Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
I've seen much online about this, but would like to talk to other writers about it.

How do you conduct a book tour? I would love to start one. I have a new book and, to be honest, travel is out-of-the-question. I have an autistic son and I simply couldn't travel without him. Needless to say, he isn't interested in book signings:)

I think this is something that would be wonderful if I could get more information. I've started creating materials to advertise it, but haven't made anything formal at all. Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks, all! Hope all is well with everyone.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
So... you want to do a book tour that doesn't involve travel, or significant time without your son at your side...?

Can you at least do public readings at nearby venues -- where you'd stand around for an hour & greet your sponsors, then read aloud for a half-hour, then speak about your book for another half-hour (possibly intermixed), then answer questions for a half-hour, then greet attendees for an hour? Leaving out transit time, call it 3-4 hours.

If you can't manage it, you can't manage it. Telling you how to do it would be like using IM to teach you foxtrot.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
TY

Thanks, Anthony.

I already do the local thing when I can, that isn't a problem. I was hoping to network with others who had conducted virtual tours to see what their specific likes and dislikes were. I've already studied quite a bit via articles and the like. I think that would be wonderful for out-of-state projects that I couldn't physically attend.

Actually, a virtual tour would be something I could do with my son at my side. That's what I liked the most about it.

BTW, what exactly would be like using IM to teach Foxtrot?

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a virtual book tour next month. I think it's a great way for someone who has a book published by a smaller press or anyone for that matter. Christine Norris just did one in which I hosted her. She did an awesome job.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
TY-Invite

Thanks, Ischel!

You know, that's a very good idea. So far, I haven't found any real "cons," to the process. Making sure one site doesn't get all the good questions, maybe?

Well, I am certainly open to be a host if anyone will host me. My domain is listed in my sig (laurawrites) if you want to poke around a bit. I've interviewed three other authors before, but sort of found myself working on so many other projects, I couldn't keep it up. The interviews are listed as "AuthorTalk." I also have a section titled "ORIGINS," that discuss the stories behind the ideas for books. I barely got that one developed, but if anyone would like to submit information on their book, go right ahead.

Authors should band together and promote one another. You know, competition would be logical if a few hundred thousand book sales were on the line. How many of us have really sold that much? Of course, who wouldn't adore something like that, but in all honesty, mutual promotion would take a lot of the work out of it for most of us.

I don't think it's just small or independent presses at all. I have a writing friend who lives around an hour from my house and he's been published multiple times through the NY "big boys." He has a small following, but nothing like you would think.

I think he really has some issues, though. I offered to send him a copy of my first print book (I did that to many friends and some still speak to me...lol). He was so terrified I wanted a blurb for the back of the book, he ceased all contact. Wouldn't return any email or anything. I didn't want a blurb and didn't ask for one.

Of course, he also approached me a year later after I interviewed him for an article and asked who I was. Go figure. It's either an ego thing or something worse. It's not like he's a mega author. Promotes himself as a "mega" author, but isn't. I was slightly annoyed and asked him if he wanted a book a second time. That ended the contact...lol. You'd think you were asking for a vital organ.

Anywho. The offer is open here. If anyone wants a venue, IM me.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ischel!

Authors should band together and promote one another. You know, competition would be logical if a few hundred thousand book sales were on the line. How many of us have really sold that much? Of course, who wouldn't adore something like that, but in all honesty, mutual promotion would take a lot of the work out of it for most of us.

I highly agree with this! Not only would readers benefit in finding multiple authors and book gems in their fave genres but authors would reach more readers who would tend to like their type of writing. Debut authors would especially benefit from this by gathering a network of readers for their fanbase.

I haven't done any virtual book tours, but I've seen some on the web here and there. Let me know if I can help out. :)

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
TY

Hello, MissLadyRae!

You know, I live in a rural area and see the occasional author who acts like you're trying to "hone in" on their readership. I could easily see this being more of an issue in more urban settings. Which strikes me as completely odd because no reader, or at least no avid readers, limit themselves to a single author. I really enjoy and respect a host of authors, but can't imagine not reading anything else.

If two books strike my interest, I'm going to be reading both. I'm not just choosing one over another. I may read author "A" first, but I will go back to "B" and see what their material is like asap.

I see you have a book coming out next month. Would you like to exchange hosting details?

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I agree it is pretty strange. I notice this alot in the industry of ebooks as well where it becomes really cutthroat and crazy. There's enough books to satisfy many readers over out there, especially the avid readers (like myself hehe) who can't get enough books on their shelves. :)

Yep! Happily awaiting my debut novel release for next month. I'd be happy to exchange hosting details and links if you like. I'm thinking about carving out a "to read" author exchange link system on my website to help readers and us authors network throughout the web. Feel free to PM me!

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
Writing

You know, it looks like many authors who are cutthroat towards others would realize how many people who read their books also write. I often think this is shown by the vast line of non-fiction books written solely about writing.

You could very well create a genre unto itself just of writing instructionals. They're everywhere. An entire realm of non-fiction is sustained and supported just by targeting other writers.

I'll send the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.