PDA

View Full Version : Pass me a tissue and color me stirred... (Various Spoilers Possible)

RLB
07-22-2007, 08:42 AM
What books have made you weep? (or for the more macho among us, what books have made you misty-eyed?)

For some reason, I am more likely to cry during a movie than a book, though I usually feel more connected with characters in books.

The one that stands out to me the most was the end of A Tale of Two Cities (maybe because I'd disliked every other Dickens novel I'd read). That line "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." Sobbed.

More recently, The Time Traveler's Wife and Tuesdays With Morrie.

And most embarassingly, (alert: SPOILER and huge fantasy geek moment to follow) the death of Flint in the Dragonlance Chronicles. I was thirteen and so sad to see such a good dwarf go...

Anyone else care to dish?

Will Lavender
07-22-2007, 08:51 AM
One, ever:

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much is True.

Brady Udall's The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint came close. There may have been one tear. Just one. And it dissolved pre-cheek, I'm pretty sure.

Shady Lane
07-22-2007, 09:01 AM
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

Sins of the Fathers by Chris Lynch.

Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows

There are tons of others. I'm a crier.

Angelinity
07-22-2007, 09:24 AM
the first story that made me cry way back when (the whole day, if i remember right) was Dickens' Call of the Wild. then a story called The Partridge, which you wouldn't know coz it's never been translated into English.

later, on my first viewing of Zefirelli's Romeo & Juliet. more recently the movie Amadeus; Remains of the Day, Salt on our skin, The English Patient Suskind's novel Perfume...

err, the list is much longer actually.

aruna
07-22-2007, 09:28 AM
My Friend Flicka
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Jane Eyre
Villette

Simon Woodhouse
07-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I recently finished A Farewell to Arms, and wasn't prepared for how sad the last few pages turned out to be. Bits of The Grapes of Wrath, Jude the Obscure and Uncle Tom's Cabin also made me stop and heave a heavy sigh.

Lyra Jean
07-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Summer of My German Soldier
Jacob Have I Loved

So they're YA but so far they are the books that have made me cry.

Almost any movie can make me cry. I cried during Transformers of all movies. I was with friends so yeah it was a little embarrassing.

Kudra
07-22-2007, 01:59 PM
For some reason, I am more likely to cry during a movie than a book, though I usually feel more connected with characters in books.

This holds very true for me as well.

As for crying or getting misty-eyed while reading a book, I'm sad to say that the answer is never. Not that I can remember.

Maybe I have a cold, cold heart. :Shrug:

Evaine
07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Erm, I think Jack London wrote Call of the Wild, not Dickens.

The most I've ever cried over a book was Sharon Penman's The Reckoning, the last in her historical trilogy about the Welsh princes. I wept solidly for the entire last 200 pages. I knew what was going to happen, because I knew the history, and seeing it unfold with the characters totally unaware of what was going to happen to them was almost unbearable.
I haven't dared to re-read the book since.

reigningcatsndogs
07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night had me in tears, probably because it was a little too close to home. (for anyone dealing with autistic children, teachers, police officers, etc. this book really gives you new perspective on people with autism).
Generally I cry at movies -- most movies, and at all airports, every good bye... -- I didn't realise just how sappy I am!!!

ChaosTitan
07-22-2007, 05:18 PM
The Outsiders, SE Hinton
The Green Mile, Stephen King
A Summer to Die, Lois Lowry
Love and War, John Jakes

I'm sure there are more...

Of all the books that have made me cry, I cried the hardest while reading "My Sergei: A Love Story," By Ekaterina Gordeeva. A lovely memoir about the two best pairs figure skaters ever.

Calla Lily
07-22-2007, 05:18 PM
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Brother's Keeper by Tracy Groot
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (yeah, I can be sappy)
The Forgotton Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip

I know there are more...

And then of course, there's the movie It's a Wonderful Life. I haven't watched it in ten years because despite how many times I've seen it, I blubber like an idiot at the same point every time--when George Bailey is standing on the bridge saying "I want to live again" and the snow starts falling. Argh.

Jamesaritchie
07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
the first story that made me cry way back when (the whole day, if i remember right) was Dickens' Call of the Wild. then a story called The Partridge, which you wouldn't know coz it's never been translated into English.

later, on my first viewing of Zefirelli's Romeo & Juliet. more recently the movie Amadeus; Remains of the Day, Salt on our skin, The English Patient Suskind's novel Perfume...

err, the list is much longer actually.

I think you mean London's Call of the Wild, but, yes, it's a tear jerker, and that's one of the first times I remember crying over a book. I'm too embarrassed to name the last book that made me cry.

grommet
07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I cry constantly over books. Quite embarrassing on the bus;)

The first one I remember making me sob was Bridge to Terabithia. I reread it a few years ago to see what so compelled my eight-year-old self and sobbed just as hard.

grommet (http://www.kathrynmillerhaines.com)

Birol
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Please remember to mark spoilers if you make a reference to something that actually happens in a book, regardless of how old the book is or how long ago you read it. Everyone may not have read it yet.

RLB, that bit about Flint could be considered a spoiler to those who have never read the book but intend to.

Siddow
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
A Prayer for Owen Meany.

kristie911
07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Where The Red Fern Grows.

Every time I read it...

RLB
07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Please remember to mark spoilers if you make a reference to something that actually happens in a book, regardless of how old the book is or how long ago you read it. Everyone may not have read it yet.

RLB, that bit about Flint could be considered a spoiler to those who have never read the book but intend to.

Oops, didn't think about that. Thanks for changing the thread title.

joetrain
07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
i just read my name is asher lev by chiam potok. it had me wanting to cry at the most unusual, mundane passages, descriptions of streets and such, sometimes just because i found the writing so beautiful and the insights so perfect. ...i think i'm getting softer with the years.

Soccer Mom
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Where the Red Fern Grows
Black Beauty
Call of the Wild
Charlotte's Webb

Hmmm....guess I'm a sop for animals.

SPOILER ALERT for the first Harry Potter book....

Eta: I almost forgot Harry Potter. I didn't cry when I read the book to myself, but when I read it aloud to my son and got to the part about his mother dying to protect him....I started to cry. I just experienced the moment in a whole different way.

Angelinity
07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I think you mean London's Call of the Wild, but, yes, it's a tear jerker, and that's one of the first times I remember crying over a book. I'm too embarrassed to name the last book that made me cry.

...ayee sure did mean London... next time, coffee before AW (lotsa coffee).

and yeah, Evaine, dididid did... London, Jack.

Moxie
07-22-2007, 09:14 PM
There have been many books that have made me a little misty eyed but there have only been two that have made me full out bawl. The first was Stephen King's The Dark Tower- I cried for a good hour and a half after that one (my mother, who doesn't read, thought I was crazy). More recently, and to a lesser extent, was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

benbradley
07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
What books have made you weep? (or for the more macho among us, what books have made you misty-eyed?)
More recently, The Time Traveler's Wife and Tuesdays With Morrie.
Anyone else care to dish?
I've only read the first 20 or so pages of Tuesdays, I should get back to it, but Albom's "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" had an ending that, well... I had mixed feelings about it, as I'm a Grown Man and I just about wanted to slap the author for making me do that.

limitedtimeauthor
07-22-2007, 11:51 PM
This thread is awesome. I don't want to read books that rip my heart to shreds. (and if they are listed here, I'll know to avoid them!) I take things sooo hard! Where The Red Fern Grows...I still have the (emotional) scars...

But I do love the ones that make me cry happy tears. Those are awesome.

Um, can't think of any books right now, just movies. Don't laugh: Finding Tess; Dreamer; the one about the kids who built rockets...October Sky, I think it was...

ltd.

Anonymisty
07-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Marguerite Henry's King of the Wind
Susan Cooper's The Grey King and Silver on the Tree
C S Lewis' The Last Battle
Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark
F Paul Wilson's The Keep and Nightworld
Chris Van Allsburg's The Polar Express

Among many..like others before me, I'm a cryer.

janetbellinger
07-23-2007, 12:14 AM
animal stories such as Beautiful Joe and Black Beauty. I also cry in stories about people too such as The Kite Runner.

Sai
07-23-2007, 12:35 AM
A Tale of Two cities made me cry (I was in a taxi at the time two. Rather akward moment between me and the driver).
Baudolino, when a favorite character bit the dust. I was depressed for the rest of the day.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows-Pretty much the whole time.

Shady Lane
07-23-2007, 12:57 AM
A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I'm in the middle of that one right now, and already getting misty. It's fantastic.

Provrb1810meggy
07-23-2007, 12:59 AM
I cried throughout Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as well, which is odd. I never cried during the other books, and the part I cried in this book weren't even after the deaths.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Lonesome Dove
Three Came Home
Charlotte's Web
Outlander

zahra
07-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Mary Renault's books, 'Fire from Heaven' and 'Last of the Wine' were the ones that really made me lose it.

Others I had a sniffle at: LM Alcott's 'Little Women' and Stephen King's 'Christine.' Gaines's 'A Gathering of Old Men'. Ruth Picardie's 'Before I Say Goodbye'.

BenPanced
07-23-2007, 02:08 AM
When I picked up Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin last month, I was almost weeping with joy that he'd written another Tales of the City book (I don't care what he says! It's part of the series!), but I fell apart from page 147 on because of the story. Haven't cried that much over a book in aeons.

Jersey Chick
07-23-2007, 05:00 AM
A Prayer for Owen Meany

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell - This was my absolute favorite book when I was a kid. I read into two pieces and had to replace it. I lost that copy years ago, but was in B&N last year with my daughter and found it was still in print. I reread it and cried again - what a sap! (I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who's cried at Owen Meany - what a powerful book!)

Oh, and I did cry at The Lovely Bones - when Susie's dog suddenly comes bounding into heaven - I'd just recently lost my own dog when I was reading it and it totally wrecked me for a few hours. :o

William Haskins
07-23-2007, 07:34 AM
the bible.

**spoiler alert**

jesus wins.

Calla Lily
07-23-2007, 06:09 PM
the bible.

**spoiler alert**

jesus wins.

>snerk<

Serenity
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
The one that stands out to me the most was the end of A Tale of Two Cities (maybe because I'd disliked every other Dickens novel I'd read). That line "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." Sobbed.

I cried reading Dickens too, every time I picked up Great Expectations... bawled like a baby. /sarcasm

Anyhow, on to an actual answer. Bridge to Terabithia. To this day it makes me cry when I read it. Diary of Anne Franke. The Green Mile-- I was reading this on my uncles boat during summer vacation one year. I got some strange looks that day.

And a book that isn't out there-- yet-- one written by ChaosTitan. She seriously made me cry with a particular scene (and she knows the one) there.

Kate Thornton
07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
A Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Recent widowhood so plainly portrayed.

Shwebb
07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all-time favorite books, and I did cry buckets. Although I wish the ending had been a wee bit different for the MC, to be honest. I don't know how, exactly. (I don't think saying that gives anything away.)

Black Beauty? Oh, I cried buckets. I don't remember how old I was, either; I was a kid.

Would I be burned at the stake for saying I cried while reading Bridges of Madison County? In the beginning, I was laughing at the horribly purple prose. But he did have a bittersweetness to his characters; he captured that longing and loss perfectly.

Oh, yeah. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I bawled through the end of that book. I've tried reading his other stuff, and I don't really care for it (except for the memoir he did with his brother Micah).

Ab_Normal
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Guy Gavriel Kay demolishes me every time. And I keep on reading his stuff...

(extraneous anecdote: I was reading one of his books while listening to the stereo and wondering why I was crying even harder than usual. Then I realized that I was listening to the Smiths and premenstrual. That was not my brightest move... but very cathartic... ;) )

Norma

TrainofThought
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM

More recently, The Time Traveler's Wife Most definitely.

One, ever:

Wally Lamb's I Know This Much is True. Yep on this one.

A Prayer for Owen Meany.I cry just thinking about the book.

A few others: Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen and The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Xx|I don't cry at much, really...but to this day and forever and always I cry at any and all versions of Phantom of the Opera. The movie, the stage version, Susan Kay's book...fanfictions...

Other than that, I cried during Animorphs--I was a kid!--when (spoiler possibility) Rachel died.

There's been one or two others, but those weren't books...

And, Whisper. Yeah, mine. I've made myself cry. XDD

That's all I can think of...|xX

WordGypsy
07-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Oh there's so many...it's the hallmark of great fiction if it can make me cry as I do have a cold heart lol

The Notebook, both the book and the movie. I drive my roommate INSANE because I watch it no matter how far it is into the movie and sob every time. Hysterically. WHILE shrieking out "my god, what if I never luh *sob choke gasp* love like that!!"

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Talk about your endings...

And of course there's the "Classics for Criers" like Bridge to Terabithia and Where the Red Fern Grows. Ol' Yeller :D

Wally Lamb gets me too...that was a PHENOMENAL book!!!!

Sage
07-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Bridge to Terabithia is the first one I can remember crying for. (& HP:DH was the last... hmm, not terribly original, Sage)

I'm more likely to cry for movies or tv shows, but that's 'cuz I'm more likely to be affected when a moving piece of music is accompanying the scene.

Sarashay
07-25-2007, 05:38 AM
I cry when I read Tanith Lee's The Silver Metal Lover.

Every. Single. Time.

RLB
07-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks for all the great responses. I've added quite a few books to my "must read" list, and this thread has reminded me of a few I'd been meaning to read but forgot about.

If anyone else has been reduced to tears and snot reading anything else, by all means, keep sharing.