Do YOU know anything about gophers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
As I'm reaching the end of my first revision, I'm organizing a list of things that need addressing in the next revision. One of those things is:

Could a two gophers and one chipmunk conceivably fit into a shirt pocket?

Probably not, so I'm looking for other ways to transport them from Point A (Rosemary's farm) to Point B (Fairyland). I'd like to know how large they are, from nose to tail. By my calculations (and the miracle of Google) I'd say they weigh about a half pound each.

The Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_gopher

Take as much time as necessary to oogle at the adorable picture.

Last edited:

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Botta’s Pocket Gopher

Rat-sized rodents with short, mostly hairless tails, minute eyes and ears, and large forelimbs with elongated claws. They weigh six to eight ounces and range in color from pale gray to russet to black, depending upon soil color. The lips close behind the large front teeth, which lets the animal dig without getting a mouthful of soil. On each side of the mouth is an external, fur-lined storage pouch.

from:http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/jun/papr/gopher.html

What about carrying the chipmunk in your pocket and the two gophers on your head under a big hat?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a large purse or a backpack instead? Carrying three animals in one pocket seems pretty uncomfortable to me no matter how large the animals are. How well behaved are they?

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
What about carrying the chipmunk in your pocket and the two gophers on your head under a big hat?

That may result in a bad day for our long-haired Protag. ;) Thanks for the link!

Maybe a large purse or a backpack instead? Carrying three animals in one pocket seems pretty uncomfortable to me no matter how large the animals are. How well behaved are they?

They're transmorgrified fairies, so extremely well behaved. The only problem I have with a backpack is that they might not get enough air/sun, or be smushed by things in heavier compartments. So, she'd have to get a special bag or something...

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
OK, sentient animals, that changes things.

As for gopher size, I'm thinking about the size and weight of a guinea pig. Can the fairies change their size, too?

What's the temperature like? Is she wearing a jacket or sweater with large pockets? Some jackets are reversible which would give more pockets to use. If the jacket has a hood or handwarmer pocket (not sure of the name), maybe that might be large enough.

A strong backpack might still work. They can be in the largest pocket with the top unzipped for air and so they can see. Think Toy Story. Lots of purses have different compartments. Maybe a fanny pack?

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
The fairies can't change their size. The story's set in a parallel of the 1700s, just after the Industrial Revolution. She's wearing skirts, shirt and a vest.

I think the backpack is the best bet. Thanks for the help.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
You could have written ANYTHING in this post and I'd have read it and responded because I adore the title. I think you should name the book Do YOU know anything about gophers? because it'd be impossible to NOT pick up. You'd be a billionaire overnight. Erm... Come the next pay period. Whatever!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know... I'm rather attached to the title as is. I suppose I could change the title, just for you, considering the publisher will probably change it anyway.

;)

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
The fairies can't change their size. The story's set in a parallel of the 1700s, just after the Industrial Revolution. She's wearing skirts, shirt and a vest.

I think the backpack is the best bet. Thanks for the help.

The 1700s were about a century before the Industrial Revolution. Mind, in a fantasy world, I suppose things don't have to be the same as on Earth, but then it's not a parallel.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Gophers are too big to fit in your pocket, even one.

A knapsack would work, if you could keep them from chewing or slithering out.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
A super-padded gopher bra? (one gopher per cup).

Sorry. XD I would think a handbag would do the trick. She doesn't have to put anything else in it, and she keeps it on her arm, so she can make sure no one jostles into it.

There was a girl in my bio 101 class who brought her ferret with her every day. She carried it in a tall handbag (more like a cloth shopping bag really), so that when stretching up the ferret was just able to peek it's nose out without being able to easily escape. It was adorable. And the teacher never knew! (I also knew someone who brought one of their rats to class, in his jacket sleeve, but that's probably not what you're going for XD ).

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Next time, please include the time period in the original question.

1700s? I second the wicker basket idea. She'd probably already have something like that for going to market.

A leather satchel might work, too.

Another possibility might be a patch pocket sewn to the outside of the skirt. Depending on the gopher's weight, this might not be feasible.

Milk buckets.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of character she is, but she could carry a military-style haversack. Maybe she got it from an older brother or found it or something? It would be perfect for a couple of animals

http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/18cnel/wallets.htm

http://reunion.omnica.com/ReferencePages/haversack.htm

They were basically the equivalent of today's messenger bags

This site here has pics of just about all of the various knapsacks, backpacks, shoulder bags, etc, that civilians and soldiers alike carried around that time period. Click on the drawings to get photos.
http://www.colonialmarket.com/casada/index.html

Last edited:

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score

I don't want to think about where the chipmunk would be. ;)

Next time, please include the time period in the original question.

1700s? I second the wicker basket idea. She'd probably already have something like that for going to market.

A leather satchel might work, too.

Alright, will do! Sorry about causing the confusion.

I'm worried that a wicker basket might be uncomfortable to carry for 5+ days. The last thing I want to do is have my MC complain about a sore arm.

A leather satchel would work. She probably has one of those lying around the house. I know that the boys who deliver newspapers use them, so it's not a big leap of faith.

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score

Gee, depending on how your protag looks, can I be one of the gophers? :D

Actually gophers can be quite large, I was just watching one at a golf course (no Caddy Shack joke intended) a month ago and it had to be over a foot long, although of course you can always write them in as being young and smaller. They're quite intelligent too, I used to work with a guy whom had a friend that found an abandoned baby gopher, nursed it back to health and kept it as a pet. In a sense it was like having a dog, it would sit on the couch with everybody and watch TV, scratch at the door when it wanted to go outside, etc.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I'm worried that a wicker basket might be uncomfortable to carry for 5+ days. The last thing I want to do is have my MC complain about a sore arm.

Fisherman's tackle basket. Various sizes and have a leather strap for slinging over the shoulder. Same wicker basket, but more convenient to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.