PDA

View Full Version : Pitching a book with the word "sex" in the title for bookstore readings

hopeful
07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi,

I have co-authored a relationship/marriage book that deals with sexuality and intimacy issues (and which actually has the word "sex" in the title).

It will be published by a mainstream NYC publisher in a few months, and while my co-author will be doing the bulk of the promoting (as she has the bigger platform), I will be doing some promotion online and locally in my own community.

Here is my problem: How do I present myself to my local bookstore managers as a potential booksigning and/or book reading candidate? Bookstores obviously pride themselves on being family-oriented, and there is no getting around the fact that the word sex is mentioned in the title of my book.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

-hopeful

maestrowork
07-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I really don't think there's any problem. Most stores have "sex and relationship" section and they often have authors writing those books come in. Obviously, they're not going to pass out postcards and flyers with naked bodies and "Learn to 100 Techniques to Reach Orgasm" to everyone, or tell parents and children about your event. But adults go to bookstores, too.

Just be forthright and talk to the stores. They may put your signing at the back, near the "adult" section instead of in the front with a big poster saying "SEX" but again, speak to the stores about it.

hopeful
07-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks so much, Maestro!

Funnily, the book itself is actually quite tame (because much of the focus is actually on emotional intimacy). It's the title that I have been viewing as an obstacle. But I think you are right. If I approach them tactfully, I'm sure they will at least consider it. And if they pass, that's okay, too. (I'm actually kind of shy about promotion, though I know it's part of a writer's job description these days.)

Thanks again!

-hopeful

Anthony Ravenscroft
07-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Um... a TV show commonly being used for "family hour" filler on Your Local Stations is titled Sex & the City.

Chances are that when you walk into said bookstore, at least one title prominently displayed within spitting distance of the glass has S * E * X in Big Letters (& possibly embossed foil).

My impression is that intimacy in the title is far more emotionally loaded,

hopeful
07-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Good points, Anthony!

-hopeful