Uncle Jim You are killing me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdswift

I am on page 16 of the novel writing thread. I know I am going slow but I am doing every extra reading and exercise you suggest (as I go) - if I can. Not to mention my regular writing and research.

On page 16 you are talking about "and then". When I changed my manuscript over to microsoft word from wordperfect the grammar check was on. It constantly recommended changing "then" to "and then", and being the trusting person I am, I just automatically figured the computer knew better than me. Now you are saying I should go back and change it back to "then" or should I not use that adverb or what exactly would you suggest?

I personally thought it sounded better without the "and", but then again I am a hick and most of us tend to talk a little different from the rest of the world. Although I do try NOT to write as I talk - as I am supposed to be an educated hillbilly...lol

I feel like I am never going to get through that thread!!!

~~Tammy

Kate Nepveu

Re: "and then"

Just skim all those posts; it was a lengthy but ultimately minor digression in the thread.

macalicious731

I personally thought it sounded better without the "and", but then again I am a hick and most of us tend to talk a little different from the rest of the world.

:ha Tammy, thanks for the laugh.

While I'm no Uncle Jim, I don't listen to the computer. "and" seems a bit useless in that context, so I always leave it out - it sounds better to me that way, too.

:thumbs

tfdswift

OH GREAT!! Now I have to go back and change them all back to the way they were!!!!:bang :b ang:bang

Can you divorce your computer??;) I think it owes me alimony.:rofl D*** thing!!:head

~~Tammy

Akuma

Uncle Jim

Yea, it's quite a big thread. I haven't even bothered to read it because i can't print it or anything. it's a monster.

Arisa81

Re: Uncle Jim

Akuma,

Regarding Uncle Jim's thread...it is a monster isn't it ? hehe
You know what I did, was to copy and paste it into word processor so I can read it at my leisure. I put about 10 pages in one file before starting a new one. Once you've read what's there, at the top of the page, in note form, write what the topics are for easy refferal.

I also put what Uncle Jim says in a different colour from the rest. heh.

I haven't done the entire thread myself yet, but it's nice to have.

Ravenlocks01

Never ever ever believe a computer grammar check. Quite often they're not even grammatically correct themselves.

James D Macdonald

Turn off the grammar-checker in your wordprocessor.

Next: on 'and then.'

Every time you find this construction in your work (outside of dialog), delete either 'and' or 'then.' Work by ear here. In general, 'and' means two events happened simultaneously while 'then' means they happened in sequence.

When your book is copyedited, an anal-retentive copyeditor will come by and place 'and' or 'then' back where you'd deleted them. When you get the copyedited manuscript back, write "STET" in the margin beside every one of those changes.

It's that simple.

LiamJackson

STET= "Don't delete/let it stand" for polite company, or "leave the damn word/spelling alone!" for those living in the Shotgun Belt.

detante

"And then" sounds right because it is a phrase often used in verbal storytelling. It's a way of letting your audience know that you have not yielded the floor. No story ever ends with "and then . . .".

But in a written story, your audience can tell you have more to say because there are more words on the page. Of course, the narrator of your story may not know that they are writing a story, in which case you could argue that it is a stylistic choice.

maestrowork

If you're writing in first person, I think using "and then" would be acceptable if that's how the narrator speaks. Otherwise, keep it to "then" or "and."

Gala

Remember the TV show, Sea Hunt?

There was always a plot point where the hero said,
"..and then it happened..." followed by a phrase of music,
da da daaaaaaa.

Use and, then, or and then according to your personal style within the scope of the character's voice keeping in mind correct grammar especially Stunk and White's admonition to avoid needless words and then read the piece aloud and see how it sounds then you'll know the answer.

JimMorcombe

Sorry for the blatant display of ignorance....

STET = Let it stand, etc

What do the actual letters stand for, or does it have a latin root or what?

pianoman5

It's from the Latin verb sto, stare, steti, statum - to stand

Stet is third person present subjunctive, and means exactly LET IT STAND.

When objecting to anyone's edit, it means:

LET IT STAND, *%$#@

Status
Not open for further replies.