Just the Facts, Ma'am

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! :hi:

I'm wondering, since YAs tend to move more quickly and gloss over more tedious details than adult novels, how much is okay to flub? I mean, is an agent/editor/reader going to get bent because the MC attends a class that runs for 9 months in real life, but in the novel it's only 3?

Can anyone tell me--do YAs sweat the small stuff? :Shrug:

Thanks! :D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I dunno . . . I think of all the reading groups, kids are more sticklers for the small details. However I think as long as you aren't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, it's okay, but don't assume that people won't notice if it is rather obvious (a girl gets pregnant in August and gives birth at Christmas)

What sort of class are you talking about?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say don't flub it if you don't have to.

You don't have to describe every session in detail or even mention it, but if people are going to recognize the class, they might be turned off if you're shortening it?

YA readers like myself are looking for just as much realism as any reader of adult books.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I should clarify...we certainly aren't trying to purposefully be maliciously deceptive or underestimate the readers. In this particular instance, the length of this class is not common knowledge. One would have to take the time to look up the course online if they were to find out anything about it.

That all said, I'm starting to think a fictional school is sounding like a better plan. :Shrug:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Well if no one is going to notice...no one is going to notice. It's.....a subjective call :D

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it depends on how obvious it is. If I knew the cooking school was supposed to last 9 months, and it didn't in the book without explaination, I'd be very annoyed. I've read books with similar things where timing just doesn't match up or certain details are strange and don't make sense. When I notice I really notice and that's basically what I remember about the book later. (Of course, I remember the story and characters, too, but I won't forget a timing error).

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Will the length of the class affect the action or the outcome in a way that kids reading it will say, "Hey, wait--that class was only 3 months and it was supposed to be 9!"? If not, don't worry about it.

greywaren

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, go fictional, baby. Because they you can take liberties with the structure, teachers, politics, grounds, etc., to make it work for you. And no one will mind that it's fictional. But the one reader who does know about that class and its length will be cheesed off, and they'll tell the next person the book was great, but . . . and the next person will tell the next . . .

My two cents anyway! I read YA all the time, and bad details tick me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.