• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Echelon Press

Stlight

Could anyone tell me how editors, reviewers, agents and publisher view Echelon Press? I'm not concerned with the reality of Echelon Press, but how it is perceived in the world. Thanks.

HapiSofi

Unless they've somehow had dealings with it, I doubt they're particularly conscious of it. There are lots of small presses, of varying degrees of cluefulness and legitimacy.

Stlight

Given that Echelon is relatively unknown, should I include them on the query and/or cover letter to an agent? Or will the unknown factor immediately click to self-publishing rather than small indy? Again, I'm speaking of perception. I know Echelon is small indy, but I'm not pretending that I can persuade someone who thinks they are self that they are not.

James D Macdonald

Legitimate small press? Sure, include them. It won't take an agent more than two seconds to Google them up.

The rule for cover letters is to only include your three most recent, most impressive sales.

(If you don't have any sales, you don't need to mention that fact.)

EllenG

Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a MS a couple of years ago and got an encouraging email back. I waited 3 months, emailed them again, another encouraging email- the editor was just behind schedule. Finally after many months I emailed again and they were not interested in my MS. I wasted a lot of time on them and they are just POD.
Ellen

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As with many small POD-based publishers, it's my impression that Echelon has very limited ability to market and distribute its books (i.e., this is another of those publishers whose books rarely get bookstore placement). There are also some nonstandard aspects to its contract.

- Victoria

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
I have a novella with Echelon and while hearing back regarding my submission took a few months, it went off without a hitch. My SECOND submission was ignored, and that was after several attempts to find out if they were at least interested.

Advance to royalty statement time, and I received mine, only the royalties were based on the price of the much shorter Dollar Downloads, and again an email went ignored.

While the owners are working hard at getting their name out, and are starting to achieve a modecum of success, I think its the little things like this that are frustrating. I have not placed any further work with this publisher, although I know some writers are very, very happy with them.

Jenn

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I inquired to Echelon about two of my under 15k short stories for their downloads section. :banana: I queried about some of the details for the dollar downloads, including pay and rights.

They responded within the hour ( :cool: )with this:

Our download contract is set up on a scale.

The Author shall receive royalties based on the following schedule:

· 1 - 250 book sold 40 percent (40%) net price

· 251 - 500 book sold 45 percent (45%) net price

· 501 - up book sold 50 percent (50%) net price

Net is based on retail price minus actual distribution discount.

The above is structured this way because we sell via Fictionwise and they require a $15.00 advance formatting fee and also offer discounts its new titles.

Grant of Rights

The Author on behalf of herself and her heirs, executors, administrators, and successors exclusively grants, assigns, and transfers to the Publisher and its licensees, and successors, the rights to the Work for the period of two years from the actual date of publication, or longer with written agreement between the Author and the Publisher. This shall include all electronic formats, including future formats not yet invented.

I was a little unclear about the Grant of Rights so I emailed again asking how indefinite this 'all' was. :e2thud: Again within the hour:

We only have rights of any kind -- including future -- for the period of the contract.

They've inquired on both my stories and I a pretty sure about sending them. Any read flags based on these responses? Besides the net from a $2.50 download won't be much, it looks like a good contact. :e2arms:

??

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
A friend of mine has her book out through Echelon, and she seems quite pleased with them.

I sent them two manuscripts which were rejected. Right now they have two others of mine since November - no word yet.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I submitted one today via email after several days of correspondence with the editor. Toni, I'd send a query email about the status of your submission. It's been almost three months, and she responded to my query very quickly.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Kristin

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
So far, they seem to be a pretty nice group. A little slow on the e-mail response time, but I chalk that up to the holiday rush (I e-mailed just before Xmas). Still waiting on word of a release date for my work though.....

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I had a piece included in one of their anthologies --"Crumbs in the Keyboard." The proceeds went to charity. I was very impressed with the books and found them in my local B&N.

heatheringemar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, not bad, not bad at all. I signed my contract in December, and yesterday I recieved my release information and my cover. I would have preferred a little bit more expedience on the e-mail replies, however, I kinda get the impression that everyone's juggling different duties, so that's cool. (Of course, I'm pretty new to all this, so I don't know the time averages on responses and such)

So far, I'm pretty happy with them. I might try out another publisher or two with some other fiction of mine, just to see how things go (and get a bit more experience, lol!), but so far I like Echelon and am pleased with how they run things.

heatheringemar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just finished the edits for my book that comes out tomorrow, and I think their editing is top-notch. Out of a (roughly) 5500 word MS, I caught only two misspellings in their version, no punctuation errors, and I thought their layout & design of the story was very nicely done.

No complaints here! :)

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
Any update on these guys recently? I noticed their ownership changed hands in 2005, so I wondered if Victoria's concerns are still valid? Any info appreciated.

Cheers,
RTH

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Echelon has improved its contract, and Writer Beware hasn't gotten any recent complaints. However, it looks to me as if its distribution is still limited to wholesalers and direct-from-the-publisher orders.

- Victoria

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I recently contracted with them for my novel, Witch's Pawn. I do know that the owner, Karen, works very hard on distribution, attends TONS of bookfairs, is constantly after the authors to work on promotion, has the print books placed thru Barnes & Noble. They do a lot of selling to libraries and independant bookstore.