Harry Potter and the management 'request'

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You'd think working in a library I'd be first in the line for Harry on Saturday. As it turns out, I'm fourth in the holds list (which currently totals 35 people). I've had word that the high up management want me to give up my hold so a child can get the book first. So I either say no and feel like a total git or wait until payday to buy the book by which time the whole world will know the ending.

What would you do?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'd realize it's just a friggin book and pick the choice that doesn't involve getting the people who sign your paycheck all pissy.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Is it really a child next on the list? If so I'd give it up. If it's just another adult, stuff them.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yeah, it probably is a kid. I know I'll give it up; it's just cheesed me a bit in that the management think everyone can afford to buy a book whenever they want to.

Roll on payday.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you were a wizard working in a magic shop, I could see as how you might have reading rights.

Yeah, I'd make the sacrifice but make a big drama out of it, "You're absolutely right, it's the kids that matter, never mind that I'm a big kid and this is the highlight of my year and I'm going to be terribly upset, I'm taking my name off the list."

As revenge, you can always lean forward and whisper made-up endings to the lucky young readers.

-Derek

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yeah, it probably is a kid. I know I'll give it up; it's just cheesed me a bit in that the management think everyone can afford to buy a book whenever they want to.

Roll on payday.

Books are, honestly speaking, relatively cheap. Granted, they're a shitload more expensive that ever, and WAY more than they're worth at full retail. But yeah... pretty much everyone CAN afford to buy a book whenever they want to.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Did they ask the top three people to give up their spot? Are they children? Can the management ensure that the first child who borrows the books doesn't give it to their parents before returning it?

Reaction score
Screw the kid. Let their parents buy the book for them. Besides, by the time it gets to their turn on the list, someone will have spoilered it for them anyway.

You keep your place on the list, and enjoy reading the book. I would. If I was too cheap to buy my own copy, of course. :D

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Not this side of payday, matey.

Second that. :D Some peoples is broke as a joke. Some peoples just had the power company show up to shut things down and had to write a rubber check.

Some peoples think they might go work in fast food again, since the job market in this town is pretty much McDonalds or convenience store.

Some peoples wonder why they bother... anyway, my empathies to ye, seun.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
The kid buys the book and has to read it out loud to Seun. Everyone's happy. Unless the kid's a crummy reader....