PDA

View Full Version : Have you moved recently?

UrbanMuse
07-20-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm working on a feature for a new consumer magazine, and I need quotes from US residents who have recently undergone a household move. What made things run smoothly? What do you wish you'd done differently? How long did it take before you felt settled? Please email me at Susan E Johnston @ gmail dot com if you'd like to help. Sorry for the last minute request, but I need to get this written up this weekend!

Hillary
07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Being as you are in Boston and I live on Cape Cod, but go to BU, I can tell you one very important thing:

When it comes to moving into or out of a college town (or city, in Boston's case) and you find yourself scheduling a move near when kids are moving into or out of their dorms, stop yourself right there and don't.

Saanen
07-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I moved from Tennessee to Pennsylvania last year (but left my heart behind in TN, alas, and as soon as I can I will go home to it), and my biggest advice is--if you're moving to a place where you've never been before (as I did), get really good directions to your new doorstep! I spent an exhausting and frustrating extra two hours on top of my very long drive just trying to find my new house. Of course it was my fault for not getting good enough directions in the first place.

III
07-21-2007, 12:03 AM
We moved from California to Texas two years ago with four kids.

Good things - we took six months packing and getting ready for the move.

Bad things - when we shipped the cars, it actually took them two weeks to get here so we had to rent cars (actual shipping time = 2 days, but it took them two weeks to get a full load of cars and actually drive here). Also, it was a pain getting the kids' medical and shot records together to register them for school.

jennifer75
07-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Also, it was a pain getting the kids' medical and shot records together to register them for school.

You just reminded me to make an appt...thank you.

benbradley
07-21-2007, 03:01 AM
If you have a fairly long distance to move, don't want to rent and drive the truck yourself, and don't want to use and pay the price for a "full service" mover (who often finds "extra charges" that you have to pay before they deliver your belongings!!!), I recommend this service:
http://www.upack.com
I used them in 2001 to move from Long Island back to Georgia, and was very happy (and not JUST because I was moving away from Long Island!).

veinglory
07-21-2007, 03:22 AM
It sure is an irritating process. If you want a long list of my grips I will be happy to send it. Most recently redirected mail has gone to limbo. I just drove all over town and still failed to find one of my packages.

UrbanMuse
07-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Being as you are in Boston and I live on Cape Cod, but go to BU, I can tell you one very important thing:

When it comes to moving into or out of a college town (or city, in Boston's case) and you find yourself scheduling a move near when kids are moving into or out of their dorms, stop yourself right there and don't.

Haha, very true! I'm glad I'm not moving on Sept. 1 this year! Moving your child into a dorm could be another article in itself.