PDA

View Full Version : Any doctors out there?

trumancoyote
07-21-2007, 08:39 AM
So I'm taking a break from Harry Potter to ask the following:

Say I found a surprisingly effective remedy to an otherwise practically untreatable, erm, affliction. Whom should I speak to, and how?

This might be a big deal, methinks.

Susie
07-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey, Tru, that's super and hope it cures a bunch of peeps, but aren't ya gonna tell all your closest friends here what the remedy is and what the affliction is? Purty please with a cherry on top.

Danger Jane
07-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Tell me, a former AP Bio student who is reading an eight hundred page book about plagues.

Come on. Ask me about Lassa virus in the seventies. Or about the emergence of AIDS, first known as GRID virus (gay-related immunodeficiency disease). Ask me about hemmorhagic fevers, African green monkeys, Toxic Shock Syndrome, and periodic outbreaks in South African hospitals of drug-resistant strep!!

trumancoyote
07-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm serious, you guys!

And Susie, I love ya', but I'm way too embarassed to say what it is. Heheh.

Danger Jane
07-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Do you have a doctor that treats this condition?

trumancoyote
07-21-2007, 10:15 AM
As far as my doctor was concerned --as well as many other doctors, too-- said condition is virtually untreatable, so they don't treat it.

Danger Jane
07-21-2007, 10:22 AM
tell the doctor?

:D

Ziljon
07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, if it's hiccups and peanut-butter, your too late, my good man.

JoNightshade
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Why don't you google the affliction and the "cure?"

BTW can you PUH LEEZE say what the affliction is? You don't have to say the remedy but this is going to drive me nuts if I don't know what it is. :)

Opty
07-21-2007, 12:37 PM
It's herpes, isn't it?

And, hate to burst your bubble, but putting Cinnaburst toothpaste on your ding-ding ain't gonna cure it.

dclary
07-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Email Kevin Trudeau (charlatan hack guy who sells the wildly popular "health cures the government doesn't want you to know!" books) with it.

dclary
07-21-2007, 12:51 PM
It's herpes, isn't it?

And, hate to burst your bubble, but putting Cinnaburst toothpaste on your ding-ding ain't gonna cure it.

"The tingling sensation means it's working."

trumancoyote
07-21-2007, 01:07 PM
You guys are all hilarious. I'm being serious here. I had an idea, ran it like an experiment with controls and everything, and it worked -- quickly, unlike anything I've ever found on the internet, in books, or from a doctor's goddamn mouth.

But thanks for taking me seriously.

Opty
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Not that I'm a doctor, but I'd have suggestions for you if you'd be much less secretive and ambiguous.

dub
07-21-2007, 03:21 PM
My doctorate is not medical. However, I could help you find the origin of the word or germ, diagram the parts. Create a syntax structure using the disease and make it look like a rose. We could form a critical pedagogy and set up a study. At your service :)

oswann
07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
What do you want to know? How do I market to Pfizer? How do I get a patent on the thing? Am I really a genius?

Os.

ritinrider
07-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Was gonna suggest you write about it, for a regular magazine or the American Medical Journal (or whatever it's called), but can see problems with that. Maybe you could google the person who invented Airborne, and email her/him to see what she did. If I remember right she's a teacher. Of course, she could also be a doctor too, who knows. Fwiw.

robeiae
07-21-2007, 04:16 PM
You guys are all hilarious. I'm being serious here. I had an idea, ran it like an experiment with controls and everything, and it worked -- quickly, unlike anything I've ever found on the internet, in books, or from a doctor's goddamn mouth.

But thanks for taking me seriously.
Take you serious? In Office Party? Riiiiight...

I know this is some kind of set-up.

Btw, Cheeto fingers is not a medical condition. The orange stuff just washes off.

ritinrider
07-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Take you serious? In Office Party? Riiiiight...

I know this is some kind of set-up.

Btw, Cheeto fingers is not a medical condition. The orange stuff just washes off.

Well, we can pretend to take him serious can't we? Then when he says "Psych, it was a joke" we can nod knowingly and go about our business whilst he sputters and fumes cause his joke fell flat. Besides, I couldn't think of anything funny to say, ya'll are much cleverer then me.

swvaughn
07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Truman - I'm not a doctor, but I've been to them (like that qualifies me to talk about anything...).

But I think talking to someone in medical research would be your best bet for the possibility of getting the word out. Maybe an organization like the National Institute of Health? I know you're in China...

They have contact information here: http://www.nih.gov/about/contact.htm

There's also the World Health Organization, but they look pretty difficult to contact. You might want to start with a more localized group. Even a medical university might prove helpful -- I see (thanks, Google :-) that China is a strong participant in medical research.

A doctor or doctors may not be able to do anything with the information. It's far more likely that you'll get somewhere with researchers.

At any rate, it's really awesome that you've discovered an unknown cure, and I hope that you can get the word out about it!

ETA: Just had a thought -- you've probably discovered a natural cure, and not a drug, yes? If that's the case, you may want to contact holistic/naturopathic health organizations - two of them are the American Holistic Medical Association (www.holisticmedicine.org) and the British Holistic Medical Association (www.bhma.org). Also, whatever you do... don't contact Kevin Trudeau. :)

Jo
07-21-2007, 05:29 PM
A research pharmacist at a hospital could help you. Or maybe have a word to a retail pharmacist, to test the waters. You'd need to test your remedy for contraindications, etc. and have it approved by the relevant medical authorities before it could be marketed properly. (A meeting with a drug company may be warranted for manufacture and distribution if it's unique--and lawyer at your side, of course.) Most drugs derive from natural sources. We've just synthesized a lot of them. :)

The_Grand_Duchess
07-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I just really want to know what the condition is. Seirously, I don't like secrets, I feel left out. Come on you can tell us. :)

But if you don't want to I understand. As long as you understand that I'll be revoking you rights to waffles for all eternity. Do you really want to live a waffle free life?

Think about it.

NeuroFizz
07-21-2007, 06:50 PM
If it's a viral disease, you'll have to show that your cure does more than just clear up symptoms. Many of the "untreatable" viral diseases have hiding places in your person where they can wage periodic war with your body. Also, many anti-viral meds come with a long list of contra-indications. If your sample size is N = 1, I'd suggest you go to Google Scholar and do a search for the specific disease (you may have to go to a more general search), find out who are the active researchers in that kind of research, and pitch your ideas to them. They might think you're a crackpot, but you might generate some interest. Medical doctors generally don't get involved until it's time to do large scale testing of treatments.

Devil Ledbetter
07-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I just really want to know what the condition is. Seirously, I don't like secrets, I feel left out. Come on you can tell us. :)

But if you don't want to I understand. As long as you understand that I'll be revoking you rights to waffles for all eternity. Do you really want to live a waffle free life?

Think about it.Truman should be invoking HIPPA laws right about now.

Don't tell us, Truman. It's none of our business. Health is private.

Bartholomew
07-21-2007, 07:55 PM
So I'm taking a break from Harry Potter to ask the following:

Say I found a surprisingly effective remedy to an otherwise practically untreatable, erm, affliction. Whom should I speak to, and how?

This might be a big deal, methinks.

My suggestion would be, first, to contact the US Patent office and patent your idea. Then write up an article for the academic magazines and get your idea out there.

I could be way off base, though.

Any chance you'll tell me what it is in PM?

The Grift
07-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Contact your local University and University Hospital. They are literally chock full of people trying to find new and unusual things in medicine so they can get their degrees or publish or whatever.

As far as making money off of it? I don't know. Probably try to patent it first, and then market it to the drug companies. But you would probably have to find a doctor to partner up with you to do the technical explanations and lend you a bit of credibility.

Or, you could always self-publish a book about the cure THEY don't want you to know about, and make a billion dollars and give me enough to pay off my student loans since I gave you an actual suggestion to your serious question.

JoNightshade
07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
What are you expecting out of this anyway? To become a millionaire? Wouldn't you rather be a good guy and just give the information to the world for free? What if other people are suffering from _____ right now, just waiting for your cure???

swvaughn
07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I really don't think, going by the nature of his posts, that Truman wants to make money from this. I think he's just saying (and probably rightly so) that if he tells his doctor, he'll be brushed off.

He just wants to be taken seriously, is all. Someone at a university or in medical research will probably be able to help with this.

Foinah
07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
It's the "frozen french fry up the pooper for swollen hemorrhoids," isn't it? Eh? Yeah? Here's a caveat : the crinkle cut chips don't work so well.

There. Hope I didn't burst your bubble, but at least I saved you thousands of dollars in research money. Maybe now you can switch to Geico and the circle will be complete.

My work here is done.

trumancoyote
07-22-2007, 05:57 PM
What are you expecting out of this anyway? To become a millionaire? Wouldn't you rather be a good guy and just give the information to the world for free? What if other people are suffering from _____ right now, just waiting for your cure???

Douchebag. Swvaughn has it right: You can tell by all the useless and almost vitriolic posts on this thread that nobody'd take me seriously -- and I want to avoid that by finding the best avenue possible for releasing this information. But thanks for assuming the worst about someone you've never even spoken to before.

Besides, it's Tiger Balm that fixed me; I can't really capitalize on a product that already exists.

Thanks to those who actually gave me some serious advice.