Florida Writers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
I just found the FL Writers Association which appears to have a few hundred members but I don’t know if any come to AbsoluteWrite. The forums on the FL Writers website don’t seem to be very active. Well, I’m for networking here no matter what - just thought I’d throw out another organization to see if anyone was familiar…

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I went to the site and found the Jacksonville group, which is where I live. We're such a backwater that we're lumped into the "Northeast Florida" group, although none of the other towns has more than 5% of our population.

The meeting place is a good 30 minute drive for me, but I might go check it out next month. Thanks for the tip.

I'll certainly mention AW to the group if I go, and I'll see if anyone owns up to knowing us.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from FL too but I doubt there would be any meetins near me, I am near Ocala, about an hour towards the water from Ocala. :)

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I live in Jax, and while I haven't tried FWA yet (I need to), I do belong to two others. POW (I won a contest and thus, membership), and NFW (I think, North Florida Writers). I was pretty disappointed with both, as it seems neither have published authors, unless you count self published, but I was hoping to get some insight as far as queries and such, but they know about as much as I do.

In fact, I was going to hit the FWA conference in November (the one in Orlando), but I got talked into the Jacksonville POW writers' conference that's the same weekend. It was really cheap, and I was worried about spending so much money with the other one being at Disney, plus the fee is crazy high for the FWA one.

Anyway, now I wish I would have dropped the cash for that one (though I still have no idea if it'd be worth it), because the other one seems to be a bit of a bust. They moved it to a community college, and it's now free (because no one was joining, I think), and one of the contests they have is for a publishing contract, but when I looked up the publisher, it was a vanity press...

*sigh* I wish there were successful authors in my area. I'm desperate for guidance. ;) Maybe FWA is the answer.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Groveland, near Orlando, but haven't managed to attend any as I'm not here very often these days.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I'm in Celebration (Kissimmee). I belong to FWA mainly because I like to attend the annual conference. We have a bi-weekly writers group in Celebration if anyone's interested...PM me for more details. I know there is at least one other member of FWA and our local group here too.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the badlands of central Florida. Not a whole lot of writers around here, except that I keep hoping I’ll meet Piers Anthony in the store. Our local FWA chapter just had a one-day meet and--Get this--Lucienne Diver was on the panel! One super classy lady. The other presenter was this self-pub’d guy whose entire talk seemed to be about don’t follow any agent’s rules or guidelines, just get crazy and in their face. Ms. Diver sat smiling the whole time and showed ne’re a hint of any urge to smack him around.

Several other author’s I met kept recommending PA to me. I gave them Absolute write’s URL.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone within spitting distance of Tampa up for a meeting? I'm thinking cheap coffee, public place, no hand grenades or small vicious animals...

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I just moved to BPC. Is anyone currently in this area? Are there any writer's groups or hangouts? I feel a need to be near creative people.

efemmeral

Registered
Reaction score
The Florida Writers Association has revamped their website. They've posted information about their annual conference. This year it's just north of Orlando in Lake Mary. And they also have a monthly newsletter and links to their various writing groups across the state.

I'm in Orlando. I've just joined the board and am finding my way around. I look forward to learning more about AW and the writers here.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Gainesville at the moment. I'm planning to move to St. Augustine in September or October.

Gainesville hosts a workshop called "Writing the Region" every summer. This year's has already passed, but some of you might be interested in attending next year. The website address for this year's workshop is: http://www.writingtheregion.com/

Round John Virgin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelboyd.us
The Florida Writers Association has revamped their website. They've posted information about their annual conference. This year it's just north of Orlando in Lake Mary. And they also have a monthly newsletter and links to their various writing groups across the state.

I'm in Orlando. I've just joined the board and am finding my way around. I look forward to learning more about AW and the writers here.

I'm in DeLand, just a bit north of Lake Mary. I see the conference isn't until November. Thanks for the info, efemmeral!

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else get a small chuckle out of the fact that there's a branch of the FWA in Asheville, NC?

Annayna

Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
*bump.* I'm in Tampa if anyone wants to meet and exchange stories or just hang out... PM me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.