Literary Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyBidar

Is there anyone else who is frustrated by reading literary fiction? I recently picked up a Pulitzer Prize winner, intending to, uh, broaden my horizons, if you will. I can't manage to get past the first chapter. The book jumps from head to head, past to present tense, is full of authorial intrusions, and is 99% narrative.

Granted, it's one book. But there have been others which disappointed me as well. Cold Mountain comes to mind, with it's conspicuous lack of quotation marks. Then there was a short by Annie Proulx where a young girl has a series of conversations with a rusting tractor.

Honestly, give me Stephen King any day. I don't want to have to work so hard to understand the nuances and subtleties of literary fiction. I just want to be entertained.

Or am I just that dense? :head

macalicious731

I love literary fiction. I really do. It's ridiculous how excited I can be in lit. class. I feel like a freak! (;

But in all honesty, a lot of that "appreciation" comes from sitting in the class and taking in all of the analyzation, etc. Plus I've had some really amazing, amazing teachers in the past.

Now that high school is over, I'm more apt to pick up literary fiction in the bookstore than anything else. I think they tend to have better, more original stories. More character driven, if you will, which I really love.

Of course, when a book doesn't have quotation marks... I don't know - that's something which bothers me!

Writing Again

I see literary fiction as pretty much of a genre, some of it clicks, some of it does not. Some authors are preferable over others.

This is true of any genre. For instance in fantasy I enjoy David Eddings, but one David Eddings is enough.

My problem is with the elitist attitude of so many literary writers which often shows in their writings. Literary writing is not innately "Superior" to any other genre.

I personally enjoy Kafka. But I do not enjoy him any more than I enjoy Edgar Rice Burroughs or Margery Allingham. One is not better than the other. Either you enjoy one or the other or some or all or none. It is as simple as that.

Jamesaritchie

literary fiction

I love literary fiction. When done right, I think it's the best reading out there.

But literary fiction or genre fiction, you have to remember Sturgeon's Law: "Sure, 90% of science fiction is crud. That's because 90% of everything is crud."

Try the short stories of Raymond Carver or John Updike or Joyce Carol Oates.

Clearrr

Re: literary fiction

A man after my own heart... I adore Updike and Oates

vstrauss

>> I see literary fiction as pretty much of a genre,<<

I totally agree. "Literary" is a genre, a type of fiction; as with any genre, it embraces a wide range of quality and style, and not everything in it is worth reading. A given reader may prefer it to other genres, but it isn't better or more worthy than other genres.

"Literary" is also a quality of writing. In that sense, you can find literary fiction in just about any genre.

- Victoria

Dhewco

I tend to look for the characters rather than the genre...although I do tend to hang out in the scifi/fantasy sections. I like books with kids or young teens as POV characters. I read a book called Spendthrift (phylis somebody lol can't remember the author) because their was a boy who was my age. This was some years ago mind you. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the book, but I finished it and that's a good sign.

I just remembered the last name. I believe it was Whitney.

Yeshanu

For instance in fantasy I enjoy David Eddings, but one David Eddings is enough.

That's because if you've read the first set of five, you've read them all.

I love fantasy, but one of the problems with the genre is that authors who only have one book in them seem compelled to write twenty or more. :ack

As to "literary" fiction, I like some of it and I don't like some of it. I tend to like writers who have strong characters, a strong story, and a unique voice.

Toni Morrison comes to mind as a prize-winning author who does this. And she uses all the conventions, too. ;)

SpeedRacist

I worship at the feets of Oates, but my head is with William Gibson, Alfred Bester, Ross Macdonald, and Ed McBain.

Jamesaritchie

literary

I believe the fiction in any genre can rise to to the level of literature in the hands of a good writer, but I'm mixed on whether literary fiction is just another genre.

Whether it is or isn't, I think there's a major difference in either characterization or situation. Most "literary" fiction is about ordinary people in ordinary situations.
If not, then it's about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. "Grapes of Wrath" is an example of this. But even there, even when the situation is not something that occurs everyday, it's a real situation portrayed realistically.

Literary fiction is most often about everyday people leading everyday lives. It's realistic front to back.

I do think it takes better writing to pull off stories about everyday people in everyday situations than it does to pull off stories about extraordinary people in extraordinary situations.

Genre fiction almost always protrays situations that are extraordinary, and most often has characters who are extraordinary.

Stylistically, genre fiction is much more action oriented, and the language used reflects this.

SpeedRacist

Re: literary

I don't know if that's true, James. Wambaugh pulled off somethin close to poetry, when he talked about everyday cops in everyday life.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has been raised from the dead.

Thread Necromancy is a vile disease. In order to slay a ressurected thread, the the thread must be shot in the head with a silver bullet.

Yours,

Necromancer Bart, who is raising an army.

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
*stands*

My name is Nicole, and I'm addicted to literary fiction.

I just graduated this spring with a degree in English (writing concentration), and I preferred reading classics and literary fiction to anything else. I enjoy some contemporary fiction, but given the choice, I'll choose William Faulkner over even contemporary authors considered the most influential of our time (or whatever they're considered).

I read fiction for the symbolism, themes, motifs, the depth of characters, and the subtle nuances that tend to frustrate others.

Example: When I was a junior in high school, I took British Literature. We read The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. Throughout the play, which we read out loud, the only people that laughed were the teacher and myself. To this day, it's one of my favorite plays. Everyone else hated it.

To summarize: hooray for literary fiction!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I enjoy reading narration in literary fiction. Guess I'm a freak type of reader, although there must be some people who like it, since it wins so many awards.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
Actually, I enjoy reading narration in literary fiction. Guess I'm a freak type of reader, although there must be some people who like it, since it wins so many awards.

Amen.

I like the narrator and I like different narrator voices. I think narration needs to and will come back strong.

:)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
*Sound of writer falling off chair, explosive laughter, and liquid spewing out nostrils*
Good one.

Philip64

sticking his oar in...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thiswriterstale.blogspot.com
It is very difficult to define what literary fiction actually is. Usually it can only be described in terms of what it is not, but even then one finds endless exceptions to any rule.

That said, I think it is inaccurate to say that 'literary' is a genre. That implies that there are essential story elements that must be present (as with Crime or Science Fiction); obviously there are no such elements. Also, I think it is vaguely derogatrory to lump thousands of unique and very different works under one heading: the novels of Philip Roth, Marcel Proust and Gabriel Garcia Marquez have nothing in common - not even a language.

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
I totally get where you're coming from with the literary fiction, but I suppose it depends which book you pick up. Jodi Piccoult is an absolutely unputdownable read, especially her newer one, The Tenth Circle. Patricia Gregory had one good book, The Other Boylen Girl (think I spelt that wrong) although I couldn't manage to finish the other ones...I loved Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (God, I sound like such a dweeb) and I'm chugging through The Divine Comedy in order to "broaden my horizons, expand my mind, and become more cultured" (not something you really need in my circle, but hey
icon12.gif

Annwyn

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I have to side with the posters stating that literary is a genre of sorts(and a murky one at that) and not a measure of quality. As such, there is both good and bad on the same shelf.

That said, and as the original poster mentioned Proulx, I will say that The Shipping News is one of my favorite books of all time.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Cmon, James - that's ridiculously reductive.

You're saying that the only difference between Ondaatje's In the Skin of A Lion and King's The Stand is who published them? Ridiculous.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Literary fiction, by the very nature of its not adhering to a formula or set of standard genre expectations, can be highly experimental. And, by virtue of experimentation, is often closer to writing as "art". It doesn't care as much if it sells, it just cares if it transcends. However, the experimental aspects of some literary fiction don't work for a lot of people (or simply don't work at all) because they've never been tried. Hence the often lower sales of literary novels.

The Alchemist, a small, simple book, has no lyrical language, but it moved a generation of readers and is, indeed, an international best seller. A literary novel that, remarkably, sold more than 5000 copies. And it's hardly the only example.

I think defining what's literary is far more complex than a stamp on a spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.