Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Sorry to keep bombarding the boards with questions! I'm having a lot of problems shifting my writing to 3rd person POV. Writing stories in 1st person POV comes naturally to me and it shows in the end product. My 3rd person stuff, however, has a stilted, trying-too-hard feel to it. What the heck am I doing wrong? Is it a problem with my thought process?

Maybe I should try writing my first novel in 1st person (to teach myself how to write a longer work), write some more 3rd person POV short stories to feel more comfortable with the POV, and then tackle a 3rd person novel later?

So frustrating......

Last edited:

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I set out to write my first novel in 3rd person, and it ended up 1st person, go figure. I learned a lot about my writing style by writing that first book, and now I'm writing most of my longer work in 3rd, while keeping 1st in short stories. Maybe trying out 1st with a longer work would help you as well.

Also, post some of your 3rd person work on SYW and see what others say about it. You'll likely be surprised by the good advice you'll receive.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
What you're suggesting worked for me. The first novel draft I actually finished is written in first person. The novel I'm working on now is third person. I think the experience of actually completing a novel, no matter what POV, was essential for me to grow as a writer. This novel is coming together much more easily than the last.

Some people seem to naturally gravitate to first person rather than third. I remember reading something by Jim Butcher which said he has trouble with third, too. He wrote several drafts of third person POV novels which didn't work, but he struck gold with the Harry Dresden novels when he switched to first.

If this is your first novel attempt, then I would suggest writing in whatever POV makes the words flow. There's so much else to learn in putting together a novel that there's no point in struggling with a POV which feels unnatural to you. Apply what you've learned to your second novel.

Good luck!

:Sun:

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I also seem to have a little insecurity about getting my 3'rd P. down perfect. The 1'st P. I have no problems with thought.

I'm not going to worry about it too much until I finish my first draft though... that'll be a while yet from now.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Third

I've met a couple of writers who write the first draft in first person, then change it to third person limited in the second draft. I've even done this a few times. It's a pretty simple conversion, most of the time, though anything like this is still work.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I wrote one novel in the first person, and one publisher fired it back asking it to be written in third person. I was furious and crushed, but bowed to his greater experience. In this case, he was absolutely right. It was much better in third person, but it took a long time to change it around. Just keep plugging away. Some people work magic in first person. I'm admittedly not one of them!

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I always seem to start in first person because it feels more natural to me and the writing flows better. In fact, my current WIP was started in first person, and I still like what I wrote back then, but a few dozen pages (and six months) into the process I realized that the story demanded more than one point of view.

Still, if I'm stuggling with a scene, I'll try writing it in first person and later edit it into limited third. That seems to work for me. I find that the two perspectives are not all that different in terms of developing character, and there's the added benefit of avoiding the mental rambling that often happens when I write in first person.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I decided to continue writing in limited 3rd last night, and it IS getting a little easier with more practice. I'm just not used to the extra freedom that limited 3rd provides. It is fun testing the extended boundaries, though. It gives me just enough rope to hang myself. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.