Cosmetic tools/powder puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Okay, I'm getting tired of researching this one.

I have a scene in my work in progress (set in the late 1940's) where a female character applies powder to her face. She's an opera singer and applying stage makeup. What are some other names for the puffy thing that is used to apply powder over your face after applying foundation? Is it just called a powder puff? I'm hoping there are some other names because I don't like saying she reached for the puff and dabbed it in powder. Don't ask me why... calling it a puff just doesn't sound right to me. :D

Thanks.

-brianm

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's common to use a brush to apply powder. I'll see if I can find if such a thing was popular in the 40's.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much worrying about the connotation of the word as it is used in slang... it just looks and sounds funny to me when I read it in the MS. She needs to hold the damn thing because eventually she goes a wee bit crazy and starts powdering her face as if she's possessed. She's past her prime and reality hits her while she's getting ready for a performance.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, from what I can learn, brushes were indeed used then. Another word for a powder puff was a "duster" and ladies often "dusted" their faces. Hope that helps.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI: A brush holds more than a powder puff, but a puff would layer it on thicker because it doesn't smooth the powder out as well.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
A couple morsels - food for thought -

The majority of ladies face powders - especially for the stage - in the 1940's would have still been loose powder rather than pressed. There are still a few brands of loose face powder and it's applied with a brush not a puff.

I've never heard it called anything but a puff, either!

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with stage makeup began in the early 60's when I would watch my mother being made up. They used both puffs and brushes. Sometimes on me! They found it amusing to chase me about her dressing room with grease paint and powder. I didn't. :rant:

Thank for the imput all!

Status
Not open for further replies.