I hate stupid people

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Last night, I had to go to Wal-Mart to get some interfacing to finish my daughter's costume for the Harry Potter book release party. I went back to the fabric department, and the lady who normally works back there was no where to be seen. I know her because my mom has worked at Wal-Mart since I was a kid and so has this lady.

Anyway, there was a lady working that I didn't know. She asked me what I was making, and I told her. She said, "You know those books promote satanism, don't you? My daughter and daughter-in-law won't let their children get into it because of that."

I said, "Everyone has the right to believe the way they want, but it really isn't about that. It's about good versus evil."

She said, "It's teaching children about witchcraft."

I said, "Have y'all read the books?"

She said, "Oh, no. Are you really going to teach your daughter about satanism?"

I was furious but let it go. The lady who normally works in the fabric department came up, and we started talking. She said something about my momma working there forever. I said, "Yeah, she's been here 22 years, since I was eight."

Her mouth dropped open. "How old are you?" she asked.

I told her I was almost 30. She said something about my gray hair. I've been going gray since I was 14, and I decided last year to let all of the color grow out and just be gray. I like my hair. She said, "All of that gray. You should color it. It just makes you look so old."
The lady who normally works there was just standing with her mouth open in shock. The stupid lady said a few other things, which I ignored, as I gathered my things and went to the front to check out. I was furious. My mom said I should have asked to speak to management, but I didn't. I doubt it would have done any good anyway.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Satanism (and Wicca, for that matter) are just other religions, no more valid, right, wrong, violent, evil or dangerous than the one that idiot saleslady likely believes to be true, IMO.

I'd still go to management and complain, if I were you. No store representative should be insulting customers or espousing religious bigotry.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was waiting for her to imply your hair turned gray because of your insistence on reading Harry Potter. Divine retribution, and all. :roll:

Sorry you had to have that happen! I don't mind stupid so much, but I do mind rude and tactless. That was a grand-slam.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
You want I should put a Silencio Asshaticus curse on her?

:::swishes wand menacingly:::

Can you put it on some of the people in my city too?

I REALLY can't stand people who claim fantasy is all about satanism. The fact of the matter is that it's usually about good triumphing over evil, but people like that can't get their head out of their ass long enough to get past page two, if they're literate at all.

Ugh! I should stop now before I get on a rant.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
The stupid lady said a few other things, which I ignored, as I gathered my things and went to the front to check out. I was furious.

err... just lettem be, dear heart, nothin' you can do 'bout them... you go on and be yerself -- you be ahead of the game whence the apple ripens on zee branch...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Absolutely complain! You were a lot more restrained than I would have been (I made a Best Buy employee cry once - true story). Why should you have to stand there and take being preached to by someone's who's got their head shoved up a certain orifice?

I love the fact that some people see HP as promoting witchcraft? Don't they get that it's actually promoting the power of love over evil? And yep - a lot of the time, it's someone who's never read a page of any one of the books, but just spewing off the nonsense they heard from someone else.

OK - I'm done **take a deep breath, hops down**:Soapbox:

Reaction score
She wasn't stupid. She was just plain rude.

Everyone has the right to believe in whatever they wish but to force your beliefs on someone else, and in a work environment, is ill-timed, unprofessional and uh, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah...wanky.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Why on earth would you engage a stupid person in conversation? Never debate a moron; they just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Satanism (and Wicca, for that matter) are just other religions, no more valid, right, wrong, violent, evil or dangerous than the one that idiot saleslady likely believes to be true, IMO.

I'd still go to management and complain, if I were you. No store representative should be insulting customers or espousing religious bigotry.

You know, I really feel that everyone has the right to believe the way they want. It might not jive with what I believe, but it doesn't matter.

Anyway, my mom will probably say something anyway, even if I didn't.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I was waiting for her to imply your hair turned gray because of your insistence on reading Harry Potter. Divine retribution, and all. :roll:

Sorry you had to have that happen! I don't mind stupid so much, but I do mind rude and tactless. That was a grand-slam.

If she had said that, I might have had to punch her. LOL. I'm pretty even tempered. It usually takes a lot to get me going. I think, too, I was so shocked by what she was saying that I couldn't even respond. Later, I wished I had said about the satanism thing, "Oh, yes, we offer up a human sacrifice to the Dark Lord every night. What are you doing tonight?"

It's probably a good thing that I didn't.

Reaction score
My own thoughts on this are that I can understand why some people believe HP promotes witchcraft...or magic. There's magic in the books and the Bible forbids witchcraft. But anyway...whatever one's beliefs are, fair enough. I'm happy to talk about mine. I'm happy to talk about yours. I'll ask questions, I'm curious. It's when it gets onto the "I'm right, you're wrong, you should do what I do," giving orders mentality that I switch off. You don't bring people over to your way of thinking by calling them wrong or evil - you get people's understanding by...well, being understanding yourself. Or listening, instead of saying, "You're a satanist!"

Unless, of course, you are a satanist. :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
You see...

Y'alls TOO NICE...

what you do in a situation like that is ...

you arrange things in pentagrams in her department...you turn around in a circle three times, raise your hands over your head and say "Idiotus, Stupidus, Baboon Face-iatus"

Then you point at her and say, "thank you for the opportunity to turn you into a baboon. Try to keep your clothes on, though..there are humans in the store."

And as far as the gray hair remark...

"Why, yes. Thank you for the kind remark about my hair. I will consider coloring my hair if you will consider investing in some personal hygene products...I understand this store carries a large selection of soap deodorant and douches."

Actually I wouldn't have been that nice...but that is one of the reasons I avoid shopping.

HAH Harry Potter and witchcraft... HAH HAH HAH. And kids shouldn't read about Merlin because he killed King Arthur.....

SIGH::::::

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Some people need to be slapped to sleep! *shakes head*

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
My own thoughts on this are that I can understand why some people believe HP promotes witchcraft...or magic. There's magic in the books and the Bible forbids witchcraft. But anyway...whatever one's beliefs are, fair enough. I'm happy to talk about mine. I'm happy to talk about yours. I'll ask questions, I'm curious. It's when it gets onto the "I'm right, you're wrong, you should do what I do," giving orders mentality that I switch off. You don't bring people over to your way of thinking by calling them wrong or evil - you get people's understanding by...well, being understanding yourself. Or listening, instead of saying, "You're a satanist!"

Unless, of course, you are a satanist. :D

YAH. But how many people who have been canonized as saints were burned..or otherwise executed as witches..because they were 'seen ' to have practiced 'magic', because they cured someone or helped someone that other people didn't like...and then later it was determined that the 'healing' was actually a manifestation of God or another Saint?

FEH!!!! Miraculous powers can come from good as well as evil and it is the use of those powers..if they exist..that determines whether the use is good or evil.

And in the case of people who accuse people who read Harry Potter..( or any of the hundreds of other books in a similar vein) of practicing witchcraft....

It Takes One to Know One....go burn yourself.

And I better go before I throw this into TIO.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, when acts that defy the laws of physics and chemistry are described in a work of fiction, it's called witchcraft, and cited as clear evidence of the devil's work.

When acts that defy the laws of physics and chemistry are described in a book of religion practiced by a subset of the world's population, the events are referred to as miracles and offered as clear support of a God.

I get it...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, when acts that defy the laws of physics and chemistry are described in a work of fiction, it's called witchcraft, and cited as clear evidence of the devil's work.

When acts that defy the laws of physics and chemistry are described in a book of religion practiced by a subset of the world's population, the events are referred to as miracles and offered as clear support of a God.

I get it...
See, this is why I need an "indeed" button on my keyboard. :D

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I would love to know how this "woman" thought it was alright to talk to you this way? Where are common manners? I hope your mother and the other fabric lady take this to management, if she's being so rude to you imagine what she's doing to others?

Chin up, you took the high road. :D

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Well, there's magic in Bible as well - but it's considered "miracles". It's all a matter of interpretation. That still doesn't give anyone the right to shove their beliefs down someone else's throat.

My best friend's father was "born-again" back when we were teenagers, ever since, he's tried to "save" me more times than I care to think about and it came to a point where it was impossible to be polite about it. I don't understand the mentality that suggests "If I lecture you, I'll enlighten you." No you won't, you'll just piss me off. I respect your beliefs, now try practicing that yourself (directed to would-be savior, not anyone posting here ;))

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand where some people get the idea they can push their beliefs on other people and why they think being rude is okay. It's okay to say, "I don't agree." but it's never okay to say, "You're wrong."

I would have immediately reported her to management. In fact, I would have insisted the manager follow me to her department so she could watch me point her out. I wouldn't want her to make any mistake as to who reported her. :)

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I go into Walfarts just to say confront folks like this-or for that matter anywhere it occurs-people are usually afraid of me when they see me so normally I have no problemo-but if I do-I just kinda sorta cross me eyeballs and lean into em and whisper-you know dear-God and I was talking last night-then I yell at the tip of me lungos-PRAISE THE LORD-while throwing my arms and hands on high-then back to the whisper-He said as long as I did not touch myself that Harry was not gonna hurt me or my grandkiddies-PRAISE GOD HALLELOOJEWS!!!! I am not kidding-it has never gotten me thrown out of any place-and most folks just pat me on the head and give me a quarter-but it does stop stupidity and arrogance-two nasty combos-anyone that truly knows me is SAVED-and knows I aint bullshitipating-HALLELOOJAH-PRAISE GOD-GIVE MONEY-etc etc and so on!