All I Want For Christmas Is Two New Front Teeth.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Because I just snapped off chunks of both of mine.

Okay, not just - about six hours ago. I was getting out of the shower, of all the massively stupid things. (You know how you hear those stories about people slipping and dying in the shower? Yeah, they're all true, I bet.)

I had my left leg in, I put my right leg out - and the right leg slipped, the left leg slipped trying to correct, and there was a split-second where I could've gone backwards, but didn't. I went forwards, caught myself on my hands -

POW.

Front teeth, meet edge of toilet seat.

Oddly, it didn't really hurt. It still doesn't. I called the emergency contact number with my dentist. He called back three hours later (I would be pissed, but hell, it's a Saturday, that was probably great waiting time), after Google and I had calmed me down a little, and the three of us agreed that since I wasn't bleeding, didn't hurt, and had probably only lost about twenty percent of one tooth and ten percent of the other, I could come in Monday morning. Until then, I will have to live with my broken teeth. It whistles faintly when I talk, and makes me feel so very ugly.

And the real capper - do you know why I was taking a shower in the first place?

It was because I was going out to the coffeehouse.

TO WRITE.

Edit: Let it never be said I'm not willing to suffer for my art.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, that's a shame, Novelust. Hope he can fix it without pain and minimal cost. Also, you know what the moral of that is. Don't go to coffeehouses clean! :D

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so sorry. That royally sucks.

And thanks for the reminder to be careful in the bath. (I always like to be freshly exfoliated when I write, too.)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those showers can be dangerous places. I still have 2 large bruises from falling into one a couple weeks ago. (I was in a moving RV camper.)

Ouch, sorry about the teeth, novelust.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Breaking teeth is one of those things that give me the willies. I've had chilling nightmares where all my teeth start breaking and falling out.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
My front tooth snapped off just a few weeks ago. I was eating lunch on our Living History encampment, in the middle of a medieval show, and it just came off in my hand. Like Novelust, it didn't hurt at all. The group called it Bambi's Revenge, because I was eating venison at the time.
I've seen the dentist once, but I'm still waiting for it to be fixed properly.
In the meantime, I've been portraying a Viking for school children, and it's been a case of "Look, children - the Vikings didn't have dentists."
I will be very glad when I have something solid there again.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the commiserations, guys.

The weird thing? I have had those teeth falling out nightmares - but in mine, they all just started to get loose and I could gently tug them out. *shudder*

I've told a few people about this, though, and it's amazing how many of them have stories about breaking teeth. My mother lost half a tooth to Grape Nuts cereal, a friend of mine lost a tooth to a skateboard - unfortunately, I know no hockey players. I'm sure they've got great stories. :)

Evaine, you poor thing. I hope they can fix it for you soon. (I'm going to do my utmost to get my dentist to give me some kind of stopgap measure - I don't know if I can get through the rest of the work week like this.) It sounds like you're handling it with more grace than I am, though - good for you.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
seriously, don't scrimp on dentist fees... your two front teeth -- the mostest possible first impression: break the bank! get the best!

i mean it :D

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound awful but:

-part of one on a chunk of cheese
-part of one biting into a Wendy's chicken burger
-almost all of one biting into a sausage dog at the Folk Fest a week after I got married.

If just one of them had been into something solid, I think I'd be ok with it. And it must be genetic...... three days ago my dad broke one biting into a bun.

Hope your smile is less whistle-y soon Novelust....

Michelle

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ow! Ow! Oh, Novelust! Here I was just contemplating taking a break from reading HP7 and working on WIP to take a shower. I think I'll just sit my dirty self down and keep writing.

Gozzy

Registered
Reaction score
Novelust, I feel for you. I broke two toes on Saturday getting out of the bath quickly and kicking a door frame. Didn't hurt as much as breaking teeth, but I felt like a right pratt explaining it to the doctor on Sunday. At least he had the decency not to laugh out loud, unlike my wife...

Rob

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I thought you were gonna tell us you got in a bar fight.

I also had a dream about my teeth falling out. I wonder what it means....

My two front teeth were worn almost transparent from grinding them in my sleep. The dentist whipped up a lovely concoction and spackled them up nicely. Thus the smile!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Eeks! If there's anything I have a fear of it's something happening to my teeth. And I've had those dreams about them falling out too. I wake up extremely freaked out until I realize everything is still in place.
And you guys breaking them on soft things...yikers! Freak me out even more lol. Thanks!

Novulest, may your teeth be back to their prettiest selves soon :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Egads! I thought I was the only one who dreamt of their teeth falling out - I'm not - I'm surrounded by other weirdos! Yay!

OK - I broke a tooth on a chunk of bacon and had to have it capped. Two years later, I broke the same tooth, only the one on the opposite side of my mouth, on a Mr. Goodbar.

See? Candy and bacon really are bad for you!

Hope everything goes ok and you're whistle-and-pain free ASAP!

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! Go get yourself prettied up.

Years ago, I had a temporary bridge in place on my back molars. I was so upset about the cost of the dental work (young, single, uninsured) that I went to Momma's and got ripping drunk. So drunk, in fact, that I fell down. My bite was off from the temporary bridge, so when my head hit the floor, I ended up breaking another tooth on the opposite side. Kids, don't drink and walk.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, all. They've made me feel like not such a big idiot.

And Angelinity: I am so not scrimping on dentist fees.

This is the grand total if my insurance pays off completely - drumroll please:

$3,200!

What really sucks is that I've got to pay out of pocket because I just switched jobs. Though I've applied to continue dental coverage through COBRA, the coverage has not gone through yet - so I'm out of pocket for the whole cost, and get to submit a claim.

Yeah. That'll be fun. That means what'll be coming out of my account is:

$4,700!

I'm not sure what hurt worse - the two root canals, or the price tag.

Actually, no, the root canals were a breeze (okay, it did take three hours - thanks, my apparently huge-a$$ canals!). And again on the plus side, I've been saving up for a rainy day, so I've got the funds to cover it. Still, it's majorly eaten my reserve fund. I'm thinking about signing back up to do night stock on weekends at a store for a little while. I did it for a couple of summers in college, and loved it. It kept me in good shape with no stress. Between something on the side and my new job, it shouldn't be that bad. (I hope.)

But you know, at the end of the day, I'm grateful; I'm not dead, I have an only slightly ugly temporary (which does look like my teeth, viewed quickly and from a couple of feet away), and have permanent, hopefully pretty porcelain crowns on the way.

...Yeah, the pricetag still sucks. Why didn't I go into dentistry again?

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
long history of chipped teeth. i've had at least eight, and lived with them for well over a decade. last year i found a student dentist that crowned them for three hundred bucks, and they look great. but i miss the chips. they were with me as i came of age, went to college, dropped out of college, went back, and dropped out again. girls didn't seem to mind at all. one of my old girlfriends said my smile was like a beautiful skyline. i'm going back to college in the fall (yes i'm too old by now) and see if the crowns don't make it different.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am missing THREE front teeth. It happened this way: back in India in the 1970's I was meditating on a fairly high up place in the early morning and fell asleep. I fell smack on my face. I thought it was a bomb attack at first. My whole mouth area was swollen for a few days (that;s where I hit the floor) and the front teeth were wobbling.

A while later I went to Germany and got married there. Some time later the dentist found out that the nerve was dead on three front teeth. He carried out a horrible, painful operation which replaced the nerve with something but it didn't work and the teeth had to be pulled. I had to ge a bridge. For the bridge to be fitter he had to file down the two teeth at each side of the gap to little spikes.

I've had the bridge since 1975 without a single problem. I wish I had opened my mouth back then though and got nicer teeth; i think they are too big.

The whole thing was horribly expensive but my husband';s insurance footed the wholebill.