Writing fiction in the 1st person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
I hope I've got this right. First person as in me, I etc.
Does this type of writing style work and can anyone direct me to work that has been written this way. (apart from my daughters Jackie Daydream by Jaquline Wilson!)
I still can't decide whether to write my work as fiction or non fiction. I am struggling with non fiction as I feel my story is totally lost in 'made up stuff.'
Any help greatly appreciated as usual.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of stuff is written in first person! :) It does work quite well in many cases.

Top of my head:

Odd Thomas, Dean Koontz
The Dresden Files (any of the series), Jim Butcher

Drawnig a total blank for some reason, but there's two...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding
Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon
Spare Change, Robert B. Parker

And that's just from the stack of books in reach of this chair. It's very common for the author to use first-person POV, in my experience particularly in mystery and thrillers.

Maryn, big fan of first person

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
So many to choose from -- where to begin? I know, how about the book store and the library? If you pick up 10 books, chances are at least one is written in first person.

If nothing else, pick up:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Kite Runner

Start from there.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was great!

I'm also a fan of first person, and it works for telling a story very well. However, it's not for everybody. Just realize going in that you're limited to what one person knows/thinks. You have to keep a believable personality throughout, but if you know the char inside and out (it sounds like the char might be you, so this shouldn't be a problem) then go for it!

Also, I'm a fan of unreliable narrators. :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think "unreliable narrator" is one of the biggest draws for first person. Can't really do that with another other type of narrative. I can't imagine Fight Club or American Psycho written in anything but first person.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books are written in first. Loads of chicklit is written in first. Many mysteries are written in first.

If you give us a teensy clue about what genre you like to read, maybe we can narrow down some more titles for you. :)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
7 I can come up with off the top of my head:

Laurell K. Hamilton
Vicki Pattersson
Janet Evanovich
Jim Butcher
Mary Janice Davidson
Kim Harrison
Charlaine Harris

You'll find a lot of first person in urban fantasy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there's a significant difference between a first-person story told by a narrator character who is not a guise for the writer, and a first-person story that is thinly-veiled autobiography. The first is widely and well-done by many acclaimed writers. The second is also widely done, but less often successful, IMO, and very often a trap for inexperienced writers, leading them into maudlin angst-filled navel-lint examination.

caw

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
If you give us a teensy clue about what genre you like to read, maybe we can narrow down some more titles for you. :)

What I was going to say. The first book that popped into my head was Baby Sitters Club for some reason. Those are all in first person. But I would have no idea if you would like that!

There is so much in first person. Just let us know what you like, and we can recommend something similar. :)

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there's a significant difference between a first-person story told by a narrator character who is not a guise for the writer, and a first-person story that is thinly-veiled autobiography. The first is widely and well-done by many acclaimed writers. The second is also widely done, but less often successful, IMO, and very often a trap for inexperienced writers, leading them into maudlin angst-filled navel-lint examination.

caw

Very interesting points blacbird, I think that is why I chose to write my memoir in 3rd person as if it were a novel, I was afraid of not being able to do it properly in 1st person. For some reason I have trouble with 1st person. But the first 1st person you're talking about is one I enjoy reading but have trouble with composing. Thanks for posting that, it helped me to understand that there are two types of 1st person, at least I agree with your post, there might be others who can offer other types of 1st person writing. Great topic mum23. :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The Boleyn Inheritance - Phillipa Gregory

First person I've seen who's read that book, besides me. What did you think of Boleyn Inheritance? I liked it. Three people/first person. I really liked it.

I do really enjoy first person work. And there is a ton of it.

I was also going to say Catcher in the Rye. It was the first thing I thought of.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Xx|Whisper by Mimai Selphan Ai. XD

IE, I love first person. Writing and reading. :3

Another one to add to these lists is the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I know those were in first, for the most part at least. So were Animorphs. XD

I'm gonna have to use that as a penname now. :tongue
|xX

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm just saying. I had a curious instance of a reader mocking me because she believed I was obviously living out a pathetic chauvanist male fantasy through my 1st person heroic adventurer protag.* Took me totally by surprise, I'd never really thought of myself in the protag role. But it just goes to show how some readers may regard 1st person, as the author's "if only..." persona. Mind you, it probably depends how awful the writing is. :)

* what can I say, male vampyres are sexually irresistible to women because of the scent they exude... hardly my fault. The closest I come to this is wearing Right Guard.

-Derek

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
First person

I don't think it matters in the least whether the protagonist is a guise for the writer. It's all in how well it's done. In fact, I think I'd go the other way. Any first person protagonist that really works is going to have a huge chunk of the writer in there with him.

It's the story that matter, not whether the protagonist is really the writer in disguise. Too many writers goof by writing a story that's just wish fulfillment, not in the fact that the character is largely the writer.

First person is extremely common in mystery and western, of course, and almost all noir fiction is first person.

First person can be a tougher sell for a new writer. It seems so easy and natural to write that many think it is easy and natural. But doing it well, telling a publishable story in first person, is generally much tougher than telling that same story in third person limited, so agents and editors do tend to shy away from first person novels written by new writers.

Unless you read a lot of first person, you probably can't write it well enough to sell such a novel.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
First person can be a tougher sell for a new writer. It seems so easy and natural to write that many think it is easy and natural. But doing it well, telling a publishable story in first person, is generally much tougher than telling that same story in third person limited, so agents and editors do tend to shy away from first person novels written by new writers.
I tend to agree with this. A new writer often finds it easier to write in first person than third. The problem is, although writing in first is easy, writing something good in first is hard -- more difficult than third, I think.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Xx|^^That's something I hate to hear. XD I've been writing for a long while and started out in third, but this is also kind of my first REAL thing, and it's in first. I realize the complexities of it, but I love it for those complexities, really.

Can only hope I'm good at it...:tongue
|xX

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it matters in the least whether the protagonist is a guise for the writer. It's all in how well it's done. In fact, I think I'd go the other way. Any first person protagonist that really works is going to have a huge chunk of the writer in there with him.

Not quite what I meant. I was thinking of novels like A Clockwork Orange, or Little Big Man, or John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels, or Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, where the author adopts the persona of a narrative character, much like an actor adopts the persona of the role character. Obviously the viewpoints and attitudes of any good author are going to shine through that character persona. But none of these would be described as "autobiographical".

And I also didn't intend to imply that all "autobiographical" novels are inherently bad (obviously they're not), and I don't think I did. My main point stems from a lot of first-person manuscripts by inexperienced writers I've read, in which any real story gets smothered in internal rumination. Too much thinking and feeling, not enough doing and happening.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Not quite what I meant. I was thinking of novels like A Clockwork Orange, or Little Big Man, or John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels, or Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, where the author adopts the persona of a narrative character, much like an actor adopts the persona of the role character. Obviously the viewpoints and attitudes of any good author are going to shine through that character persona. But none of these would be described as "autobiographical".

And I also didn't intend to imply that all "autobiographical" novels are inherently bad (obviously they're not), and I don't think I did. My main point stems from a lot of first-person manuscripts by inexperienced writers I've read, in which any real story gets smothered in internal rumination. Too much thinking and feeling, not enough doing and happening.

caw

Sorry I misunderstood you. Yes, first person by new writers is very often filled with the internal. They forget the real story takes place out in the world, just as it does in third person.

What bugs me is seeing so many manuscripts by new writers where every last thing is filtered through the protagonist. I saw, I heard, I felt, etc. Sometimes the simple article "the" can work wonders. Instead of writing I saw/heard the car explode, just writing the car exploded can make all the difference.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What bugs me is seeing so many manuscripts by new writers where every last thing is filtered through the protagonist. I saw, I heard, I felt, etc. Sometimes the simple article "the" can work wonders. Instead of writing I saw/heard the car explode, just writing the car exploded can make all the difference.

Agreed. I find I do this a lot (either in first- or third-person POV: he saw X happen, instead of X happened) in rough draft. Being aware of it now, I look for this minor fetish at the edit phase, and consider each instance in its context; most can be changed, but a minority need to stay. The point is, much like the infamous It was X that did Y construction, they all need to be examined, one by one, at the edit stage.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.