short story cover letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a short story/romance to send to some magazines. I realize i dont need a query letter, but i do need some sort of cover letter. The problem is, i have no idea what to put in the cover letter! i've only sent query letters for books or query letters for nonfiction articles. So can anyone help? what exactly do i say in the cover letter? Do i mention what the story is about at all, do I mention a bio at all? Or just say here is my submission and here is where you can reach me? Thanks!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I come from a business background, so I usually do include a cover letter. It can be very simple. Just do up some letterhead that includes your name, mailing address (including zip) daytime telephone number and email address. Depending on the guidelines for the magazine, include the story title, the word count and if the magazine has a named section for fiction, include that as well. If you have any writing credits in similar magazines for which you've been paid, include the title of the piece, the magazine and the issue. ("I've published one short story entitled Mandy's Green Coat in the October, 2004 issue of Prairie Times.") If you're published with books (not self-published) include the genre and publisher only. ("I have five romance novels in print through Tor Books in their Tor Romance imprint.")

Thank them for their time and include an SASE and you're done! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.