PDA

View Full Version : James Marsters in Torchwood

Sophia
07-16-2007, 06:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6900670.stm

I've been on a bit of a high horse lately about celebrities seemingly getting parts in Doctor Who etc. over less well-known actors, but... I'll definitely be watching Torchwood now. Even if he's only in it for one episode. Cor!

ETA: I'm referring above to Kylie, not the brilliant Derek Jacobi.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Ooh. I wonder if he takes his shirt off? :D

Sophia
07-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm curious about that, too. I shall have to watch really closely to assuage my curiosity. :e2brows:

Did you see him in Andromeda? He had some nice outfits in that. :)

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I could really go for a slice of Spike pie, covered in ice-cream. :e2brows:

Sophia
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Throw in some shackles and a blindfold and I think I'll have a bite, too. :e2brows:

zahra
07-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, bollocks, now I have to watch Torchwood.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
The Barrowman AND The Marsters in the one episode? My ladyparts will explode!

It was bad enough with the Barrowman/Simm/Tennant combo in the last series of Doctor Who...

DeadlyAccurate
07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
He's still lookin' good, isn't he?

zahra
07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
He's still lookin' good, isn't he?
'Good-looking'???

And you call yourself a writer!;)

DeadlyAccurate
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
'Good-looking'???

And you call yourself a writer!;)

I could say, "If I weren't happily married, I wouldn't mind jumping his bones," but I'm far too ladylike to say anything of the sort.

scarletpeaches
07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll quite happily say, "I'd ride him into the ground." Because I'm shameless like that. :D

Sage
01-27-2008, 06:25 AM
OMG, how great is this episode!?

plaidearthworm
01-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Whoa! That first scene between them was definitely one for later contemplation. Better than I could have imagined it. A great opening episode for the new season, and I'll bet we haven't seen the last of Capt. John Hart.

"Oh, that's gorgeous."

"That's a poodle."

"S'nice."

dpaterso
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
!!!SPOILERS!!!

If anyone wants to discuss how the unimaginative and often desperate writers of Torchwood use stuff like Captain Jack smooching

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/2captains.jpg

with guest star Captain James Hart (James Marsters)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/capjohn.jpg

to make what's still essentially a children's Sci-Fi show appear more suitable for the later adult time slot, let me know and I'll chuck my 2 cents in!

Just before they have their High Noon showdown and beat the crap out of each other, because Jack is soooooo angry with Spike, grrr, the team were chasing a plastic fish head alien (English-speaking, of course) driving a sports car and taking hostages for... well, for no good reason.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/fish1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/fish2.jpg

Warning, adult content, indeed! Cardiff is just the in-place for aliens, look you. Maybe it's built on a Hellmouth.

(This post recycled from another forum.)

-Derek

Sophia
01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I watched the first episode, and thought it started badly, went into total bollocks overdrive after about three minutes, and went downhill from there. Even James Marsters couldn't compensate for the beyond-awful script.

Sat down to watch the second episode, and then thought, Why? It's rubbish, and I'm not looking forward to it at all. So I deleted it and the series link.

Both Torchwood and Doctor Who are shows that I feel I have to watch, as they are the only sci-fi on terrestrial TV.

Edit to add: plaidearthworm, I did like that 'poodle' quote. It was the one entertaining part of the episode!

maestrowork
01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I think John Hart is a great character. Too bad the writing is still rather bad.

zahra
01-28-2008, 03:22 AM
I liked the second episode - Nikki Amuka Bird is such an underrated actress - but the first bored me rigid (and why didn't they just cut off Hart's hand?).

The omni-sexuality thing really annoys me. Gay, fine. Straight, fine. but why does everyone have to be everything? I really hated it that

spoiler alert

now even Ianto is into Jack, when he was so heart-broken over his girlfriend before.

Like I said before, 'Doctor Who Behind the Bikesheds' - that's Torchwood as far as I'm concerned.

Sage
01-28-2008, 03:44 AM
I liked the second episode - Nikki Amuka Bird is such an underrated actress - but the first bored me rigid (and why didn't they just cut off Hart's hand?).

The omni-sexuality thing really annoys me. Gay, fine. Straight, fine. but why does everyone have to be everything? I really hated it that

spoiler alert

now even Ianto is into Jack, when he was so heart-broken over his girlfriend before.

Like I said before, 'Doctor Who Behind the Bikesheds' - that's Torchwood as far as I'm concerned.Ianto was into Jack last season.

I think it's only Jack who's omni-sexual....

zahra
01-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Ianto was into Jack last season.

I think it's only Jack who's omni-sexual....
Oh. OK. I stopped watching towards the end of the season.

Cathy C
01-28-2008, 03:53 AM
:Wha: Hart was Marsters? Wow. Didn't recognize him at all. But I did enjoy the first episode. It's become a regular show in my house. :)

DL Hegel
01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
loved the episode--thought it was funny. total camp

kellysarah
01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I LOVE Torchwood! I'm desperately awaiting...

SPOILER...
Martha!
And I'm from Cardiff, so I love playing spot the landmark. :)

Evaine
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
It may have been missed in all the snogging, etc, but the fish alien was Captain John Hart's partner in crime.
The latest episode, with the first world war soldier and Toshiko, was just lovely.

nevada
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
It may have been missed in all the snogging, etc, but the fish alien was Captain John Hart's partner in crime.
The latest episode, with the first world war soldier and Toshiko, was just lovely.

It really was very sweet and sad. The scene between Jack and Ianto was off the scale.

And good news, Captain John Hart (note the sarcasm lol) will be back in a later episode. The producers liked him so much, they decided to bring him back. Go James.

nevada
02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
i just wanted to add that in the episode, Ianto, very gleefully too, suggests cutting off his hand but they couldnt do it because it would trigger the detonation. Now that bit, it was very quick, may have been cut out of the BBC AMerica version. they cut quite a bit to make it fit north american running times.

Cassiopeia
02-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I must say, while I am not a fan of Torchwood, the latest episode which I believed was Saturday, February 2nd was quite good.

My son sets our DVR to record the show. I tried to watch the first one of two that were recorded last night and the one with "Spike" and that is who I kept remembering him as. I turned it off and went and did something else as I found him uninteresting and yet I did like him on Buffy.

Go figure.

Sage
02-04-2008, 07:38 AM
So the first season they went dark because they wrote it quick and apparently dark is easier than funny. This season they wanted funny. Very clearly they looked at the characters and said, "Ianto isn't very developed yet. Let's make him funny."

Personally, I'm enjoying funny Ianto.

maestrowork
02-04-2008, 07:19 PM
It's also arguably less sex and more aliens this season.

GeorgeK
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Were there 2 episodes with Marsters? I only saw one and he left through the rift at the end. And what's with the hand?

nevada
02-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Were there 2 episodes with Marsters? I only saw one and he left through the rift at the end. And what's with the hand?

So far there has been only one episode but later in the series there's another one with him, I don't know which one.

The hand. When Captain John Hart handcuffed himself to Gwen and swallowed the key, it was suggested, gleefully,by Ianto to cut off his hand to get her free, but it would have detonated the bomb so they couldn't do that. Like I said, that might have been cut out in the American broadcast. It was right at the end of a scene and was almost a throw-away line.