PDA

View Full Version : Publisher Wants Title Change

Prevostprincess
07-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Rather than the title in my signature below, they've suggested:

QUEEN OF THE ROAD
A True Tale of 49 States, 2 Cats, 1 Dog, a Husband, and a Bus with an Attitude

I would love to get opinions on which you all prefer. If anyone can think of a funnier one, that would be swell, too.

The book is being published in the quirky, funny, travel memoir imprint that Bill Bryson, Under the Tuscan Sun, Sex Lives of Cannibals is in, just to give you an idea of tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bo Sullivan
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi!

I like the publisher's title better.

veinglory
07-19-2007, 02:50 AM
I think their suggestion is snappier.

blacbird
07-19-2007, 03:00 AM
The key word in your thread title is "Publisher". I never get to put that one in any of my thread titles. I'd recommend doing whatever they want.

caw

Prevostprincess
07-19-2007, 03:08 AM
That's a good point and believe me, not a day goes by that I don't wake up and think how lucky I am to get to write this book!

They are saying either title is OK. I'm a little hesitant about giving myself a promotion to "queen" as in the book, I refer to myself as a "Princess from the Island of Long."

But, does either title make you laugh or make you want to pick up the book to see what it's about?

johnrobison
07-19-2007, 03:13 AM
I like Queen of the Road better

nancy02664
07-19-2007, 04:11 AM
I agree about the publisher's title being snappier.

aka eraser
07-19-2007, 04:13 AM
I like Queen of the Road too. It's got a familiar ring but the gender switch arouses curiousity.

dolores haze
07-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Agree with the publisher on this one.

MajorDrums
07-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Queen of the Road sounds to me like you're the boss of the whole trip, including leaving (assigning?;)) the driving to your husband. Because your memoir is meant to be humorous, it makes me wonder just how in control you may or may not be throughout the journey!

Susan B
07-19-2007, 06:19 AM
I like the publisher's title, too.

Susan

Prevostprincess
07-19-2007, 06:29 AM
MajorDrums,

Considering that I develop a bus phobia (not a good thing when you're living on a bus), turns out I wasn't too in control, even though I left the driving to him! (Actually, my husband was thrilled I didn't want to drive the thing. He's seen me behind the wheel.)

Anyone for Road Princess? (I'm just really loathe to give myself that promotion... )

MajorDrums
07-19-2007, 07:23 AM
With having to deal with a bus phobia during your trip, I think you deserve a promotion! I still prefer Queen of the Road, but it doesn't seem like you want to force something you're not really feeling. Go with your gut and good luck!

sgunelius
07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I like the publisher's title and subtitle better. I'd be more apt to pick up a book with that title vs. the original title.

simplycottage
07-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Queen of the Road

It stirs interest.
You ARE the queen- this is YOUR throne.
Congrats!

JamieFord
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I like Queen too.

Lauri B
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I like Queen of the Road much better than Road Princess or the original title. And as soon as you see it, you'll start whistling that song. . .

Saint Fool
07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Queen per all of the above. Princess makes me think of Diana.

Lavinia
07-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I like Queen of the Road. If I saw it in a bookstore, here are some of the thoughts it provokes;

*This is about a woman achieving a dream.
*This is about a woman going against the norm and taking a cool trip.
*This is about an adventure.
*And ultimately, for me personally, I would think, "Hey, I want to step out of the expected too. I wonder what this book has to offer me?"

I think you can rest assured that no one will think you are truly a queen. I mean, we've all heard the expression, king of the road. It's a take on that, so I wouldn't worry about promoting yourself to queen. It is, of course tongue-in-cheek. From a marketing standpoint it is fabulous. I mean, think about it, you could use a tilted-crown logo, where it looks like the crown is falling off of your head. There are hundreds of possiblities. (I've been studying marketing lately) Sounds like you have a wise publisher. Contrats!

Leave the Driving to Him, immediately evokes thoughts of a submissive woman relenting and letting her husband take control. This is not what you want, believe me. Even though he did end up doing the driving, it does not sound like that is the point. Think about your audience. What will make them want to read your book?

It all sounds so wonderful. Go ahead-bask in your queendom!

Lavinia

Prevostprincess
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your time and thoughtful, so very helpful replies.

Queen of the Road, it is.

Particular thanks to MajorDrums: Your comment that I deserve a promotion made me realize that's exactly what I'll do in the final chpt. The first chpt is called, "Dethroned" (what else could it be when a princess finds her kingdom has shrunk to 340 square feet?). I'll now name the final chpt, "Coronation," since at the end of the previous one, my bus phobia implodes and resolves in a way that completely takes me by surprise and makes me learn some things about myself. So, you're right; I do deserve a promotion.

And, to Lavinia: I hadn't realized that Leave the Driving to Him makes me sound submissive, so is quite a turn off to readers. You're right, of course.
I'll start basking right away.

Again, a big MWAH! to you all. I feel so good about the new title and have you all to thank.

catephoenix
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
'Leave the Driving to Him' to me sounds like a learn how to drive manual, sorry, and not one I would pick up.

'Queen of the Road', however, is a title I would not only glance twice at and pick up, I would probably by it too...

Good luck.

kimmer
07-27-2007, 04:48 AM
I'd go with their suggestion. I love the books from that publisher, too.

kimmer
www.scholarshipstreet.com (http://www.scholarshipstreet.com)

Horseshoes
08-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Run with them, Doreen.
And congratulations. I'll be looking for the book. (What, couldn't find the exit for that highway to Hawai'i?)

wee
08-04-2007, 06:21 PM
But, does either title make you laugh or make you want to pick up the book to see what it's about?

Either one! I am intrigued & will be looking for this book on the shelves of my local store soon ...

And Queen of the Road makes me want to get out my Roger Miller CDs...

Lyra Jean
08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
So when does it come out? Sounds interesting and I'm not one for reading lots of NF.

Prevostprincess
08-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks to you all, again, for your opinions, help and support.

Rosemerry: Queen of the Road will be out in June '08.

Horseshoes: Funny you mention Hawaii. I told my husband at the outset of our trip (which I didn't want to go on), that afterwards, I expected a "reward" of going to Hawaii. I never did collect, since by the end of the year, I was so grateful we'd had the chance to do the "bus thing" as we came to call it. In fact, in spite of all the disasters we had (fire, flood, armed robbery and finding ourselves in a nudist RV park, just to name a few) I decided the worst thing about the "bus thing" was having to admit to Tim he was right!

ColoradoGuy
08-05-2007, 03:05 AM
I assume you've seen "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert," the Aussie flick? If not, rent it. It's about a bus, too.

Prevostprincess
08-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Very funny flick. I'm hoping people realize the "Queen" in my title refers to me and not my husband.

Lyra Jean
08-05-2007, 03:45 AM
I'll look for it.

Prevostprincess
02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey all,

I know this is an old thread, but my new author website (see signature below) just launched and I'm having warm, gushy thoughts about all of you who helped me choose the right title for this book. The website was a ton of work, but it's definitely been worth it - I've been getting so many positive comments and referred traffic. And, I'm convinced it's because of the title you all helped me pick, which allowed us to play and have fun with many, many aspects we never would have with the original one. I still can't believe I was so stuck on it.

Anyway, just wanted to say a BIG THANKS again, and encourage you all to come on over to the site to see that which you have wrought.

(And, BTW - Bella Stander's and Kristen Nelson's blogs have recently posted on the importance of author websites. I can attest to that. Mine has apparently created a lot of excitment in the sales force and that's always a good thing. Fingers crossed for June pub...)

Best,
Doreen

paprikapink
02-03-2008, 04:44 AM
Looks good, Doreen!