• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Third person past tense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I've been told that "editors are looking for 3rd person past tense right now, " for fictions. Is it true??? If it's true, how important is it to write in the format?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Past tense is the most common tense, whether it's 1st or 3rd. I'm not sure what you mean by "write in the format?" Are you writing in present tense? 1st person POV?

I love 1st person. I strongly dislike present tense, no matter what POV. So for me as a reader, it's very important that the story be written in past tense. Either POV works, though.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
stories can work in whatever tense, if the writer's good enough. second person present: seen it done to great effect. third past is most common, and maybe more marketable, but what the hell do i know about marketable.

a brilliant spectrum of rejection letters? that i can tell you about.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
LOTTERY is first person and much is present tense.
FYI
It's the story and the writing they are looking for IMHO

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
LOTTERY is first person and much is present tense.
FYI
It's the story and the writing they are looking for IMHO

Just goes to show you that brilliant writing trumps all. I read Lottery in one sitting and if I'd been asked, I would've sworn it was 1st POV/ past tense. I was tempted to go get my copy to see if you were right. Then I realized how dumb of an idea that was. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I've been told that "editors are looking for 3rd person past tense right now, " for fictions. Is it true??? If it's true, how important is it to write in the format?

Agents and editors have always preferred third person, past tense from new writers. And from old writers, for that matter. This is the way the majority of novels have always been written, and probably the way the great majority of novels always will be written.

This does not mean you can't write in first person past tense, or first person present tense, or second person no tense, it just means most first time writers usually handle third person, past tense better than anything else, and the majority of the reading pubic prefers third person, past tense.

And there is some personal prejudice. I simply cannot read present tense novels. I don't like them, and I get jerked out of the story about every three sentences. A fair number of agents, editors, and the reading pubic share this prejudice. So if you write in present tense, you have an extra hurdle to jump. But it's one that can be jumped, if you write a novel that's good enough.

But for the average new writer, yes, you stand a considerably better chance of selling a book that's third person limited, past tense.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
RONFLMAO Deadly!!! I can't tell you how many people are convinced LOTTERY is all in the past tense. James makes a good point. I will say though if you go smoothly in and out of past and present so that the reader is not aware of it you have done your job - There are many good novels that do this - If it is done to obviously it does tend to jerk a reader out of the story as James says.
As Outback says, "NO RULES...JUST RIGHT"

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
I see. It was my teacher who is conducting a free online class on writing.com who told me that. I think writing.com is mostly populated with teenagers and new writers, and that might've been why she said this. She said that this is a up-to-date information. But I was browsing The Literary Review" and it just happened that a few I read were all in 1st person and I was very impressed with them, so I wanted to check in with my trusted source, the board!

In the very beginning I did have a problem with tense. I guess I still get a little confused. For example, when I'm in the past tense, sometimes I wanted to use past perfect tense. But I wasn't sure how I go in and out of the two. Or when I was writing in present tense and I wanted to use present perfect.

For now, I try to keep my writing as simple as possible, and use those grammatical acrobatics as sparingly as possible, haha.

But I aspire to write beautifully one day!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Which bonehead/scam artist told you that? OK, I understand some people don't like present tense, but why third person?

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
I agree that 3rd person -all knowing POV- present tense is a bit dif. But it can work well if done carefuly.

Stiff limbs bend like grass as a sudden gust roars throught the trees taking leaves with it. John stop in his tracks. He stares into the dense follige above. "Wait Bill, stay where you are."
He keeps walking, "Why?"
Crack- The wind claims a branch. It decends upon Bill's head.
"Nevermind."

Maybe the above is not a good example, but I don't find it hard to read.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
For example, when I'm in the past tense, sometimes I wanted to use past perfect tense. But I wasn't sure how I go in and out of the two. Or when I was writing in present tense and I wanted to use present perfect.
The perfect and progressive tenses are part of past tense -- meaning a novel written in past tense would have places where past perfect or past progressive are used, and those tenses are the *correct* choice. You just need to understand the tenses and evaluate your sentences to see which is appropriate.

Maybe the above is not a good example, but I don't find it hard to read.
And I do, but that's because I just don't enjoy reading present tense. That doesn't mean I *absolutely* won't read a novel written in present tense. I will, if the writing really grabs me. But it has to grab and not let go -- and that is hard to pull off.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I recently wrote a horror story in first person present and loved it. In fact, I had no idea I was doing it until about halfway through. It's written from the POV of an investigator who is questioning someone who's had a horrific experience.

Generally I write in first person past or third person past, but I loved writing in present. It reminded me of how many of my older relatives used to talk when relating experiences from their past or childhood. If done right, it reads well and has an immediacy other POVS lack.

Example from my dad: "I see that the swan is just sitting there, so I say why the heck not?" (From a story my dad told me about something that happened to him in WWII.)

:D

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Maybe I'm wrong, but there has been a sea change. It's become seen as so hard to break into the market that lots of new authors are trying the unconventional. That surge probably has publishers and agents begging for something more recognizable... less sizzle, more steak.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
I've read magazine submission guidelines for two magazines recently that strongly discourage first person. I don't really understand that, and in the notes that explained it for one, I was pretty convinced that *I* wasn't doing these inappropriate things with the choice (which probably means I was, but I couldn't find 'em) but still seems weird to me. First person is such an immediate choice...

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know what you're writing, but 1st person seems to be pretty popular in YA. Hunger Games is 1st-person present...which really made sense for the story. Often, present-tense is jarring to me because I'm used to past, but this felt natural after the first chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.