad. The only thing I could suggest is that you write to Michele and ask her yourself about what sales she's made since she's been with Curtis Brown. Also, maybe ask a client of hers (if you can find one) and ask them what their experience has been. I'm sure others will be able to answer much better than I can, but good luck anyways!

NiennaC
06-29-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm not really experienced in that area, so I can't really say for sure if it's good or bad. The only thing I could suggest is that you write to Michele and ask her yourself about what sales she's made since she's been with Curtis Brown. Also, maybe ask a client of hers (if you can find one) and ask them what their experience has been. I'm sure others will be able to answer much better than I can, but good luck anyways!

Thanks so much, I think I'll do that.

mysterygrl
06-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks, that's all I was able to come up with, too. I'm hoping Curtis will get their site up soon and maybe they'll have more information on her. Do you think it's odd I can't find a mention of sales anywhere, or any mention of her beyond conferences? I'm just wondering.

You mention that she had a stint at HarperCollins. My guess is, she was a former editor who switched to the agency side. Curtis Brown is a highly reputable agency. I wouldn't worry too much about the agent's lack of sales. She may be in the process of negotiating a lot of contracts right now if she recently joined CB. Since she was on the publishing side, she no doubt has excellent contacts.

If she shows interest in your ms, definitely ask about her sales. And if she offers representation, definitely talk with some of her clients. But those are things you'd do with any agent.

NiennaC
06-29-2007, 06:21 AM
She may be in the process of negotiating a lot of contracts right now if she recently joined CB.

You're right. Thanks. I hadn't thought about that.

reenkam
07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know Curtis Brown's policy on querying another agent there after one rejected you? It would be with a different manuscript.

NiennaC
07-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know Curtis Brown's policy on querying another agent there after one rejected you? It would be with a different manuscript.

I think with CB it's okay to query another agent, so long as the first has given you a rejection. I just think they don't like it when you have two queries out at the same time to two different agents. I also think it's especially okay if it's a different manuscript. I think you can even query the same agent you queried before if you send out a completely different manuscript.

LBW66
09-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Curtis Brown still doesn't have their website up and running. Anyone know what the submission guidlines are these days?
Thanks!
-Laura

waylander
09-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Which agent at CB?
I suggest you go to Agentquery.com and put Curtis Brown into their search field. That brings up a lot of CB agents, most of them seem to want a std snail mail query.

Soccer Mom
09-11-2007, 01:51 AM
It's really up to individual tastes at CB. Read agent query and their PM page for specifics on the agent.

brittanimae
10-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi all--

I'm looking for info on Elizabeth Harding of Curtis Brown. She has at least a couple of big name clients, including Jane Yolen. I'm interested in finding a more comprehensive client list, particularly who she represents in PBs and MG. Also does anyone work with her, know someone who works with her, know about her personality, likes, peeves, etc.?

As a sidebar--is Curtis Brown ever going to get their website up and running? It still says summer 2007--oops! Maybe I should ask Mr. Bransford.

Jimmer
10-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Elizabeth Harding is a wonderful person and a dream agent. She's a joy to work with and is incredibly professional.

Do anything you can to get her to sign you.

She's the best.

Jimmer

MsJudy
10-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Check in the Bewares and Backgrounds thread here for more info on different agents and publishers. I've found it VERY helpful!

wyntermoon
10-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Excellent suggestion, JudScotKev! I'll port this over now to Bewares and Backgrounds so the OP can get more response. :)

brittanimae
10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Sorry about that--there wasn't a thread on her there yet, and this forum seems to get more traffic. Thanks for moving me :).

batgirl
10-26-2007, 02:45 AM
Here's one (http://www.highlightingwriting.com/jenmcveity/Shadow_Seeker/Reviews_of_Shadow_Seeker/reviews_of_shadow_seeker.html) of her authors quoting her comments:
'The revised Shadow Seeker is simply marvellous, especially the mounting tension associated with the paper mill campaign. You've made it so exciting and dynamic and I think Tess is the stronger for it. I hope you are pleased.'
(Elizabeth Harding, my agent at, Curtis Brown in New York.)
Which makes her sound fairly encouraging and positive.

And here's an excerpt from an article on Lee Bennett Hopkins, where she's quoted:
"Lee knows everyone in children's publishing," Elizabeth Harding said. Harding is the vice president for Curtis Brown, Ltd. in New York City and has been Hopkins' agent for several years.

"If you walk around conferences with him, it takes a long time to go anywhere because people are coming up to him to chat, and it is hard to miss the posse of teachers and librarians who are such fans of his work," she said. "I was lucky enough to be invited to Lee's gorgeous home when I was on vacation in Boca Grande this past spring, and when my younger sister, who is a fourth grade teacher, heard that she had been included to join me at lunch, she was thrilled to meet "the" Lee Bennett Hopkins. It was quite the celebrity spotting for her."

Harding said that Hopkins is "totally devoted to poetry - writing, teaching, publishing and inspiring children and adults to love poetry."

"He isn't afraid to give you his opinion, he loves to nurture new talent, he is exce ptionally loyal, and he also has the best laugh of anyone I know," she said.
So she sounds nice, for what that's worth.
-Barbara

NiennaC
11-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Does anyone know, just in general, when that website of theirs is going to be up and running? I'm curious.

SJAB
11-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Confused??? Curtis Brown UK is up.

http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/

J. R. Tomlin
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, but CurtisBrown.com still is not.

NiennaC
11-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Yes, but CurtisBrown.com still is not.

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about, the .com one.

WebInFront
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Queried Ginger Clark at Curtis Brown, Ltd. and got a response (ahem *rejection*) in 23 days. Not a bad turnaround.

CaoPaux
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Just a reminder that the US agency is not affiliated with the UK one (they separated several years ago). Discussion of the UK entity is here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20360).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming already in progress.

crossword
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Anyone have any experience with Nathan Bransford of Curtis Brown Ltd.? Thanks a lot.

Calla Lily
01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Nathan Bransford is the epitome of class. He rejected a query of mine, gave me an idea for a different WIP and invited me to query him if I ever worked on it. Fast-forward about a year. I did start working on it. In the meantime, a different agent offered me representation. I contacted Nathan, told him the situation, he thanked me and asked me to submit the 1st 3 chapters of both books. He ended up saying "no, thanks" but in the most gentlemanly, encouraging way possible.

BTW, he also has a huge thread in the "askthe agent" forum. He's terrific.

CaoPaux
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
ETA: Since threads were merged, I'll switch links: Here's (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53863) the Ask the Agent thread. (Can you believe it's been a year already?!)

Spiny Norman
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Queried Nathan today, got a rejection in about two hours. He seems to be speedy and polite. Then again, I did slightly mess up my query letter... d'oh. So I'm not too surprised.

scriptor
01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Curtis Brown has rejected me as well as some of you all.. it was a nice and sincere letter though... very professional..

cygopi
02-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Nathan got in touch with me after another lit agent passed on a chapter of my book to him. I have never written fiction --- and I have to say that Nathan, who had never met me at that time, has been instrumental in convincing me that I had it in me. In the last three years, with his encouragement, I am now nearing the completion of a 35-chapter opus. He has read incomplete instalments, individual chapters, sketchy outlines, and just about anything else I sent him, and unfailingly responded in detail, with insight and warmth.

Why this man would take so much time with a writer he had never met and who lived an ocean away is still a mystery to me, but I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. At that time, I was living in Africa, and Nathan was in New York. I finally met him in New York, and had a drink at a bar that has historically been linked with writers. I signed a contract with Curtis Brown Ltd.

Let me say that Nathan is a 5-star literary agent, passionate about his work, very well read, an excellent critic, and if you're lucky enough to get his attention, you'll be the better for it ó even if your book never sees the light of day.

C. Y. Gopinath

Hopcus
02-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Wow, lucky you. Nathan is stellar (or so I've heard).

Popeyesays
02-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Curtis Brown is the agent thanked in Kim Harrison's novels: Dead Witch Walking, For a Few Demons More and the new one in the series Outlaw Demon Wails.

Her books are featured at the front counter by the registers at both OKC, Barnes and Nobles.

Regards,
Scott

katie05
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone heard of Katherine Fausset at Curtis Brown? I've seen some sales for her on Publishers Marketplace but mostly to independent presses. Does she deal primarily with independent presses? Does anyone know?

Mythica
03-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I definitely have a high opinion of Curtis Brown. Ginger Clark requested a partial from me within four days of my submission and she seems really nice. Very professional. I also love Nathan's blog. I check that every day!

jamiehall
03-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Just wanted to add, Ginger Clark just recently got someone here at AW (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97051).

Kasey Mackenzie
03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Actually, I believe Kim Harrison's agent is Richard Curtis of Richard Curtis Associates, not Curtis Brown. And as Jamie Hall was wonderful enough to mention, I did just sign with Ginger Clark. I'm still somewhat in shock, honestly. ;)

Curtis Brown is the agent thanked in Kim Harrison's novels: Dead Witch Walking, For a Few Demons More and the new one in the series Outlaw Demon Wails.

Her books are featured at the front counter by the registers at both OKC, Barnes and Nobles.

Regards,
Scott

beachbabe
05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I was asked to submit a partial to Maureen Walters exclusively. What do you think?

Mr. Anonymous
08-13-2008, 01:04 AM
An agent named Dorie Simmonds ultimately rejected me but recommended I try Ginger at Curtis Brown. I shot her a query, she responded very fast with a partial request. The waiting is killing me. Been around 5 weeks or so since I sent it off, which is right around what she says her response time is on PM. If I don't hear back in a a couple weeks, I think I'll ask if she got it all right.

hootie
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I am trying to get more info on Maureen Walters, who requested a partial on exclusive from me. Her profile on AQ does not give much insight and CB has no website! Can anyone report on their dealings with her? Thanks in advance!

kristi26
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I am trying to get more info on Maureen Walters, who requested a partial on exclusive from me. Her profile on AQ does not give much insight and CB has no website! Can anyone report on their dealings with her? Thanks in advance!

You can see her Publisher's Marketplace page here: http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/mawalters/

Her Query Tracker Page here:

http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=84

And her listing on P & E here:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm

The simple fact that she's with such a well known and well established agency would make me jump at the chance to submit anything to her. Good luck!

hootie
08-14-2008, 09:49 PM
You can see her Publisher's Marketplace page here: http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/mawalters/

Her Query Tracker Page here:

http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=84

And her listing on P & E here:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm

The simple fact that she's with such a well known and well established agency would make me jump at the chance to submit anything to her. Good luck!

thanks, Kristi!

vixey
08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Now that this agency has resurfaced in the posts, has anyone ever queried Laura Blake Peterson? I snailed a query to her on June 23 but haven't heard anything.

hootie
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Now that this agency has resurfaced in the posts, has anyone ever queried Laura Blake Peterson? I snailed a query to her on June 23 but haven't heard anything.

yes, I queried her via snail mail on 3/11/08 and got a snail mail no on 3/28. Waited a few months, than snail queried Maureen Walters on 6/9/08 and got the request for a partial 6/11/08. Still waiting to hear on the partial, but the response time of both CB agents to the initial query was really fast!

vixey
08-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Hootie - Thanks for the turnaround info! I figure I'll wait until September when everyone's back from vacation and maybe resend to another agent. Fingers crossed for you on the partial!

clara bow
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
than snail queried Maureen Walters on 6/9/08 and got the request for a partial 6/11/08. Still waiting to hear on the partial, but the response time of both CB agents to the initial query was really fast!

Maureen Walters responded to my partial (a pass) at the six week mark, fwiw.

scully931
09-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences with Elizabeth Harding at Curtis Brown. She has a partial exclusive of mine. It's been about a month and a half and I'm just wondering what her normal turnaround time is. :)

JenWriter
09-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow, scully. She's top-notch. Good luck!

scully931
09-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, scully. She's top-notch. Good luck!

Thanks! Of course, doesn't mean she'll like it. :D

shameless
09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks! Of course, doesn't mean she'll like it. :D

Good luck! You won't find a more professional agency, regardless of which agent.

hootie
09-26-2008, 05:02 AM
What's the scoop on nathan? He sounds very knowedgable and experienced on his blog, but he does not have many client books listed and PM shows only 3 sales in 2 years. I know he's young....is a sparse track record to be expected?

CaoPaux
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
There's more listed on his AQ page (http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=828). Feel free to post questions for him down in the Ask the Agent forum, too.

Stlight
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
In case you're interested, email query to N. Bransford turn around 24 hours. Nice reject.

Leukman
10-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Oh, Ginger! eQueryied on 10-2, she requested a partial on 10-7. Now counting the days. My fingernails are gone so I've started on my feet.:ROFL:

AnneAtWordHustler
10-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Good luck Leukman!!! Curtis Brown is TOPS. :)

Oh and just to add to the Nathan Bransford convo: he has a GREAT blog here:

http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/

shameless
10-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Oh, Ginger! eQueryied on 10-2, she requested a partial on 10-7. Now counting the days. My fingernails are gone so I've started on my feet.:ROFL:

Good luck!! I've heard great things about Ginger. I just signed with Maureen Walters, and I couldn't be happier!! :D

katrina_wooooo
10-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Good luck!

SusanH
10-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Bransford was very fast and professional. I got a rejection back on my e-mail sub in about two hours. He's on the ball.

Me too. I gave it a shot and his quick but nice rejection has just urged me on. He said he didn't think he was the best agent to represent me. I wrote a memior and I know he is right, but I tried anyway..I will get published....just finding the right one.......

emandem
10-28-2008, 06:03 PM
I could use some input... Eight weeks ago (when I was still a little ignorant) I called Curtis Brown NY on the phone (b/c I couldn't get their website up) to ask what their submission requirements were. They told me what to send, but also told me NOT to address my query, etc. to any particular agent b/c they like to decide which agent should read it!

Well, it's been eight weeks and I haven't heard a reply from my query, and I've been reading other posts that say to ALWAYS address queries to a specific agent! Do you think that b/c I wasn't specific they would "throw it out" or not respond? Am I being paranoid? There's really no way to "status query," as they don't accept email.

Leukman
10-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I could use some input... Eight weeks ago (when I was still a little ignorant) I called Curtis Brown NY on the phone (b/c I couldn't get their website up) to ask what their submission requirements were. They told me what to send, but also told me NOT to address my query, etc. to any particular agent b/c they like to decide which agent should read it!

Well, it's been eight weeks and I haven't heard a reply from my query, and I've been reading other posts that say to ALWAYS address queries to a specific agent! Do you think that b/c I wasn't specific they would "throw it out" or not respond? Am I being paranoid? There's really no way to "status query," as they don't accept email.

My guess - your response will take much longer because now someone has to decide who should read your query first, then the "normal" wait for the query response from whoever it was passed to.

I believe you should always address to a specific agent, even if told it's not needed. Targeting a specific agent demonstrates (hopefully) that you've done some homework in an attempt to identify which agent at the agency would likely be a good fit for your material. And if they really like to "decide" on their own, then if the agent you target doesn't feel interested, maybe they'd pass it on to another who might.

emandem
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the quick input...I guess I'll just bite my nails a little longer.

SusanH
10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I have been finding if they DON'T like your query, you'll get an immediate response. I have been rejected so far 11 times and they all came back within a couple of days. Feel good...they probably like it but trying to decide who to give it to. I sent mine to one particular agent in Curtis Brown and was rejected very nicely the next day. I often wondered why he didn't pass it on to one of the others. Maybe if I send it to Curtis Brown main they will find the right one. Hang in there.....

LaurieD
10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
So I shouldn't be assuming they hated my work so much they decided to forgo the rejection letter?

I sent a PB ms to Elizabeth Harding 10/7/08 and have yet to hear from anyone at Curtis Brown...

SusanH
10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
No, I don't think they would do that, after reading Nathan Bransford's blog. It possibly may be making the rounds through the agents. Keep positive thoughts.

LaurieD
10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks
^_^ (thinking positive thoughts.....)

Kasey Mackenzie
10-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Just FYI, I would check out individual Curtis Brown agents on Agent Query and/or Publishers Marketplace to see whether they accept email queries or not. My agent, Ginger Clark, does--although she only responds to projects she is interested in. I'm pretty sure Nathan Bransford also accepts email queries. I think it's generally a safer bet to check out the individual agents on Agent Query and/or Publishers Marketplace in order to get an idea of what they specifically accept, in addition to checking out the websites of those agencies who have them.

Good luck to all!

emandem
10-29-2008, 03:45 AM
Thanks Kasey... Like I said, I was a little ignorant then, and I guess I could have looked at Agent Query specifically, although, after I called Curtis Brown (and they told me to use snail mail and not put an agent's name on it), I was afraid to not follow "the rules."

I may never know now, since I didn't address it to a particular agent, whether it got delegated to someone who practices "no response" replies vs an agent who gets back to authors over a much longer time frame...(sigh)

Congratulations on having Ginger Clark as your agent--I think I read on another thread that you're looking at some promising propositions!? (smile) That's the best! Maybe one day I'll be able to say the same.

Leukman
10-29-2008, 05:21 AM
OH yah! Kasey, what is the good word? Any update on you Birthday Good News?????

CharlieBabbitt
11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
LaurieD -- I submitted to Elizabeth Harding on Aug 7 and she rejected me Sep 10 -- all via snail mail (so about 5 weeks). She wrote some nice comments on their standard rejection card and I really appreciated that...

Prawn
11-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi! If I send a query but don't hear back, how long do you think I should wait before querying someone else at CB? They don't have any info out there on simultaneous subs. How does a month or two sound?

emandem
11-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Prawn, when I called to find out their submission requirements they told me to give my query 6-8 weeks. Of course they also told me not to address it to a specific agent! Sooo, I'm guessing their "longest" agent takes at least 6-8 weeks. Therefore I'd give it at least two months.

Unfortunately, I'm now going on 9 weeks (sigh). You can always check QueryTracker for the individual agents' response times... Good luck!

scully931
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
LaurieD -- I submitted to Elizabeth Harding on Aug 7 and she rejected me Sep 10 -- all via snail mail (so about 5 weeks). She wrote some nice comments on their standard rejection card and I really appreciated that...

On your query, partial or full?
I like details. :D

CharlieBabbitt
11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Scully -- I submitted a Query + first 2 chapters. She said she was intrigued by the original plot and storytelling but didn't connect enough with my MC to want to read more. Encouraged me to reach out to other agents and all that. Very nice.

PVish
11-10-2008, 05:23 AM
I submitted a query and two chapters via snail mail to a specific agent in early October. Her assistant e-mailed me about five days later to request a full for a 4-week exclusive read (which will be up in a week). I haven't heard anything back yet.

rebobinar
11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Congratulations PVish - that sounds encouraging!

PVish
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Congratulations PVish - that sounds encouraging!

Thanks, Reboninar! I only recently started the query process.

One thing, the agent's assistant did tell me what to write on the envelope to ensure they knew that my manuscript was requested.

Edited to add: I received a form rejection six weeks later.

Leukman
12-23-2008, 03:49 AM
I just got a great letter from Ginger Clark - my first official rejection! :e2woo:

Yes, damn it, that's good news. I've had four friggin mss out there for what feels like an eternity, and I finally got a response!

Okay, okay, I should be bummed, but hell, you all know as well as I that I can't let that happen. There's got to be a positive in this (just look at Cray's new battery).

Come on Trident/Scott Miller. Everybody think positive for Christmas! :e2headban

SusanH
12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I haven't queried him yet....makes me not want to.....but I guess I will....

bocabum
12-29-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure if this thread fits in here, but was wondering...

I e-queried Ginger Clark, of Curtis Brown Ltd. about a month and a half ago, and have yet to receive a response. I was just reading her write up on Publisher's Marketplace, and read that she only responds with requests, and if you don't hear from her within 10 days, consider it a no.

Just wondering, since it's been a month and a half, is it ok, say mid-January, to submit to another agent in that agency?? Or is that too soon??

vixey
12-29-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure if this thread fits in here, but was wondering...

I e-queried Ginger Clark, of Curtis Brown Ltd. about a month and a half ago, and have yet to receive a response. I was just reading her write up on Publisher's Marketplace, and read that she only responds with requests, and if you don't hear from her within 10 days, consider it a no.

Just wondering, since it's been a month and a half, is it ok, say mid-January, to submit to another agent in that agency?? Or is that too soon??

You'll likely find the info you're looking for here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714&highlight=curtis+brown). Good luck!

astonwest
12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
The general consensus (from what I've been able to glean) is that you submit to the one agent in an agency who seems the best fit for your work, and don't submit to another in the agency when the first rejects it (or doesn't respond, as in this case).

Agents in an agency generally will pass along work that they think would be suitable for another agent they work with.

caromora
12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
From Nathan Bransford's blog (http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/2007/11/when-in-doubt-query-me.html):

You can query agents at the same agency, but only one at a time and you should probably wait a couple of months in between.

I've queried a few agents at Curtis Brown and gotten rejected by some and requests from the others.

astonwest
12-29-2008, 05:02 PM
As happens a lot in this business, different strokes for different folks...

From Bookends, LLC (http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2007/10/what-we-represent.html):

We prefer that if you query any BookEnds agent with a project you do not query anyone else within the agency with that same project. Even after it's been rejected. Many, many times I forward projects on to Kim and Jacky if I think they would be more appropriate for it. However, if you've queried me, been rejected by me, but on your next book feel that either Kim or Jacky would be a better fit go ahead and send that new book to one of them.

I'll have to remember that about Curtis Brown, though...

Kasey Mackenzie
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
As happens a lot in this business, different strokes for different folks...

I'll have to remember that about Curtis Brown, though...

Yes--it definitely depends upon the agency. Typically speaking, the larger agencies are more likely to allow querying more than one agent--but you shouldn't query them simultaneously. The best bet is to try and research each agency to see what their policy is. If you can't find anything specific on their website, I would try and see if you can find any online interviews to try and get a feel for how the agency works. A lot of the smaller agencies tend to pass things on to other agents they work with, or talk about potential projects at meetings.

LizPage
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi guys,

Anyone have wait times on a partial for Elizabeth Harding?

Thanks!

bocabum
01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has e-queried Maureen Walters, from Curtis Brown Ltd.?? It states that she doesn't accept e-queries, but then on Publisher's Marketplace, it says that you can, you just won't get a response if she's not interested.

And if any of you have e-queried her, what e-mail address did you use, b/c Publisher's Marketplace has a different addy listed from querytracker.net!

CaoPaux
01-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Barring an official website, I'd go with what's on her PM page (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/mawalters/) over third-party sources (with the possible exception of AQ (http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=95)), since PM pages are maintained by the agent and/or the agency. Looking at both, I'd say you're better off doing a snail-mail query.

zoetman
02-02-2009, 12:04 AM
nathan bransford has a great blog too!

Cyia
02-28-2009, 04:50 AM
I have two possibly stupid questions.

1. The Curtis Brown office NB works out of is the Same CurtisBrown agency as Ginger Clark, only in a different city... right?

2. What do you do if an agent asks for an exclusive read on a MS, but the MS is already out with other agents who requested it non-exclusively?

lm728
02-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi guys,

Anyone have wait times on a partial for Elizabeth Harding?

Thanks!

Two months is what I waited for my partial--first fifty pages sent via mail. By the way, she's like the VP of the whole CBLTD agency.

Not just a little junior agent.

Anyways, she sent back a lovely personalized rejection about how my voice was perfectly targeted to my audience but the plotline was familiar. She also encouraged me to resubmit any other projects.

Pretty good, since at the time, I just turned thirteen years old.

(Now I'm 13 and 10 months).

SusanH
02-28-2009, 04:58 AM

1. The Curtis Brown office NB works out of is the Same CurtisBrown agency as Ginger Clark, only in a different city... right?

2. What do you do if an agent asks for an exclusive read on a MS, but the MS is already out with other agents who requested it non-exclusively?

Just let them know that others have a full ms already....may make them look at it a little harder if others are looking at it too then hope for the best.....

Red.Ink.Rain
02-28-2009, 05:19 AM
Two months is what I waited for my partial--first fifty pages sent via mail. By the way, she's like the VP of the whole CBLTD agency.

Anyways, she sent back a lovely personalized rejection about how my voice was perfectly targeted to my audience but the plotline was familiar. She also encouraged me to resubmit any other projects.

Tilt, I have one thing to say to you.

DAMN.

Can I have your autograph now? So that when you're the youngest bestselling author of the 21st century I can brag about it?

CaoPaux
02-28-2009, 06:09 AM

1. The Curtis Brown office NB works out of is the Same CurtisBrown agency as Ginger Clark, only in a different city... right?Yep, Nathan's West Coast, Ginger's East coast.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/GClark/
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/nbransford/

2. What do you do if an agent asks for an exclusive read on a MS, but the MS is already out with other agents who requested it non-exclusively?Tell 'em it's already out, and ask if they'll accept it anyway. If they don't, they'll have to wait until you hear back from everyone else.

lm728
02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Tilt, I have one thing to say to you.

DAMN.

Can I have your autograph now? So that when you're the youngest bestselling author of the 21st century I can brag about it?

Ahahaha. You're a Twiftie, too. So we're on even footing. Heck, you might even have an advantage over me (what is that I see? 3 agents with fulls??? That's crazy). Swap autographs? lol

Red.Ink.Rain
03-01-2009, 01:19 AM
See, but I'm already old - nineteen in a month. I've got nothing and you and your uber-talentedness.

mysterygrl
03-01-2009, 01:30 AM
What do you do if an agent asks for an exclusive read on a MS, but the MS is already out with other agents who requested it non-exclusively?

I was formerly repped by an agent at Curtis Brown. She requested an exclusive on my full, but I had other partials and fulls out, which I explained to her. She said to go ahead and send the full anyway. Agents understand that we're querying others.

Blondchen
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Here's an interview with the fabulous Ginger Clark (http://gretchenmcneil.blogspot.com/2009/03/interview-with-ginger-clark-literary.html) where she discusses genre, trends and the current state of the publishing industry.

Shamrockgreen
03-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Completely and totally impressed with you.

frustratedguy
03-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Has anyone had dealings with Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown?

Blondchen
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
New Curtis Brown website is live! http://www.curtisbrown.com/

Exir
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Darn, Blondchen, I almost thought it was an April Fool's joke! (Cause Curtis Brown's website's always a blank page)

Blondchen
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, you can't help but think they launched it today on purpose.

neener
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Has anyone ever queried Ginger Knowlton @ Curtis Brown? I got a response from her assistant today requesting an exclusive read on a partial--which I can't do because I have 2 fulls out right now. I emailed her assistant telling her I couldn't do the exclusive thing, and she said to send it if the other agents weren't interested (in other words, they just want an exclusive, not interested otherwise). Anyone had any dealings with her? I'm trying to figure out how much weight to give her interest...

emandem
04-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I submitted to Ginger Knowlton...She requested an exclusive partial which I could not grant--- but then she went ahead and accepted the submission anyway. Later, she rejected the whole thing with a very professional, polite note.

Interestingly, twice in the past month, I have had other agents ask for exclusivity (which I couldn't grant) but I offered to send the manuscript anyway and let them know if I was offered representation by someone else. I was surprised when they both did a 180 and refused to see more, which I find strange. Of course, everyone queries multiple agents. It is very difficult to grant exclusives. How many times do you expect that only ONE agent is going to be looking at some of your material??? I hope this is not a growing trend... and I refuse to lie to an agent and say no one else is looking. I swear, I'll never fully understand this market...It is very frustrating.

neener
04-07-2009, 06:33 AM
I submitted to Ginger Knowlton...She requested an exclusive partial which I could not grant--- but then she went ahead and accepted the submission anyway. Later, she rejected the whole thing with a very professional, polite note.

Interestingly, twice in the past month, I have had other agents ask for exclusivity (which I couldn't grant) but I offered to send the manuscript anyway and let them know if I was offered representation by someone else. I was surprised when they both did a 180 and refused to see more, which I find strange. Of course, everyone queries multiple agents. It is very difficult to grant exclusives. How many times do you expect that only ONE agent is going to be looking at some of your material??? I hope this is not a growing trend... and I refuse to lie to an agent and say no one else is looking. I swear, I'll never fully understand this market...It is very frustrating.

Exactly! Good grief--the whole exclusive thing is kind of ridiculous from my standpoint. I did offer to send the material anyway, but they refused and said to send it if I could grant an exclusive at some point. I just don't see what's in it for me to give an exclusive. It would take ten years to go through the number of agents it often takes to query successfully if you did each one at a time.

TereLiz
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Queried Ginger on the 5th, got a partial request on the 11th. Sent her the first fifty pages the same day.

I don't know why, but she really resonates with me as an agent. I would consider myself very lucky to have her request the full.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from her soon.

YukonMike
05-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Good luck Tereliz!

Curtis Brown is an amazing agency.

TereLiz
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Good luck Tereliz!

Curtis Brown is an amazing agency.

Thanks! Ginger is actually my #1 choice right now, so I hope she likes my first 50 enough to ask for more.

I know she is "no interest/no response" type of agent, but AFAIK that is for queries, not partials. Anyone know about how long she takes to respond to a partial? More importantly, does she typically respond to partials that she rejects, or is it, "no interest/no response"?

I understand that she is a busy woman, but I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

fairy86
05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks! Ginger is actually my #1 choice right now, so I hope she likes my first 50 enough to ask for more.

I know she is "no interest/no response" type of agent, but AFAIK that is for queries, not partials. Anyone know about how long she takes to respond to a partial? More importantly, does she typically respond to partials that she rejects, or is it, "no interest/no response"?

I understand that she is a busy woman, but I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

I sent her a 50 page partial on May 9th. I'm biting my fingernails hoping she'll request the full. I've got two fulls from partials out right now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Blondchen
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks in advance.

I sent her a 50 page partial on May 9th. I'm biting my fingernails hoping she'll request the full. I've got two fulls from partials out right now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Ginger will absolutely respond to your partials and fulls and she's pretty good to her word (if she says 4-6 weeks, she means just that.) I know she's swamped with BEA coming up, but you will most definitely hear back from her one way or another.

TereLiz
05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks, fairy86, I will keep my fingers crossed for you, too!

And Blondchen, thanks for the speedy and reassuring answer. I was a little worried because I am an over-analyzer. I keep reading the request where she asked me to send the first 50 pages electronically. I attached a Word file to a short email, but didn't hear back with a read time or anything. Keep in mind I've been torturing myself thinking, "did she mean for me to paste it into the body of an email?" and "oh, I have a typo in the first five pages!" so I haven't been thinking really clearly lately.

Blondchen, good luck on the editorial submission process. I'd love to hear about any experiences you'd like to share.

Thanks again, ladies!

spinspin
05-21-2009, 03:19 AM
To ease your discomfort-- twice in the last week when I've had electronic requests, I reply "Attached please find my file..." and then "Would you mind confirming that you've received the file? I had trouble with a large file in the past."

Both agents were happy to reply "got it!" and it put my mind at ease.

Spsp

Erin
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Ginger C. took 2 months to reject both my requested partials, the most recent one received 4/19.

fairy86
05-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks Blonchen, Erin and Spin Spin.
I'm so nervous, I'll be bouncing on the edge of my seat for the next month or so.

still alive
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry to be about 9 months late asking about CB, but I've checked on several sites to find out what they want included in a submission. And how to submit.

So far it's all over the board. I know Nathan B's requirements-is there anyone writing who doesn't?:) But I'm particularly interested in Katherine Fausset.

Several agent sites say she doesn't take email queries; her CB site says she does! CB says to submit a letter, synopsis (OUCH!), chapter, and resume.

NB says he avoids synopses, but I think I'm a better fit with Katherine F.

Anyone have the real "skinny" on what's what and how-to?

Thanks,
still alive

Erin
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth, CB's website went live early April, so I'd tend to think it's fairly current. I have Katherine on my list as taking email queries also.

CaoPaux
06-02-2009, 07:20 PM
When in doubt, go by the agent's site. It's also good to have a line in your query like "Per the guidelines on your site,...", so they'll know where you're coming from, so to speak.

still alive
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Erin and CaoPaux,

Now I guess I have to write a synopsis! Ugh. And I'm still in the dark about attach or no attach. I'm not sure my cf%#* email can handle a whole chapter pasted in.

Can either of you or anyone offer hints on how to write a synopsis? I know dbl space, two to five pggs., present tense but how to break the book down? By chapters--not literally but in summarizing? A few lines from each? Any *easy* way??

Still Alive

shawkins
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks, Erin and CaoPaux,

Now I guess I have to write a synopsis! Ugh. And I'm still in the dark about attach or no attach. I'm not sure my cf%#* email can handle a whole chapter pasted in.

Can either of you or anyone offer hints on how to write a synopsis? I know dbl space, two to five pggs., present tense but how to break the book down? By chapters--not literally but in summarizing? A few lines from each? Any *easy* way??

Still Alive

Almost without exception, agents will not open attachments.

As far as synopsis:

1. Keep it as short as possible. Under two full pages is best.

2. I *think* synopses are generally single spaced.

3. There is no easy way. Synopses are a total bear to write. My thinking is that your best bet is to keep the content of the synopsis action oriented--don't spend too much with characterization or setting. Short, declarative sentences--"Grief stricken at the death of A, X did Y". I've had good luck with that approach, at any rate.

4. Maybe track down an example of someone else's synopsis that generated a request for partial or full and model it after that one?

5. Personally, I wouldn't explicitly organize the synopsis by chapters. Doing so eats up a lot of your available space. So, like,

Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah.

Following blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah.
instead of

Chapter 1 - The Blah of Blah

Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah.

Chapter 2 - Blah sets out

Following blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah. Blah, blahing the blah of blah.

still alive
06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
shawkins--I hope you won't be offended if I don't plagarize your amazing blah, blah synopsis!:) I don't think it will fit in with the ambiance in my novel, but I wish you much luck with placing it, etc. etc.

You shot me down! My novel is rife with characters and setting!
still alive

Tburger
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Quick question: I know Nathan Bransford accepts queries for science fiction, but I can't find any SF books that he has repped. Does anyone know of any adult SF examples? Thanks!

OL
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Tburger, I don't know of any, but I do know Nathan and he is basically looking for good books. He's my agent, and I couldn't be happier with our working relationship. He's a great guy to have in your corner.

My book is quirky, literary suspense, BTW.

Hope this helps!

snowflake24
07-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to this, so I'm really sorry if my question has already been discussed. I skimmed through the older posts and didn't see that it has been. Anyway, my question is in regards to Ginger Clark's submission guidelines. The submission guidelines on the Curtis Brown website say to send a query letter along with a synopsis and a sample chapter. However, since there are no specifics listed for her on that website, I went to her site on Publishers Marketplace, and she just has requirements for how to submit to her, not what to submit to her. Does anyone have any experience with querying her? Should I just follow the guidelines on the Curtis Brown website? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ms.rachel
07-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Snowflake24,

this: http://www.litmatch.net/Literary-Agent-Info.asp?agent_id=407
should answer your question.

snowflake24
07-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Thank you, Ms.rachel.

Epiphany
07-10-2009, 01:51 AM
I sent a query to Ginger Clark at the beginning of May and have not heard a response back from her. Would it be safe to assume this is a no go? The only reason why I ask is because I want to submit to Nathan Bransford.

eveningstar
07-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Epiphany, I sent her a query in mid-June and I know she mentioned on Twitter at the end of June that her query inbox was empty, so I figured mine was included in that.

I think her general policy is 10-day turnaround, response only if interested. I think you're safe to query Nathan. Good luck!

Epiphany
07-10-2009, 03:26 AM
Epiphany, I sent her a query in mid-June and I know she mentioned on Twitter at the end of June that her query inbox was empty, so I figured mine was included in that.

I think her general policy is 10-day turnaround, response only if interested. I think you're safe to query Nathan. Good luck!

Thank you eveningstar!

Khazarkhum
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Queried Nathan today.

Khazarkhum
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
And a nice quick R. I figured it was a longshot!

Rowan
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
And a nice quick R. I figured it was a longshot!

I just got the big R from him too, Khazarkhum! :tongue He responded within 24 hours as promised though.
[love the poodle in your avatar, btw]

a.vij
07-18-2009, 11:07 AM
So far it's all over the board. I know Nathan B's requirements-is there anyone writing who doesn't?:) But I'm particularly interested in Katherine Fausset.

Several agent sites say she doesn't take email queries; her CB site says she does! CB says to submit a letter, synopsis (OUCH!), chapter, and resume.

NB says he avoids synopses, but I think I'm a better fit with Katherine F.

Anyone have the real "skinny" on what's what and how-to?

sorry to be a month late in answering, but in case you were too lazy to write out a synopsis, this might still help: i sent her a standalone email query last week (no synopsis, no sample chapters, no resume) and received a request for a full yesterday. fingers crossed!!

Kasey Mackenzie
07-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I sent a query to Ginger Clark at the beginning of May and have not heard a response back from her. Would it be safe to assume this is a no go? The only reason why I ask is because I want to submit to Nathan Bransford.

If it was an e-query, Ginger only responds to those she is interested in.

AnnieGrant
07-31-2009, 05:30 AM
So...I'm a bit nervous. From everything I read, Nathan Bransford responds to queries relatively quickly. Are there any out there who waited longer than six minutes (or whatever the internet stories are) to hear from him? A week perhaps?

I hate to get antsy so soon, I really wanted to get my feet wet and get that first response from an agent. Now I'm compulsively checking the "Sent" folder to make sure I sent it to the right address and didn't inadvertently insult the man.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Alphabeter
07-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Relax.

If it is supposed to happen with Nathan, it will--in its own time.

Turn off the computer.
Go outside.
Walk around the block and think of everything else in your life besides writing.

Then have an apple.

brimfire
07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Six days does seem a bit long for Nathan, but not for every other agent in the universe. I know it's hard to wait, but I still wouldn't follow up with a query to him for at least a month.

phoenix
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I saw this question earlier, but didn't see any response, so thought I'd try again. Anyone here have any dealings with Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown?

CaoPaux
08-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I saw this question earlier, but didn't see any response, so thought I'd try again. Anyone here have any dealings with Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown?No personal dealings. Here's his AQ page (http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=327), FWIW. He has lots more (and more recent) sales than listed.

phoenix
08-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Thank you, CaoPaux.

RoseColoredSkies
08-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Just wanted to drop in and give my current stats. I queried Ginger on 8/7 and got a request for first 50 pages today (8/17). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Laura Lond
08-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I queried Ginger on April 23, never heard back. Since she only responds if interested, I suppose I can mark it a "no."

HappyCamper
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Emailed Ginger today. Let's see what happens...

RoseColoredSkies
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you Camper! According to her PM page she usually responds if she's interested within 10 days.

Barber
10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Nathan has been my top agent on every project. Perservence paid off, LOL. On Friday, I sent him a query for project 6, and he requested a partial within a couple hours! I've honestly queried him with just about every book I've written over the last 4 years. And he's always been very fast with his reply. This time it wasn't a rejection! Yay!

He's usally fast with partials too, so at least I won't go without breathing for too long. I still can't believe he finally took interest in one of my books!!!

Senora Verde
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Good luck, Barber! That's very exciting.

Barber
10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Awww, half hour after posting my excitement, I got the rejection... I don't believe in jinxes, but sometimes they seem like they really exist. :(

Senora Verde
10-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Sorry, Barber.
:(

Did he give any feedback?

5bcarnies
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
In my search for agents I found a website that stated Ginger Clark had left Curtis Brown LTD. However, she's still on their website and from what I gather by reading this she appears to still be there. Has anyone else heard this? Or am I just going bonkers?

waylander
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Which website?
Aquentquery.com still lists her as being with CB and they are usually up to date.

Cyia
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Ginger's Twitter Bio: I am a literary agent. I work at Curtis Brown. This twitter will be boring.

I'd say the site that said otherwise is wrong.

Kasey Mackenzie
10-27-2009, 06:22 PM
In my search for agents I found a website that stated Ginger Clark had left Curtis Brown LTD. However, she's still on their website and from what I gather by reading this she appears to still be there. Has anyone else heard this? Or am I just going bonkers?

Speaking as one of Ginger's clients, I can state that she most definitely has NOT left Curtis Brown LTD. (If she has without telling her clients, then she's got some 'splainin' to do! ;) ) And for those with no humor meter--that was a joke. She's still with Curtis Brown! =)

WriterMorgan
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Anyone have experience with Anna Webman at CB? She has a partial of mine. I've found info about her online, but was just curious if anyone else has stuff with her? :)

suki
10-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Ginger's Twitter Bio: I am a literary agent. I work at Curtis Brown. This twitter will be boring.

I'd say the site that said otherwise is wrong.

And anyone querying or thinking of querying Ginger Clark should be following her on twitter, because she does post query updates there - ie tweets that say things like "I've read all queries received since X date, and if you haven't heard from me sorry but it's a pass."

IMO, it's worth following the agents you are interested in on Twitter where they do tweet about work.

~suki

Erin
10-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Anyone have experience with Anna Webman at CB? She has a partial of mine. I've found info about her online, but was just curious if anyone else has stuff with her? :)

She's had my partial since 7/25. I status queried her last Friday (3 month mark), but haven't heard back. When did you send your partial?

WriterMorgan
10-31-2009, 12:53 AM
She's had my partial since 7/25. I status queried her last Friday (3 month mark), but haven't heard back. When did you send your partial?

Oh, ok. Yea I have a while to go then, lol. She's had it four weeks. I'm on pins and needles because I have five fulls and three partials out there. I don't want to query anyone until I hear back, just in case they offer feedback to help me improve. But yea, looks like I have a while to go to hear back. Thanks :) Let us know how it goes!

Erin
10-31-2009, 04:32 AM
Oh, ok. Yea I have a while to go then, lol. She's had it four weeks. I'm on pins and needles because I have five fulls and three partials out there. I don't want to query anyone until I hear back, just in case they offer feedback to help me improve. But yea, looks like I have a while to go to hear back. Thanks :) Let us know how it goes!

Good luck! I'll update when I hear something.

bclement412
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
11/12- Partial request from Nathan Bransford within 2 hours of initial equery!!

11/18- And the journey ends- got a formish rejection on the partial today, but it's okay because I'm still shocked that he liked my query!

Senora Verde
11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Partial request from Nathan Bransford within 2 hours of initial equery!!

Oooh! Congrats and good luck!

bclement412
11-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Thank you!

Rowan
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Congrats and good luck! I love his blog. :)

Straka
11-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Awesome! I got a nice personal rejection letter from him today. I have to say he sure is fast. I submitted 11 PM sunday and got a reply 2:00 PM EST the monday.

WriterMorgan
12-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Good luck! I'll update when I hear something.

Heard anything? Is she just a no response? I followed up to let her know status update with other agents and she never responded...been four weeks since I e-mailed her and just crickets all around...

Erin
12-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Heard anything? Is she just a no response? I followed up to let her know status update with other agents and she never responded...been four weeks since I e-mailed her and just crickets all around...

Nothing yet. I've sent 2 nudge emails at the 3 & 4 month marks and not a peep.

Saltier
12-18-2009, 08:02 PM
"I've read all queries received since X date, and if you haven't heard from me sorry but it's a pass."

IMO, it's worth following the agents you are interested in on Twitter where they do tweet about work.

~suki

I just saw that the other day from her.

Also, you get some sense of their personality from what they Twitter.

honeysock
12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
And you can find out if they just might be *addicted* to tweeting. (10-15 tweets an hour on a regular basis . . . )

Kind of like I'm addicted to checking updates on this forum. : )

ETA: It's a different agent that I follow who's a tweet freak--not one with Curtis Brown.

Erin
12-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Received a nice R from Anna W. today. She appears swamped, so if you have material out with her, she should respond.

rebobinar
12-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Honeysock - I think I follow that agent, too.
Anybody know if Nathan's reading queries right now? I know everybody's got a different policy over the holidays and I can't remember what he's said about it.

Erin
12-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Honeysock - I think I follow that agent, too.
Anybody know if Nathan's reading queries right now? I know everybody's got a different policy over the holidays and I can't remember what he's said about it.

Check his blog today. He states he's working thru 12/23.

WriterMorgan
12-19-2009, 04:41 AM
I just saw that the other day from her.

Also, you get some sense of their personality from what they Twitter.

I follow Ginger, but I was asking about Anna :) My fault - I should have been clearer. Thank you, though! :)

Senora Verde
01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
For those of you keeping track of these things, I queried Nathan 1/5, received a partial request 1/6, received R 1/13

nash
01-16-2010, 03:11 AM
I sent a query via email to Ginger Clark on Jan 3 and received a request for the first 50 pages 11 days later.

Sage
01-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Update
Ginger_Clark: If you emailed me a query before 11:59 pm on Jan 14th 2010 and you have not heard from me, I'm passing on your work, I'm sorry.

chequa
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I know that at some agencies, a no from one is a no from all -- but what's the low-down on this policy at Curtis Brown? Can we query multiple agents there? (I mean sequentially of course, not simultaneously.)

thmafi
02-18-2010, 02:00 AM
ummm.. i do believe so.
ive gotten a rejection from nathan and gone on to get another rejection (via silence) from ginger clark. but i dont think No from one is No from all.

although, i just queried nathan with a new novel yesterday and got a partial request today. i guess we'll see what happens.

shameless
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Per Ginger Clark's 2/26 tweet:
Authors: if you emailed me a query before 11:59 pm on 2/19 and have not heard from me, I'm sorry to say that I am passing on it.

Roly
02-28-2010, 11:04 PM
lol I queried on the 20th so I guess I'm safe...for now

meddyK
03-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Does Nathan reply to every query? It's been a week...but he was on vacation so I'm just wondering.

Maddie
03-01-2010, 02:56 AM
I queried on Oct. 11th, 2009, and received a polite refusal on Oct. 12th 2009. Quick turnaround, which was nice, I could move on. Maybe he's catching up from a vacation wherein he actually vacationed, and now has a slight backlog to contend with.

meddyK
03-01-2010, 03:21 AM
thanks Maddie!
I think I'll assume it's a rejection for now. Can't stop the pessimism...

Maddie
03-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Don't give up - just think of it this way - if you send out 100 queries, and get one request for material, you're doing great. Listen closely to the rejections, because at times you can learn a lot from the agents that give them. I must have queried hundreds, and out of that, if I get 5 or 10 interested parties, that's a jackpot. One of those will eventually be your agent. But you mustn't give up, meddyK, if writing is your passion.

Erin
03-01-2010, 05:11 AM
According to Nathan's blog, he's been at a writer's conference in Mexico this past week. Friday was his last day, so he's probably just behind.

thmafi
03-01-2010, 07:40 AM
meddyk, i'm almost positive nathan responds to every query. he's just been swamped from being gone this past week -- i'd be surprised if he didn't get back to you some time within the next few days.

fingers crossed for you!

NovelistInNYC
03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Has anyone had dealings with Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown?
I was working with him briefly over the summer, because he represents a friend of mine and he took an interest. Nice man, very knowledgeable, but kept asking for rewrites and refused to offer me an official agency agreement in writing. After four months of that I got offered an agency agreement with James Fitzgerald and I opted to take it. Waters wasn't happy, probably still isn't, but I'll never say he isn't a very good agent according to everything I know.

meddyK
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys for the support. I swear sometimes they need to stick some lithium in the water of people who query! Or just mine, ha ha.
I just read Nathan's blog and he's got something like over 400 backlogged queries to go through. Sheesh. Somewhere in that pile is my wittle query.

mtrenteseau
03-02-2010, 07:24 AM
I know that at some agencies, a no from one is a no from all -- but what's the low-down on this policy at Curtis Brown? Can we query multiple agents there? (I mean sequentially of course, not simultaneously.)

Nathan's rejection to me said "I regret to say that I donít feel that Iím the most appropriate agent for your work." Which leads me to believe that I might find a good fit with another Curtis Brown agent.

Which I haven't tried to do yet.

So far I've sent out a dozen queries, and I've received one request for a partial and one rejection. Of course, saying I only got one rejection is like saying that until this year, Temple University's football team hadn't lost a post-season game in eighty years.

mercy740
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm one of those who have been rejected by Nathan too. But he's been so wonderful throughout I can only speak accolades of him. In mid Dec I queried him and he requested for the first 30 pages. One month later, in mid Jan, he requested for the full. After 1 month, he apologized to say he hadn't gotten to the full yet and he will do so when he's in Mexico. When he came back from Mexico, he sent me a personalized rejection.

But he has been so professional and lovely throughout. I'd die to have him as my agent. But it was not to be. Not with this book anyway, a YA Fantasy.

meddyK
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Got an r on my query. No surprise though. Moving on...:)

Stikan
03-04-2010, 03:23 AM
I queried Nathan today and literally 5 minutes later got the R.

"Thank you for your recent e-mail and for reading my blog, I appreciate it. I regret to say that I don’t feel that I’m the most appropriate agent for your work."

Too bad. I really liked him, he seemed like a great agent to work with.

redlady1
03-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Got a partial request from Nathan today (for a q sent today).

Beckstah
03-16-2010, 02:50 AM
Ginger Clark made a post to her Twitter last weekend stating that all queries sent before 3/13 that she didn't respond to were a big R.

I'm glad she decided to make that information available even though she doesn't respond individually - it does make it easier for us to know what's up.

BBWalter
03-16-2010, 06:13 AM
From everything I've read on here (and online), I've gotten the distinct feeling that Nathan and this agency are very on the ball. It's nice to see that an agency understands how terminable the wait can be for an aspiring (or even established) author, not waste anyone's time and get back quickly. (Not saying other agencies waste time, but it is nice to see some haste. At least, in the query process. I'll take my time with the edits/rewrites.)

Curtis Brown will certainly be on my query list...As soon as I finish polishing a second time like they ask. :)

BB

LittleFlowerLei
03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I queried Anna Webman on 2/20 and now its 3/18 and haven't heard a thing from her. Should I just consider this silence a rejection and move on?

redlady1
03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Rejection on the partial (from 3/15).

PastMidnight
03-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Ginger Clark made a post to her Twitter last weekend stating that all queries sent before 3/13 that she didn't respond to were a big R.

I'm glad she decided to make that information available even though she doesn't respond individually - it does make it easier for us to know what's up.

Thanks for passing it on for those of us who don't follow Twitter. :)

hester
03-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Just got a partial request from Nathan. Dude is fast! I queried about ten minutes before I got the request...:)

Dr. Johnson
03-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Re: Nathan Bransford. 35 minutes to e-jection!

"Thank you for your recent e-mail and for reading my blog, I appreciate it. I regret to say that I donít feel that Iím the most appropriate agent for your work.

However, opinions vary considerably in this business, and I wish you the best of luck in your search for representation. "

"Recent e-mail." And how. But that's cool. I probably spent as much time reading his blog as he did reading my query.

Doc

hester
03-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Received a very kind pass from Nathan yesterday evening on my partial (sob).

scspeakman
04-07-2010, 08:11 PM
E-Queried Ginger Clark on 3/24
Partial Request: 4/7

scspeakman
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
A new Twitter update by Ginger Clark:

Authors: if you emailed me a query before 11:59 pm on 3/23 and you have not heard from me, I am sorry to say I am passing.

Kassandra3
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for posting this! I had a q out to her too. In the spirit of "be the change you want to see in the world" I'm trying to write thank yous to agents who contact me with personal rejections that their responses are really appreciated. But I don't suppose that includes Twitter.

scspeakman
04-08-2010, 01:00 AM
E-Queried Ginger Clark on 3/24
Partial Request: 4/7
Ginger changed her mind. She now has asked for a full manuscript. Probably because I have the full manuscript with two other agents at the moment.

Kassandra, I think being nice and kind has never been a bad thing. :)

Kassandra3
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Good luck! Sounds like people are paying attention!

scspeakman
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
They are paying attention. I found with my first book though that paying attention doesn't bring the bacon home. haha

tbrosz
04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
According to Nathan Bransford's blog (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/04/this-week-in-publishing_6499.html) today:

I'm very pleased to announce that my wonderful and brilliant colleague Sarah LaPolla is now officially taking on clients! Check out her bio (http://www.curtisbrown.com/lapolla.php)on the Curtis Brown website, and her genres of interest include literary fiction, narrative nonfiction, urban fantasy, paranormal romance, science fiction, literary horror, and young adult fiction.

Sean Laughing Otter
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I queried Ginger Clark about a month ago, and no response, so I'm going to take that as a rejection. Has anyone had any positive requests from her lately?

(Surprisingly, I am not the least bit bothered by the no-response-means-no policy. I think that agents are entitled to do whatever they have to do to make the use of their time more efficient.)

~*Kate*~
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
From Ginger's Twitter (http://twitter.com/Ginger_Clark/status/12519417085) yesterday:

Authors, if you emailed me a query before 11:59 pm on April 9th and have not heard from me, I'm sorry to say I am passing.

Chumplet
04-23-2010, 05:34 AM
A form R from Sarah LaPolla from an April 9th query.

Annarkie
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Awwww. That's a bummer, Chumplet. I sent mine on the 17th.

~*Kate*~
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
BTW, Kody interviewed Sarah LaPolla on YA Highway last week (http://www.yahighway.com/2010/04/publishing-interviews-sarah-lopolla.html). There's some info on her interests.

Beckstah
04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I sent Sarah LaPolla a query on 4/21... we'll see what happens!

Tenacious
04-30-2010, 04:47 AM
Queried Sarah LaPolla 4/14, first three chapters requested 4/29.

Julie Worth
05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't give up - just think of it this way - if you send out 100 queries, and get one request for material, you're doing great. Listen closely to the rejections, because at times you can learn a lot from the agents that give them. I must have queried hundreds, and out of that, if I get 5 or 10 interested parties, that's a jackpot. One of those will eventually be your agent.

This is wrong. There may be a hundred decent agents you could query for a given book, but getting just one request for material isn't going to do it. On average, you may need ten or twenty requests before one agent says yes.

PhoebeNorth
05-10-2010, 05:45 AM
This is wrong. There may be a hundred decent agents you could query for a given book, but getting just one request for material isn't going to do it. On average, you may need ten or twenty requests before one agent says yes.

That sounds like a logical fallacy to me. All you need is one request to lead to an offer of representation. You can get ten or twenty requests for material and have none of them lead to offers, or you can have just one person ask to see your stuff and have it lead to an offer.

Projects that generate more interest initially might, statistically, be more likely to snag representation--but that doesn't mean that there aren't authors out there who had few initial bites but have still managed to do very well for themselves.

Julie Worth
05-10-2010, 07:40 AM
That sounds like a logical fallacy to me. All you need is one request to lead to an offer of representation. You can get ten or twenty requests for material and have none of them lead to offers, or you can have just one person ask to see your stuff and have it lead to an offer.

Projects that generate more interest initially might, statistically, be more likely to snag representation--but that doesn't mean that there aren't authors out there who had few initial bites but have still managed to do very well for themselves.

It's a matter of averages. Sure, it does happen that one request will turn into representation, but on average, it doesn't. Probably one in twenty partials work out that way, so for someone to suggest that you're doing great if you get one request out of a hundred queries, this is badly leading people astray. If you want to get a partial request, that's easy. Just go to querytracker and look at their top ten list for the most accepting agents. The top one asks for partials 60% of the time. But how many turn into representation? From their limited data for that agent, zero percent. So just getting one request is not doing great.

Maybe Maddie was confused by the statement, "it just takes one yes." That is, just one offer of representation, or one offer from a publisher. It doesn't mean, "one yes to a read."

As for Nathan, he tops the list of most queried agents. Here are his stats as of today, as reported by members of Agentquery:

960 queries
7% partial requests
<1% full requests

Of those requests, there was one offer of representation. One out of 73 requested partials and fulls. And overall, the chance of any query getting an offer from him is approximately the same as the agent requesting partials 60% of the time. So getting a partial read is getting your foot in the door, but you're still a long way from a sale.

kaitie
05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Agreeing with Julie. They say that in general you should be getting requests at least 10% of the time. If you're not, it probably means there's a problem with the query. The really sucky thing would be if your query isn't very good, but the book is great, and you're being shot down because of the query. It might be that there are agents who would actually enjoy the work, but who are turned off by the initial letter and will never give it a chance. If you're getting so few requests, it's usually a good indication that there's something wrong with either the story or the query. The first isn't easy to fix, but the second is.

The point is, the more requests you get, the better your chances are period, and you should do everything in your power to aim for as many requests as you can get.

PhoebeNorth
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Agreeing with Julie. They say that in general you should be getting requests at least 10% of the time. If you're not, it probably means there's a problem with the query. The really sucky thing would be if your query isn't very good, but the book is great, and you're being shot down because of the query. It might be that there are agents who would actually enjoy the work, but who are turned off by the initial letter and will never give it a chance. If you're getting so few requests, it's usually a good indication that there's something wrong with either the story or the query. The first isn't easy to fix, but the second is.

The point is, the more requests you get, the better your chances are period, and you should do everything in your power to aim for as many requests as you can get.

Oh, I agree that it's better to get lots of offers--if only because it puts the writer in a position of greater power and gives him or her lots more options. But one request absolutely can do it. There are plenty of stories about absolutely successful authors whose initial queries generated little interest--or interest that definitely wasn't approaching ten percent (Stephenie Meyer is one; Kody Keplinger (http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/How+I+Got+My+Agent+Kody+Keplinger.aspx) another).

On average, you may need ten or twenty requests before one agent says yes.

This is where the logical fallacy is. Even if authors overall average ten or twenty requests before they get an offer for representation, there will be outliers in those numbers contributing to the average--and the success rate for other authors isn't necessarily going to be reflected in the success rate you have. Unfortunately, when it comes down to it, some authors are just terrible at writing queries, even if it doesn't reflect their writing (or, like Kody, their email is eating their queries!).

Anyway, sorry for the slight derail. The former philosophy major sometimes surfaces at the dumbest times. :rolleyes:

More on point--I currently have a partial out with Ginger Clark (yay! I love her . . . ). Any ballpark estimates on how long it usually takes her with partials?

kaitie
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I think it's more a matter of the fact that outliers are, by definition, about 2% of the population in consideration. As such, I'd rather assume that a lack of requests means there might be a problem I can fix and try to fix it than assume I might get to be in that lucky 2%, because chances are I'm not.

Anyway, to be on topic, everyone here on my list has already rejected me. :tongue

Julie Worth
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
This is where the logical fallacy is. Even if authors overall average ten or twenty requests before they get an offer for representation, there will be outliers in those numbers contributing to the average--and the success rate for other authors isn't necessarily going to be reflected in the success rate you have. Unfortunately, when it comes down to it, some authors are just terrible at writing queries, even if it doesn't reflect their writing.

Even if you have a wonderful query letter and a wonderful book, this doesn't mean you'll get picked up on the first read. Literary agents have all sorts of reasons for turning you down other than publishability. This is where you play the numbers, and twenty agents requesting twenty fulls is like having twenty lottery tickets rather than just one. The best example is Nicholas Sparks--an excellent salesman--who wrote a killer query that got him a 50% request rate. But none of the dozen agents with the full offered him representation. By chance, a new, hungry, and very smart agent went through the slush-pile of a recently diseased agent and pulled out his MS. So even with his marketing ability, a hot property, and twelve fulls out, Sparks still had to hit the jackpot to win his million dollar advance.

PhoebeNorth
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
More on point--I currently have a partial out with Ginger Clark (yay! I love her . . . ). Any ballpark estimates on how long it usually takes her with partials?

Ah, never mind. Just got a form r from her. She had it for 11 days, if anyone is wondering about her response time. Pretty fast! Soldiering on . . . :e2bummed:

Julie Worth
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Like Nathan, Ginger is on the Querytracker top ten most queried agents list. Querytracker is an excellent source of query statistics. For instance, Ginger's median response time for material requests is 10 days, and 16 days for rejections. The chance of a query turning into an offer? Less than one fifth of one percent.

PhoebeNorth
05-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Right; I already use querytracker. I was just wondering what her average time lately had been. :)

Blondchen
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Ah, never mind. Just got a form r from her. She had it for 11 days, if anyone is wondering about her response time. Pretty fast! Soldiering on . . . :e2bummed:

Sorry Phoebe! :(

PhoebeNorth
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry Phoebe! :(

Thanks, G! If things don't work out with this manuscript, I'm definitely going to get in touch with her about my next one. It has mermaids and for some reason, I think she might be looking for something like that.

(It might be her gazillion tweets about it, maybe!)

jennifer williams
05-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Woohoo! I just got a full request from Sarah LaPolla! I queried her on April 20 and just got the request today.

PhoebeNorth
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Woohoo! I just got a full request from Sarah LaPolla! I queried her on April 20 and just got the request today.

Woo! Congrats!

Tenacious
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Fantastic Jennifer!!!!! I am waiting on a reply to a partial...did you send a partial or did you go straight from query to full??

jennifer williams
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Straight to full :) Funny thing, I was on the verge of changing it to be MG rather than YG because two agents said it seemed more on the verge of MG. But then I got this request so I suppose that will have to wait now!

When did you send your partial off Tenacious?