"Safety Tips" email fwd making the rounds

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Mass emailings from friends and associates usually annoy me, but I thought I’d pass along some safety information. And even though these potential “life-saving tips” are always in the back of my mind, I guess I don’t think about them much. They’re more instinctive. If you have some other safety tips, please share them.

Disclaimer: The information gathered below is the opinion of a self-defense instructor, and is not supported by any recognized authority, nor have studies been conducted to prove these claims. Use at your own peril.

The original story from snopes.com can be read here.

-----

Talking on cell phones, searching through your purses, or doing other activities while walking is not good because you are off-guard and can be easily overpowered by a perpertrator. I usually listen to my Ipod on the subway. But no matter what time of day it is, I remove the headphones when I’m walking home or to another place. I need to “hear” what’s behind me.

Be aware while in grocery-store parking lots; office-parking lots or garages; and public restrooms.

If a potential victim puts up any kind of fight at all, some attackers are discouraged.

If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question like, “What time is it?” Or make general small talk: “I can’t believe it is so cold out here. We’re in for a bad winter.” Now you’ve seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.

If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back taillights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.). DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

I remember a detective on Oprah years ago--J.J. Bittenbinder, something of the like. He said to NEVER go to a second location. If they want to rob you, they will do it there. Taking you to a second location means that they want to do more.

A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage: Be aware. Look around you. Look into your car at the passenger-side floor and in the back seat. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars. Also, Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. And better paranoid than worse.

ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT, BUT LOOKOUT:

Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her “Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” The lady then said it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, “We already have a unit on the way. Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” He told her that they thought a serial killer had a baby’s cry recorded and used it to coax women out of their homes, thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they heard baby’s cries outside their doors when they were home alone at night.

DO NOT open the door for a crying baby. This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on America’s Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana.

I’ve also learned that when you need help, don’t yell, “Help!” Yell, “Fire!” The response rate is greater. Isn't that something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I think it's worth noting here that the majority of people who are raped know their attackers. (The figures vary between 2/3 up to about 80%, but it's safe to say that's the majority.)

It's a good idea, for many reasons, to be aware and alert when you're alone.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia, can you provide any data or direct us to actual studies that would support the claims made in your post? It seems to me that some of the advice is in opposition to common sense and could lead to injury or death.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You posted before I could edit to include some links, SK.

RAINN is an excellent website for victims of sexual assault. They have the following advice for students on spring break - but they're useful for everyone:

1. Get to know your surroundings before you go out and learn a well-lit route back to your hotel or rental property.
2. Always carry emergency cash and keep phone numbers for local cab companies handy.
3. Form a buddy system with close friends and agree on a secret "butt in" signal for uncomfortable situations.
4. Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe in any situation, go with your gut.
5. Avoid being alone or isolated with someone you don’t know and trust.
6. Don't accept drinks from people you don't know or trust.
7. Never leave your drink unattended, and if you do lose sight of it, get a new one.
8. Always watch your drink being prepared.
9. Try to buy drinks in bottles, which are harder to tamper with than cups or glasses.
10. Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia, can you provide any data or direct us to actual studies that would support the claims made in your post? It seems to me that some of the advice is in opposition to common sense and could lead to injury or death.

I'm sorry. No I cannot provide data. This was sent to me via "mass emailing" from an associate I went to school with. Interestingly, she's a journalist and didn't provide any data. Go figure!

But yeah, my advice would be to use common sense. I've never been a victim of a crime, but I've always been the paranoid type. I've learned from other crime victims (like my mom who has always been an "easy" target).

Also, if I'm confronted by strange men that give me the Willies, I bark loudly and use profanity, even though I don't normally use profanity.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
You posted before I could edit to include some links, SK.

RAINN is an excellent website for victims of sexual assault. They have the following advice for students on spring break - but they're useful for everyone:

A friend of mine went to a bar and had her drink spiked. She left the drink at the bar with a guy she just met. Anyway, she told me he took her to his place and the last thing she remembered was him and his room-mate having their way with her and she passed out. She was ill the next day, vomiting and stuff.

In the 70s, my aunt had her drink spiked and she went blind. My mom warmed me about this one.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
That's friggin' creepy, especially the crying baby, WTF.

-Derek

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
That's friggin' creepy, especially the crying baby, WTF.

-Derek

Yeah, that one sends chills up my spine. I have heard about the knocking on the door someone claiming to be from the gas company and the like. In fact, in my town, this went on about six months ago.

I don't open the door for anyone I don't know. If it's FedEx or someone, I better be expecting them and they better have a marked truck parked outside, wearing a uniform.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Umm .... I think I recall seeing this exact same list a few years back in snopes.com.

Anybody wanna beat me to the punch and actually find that snopes listing????

(In other words, I think maybe that list is bogus. Sorry. :( )

No need to be sorry. I took from it what I applied to my sniff test, using my logic. If I'm every confronted in any of these situations, I have some options.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score

A prankster, eh! Whew. I was starting to get paranoid all over again. :)

As I've said in my original post, I don't think about this everyday, but it's always in the back of my mind. Last summer a 15 year old girl was raped one block away from me at eight o'clock at night. That was creepy. In fact, that same night, my husband and I were walking to our car thirty minutes later; we had a car at the time. We didn't see anything though.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A prankster, eh! Whew. I was starting to get paranoid all over again. :)
Okay. So what's to become of this thread? What if people read the original post and never get this far to realize the advice is bogus?

A thread title change might help. What do you all think?

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So what's to become of this thread? What if people read the original post and never get this far to realize the advice is bogus?

A thread title change might help. What do you all think?

Post Fixed!

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I say delete it. I don't want to be passing along false information.
I won't delete the thread, as to many folks have replied, and some of the advice is valuable.

Do you think you can edit the original post to better reflect its content? Then maybe we can work on a title change.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I won't delete the thread, as to many folks have replied, and some of the advice is valuable.

Do you think you can edit the original post to better reflect its content? Then maybe we can work on a title change.

Post Fixed. Change the title? I can't do that from my side.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
How about "Personal Safety Tips - or Not"? Not all of the tips were bad ones, just maybe some of the "rapists say" stuff is not quite up to legitimate rights.

John Douglas, a former profiler with the FBI, has a book out called Mindhunter, coauthored with Mark Olshaker. It's primarily about serial killers, but you can mine it for a lot of things that women do "wrong" that allows attackers the opening they need.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
How 'bout editing the original post so it's a link to the snopes.com entry, with a note that this hoary old chestnut is going around again?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
And I've taken the liberty of editing the title. :)

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And sorry for the hoopla. My mom usually keeps my ear to the ground on stuff like this because she's been raped and robbed three times, by gun-point and knife-point. In the past, Oprah used to have a lot of safety tips on her show.

--
I guess while I'm at it, I might as well tell what my mom did "wrong" when she was raped at gun-point (although I do believe I shared this story a few months ago). My mom was never up on safety tips and what not to do in situations, which she says made her an easy target.

Her car broke down one night and a male stranger asked her if she needed help. She accepted. He's so nice, she thought. He helped her fix her car then he asked if she would give him a ride home. She was hesitant at first, but surely, someone who had just spent an hour helping her with her car was not out to get her. She said yes. She pulled up near his house (which was not his house) and he told her to go around back. She did. He pulled out a pistol, whipped her with it, dragged her out of the car and raped her repeatedly for hours.

I was young, but remember her coming home with a black eye and busted lip. She has never been the same since. But she's alive. Well, she's breathing.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Would everyone PLEASE take the Boulder Pledge!

Yes, THIS MEANS YOU!

The Boulder Pledge

"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community."
The original article by film critic Roger Ebert as printed in Yahoo! Life (anyone rember that magazine?):
http://www.panix.com/~tbetz/boulder.shtml
Look at the date, it's OVER TEN YEARS OLD. That is CENTURIES in net.time, and people STILL forward these chain-letter warnings and crap, STILL buy crap from spammers, and STILL believe their kidneys could be harvested by college med students to sell in the underground organ trade. Oh, the humanity!

And (without regard to the CONTENT of this writing - I only write this because it's a topic in this thread I feel is important) to women and other vulnerable people (I've sometimes found myself in a bad situation or bad area of town and thought I might get robbed or worse, but in retrospect being 6' 2" and 250 lbs probably makes me intimidating enough that people won't risk messing with me):

PLEASE get one of those cheap pepper-spray things and learn how to use it (even if you have a gun, there's less explaining to the police for firing off a pepper-sprayer, but still it's up to you to decide the best defense device to use in any particular situation). AND take some sort of martial arts and/or self-defense class. And/or find and do whatever other GOOD ADVICE is out there to defend yourself against any kind of personal/criminal assault.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back taillights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

I know the whole forward is bogus, but this item is a complete fantasy.

The taillight is encased in a metal housing. Even with the trunk open to give you plenty of room to swing a hammer, it's virtually impossible to break the taillight from inside the trunk. Even if you did, the hole wouldn't be big enough for you to stick your finger out of, much less your arm.

If you're really concerned about being shut up in the trunk of your car, keep a charged satellite phone in there. Or, get a car with a split back seat for loading cargo. Then at least you'll be able to push the seat down and get into the passenger compartment.

P.S. My neighbors now refer to me as "the strange lady who beats on her trunk with a hammer."