James Marsters in Torchwood

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6900670.stm

I've been on a bit of a high horse lately about celebrities seemingly getting parts in Doctor Who etc. over less well-known actors, but... I'll definitely be watching Torchwood now. Even if he's only in it for one episode. Cor!

ETA: I'm referring above to Kylie, not the brilliant Derek Jacobi.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about that, too. I shall have to watch really closely to assuage my curiosity. :e2brows:

Did you see him in Andromeda? He had some nice outfits in that. :)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Throw in some shackles and a blindfold and I think I'll have a bite, too. :e2brows:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, bollocks, now I have to watch Torchwood.

Reaction score
The Barrowman AND The Marsters in the one episode? My ladyparts will explode!

It was bad enough with the Barrowman/Simm/Tennant combo in the last series of Doctor Who...

Reaction score
I'll quite happily say, "I'd ride him into the ground." Because I'm shameless like that. :D

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! That first scene between them was definitely one for later contemplation. Better than I could have imagined it. A great opening episode for the new season, and I'll bet we haven't seen the last of Capt. John Hart.

"Oh, that's gorgeous."

"That's a poodle."

"S'nice."

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
!!!SPOILERS!!!

If anyone wants to discuss how the unimaginative and often desperate writers of Torchwood use stuff like Captain Jack smooching

2captains.jpg

with guest star Captain James Hart (James Marsters)

capjohn.jpg

to make what's still essentially a children's Sci-Fi show appear more suitable for the later adult time slot, let me know and I'll chuck my 2 cents in!

Just before they have their High Noon showdown and beat the crap out of each other, because Jack is soooooo angry with Spike, grrr, the team were chasing a plastic fish head alien (English-speaking, of course) driving a sports car and taking hostages for... well, for no good reason.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

Warning, adult content, indeed! Cardiff is just the in-place for aliens, look you. Maybe it's built on a Hellmouth.

(This post recycled from another forum.)

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first episode, and thought it started badly, went into total bollocks overdrive after about three minutes, and went downhill from there. Even James Marsters couldn't compensate for the beyond-awful script.

Sat down to watch the second episode, and then thought, Why? It's rubbish, and I'm not looking forward to it at all. So I deleted it and the series link.

Both Torchwood and Doctor Who are shows that I feel I have to watch, as they are the only sci-fi on terrestrial TV.

Edit to add: plaidearthworm, I did like that 'poodle' quote. It was the one entertaining part of the episode!

Last edited:

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the second episode - Nikki Amuka Bird is such an underrated actress - but the first bored me rigid (and why didn't they just cut off Hart's hand?).

The omni-sexuality thing really annoys me. Gay, fine. Straight, fine. but why does everyone have to be everything? I really hated it that

spoiler alert

now even Ianto is into Jack, when he was so heart-broken over his girlfriend before.

Like I said before, 'Doctor Who Behind the Bikesheds' - that's Torchwood as far as I'm concerned.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the second episode - Nikki Amuka Bird is such an underrated actress - but the first bored me rigid (and why didn't they just cut off Hart's hand?).

The omni-sexuality thing really annoys me. Gay, fine. Straight, fine. but why does everyone have to be everything? I really hated it that

spoiler alert

now even Ianto is into Jack, when he was so heart-broken over his girlfriend before.

Like I said before, 'Doctor Who Behind the Bikesheds' - that's Torchwood as far as I'm concerned.
Ianto was into Jack last season.

I think it's only Jack who's omni-sexual....

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Ianto was into Jack last season.

I think it's only Jack who's omni-sexual....
Oh. OK. I stopped watching towards the end of the season.

kellysarah

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE Torchwood! I'm desperately awaiting...

SPOILER...
Martha!
And I'm from Cardiff, so I love playing spot the landmark. :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
It may have been missed in all the snogging, etc, but the fish alien was Captain John Hart's partner in crime.
The latest episode, with the first world war soldier and Toshiko, was just lovely.

It really was very sweet and sad. The scene between Jack and Ianto was off the scale.

And good news, Captain John Hart (note the sarcasm lol) will be back in a later episode. The producers liked him so much, they decided to bring him back. Go James.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
i just wanted to add that in the episode, Ianto, very gleefully too, suggests cutting off his hand but they couldnt do it because it would trigger the detonation. Now that bit, it was very quick, may have been cut out of the BBC AMerica version. they cut quite a bit to make it fit north american running times.