I Laughed at Two Handicapped Guys

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
One in a wheelchair and one with Cerebral Palsy. What if I told you I don't even feel a little bit bad about it?

Last night we went to go see comedian Tom Rhodes, and his two opening acts were Will Marfori and I guy whose name I can't remember. I actually thought the crowd was too afraid to laugh at most of the jokes - not me though. If disabled people are going to be treated fairly, that also includes laughing at their self-deprecating humor. It's only right.

There were a ton of smart jokes, but I think the audience wasn't the right mix for it. Too many girls-night-outers who just wanted filthy jokes to lighten their dreary days, and also a bunch of 18-20 year old kids who went because they can't get in anywhere else.

So, next time you see a handicapped person fall down, it's okay to laugh a little, because people falling down is funny.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I love stand up (or sit down/fall down as the case may be). It's one of my favorite pastimes. But bad stand-up is excruciating.

Glad you had a great time!

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Hell, when someone in a wheelchair falls down, laugh a lot. I'm in a chair and I swear to God I spend more time sprawled across the pavement than in my chair (those blasted cracked sidewalks!). If people can't laugh at themselves and realize that when they catapult out of their chair it's fun for everyone, well... They likely need an enema. ;)

Of course, if they look like they're slightly too disabled to get back in the chair, you might want to ask if they need help. Luckily I don't fall into that category...yet. A few more attempts at being Supergirl and who knows...I could end up a quad.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh no! The sidewalk really tips you right out of your chair? That's awful.

I'm all for laughing at oneself, though. Something happens with a good bout of irreverent comedy. It's cleansing. Not everyone can relax into it, but when it works, it's drugs.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Well not EVERY sidewalk. I'm not Stevie Wonder. But you'd be surprised how many sidewalks are in disrepair. If there's a huge gap, or the sidewalk is really uneven between sections, yeah, I'm airborne. It doesn't help that I have rollerblade wheels as my front wheels, so really, they get stuck on practically everything :) If I'm paying attention I'll just pop a wheelie over it, no big deal. But one time I was feelin' all badass listening to my new ipod while rollin' around campus and then BAM! Faceplant. I got back in my chair before anyone passed by, but I felt significantly less cool after that ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I felt significantly less cool after that ;)
Lol! I'll bet. The thing is, I'd love to give you special dispensation on that sort of thing, but my two should-be-functional legs seem to betray me all the time.

Or at least they did. I seem to be growing more graceful with years. Or, more likely, it's just finally sunk in that I need to pay ATTENTION when I'm walking. I used to fall up the stairs all the time. Not down. Up. I am such a dork.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Lol! I'll bet. The thing is, I'd love to give you special dispensation on that sort of thing, but my two should-be-functional legs seem to betray me all the time.

Or at least they did. I seem to be growing more graceful with years. Or, more likely, it's just finally sunk in that I need to pay ATTENTION when I'm walking. I used to fall up the stairs all the time. Not down. Up. I am such a dork.

I also more frequently fall UP the stairs, Perks. It isn't just you.
I'm clumsy as all hell.
Last time I fell I smacked my head on the front door threshold and went to the ER. I was walking UP when I did it so it was on the front of my head. Lovely. They used glue instead of stitches to put me back together again.

Trish, a little better off than humpty dumpty.

Last edited:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I used to fall up the stairs all the time. Not down. Up. I am such a dork.

Down is worse for me, although, admittedly, I have to jump out of my chair to start up the stairs, so I know it's coming ;)

One time I was at my aunt's (two-floor log cabin) and my cousin and I heard something spooky downstairs so we rushed down to see what it was. My hand missed the 2nd step from the TOP and I flipped onto my back and bumped down the stairs, across the freshly waxed hardwood floor, and head first into the wall. Talk about OUCH!. Strangely, my writing picked up after that ;)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I have trouble getting to 80K.

:bangs head on desk to see if I can shake the other 100K out of it.:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
You wrote 180,000 words? In one book? Wow.

Unfortunately. I'm actually around 160k at the moment, but it has 4 or 5 more chapters, easily. My problem is I have to destroy a world, create a new one, create a lesser antagonist to be vanquished by the end of book 1, and explain my dimensional/character/overall plot arch in the first novel. It's a pain, but so far my beta readers haven't complained about the length. They just want more bad guy, lol. I think I need to cut his backstory a bit, or people are going to want him to win.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Shit. Now I have to opt for a bump on the coconut to get my writing in gear.
Check in the rep store - I can adjust your productivity for 5 reps.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
One can never have too much cowbell. :D

I laugh at anyone who falls down especially myself. When I eat it, and sometimes I can't even blame the cracks, I get up and take a bow and ask for the judges score. :D

The three stooges are comedic geniuses and that sort of stuff cracks me up.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I love "Last Comic Standing" and remember Josh Blue from last year. That guy was so funny! I always remember his joke about going out to hail a cab and catching a bird by mistake -- what can I say - the guy was hilarious. I've read that he won because he got the sympathy vote - but I don't believe that. I think he won because he was just funny. I laughed so hard every week.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I love "Last Comic Standing" and remember Josh Blue from last year. That guy was so funny! I always remember his joke about going out to hail a cab and catching a bird by mistake -- what can I say - the guy was hilarious. I've read that he won because he got the sympathy vote - but I don't believe that. I think he won because he was just funny. I laughed so hard every week.

I don't have TV but I read about him so I looked him up on YouTube. HILARIOUS! No sympathy vote here. Oh man, he had me rolling.