I need a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
So with my current WIP I have lots of characters and they all have different problems/issues that pertain to teen life, basically. But there's one guy who I just can't think of a problem for...well, I had one, but it feels cliche and another character has a similar issue, so I don't really want to use that. Here's what's going on with him so far:

He and his girlfriend have been together for a while and, as high schoolers are wont to do, they want to have sex. The problem is that when they get to it he can't, well...perform.

I need a reason why he can't get to it. All ideas are welcome, cause my mind's a blank.

TIA :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Gosh, I thought teen guys -er-... I didn't think they'd have 'that' problem. An illness, perhaps? Or stark raving nervous fear? I probably shouldn't even have posted since I really got nuthin'. But, maybe, someone else will jump in now. :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I think some underlying illness or accident would be really interesting.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Sexual abuse as a child?

I knew someone with that had your characters very problem. Turned out he was gay. He tried, oh he tried to refuse it but it isn't a choice. Every time he was with a woman it just felt to him as wrong.

Another reason might be a mother issue. Mother hater, mother lover, abusive mother where he relates all women to his mother.

If you want to stay away from psychoses, the male penis is equipped with a valve that regulates the blood to cause the erection. I'm sure there are possibilities of irregularly developed organs or even brain chemistry involvement (it is a pretty complicated event from a biological point of view). You might see if low blood pressure could attribute.

Finally, embarrassment. He wouldn't need to be undersized to think he was undersized. Although I do recall a fellow from gym class that I actually felt sorry for. We males can be pretty sensitive about our equipment.

I knew a guy that was playing to a fantasy and used a vacuum cleaner as a partner. He got stuck. He was so embarrassed that he tried to cut it off. It stayed of course but it never worked again.

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I thought of nerves, but it didn't seem like enough. He's kind of the jock type, so it didn't fit his personality. I also thought about illness, but that's so...unrelatable. As in it's probably so unusual that people couldn't relate to it when reading. For teens, at least. The first plan was that he was secretly gay, but it seems cliche, for some reason.

But I'm liking Delarege's idea about the mother issue. Maybe his dad left so he's really close to her...so when he's with his girlfriend he thinks of her. that's kind of a deep issue...hm...

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Here's an article on male impotence:

http://www.massgeneral.org/children/adolescenthealth/articles/aa_impotence.aspx

there are some interesting reasons why they can't preform. I thought it was interesting that steriods were a reason. Now that could be interesting if he was taking steriods for sports reasons or if his coach was giving them to him which caused the impotence. I know the steriods can lead to other problems. just a thought.

kim

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the steroids idea. I hadn't fully thought out his "jock" character yet, but making him the mvp in a couple sports could be perfect. And if his coach is slipping him the pills then he definitely wouldn't go around telling about it...

And the girl's, well...she's not the most observant of people, so she wouldn't figure that out. (Though her story's kind of sad anyway).

Thanks Dancre! Now that I have that idea I can get back to the writing. :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep -- or, well, he could be in the closet and possibly not even know it, or be willing to admit it. (Is that the cliche issue you already thought of?)

Or maybe he does, and he's trying to 'cure' himself.

Or it could be that he's just trying to respond to peer pressure, or even 'measure up' to his Old Man who believes that all boys should have done the deed by age seventeen.

Or there's subconscious guilt -- how's his religious background?

How 'bout... whoops, there's the bell, and I'm off for lunch.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I kind of like the dad idea, too. And the religious one could be interesting...

maybe I'll write all three and see what sounds best. :idea:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I really like the steroids idea. I hadn't fully thought out his "jock" character yet, but making him the mvp in a couple sports could be perfect. And if his coach is slipping him the pills then he definitely wouldn't go around telling about it...

And the girl's, well...she's not the most observant of people, so she wouldn't figure that out. (Though her story's kind of sad anyway).

Thanks Dancre! Now that I have that idea I can get back to the writing. :)

Glad I can help. There's so much you could do with the steriods also. It would eventually lead him into the hospital or in jail or dead. Good luck!!!

kim

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a Law & Order SVU episode around this very topic a while back: high-school kid gets hauled in for hitting and attempting sexual assault on a girl -- his best friend. He's a top athlete.
*SPOILER WARNING - highlight whited text below*
Turns out (he's been taking 'roids... which, it turns out, he's been stealing them from his dad... who was pressuring him to get a sports scholarship... who happens to be a retired cop... who happened to be one of Elliot's buddies back in the day.)

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
He could be taking antidepressants. One of the side effects of antidepressants like Zolaft for some men is that it interferes with sexual performance. He might not want anyone to know he is taking antidepressants.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat: that episode sounds pretty intense...I haven't watched that show since olivia left, though (she was my fav). Maybe I'll start watching again.

Dancre: That was a really sad story...even though I had no idea who he was before then.

Tish Davidson: that's actually a good idea, too. I'll have to write 4 versions then...

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
And I just looked up zoloft and saw that it can be used to treat social phobia/social anxiety disorder. That'd be good because he transfered to the school kind of randomly and I had no backstory for it. But maybe his parents wanted him to start his life over w/o the fear and everything. But, of course, he can't just go around telling people he's on meds.

I kind of like that. Of course, I can't call it Zoloft...I would probably get in trouble for that. I'll just call them meds.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I know you already have several ideas, but here's another one. Just a thought to throw out there. She could be drunk or have taken drugs or something else that impairs her thinking and he doesn't want his first time to be like that. Or something similar to that. I don't know if that helped at all. Just a thought or so.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that might actually work well for another character, misslissy. I'm not sure if her 'issue' is strong enough, but that would definitely take it up a notch.

Thanks! I'm so glad that I posted here instead of staring off into space thinking about this...

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he's depressed and on zoloft because he's gay in the closet

I bet that would help his impotence.

J.Ziekemijjer

I'm scary, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Does he have to be unable to perform, or can you give him a reason for not wanting to have sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.